• Published 31st Oct 2013
  • 286 Views, 1 Comments

Equestrian Bacchanalia - lenaia



Dionysus comes when called.

  • ...
 1
 286

Chapter 2: Wine Stains

"I'm fairly certain its not blood," said Twilight Sparkle, "it doesn't respond to any of the life-healing magic I know of, and it certainly doesn't smell like blood. Also, it probably would have clotted by now... unless there was some kind of anti-coagulant... oh... what reference book do I have on anti-coagulants?"

At the Library-tree that was Twilight's home, Fluttershy stood next to a half-sleeping Spike. His chin rested on the table in front of them, while his drowsy eyes drifted closed at the incessant background noise of Twilight's monologue. Fluttershy for her part was not only awake, but very relieved to hear that it wasn't blood---since she had had to carry the glass all the way here in her mouth. While trying not to spill it or drink it, she had to walk very slowly and deliberately, and the too-pleasant fumes had made her want to sneeze.

"However, I can't seem to tell if its magic or not. The first two detection spells say no, but the third and eight ones said yes... Maybe it's 2/8ths magic? No, that's a stupid ratio, it would have to be 1/4 magic. Is that even a thing? Spike!"

The drowsing dragon awoke with a start, saying "I was just looking at it, I swear I didn't touch it!" After noticing the confused look that everypony was giving him, he responded, "I mean, yes Twilight?"

"Ruperts Guide to Potions needs to go back on the shelf, but I don't know what book I need. Maybe, Corcodilian Conocotions or Grandma Goose's Gilded Grimoire?" With that the little dragon sped off to the shelves. "So, what did you say the creature from your dream looked like? Was it taller than a minotaur? Did it breath clouds of corrosive gas? Were its wings covered with ice?"

"Um... no. No, it didn't have those things. It was only a little taller than I am, and it didn't have fur on its upper body, just little patches of black curly hair on its chest and front legs. It looked like a normal pony from the waist down, but the upper body was different. Kind of like Spike but without the scales, and a very pale cream color on its skin. Its face was round, with big cheeks, and it had a bigger beard than a billy goat. It played a pair of flutes at once, and danced."

"Is that everything you remember?"

"Also it's name was Silenus."

"It talked?"

"Oh yes! It told me its name, like it thought that I should know who it was. I don't though... I wonder if maybe I should... but I don't remember meeting him before."

"How did you know it was a male, if you've never seen one before?"

"Oh..." Fluttershy blushed, "um... well it is a normal pony from the waist down. Since it was standing up, it was kind of pointing right at my head."

Twilight momentarily dropped her writing quill, and her cheeks shone red through her purple coat.

"I almost forgot, it said something besides its name, it said: 'Come find me. It is time to enjoy tragedy once again.' I don't know what that means either..."

Twilight pursed her lips in concentration. What is the name of Starswirl did that mean? Her friend expected her to know... but really, how do you enjoy tragedy?

At that point, Spike came walking back, with a thick book under each arm, before setting them on the table. Both the ponies seemed preoccupied, so he instead of interrupting them, he took a moment to admire the pretty red liquid in the glass. It shone in the sun like the rubies that he enjoyed so much. He took a sniff of it, and sneezed vigorously. Flames shot out of his mouth and nose, and suddenly the glass was gone---consumed glass and all in the fire.

Twilight and Fluttershy stopped talking to stare at him. Twilight's mouth hung open wide enough that Spike could see the little hangy-thing at the back of her throat. He focused on that little hangy-thing, because so long as he focused on that, he would surely avoid the reprisal that awaited him.

"Spike! What did you do!?" Twilight shouted.

"I... ah..."

"Spike!" she said, making a face worse than she normally does when he eats her favorite snacks. "What. Did. You. Do?"

"I sneezed! I'm sorry!"

"Well, where is the glass?"

"I don't know, I just sort of smelled it, and it tickled my nose just so I..." he didn't get the chance to finish his defense. It was interrupted with a tremendous belch of green flames, from which a small scroll emerged. Before it could hit the floor, Twilight's magic snatched it up.

It was written in hasty handwriting, and seemed to be damp despite the dragon fire. 'My Dearest Student' it began. 'Did you happen to have sent me a glass a moment ago?' Just below Celestia's signature, the bottom of the paper dripped a red liquid.

"Oh horsefeathers! You just threw a glass of mystery liquid at the Princess!" she yelled at Spike.

He looked at the liquid dripping off the scroll and deflated a bit. Knowing how white the princess's coat was, that red liquid would probably stain.