• Published 26th Oct 2013
  • 4,372 Views, 148 Comments

Blanked - Salnalus



Apple Bloom is doomed to become one of the zombies. Twilight doesn't save her in time. Now Apple Bloom is forced to live a new life as one of the Blanks.

  • ...
8
 148
 4,372

Relics of the Past

The door to Mitta’s house creaked open, and she closed the door behind her as she went inside. The night before was a day she wanted to forget; as for today, she didn’t want to bother with socializing. Not that she wanted to socialize with any of the other ponies any other day, except with Three Leaf on occasion, but she had been reminded of terrible memories recently, and she wanted them out of her mind for the time being.

She walked through the empty hallways, the dark atmosphere not bothering her a bit. They weren’t as dark as her demeanor, which the others didn’t try to concern themselves with. As though it didn’t ruin the “sunny” image that the town and its inhabitants, sans Mitta, presented.

But now that she was reminded once more of her precious filly, she had something to do, if only just to get the feelings off her chest.

She traveled her way up to her bedroom and quickly bent her body down toward the floor, crawling under her bed. Being the oldest pony in Sunny Town didn’t bother her much, but she wasn’t as physically fit as the others were, thus she had a bit of trouble reaching down. Her back ached doing so, but the physical pain didn’t compare to the emotional pain she felt within.

At last, she found what she was looking for, and crawled out from under her bed. In between her teeth was what appeared to be a red scrapbook, lined with a great deal of dust. The underside of her bed was not a particularly good place to breath in, being so dirty, as Mitta sneezed before dropping the book onto the bed.

She paused after sneezing so hard, then she blew away most of the dust off the cover. She wiped off any excess with her hoof before glancing down toward the image. It was a red book with a large picture of Mitta and Ruby, sitting together in front of Mitta’s house. She smiled warmly as she flipped the book open to the first page.

The first thing she saw was a photograph from the time Ruby was but a foal. She was being fed milk from a bottle by Mitta, who smiled down at her little baby filly. Mitta remembered most of Ruby’s baby days, and she sometimes wished she could relive those moments.

The next photo below the first was also from the days when Ruby was a foal, but this one showed her hugging her first plush toy, a small pony with a cute pink dress. Mitta could remember the day she gave Ruby that plushie. It was one of the happiest she’d seen her little filly. Even when Ruby wasn’t around her mother or the other Sunny Towners, she wouldn’t be so lonely, as long as she had her plushie.

Mitta lifted her head from the page, looking across the room at the other bed. That same plushie was sitting atop the covers, its blank stare facing nothing in particular. It was just about one of the only relics Ruby owned that Mitta still had. In the pictures, it looked worn, but still as cute as ever. Now, it looked somewhat tattered, with a rip on one of the ears, and a bit of the stitching was messed up. It looked like it had gone through a lot.

Mitta sighed and turned the page. The next few photographs were a bit different, as each had a picture of Ruby with the other ponies. The first showed Ruby sitting on a swing, with Grey Hoof pushing her from behind. The swing used to be between Mitta and Three Leaf’s houses, but it was no longer around. The next picture showed a picture of Ruby playing Tag with Roneo and Starlet. They really seemed to enjoy themselves.

The third picture showed Gladstone reading Ruby’s favorite children’s book to her. The book was titled “The Little Pony That Could”, which was about a hardworking filly that found their special talent through helping others. Mitta liked that book as well. She still had it, propped up on Ruby’s bed about a foot away from her plush toy.

The next one showed Ruby reaching up to hug Three Leaf, with Mitta standing off to the side smiling at the sight. This was one of the few times where Mitta was able to actually see herself smile back when she was happy. Back then, Three Leaf was her best friend. The green mare always thought fondly of Mitta and her daughter. But those were only memories now.

The other pictures showed other related photos of the same kind. Each picture was sentimental and were the only ever relics of the past that held the good side of Sunny Town. For the first time since the incident with Apple Bloom, she felt at peace relishing in the memories of its past.

