• Published 31st Oct 2013
  • 808 Views, 20 Comments

Anguish - Late_To_The_Party



Applejack looks back over her life, filled with regret for not seeing what was right in front of her the whole time.

  • ...
0
 20
 808

Chapter 4

Somehow, like it always does, life went back to normal. Even Pinkie Pie and Scootaloo went back to smilin’ an’ laughin’ an’ playin’, after a while. Big Mac an’ Cheerilee spent more an’ more time together, eventually gettin’ married an’ movin’ to Canterlot—Cheerilee got a good job teaching at a fancy school there. I’m not sure how she managed to teach an’ have twins, but she did.

Big Mac wasn’t the only one to find somepony. I did too, jus’ took me a mite longer. I guess A.B. an’ her friends weren’t as interested in findin’ me a special somepony as they were in findin’ somepony for their teacher. I met Swift Kicker at the Equestria Games where he was showin’ off his leg strength. We hit it off pretty—heh—swiftly, and it wasn’t long a’fore we got hitched. Gettin’ married wasn’t the only thing we did quickly, though, an’ Granny was beside herself with joy when she found out I was expectin’ a littl’un of my own.

Two of the three of us found somepony, and that just left...


Applejack watched her sister through slightly narrowed eyes. Apple Bloom swallowed and shifted her weight, looking at everything in the kitchen except for her sister or grandmother.

“What’s his name?” Granny asked sharply.

Apple Bloom didn’t answer. A single bead of sweat ran down the side of her face. Her eyes flicked to the door leading outside. Applejack took a step sideways to block both her view and her escape route. She’d managed to catch her little sister trying to sneak off once that day; she wasn’t about to let it happen again.

Granny softened her voice. “Now, child, you’re not in any trouble. We just want to meet the boy.”

Apple Bloom grimaced and looked away from them again. Applejack’s eyes widened and she gasped softly. “Wait—is it a girl?”

Apple Bloom whipped her head back to look at Applejack. Granny tensed. Apple Bloom glared.

Applejack defused the situation as quickly as she could. “That’s fine! Boy or girl, it doesn’t matter! No reason why it should. We just wanna know who it is; you can spend time with whoever makes you happy.” She forced out an awkward laugh. “Just, y’know, not today. ‘Cause Mac’s comin’ for a visit.”

Someone knocked loudly at the front door and Apple Bloom’s expression brightened. “That’s probably them now! I’ll just—” She stretched one leg out, ready to turn. “—go get the door.” She darted out of the room.

“Mac’ll get her to talk,” Applejack whispered to Granny. Granny huffed in reply. The front door opened and quiet voices could be heard, almost clearly enough to make out the words.

Apple Bloom called out from the next room. “Applejack? Can you come here for a minute?”

Applejack followed her little sister’s voice. “What’s the matter, sis? Is—” The two ponies at the door were not who she was expecting. Instead of Big Mac and Cheerilee, she found waiting a pair of royal guards. “Is there somethin’ I can do for y’all?” she asked, joining Apple Bloom at the doorway.

One of the guards cleared his throat authoritatively. “You are Applejack?” Applejack nodded, and he continued. “A teacher from Canterlot has gone missing, along with her husband. When was the last time you heard from your brother or his wife?”

Almost unconsciously, Applejack shifted position to stand between Apple Bloom and the guards. “Well, uh, they’re supposed to be here today. Got a letter a few days back sayin’ they’d be here today for a visit. We thought it was them at the door.”

Granny entered the room. “Who is it, Applejack?” She stopped and blinked at the guards, taking a step backwards. “What are you doin’ here? What’s goin’ on?”

One of the guards nodded respectfully to Granny Smith. “Ma’am. We’re attempting to ascertain the whereabouts of a Canterlot teacher named Cheerilee and her husband… Big McIntosh.”

Applejack nudged Apple Bloom. “Run an’ get the letter, would ya?” she whispered. Apple Bloom nodded and ran upstairs while Granny walked up to join Applejack.

“Missin’?” Granny asked incredulously. “My grandson’s missin’? Well, he ain’t here! Why ain’t ya out lookin’ for him?”

“We’re following all avenues of investigation, ma’am. We have to check all known associated residences and notify family of the search in progress.” The guard broke formality for just a second by leaning forward slightly. “Don’t you want us to do everything we can to find him?”

Granny stomped one hoof. “Of course I do! But—” Her eyes widened. “What about his children? Where are my great-grandbabies?!”

Returning to his professional stance, the guard replied, “It is my understanding that they are with Cheerilee's relatives in Canterlot. They’re being well cared for.”

“We’ll just see about that,” Granny said in a voice almost angry, and stamped outside past the guards, muttering about apples belonging with apples.

The guards watched her go with practiced calm before turning back to Applejack, just as Apple Bloom came back down with the letter. She gave it to Applejack and asked, “Where’s Granny?”

Applejack passed the letter on to the nearest guard, who began reading it. “I, uh… I guess she’s goin’ to Canterlot to check on your niece an’ nephew.”

“Oh.”

The guard finished reading the letter and gave it to his partner. “May we keep this? It may be useful.”

“Of course!” Applejack answered. “If it’ll help, you take whatever ya need to find my brother.”

“Thank you for your assistance. Send word to us if you hear from them, or if you discover anything—anything at all—that may help us find them.”

“We will.”

The guards nodded in farewell and turned to leave.


Even right then when the guards were walkin’ away, I knew I’d never see Mac or Cheerilee again.

Now I know why.