• Published 11th Nov 2013
  • 704 Views, 18 Comments

Apple Family Adventures: A big surprise - Writagon



A story of Applejack and Pinkie Pie on their way to Manehattan, little do they know what surprise awaits them there.

  • ...
2
 18
 704

Chapter 1

It was early in the morning; the sun was rising when Applejack was awoken from her slumber by the sound of the rooster crowing. She sat up in the bed with the sheet under her fore hooves, her mane slightly messy from her night’s sleep. She pushed the sheet aside and slid her hind hooves off the edge of the bed, placing them on the wooden floor, sliding off fully onto her fore hooves next, and standing on all fours. She made her way over to the vanity against the wall with her cowboy hat sitting on it, taking a look into the mirror at her ruffled mane and turning her head left and right looking at her hair that was out of place, she raised her right hoof up in front of her muzzle spitting onto it before using it to fix her mane back in place. Grabbing her hat with her teeth off the vanity, she flips it onto her head, landing perfectly in place and smiles looking in the mirror. Applejack then made her way out of her room heading downstairs to the kitchen, seeing Granny Smith and Big Mac already awake and cooking breakfast.

There were eggs, toast and buttermilk apple pancakes in pans and on plates, ready to be eaten. Applejack smiled and said "Good morning, what's got you two in a cooking mood?" She looked at both of them

Big Mac turning around in an apron with a pan handle held in his mouth, setting it down and saying "Don't you know?"

Applejack looked confused, turning to Granny Smith who was smiling as she turned her head some to look back at Applejack while she stirred a bowl with a wooden spoon and saying "Come on now Applejack, surely you remembered what day it is?" She chuckled some.

Applejack looked baffled now, rubbing her head with a hoof before she heard Apple Bloom coming down the stairs and shouting "Applejack! Good morning!" She smiled running over to Applejack and hugging her big sister with her fore hooves.

Applejack smiled and hugged her little sister back "Well good morning Apple Bloom, what day am I forgetting exactly?"

Apple Bloom looked surprised at her big sister and said "Applejack don't you know what today is?"

Applejack looked confused at her and replied "Uh, Monday?"

Apple Bloom giggled and smiled, shaking her head and said "No silly it’s your birthday!" she happily announced, raising her fore hooves in the air.

Applejack softly smacked her own head with her hoof and replied "Well shoot sugarcube I have been working so much lately I forgot my own birthday for Celestias' sake!" She sighed, shaking her head.

Granny Smith, having been watching them, smiled "And that's why you're not raising a hoof to do a lick of work today missy, I’ve even got the best party pony in Ponyville to come help you have the best birthday ever!"

Applejack thought a moment before she responded "You don't mean you got..."

But she got cut off by Pinkie Pie bursting through the door with her party cannon in front of her and a party hat on her head smiling brightly before she shouted "Happy birthday AJ!!"

Pinkie Pie reached her hoof down to the rope of her cannon, pulling on it and firing it in the house, sending balloons and streamers all over the place, complete with a tablecloth and plates landing onto the table. Pinkie bounced her way over to Applejack, putting a party hat on her head in exchange for her cowboy hat and placed a birthday cake onto the table.

Applejack shook her head before saying "Pinkie Pie you can't eat cake for breakfast."

Pinkie Pie looked confused before replying with a smile "Of course you can silly filly, it is your birthday after all!"

Applejack smiled at Pinkie and said "Well that's awful nice of you Pinkie, but Granny Smith and Big Mac are already cooking breakfast." She motioned her hoof over in their direction in the kitchen,

Pinkie smiled and replied "Well you can have cake for dessert, after breakfast!" She squeed and bounced around Applejack before she spoke again "Oh! Oh! I want you to have a super special day today so I'm going to take you to Manehattan for a few days of super spectacular fun fun fun!"

Applejack looked at Pinkie in surprise “A weekend away from the farm!? No way, no how! I can’t leave the farm for a few days Pinkie Pie there’s far too much work to be done!”

Pinkie pouted and looked sadly at Applejack "But I bought our train tickets already..." picking the tickets up off the table in her mouth showing them to Applejack.

Granny Smith turned toward the two of them "Oh you'll be going missy, I wanted Pinkie Pie here to show you a hoof shaking good time in Manehattan. Why I remember when I was young when I went to Manehattan with yet aunt and Uncle Orange and had the best time! They enjoyed the city so much they decided to stay there. And it’s time for you Applejack to go out off the farm for a few days, when's the last time you saw your aunt and Uncle Orange any who?"

Applejack thought for a bit "Well shoot Granny I haven't seen them since I went there when I was a filly trying to earn my cutie mark. I reckon it wouldn't hurt to visit them for a few days. Manehattan was a mighty impressive city. Besides I think it about time Apple Bloom here had herself some more responsibility around the farm."

She smiled looking at Apple Bloom, who looked excited and was bouncing up and down on her hooves before she spoke "You really think I can be responsible enough to help Granny Smith and Big Mac around the farm Applejack?!"

Applejack nodded while smiling still at her "I sure do Apple Bloom."

Apple Bloom smiled wide at her big sister "Maybe I’ll earn my cutie mark! I should get Sweetie Bell and Scootaloo so we can all be responsible! I wonder what a cutie mark for responsibility will look like?!" After she finished talking Apple Bloom grabbed a piece of toast in her mouth and ran off in a hurry out the front door,

Applejack giggled watching her run out the door "That little filly sure is impatient in finding her special talent. Just make sure the three of them don't make a big mess of the farm will you Big Mac?"

