• Published 2nd Nov 2013
  • 651 Views, 2 Comments

Forest of Lost Foals - Dusk-Spark



Pipsqueak, Scootaloo and a new classmate named Saphira join the other foals on a test of courage into the Everfree Forest. But will any of them make it out alive?

  • ...
2
 2
 651

Prologue

What were they even doing out here? Why were they so stupid? Why didn’t they listen to the grownups?
Their hooves couldn’t stop shaking, every sound in the forest made them jump. They knew it was still out there, they just knew it. Waiting. Watching. It was enjoying this little game of cat and mouse they'd been playing for...Celestia, how long has it been? How long could they stay in this hollowed out tree before it finds them again? When the sun rises, they'll make a break for it. Monsters hate the daylight, that's what they'd been told all their life. It wouldn't follow them in the daylight…right?
Snap
What was that? They backed deeper into the tree.

“Hello? Anypony, guys?” A scared voice called out from nearby, they sounded hurt and just as terrified as the young foal. “Guys come on! Help me! It's coming, please!”

‘Shut up. Shut up. Shut up!’ They pushed their ears against their head, shutting out the desperate cries for help, ‘I’m not gonna die. I’m not gonna die.’
Suddenly there was an ear-piecing scream. ‘Don’t move.’
They heard the muffled sounds of a pony crying and begging for their life, they heard hoofsteps leading away and then--

CRACK!

A sickening crunch. ‘Don’t move.’ The sound of a body being dragged away and a steady rumbling noise. ‘Don’t move. Just stay quiet. The morning will come, it will come soon.’ The screech. Even with their ears shut, nothing could ever block out that screech. Their whole body shuddered as the sound echoed deep into the forest.
....
Suddenly, there was dead silence. The squawking birds had gone away, the wind had stopped, the timber wolves had stopped howling, the trees had stopped rustling and they could no longer hear that thing. It was the silence that scared the red eyed pony the most. Their curiosity wanted to go out, see what was going on. However, they knew the moment they stepped outside of this hollow tree; they were not coming back…

THUD

They brought their light towards the hollow tree's entrance.

Those dead, hollow eyes, as black as the night stared back at the pony. That toothy grin mouthed the words:

"I see you."