• Published 12th Oct 2013
  • 510 Views, 3 Comments

Moonlight & Lullabies - SoarinDash



Luna has been enclosed in her own darkness.. How will Princess Celestia survive without her little sister beside her?

  • ...
1
 3
 510

[Chapter 1] Goodbye

Lullay moon princess, goodnight sister mine
Rest now in moonlight's embrace

Princess Celestia lay weeping sorrowfully within her burnt up castle. Chard pieces of glass and stone crumbled upon the floors, and black skids made from magic smeared like paint across the broken walls. Ashes and raindrops floating down from the heavens, and laying upon the young princess's coat, as she beckoned for her younger sister. Magical glowing elements lay around her, softly shimmering in the moonlight, as their power drains out into the atmosphere in the shape of steam. This destroyed palace was the home of Celestia's most dangerous of mistakes, where she had torn her sister's life apart because of her own foolishness. Her arrogance had blinded her from truly seeing how her sister felt.

Her eyes slowly wandered upwards towards the cracked open ceiling, staring up into the face of the moon, where an outline of her sister's face now laid. Tears spilled from her bloodshot and sleepless eyes, for she could not contain herself. Young and innocent Princess Luna would be trapped up there, inside of the monster that she had turned herself into, for a thousand miserable years.

Nightmare Moon had taken her reign in Equestria, formed out of a jealous young Luna, and complete hatred towards her selfish older sister. She wanted nothing more than to make their subjects love her, and admire her as much as they did her older sister. It was Celestia's fault that this had happened, but for some reason, Luna was the one being punished for it.. Celestia knew she should have seen this coming, but she didn't.. And now her sister was paying for it.

Celestia was angry.. Not at Luna, but at herself.

"I'm sorry." Celestia whispered, wishing that Luna could hear her despite their distance from each other. Her words choked up, as she tried to continue. "It-its all m-my fault." She buried her face in her hooves, and sobbed heavily. She wanted nothing more than for her sister to heal from the nightmare she had made her into.. To hold her, and to tell her that she loved her. She never even had the chance to say goodbye.

Bear up my lullaby, winds of the earth
Through cloud, and through sky, and through space

Nightmare Moon's body shook recklessly, as she laid weakly on the cold surface of the moon. Her eyes squeezed shut, and tears running down her cheeks, her two souls were clashing at each other like swords. With one side trying to overcome the other, she was wrapped in a blanket of complete insanity and fear. Her breath was heavy, and her heart was pounding like gun fire inside of her chest. She had been entirely consumed in darkness.

"TIA!" A scream of bloody murder rattled her body, as she suddenly burst upright onto her stomach. Her helmet flew back off her head, releasing her shiny blue mane into a gust. Her dark turquoise snake eyes were filled to the brim in tears, as she spun her head around quickly to take in her environment. Where was she? What had happened to her? Where was Celestia?

Her mind still fighting with itself, she felt frantic and helpless. Her body was weak, shredded and crisp. Memories were suddenly flooding back to her. Celestia raising her sword, and the bloody horror that was their battle. Like the final battle in a book, or in a fairytale, the villain always lost.. But Luna never saw herself as the villain, until now..

If only she could have acknowledged the damage she had done to her subjects, and to her older sister.. If only she could have searched for help from Celestia, rather than bottling up her jealousy until it broke her soul.. She had made herself into a monster, and now that she had been banished, there was nothing she could ever do to change it.

As all these thoughts raced through Luna's mind, she could only think of four words.. "What have I done?"