She said, looking over to Big Mac who smiled and nodded "Eeyup."

Applejack sighed before looking back at Pinkie Pie still holding the two train tickets in her mouth "Alright Pinkie, I would be happy to go with you to Manehattan for a few days."

Pinkie smiled happily and dashed over to Applejack hugging her tight with her fore hooves "That's the spirit! We're going to have some much fun! There will be games and parties and the carnival and the movies and mimes and the circus! There's so many stores and food and clothes and toys and desserts! Oh and everypony will have to sing you happy birthday!!"

Applejack giggled at Pinkie "That sure does sound like a whole lot to do in a few days Pinkie, I reckon I’ll be following your lead though since you know so much about Manehattan."

Pinkie smiled raising a hoof pointing it at herself "You can count on me!"

Granny Smith announced "Breakfast is ready! Are you going to join us, Pinkie?" she smiled.

Pinkie beamed and plopped herself down in a chair at the table "I would love to! It smelled so super good in here it made me hungry!" Granny Smith and Big Mac were already on their way over to the table with the plates of food, setting them down. Pinkie Pie helped herself to a stack of buttermilk apple pancakes with syrup on them. Applejack, Granny Smith and Big Mac all picked out a little of each to put on their plates.

The four of them happily chowed down on their food, Pinkie Pie munching on the stack of pancakes and getting her muzzle messy with syrup and licking it off afterwards. She lifts up a cup of milk with her mouth and took a drink to wash down the pancakes "That was great Granny Smith! Thanks for feeding me breakfast, and AJ, be sure you be ready to leave by the afternoon for our super fun trip to Manehattan!" said Pinkie Pie.

Applejack smiled at Pinkie and replied "You bet sugarcube, I figure I won’t need to bring much but my hat and some bits."

Pinkie smiled sliding out of the chair "Okie dokie! I need to pack my party supplies just in case of an emergency party!" said Pinkie Pie, trotting over to the door and waving to the three of them at the table letting herself out.

Applejack giggled some finishing the rest of her breakfast "It sure is going to be an interesting trip with Pinkie." said Applejack looking at Granny Smith and Big Mac who had finished eating and were putting the plates and glasses in the sink to be washed

"Well don't you worry Applejack, I’m sure Pinkie will make sure you have a hootin' good time at Manehattan," said Granny Smith.

Applejack smiled and nodded before replying "I’m sure she will Granny Smith, I best make sure Apple Bloom and her friends know what they are doing so they don't make the farm a big mess while I’m away," trotting to the door and heading outside, making her way across the farm and the apple orchard towards the tree house Apple Bloom and her friends always used as their crusader club.

Applejack made her way up the steps and knocked on the door with her hoof "Apple Bloom I need to have a word with you about being responsible on the farm." said Applejack, hearing some conversation going on inside the clubhouse.

Apple Bloom shouted in response "Come on in AJ!" Applejack opened up the door to the clubhouse seeing Apple Bloom, Sweetie Bell and Scootaloo in their crusader uniforms.

"Well since the three of you fillies are all here together I figure I can teach the lot of you about responsibility." said

Applejack looking at the three of them, all three of them smiling and running over to Applejack to sit down simultaneously saying "Teach us, teach us!"

Applejack smiled at their anxiousness and said "Calm down there you three, having responsibility isn’t all fun and games. It's a lot hard work and making sure it all gets done so that the farm has apples to sell."

Scootaloo looked unsure at Apple Bloom and Sweetie Bell and replied "I don't think I like responsibility."

Sweetie Bell shook her head and responded "Me either!"

Before Apple Bloom spoke up looking at her friends "Hey now y’all haven't we done plenty of hard work just trying to earn our cutie marks? Besides AJ is leaving for a few days and we need to help Big Mac around the farm, with all of that hard work we could get our cutie marks in no time!" Applejack nodded in agreement smiling at Apple Bloom.

Sweetie Bell and Scootaloo speaking up after Apple Bloom "Alright!" said Sweetie Bell

"Let’s do it!" said Scootaloo.

Applejack turned to leave the club house before saying, "Now you three listen to Big Mac and Granny Smith; they'll tell you what needs to be done."

Apple Bloom smiles at Applejack "Don't you worry AJ, the cutie mark crusaders are on the job!" said Apple Bloom.

Applejack smiled back at her little sister before heading out of the club house making her way back to the farm. A few hours seemed to pass by quickly, Applejack seeing it was time to leave for the train station grabbed her saddle bag with her things packed and ready for the trip, making her way downstairs and waving a hoof to Granny Smith and Big Mac as she made her way out the door "Well y’all I’m going to Manehattan, don't get in too much trouble now you hear!" she giggled and smiled,

Granny Smith and Big Mac each waving goodbye to Applejack "You have a good time Applejack." said Granny Smith

"Eeyup." replied Big Mac.

Applejack left the house with her things and trotted down the road, making her way to the train station. When she made her way there she spotted Pinkie Pie with her saddle bag and the tickets waiting for Applejack who smiled and rushed over to her handing Applejack a ticket

"Hey AJ the train is ready to leave so let’s go!" said Pinkie Pie turning to trot towards the train.

Applejack nodded and followed after Pinkie Pie each making their way onto the train set to head to Manehattan, Applejack and Pinkie Pie entered the train car and found themselves an empty seat to sit in putting their tickets on the table between their seats to be taken by the conductor. The train began to leave the station, starting on its way to Manehattan.