Just then, she heard the creaking of a door coming from the entrance to her house. Just as she was feeling at peace, somepony had to ruin it. She closed the scrapbook and set it aside, standing up from the bed. Whoever it was, she really didn’t want to see them, even if she was in a slightly better mood than before.

“Mitta?” a small voice spoke. “Are ya in here?”

Mitta’s expression softened as she heard the voice, recognizing it as Apple Bloom’s voice. “In here,” she responded, to guide the filly toward her location. She wondered just what Apple Bloom wanted. She really didn’t want to be bothered by anypony, but Apple Bloom wasn’t one of the ponies she resented, and really didn’t mind much as a result.

A few seconds later, and she was standing at the door with a small plate of cake in her left hoof. “I’m sorry if I interrupted somethin’. Just thought ya might want somethin’ to eat from the party since you weren’t there.”

Mitta sighed as she heard her. “I’m not really hungry, nor do I approve of Grey Hoof’s party either,” she responded while looking down at the floor.

“Hey, Ah don’t like bein’ here either,” Apple Bloom responded while walking closer. “Ah’m not even supposed to be here in Sunny Town. But Ah’m stuck here because of some stupid curse you told me about. Ah’m also against his reason for that party. But if Ah’m going to be stuck here for the rest of my life, Ah’d rather not mope around all the time, despite what happened. Ah’m a big filly, and Ah’m goin’ to act like one.”

“That’s pretty noble of you, given the circumstances,” Mitta replied as she turned her head. “So you know he threw that party just in honor of your being here. You’re still comfortable with that?”

“Well…” Apple Bloom contemplated her answer for that. The answer was pretty obvious. “No, not really. But other than that, I don’t really see anythin’ wrong with the party.”

Mitta looked back down at her scrapbook, closing her eyes afterward. “They really aren’t bad ponies. Their intentions for their actions in the past are, however, as well as their conversions of everypony that stumbles into Sunny Town. I only hold a hatred for them because of what they did to Ruby. But your history with them only dates back to yesterday. I’ve known them for a long time.”

Apple Bloom walked forward more and stood by Mitta, before the mare laid back down in her bed with the scrapbook in front of her. Being the curious filly she was, she looked up on Mitta’s bed to see the side of the scrapbook.

“Hey, what’s that thing?” she asked, as she tried to get a good look at it. “Some sort of book?”

“Memories of Sunny Town during its good days,” Mitta answered. “It mostly has pictures of me and my darling little Ruby. The others are there too, back when I actually liked them, and they were all my friends. I hate them all now. Three Leaf a little less so, but she still gets the same resentment.”

“Why Three Leaf?” Apple Bloom asked. In response, Mitta opened up a page that showed nothing but pictures of Three Leaf. Most of them were solo pictures, but some of them also had Mitta in them.

“Three Leaf used to be my best friend. We used to do everything together. She even got along with my Ruby as well. We basically spent a lot of time together. While we did enjoy doing things with the others, Three Leaf and I were inseparable. The rest of Sunny Town were always remarking how close we were. Grey Hoof even joked sometimes that we were probably lesbians.”

She chuckled as she looked at a picture of both her and Three Leaf hugging each other. Apple Bloom didn’t know what a lesbian was, so she had a very confused look on her face. “Umm, what’s a lesbian?” she asked, being so naive.

“Basically, a girl pony that is into other girl ponies. Most ponies see it as a girl pony should only be into boy ponies, but that is not always the case. Girls can like girls, same as how a boy can like a boy. But, it was just a joke. Three Leaf and I were never like that. We were only close as best friends.”

Apple Bloom didn’t know what to make with that information. She knew about romance, but didn’t know how far the subject could go. She wasn’t about to question it anyway.

“But that was in the past. While I don’t hold as much hatred for her as I do for the others, she still lost my respect for her. Even now, she still acts as if we’re still best friends. I can’t really bring myself to forgive even her.”

Apple Bloom’s ears folded back. She was back in the same depressing atmosphere when she entered the house earlier in the day. She figured Mitta was off even worse, judging from her demeanor and her being alone in the house all the time.

“...Actually,” Mitta muttered, which made Apple Bloom’s head turn toward her. “I wouldn’t mind some of that cake. Haven’t really eaten anything.”

The filly was a bit surprised to hear that, seeing as Mitta rejected the offer earlier when she came in. Seeing that she warmed up to the idea, Apple Bloom slid the plate with the slice of cake toward Mitta. She picked it up with one of her hooves and took a nibble of the sweet treat. After enjoying the bite, she sighed openly.

“Yeah, definitely one of Three Leaf’s cakes,” she said, much to Apple Bloom’s confusion. “Nopony else here makes cakes as good as this. They’re all decent at best, but Three Leaf was always the best at preparing food.”

Yet another thing that compares her to Pinkie Pie… Apple Bloom thought, realizing just how much they both had in common in both their personalities and their hobbies.

“Hey, uh…” Apple Bloom, wondered by staring at the scrapbook, “do you have good memories about anypony else?”

“Of course I did,” Mitta answered, “but I tend to try and forget everything to do with them. Unfortunately, it doesn’t work.”

She took another bite of the delicious slice of cake before saying more. “Though, besides Three Leaf, the only other one I knew the most was Grey Hoof. While he’s not exactly our leader, everypony else does look up to him like one. He’s actually the second-oldest of us here, as I’m the oldest.”

“What was he like before?” Apple Bloom asked with curiosity. Mitta responded by turning the page to one that showed some pictures of Grey Hoof.

“He was just like he is now, unless you meant how I saw him. Well, it wasn’t just the others that looked up to him. Ruby and I also did. We liked him very much. Besides Three Leaf, he was just about the cheeriest pony you could ever know. He would always make sure everypony in Sunny Town was happy. It’s like he was trying to match the image of Sunny Town with its name. And for a while, he was doing a good job with it.”

She looked down at the pictures, as did Apple Bloom. One showed Grey Hoof standing behind Mitta and Ruby as he was pushing them on swings, their expressions filled with joy.

“Even now, it seems like he’s tryin’ to keep that very image you’re talkin’ about,” Apple Bloom said, much to Mitta’s disdain. “But it’s just a mask that hides the real, scary part.”

“Exactly,” Mitta agreed. “At least, it does now.” She finished off the rest of the cake quietly. Then she looked down at Apple Bloom, with the filly staring back up at her blankly.

“Apple Bloom, while I wasn’t exactly in a good mood, it was nice to actually have company from somepony unlike those out there. And I will admit, it felt nice to share these memories.”

“Umm, you’re welcome?” Apple Bloom answered, though she wasn’t sure if the welcome was supposed to be genuine or not. She figured it was, since Mitta was actually speaking in a calmer tone than she was before.

“You can go back to the party. I’m sure I’ll be fine now,” she said, as she closed the scrapbook. Apple Bloom looked down at it in thought. She really was a curious sort, and unlike the others, she found a pony in Sunny Town she actually felt comfortable around.

“Actually… could you tell me more about what happened?”

Mitta stared down at Apple Bloom for a brief moment, their eyes locking with the other intently, almost as if they were having some sort of staring contest. Just then, Mitta smiled and reopened the scrapbook, adjusting its position so that Apple Bloom could see it more easily.

“Of course.”

Author's Note:

Just in case, for those of you that didn't play Story of the Blanks (then again, I wouldn't expect anybody who reads this story besides my editor to NOT play the game), the title of this chapter Relics of the Past does not only refer to the relics being Mitta's memories, and some of her keepsakes from her past with Ruby, but it is actually a reference to the ending message of Story of the Blanks.

"Throughout Equestria, relics of the past
Lay forgotten and alone
Never truly resting.

Awaiting recognition"