• Published 26th Mar 2012
  • 119,931 Views, 5,947 Comments

Vinyl and Octavia: University Days - DawnFade



Vinyl Scratch and Octavia go to university.

  • ...
128
 5,947
 119,931

Epilogue

Epilogue

-----

Six months later…

The West Manehattan University grounds were joyous, to say the least. Now that the snow had melted, there were a lot more students out enjoying the scenery. The final exams for the previous semester had finally finished, and many were out celebrating their freedom. From the first-years to the post-grads, all were grateful for the temporary ceasefire in their academic lives.

It was the beginning of a new year, and all the second-years were confidently striding about, chuckling at maps, occasionally deigning to help out some first-years with directions. All the second-years, that is, except for two.

The first was a grey mare with a dark, bedraggled mane. She had bags under her eyes, but her smile made it clear she was anything but harrowed. Around her neck was a pink bowtie, and around her hoof was a VIP band with bright blue and white stripes. To any casual observers, she would appear to be your average post-concert student, albeit one with more elegance in each step than most have in their entire bodies.

That’s not to say she was stuck-up; on the contrary, she was warm and friendly to those who casually greeted her. She joked with a few of the students and even bumped her hoof against any who wore the same concert band. A year ago, most would be too scared to even approach her.

Her name was Octavia, and she was a cellist studying Advanced Musical Theory (Classical), Business Management, and, strangely enough, Extended Psychology.

The second was a white unicorn with a flat, carefully brushed neon-blue mane. On her head sat a pair of dark purple shades, leaving her striking scarlet eyes completely visible. She fidgeted as she walked, and every few seconds her hoof shot up to ruffle her hair, but was restrained by self-control. Despite this, she still managed to give an air of renown around her. Some students whispered to each other when they saw her, while others straight-up started cheering.

That’s not to say she was undeserving; on the contrary, she was responsible for the majority of post-exam parties and had won the hearts of the students through hard work and experimental music. She was happy to give high-ones to any who came to thank her for distracting them from the horrors of university. Even the teachers liked her for helping their students relieve stress before coming to class in the last few months. A year ago, most considered her presence at university a fluke.

Her name was Vinyl Scratch, and she was a DJ studying Secondary Advanced Musical Theory (Modern), Advanced Visual Arts, and, strangely enough, Extended Psychology.

The two embraced each other on the grassy court in the centre of the university. When they parted, Octavia couldn’t help but laugh at her lover’s mane. Vinyl flushed. “I thought you’d like it! I mean, this is your triumphant return after all. It’s a big moment!”

“Oh, Vinyl. You should know by now, I rather like the madness that is your hair,” Octavia chided gently, bopping Vinyl on the nose.

“Now you tell me,” she grumbled, taking a moment to violently mess it up until it returned to its natural style. “So did you like the party last night?”

“It was amazing, I feel like I just left.”

Eyeing Octavia’s less-than-pristine mane, Vinyl smirked. “You look like it too.”

“Oh, shush. I only slept a few hours and I was too excited to sit still and brush it like usual. By the way,” Octavia raised an eyebrow deviously, “did you work another of my compositions into that final song?”

Vinyl whistled innocently.

“I knew it! How do you keep doing that? The crowd loved it!” Octavia danced on the tips of her hooves for a moment, caught up in her own excitement.

“I think it’s because I’m working with something you’ve created. Like, I’m not just listening to a song, I’m listening to you and everything you’re trying to say through the song, and I can translate it in my own way.” Vinyl reddened considerably as she continued. “You’ve gotta stop me before I try talking romantically. I sound like a total dweeb.”

Octavia kissed her quickly. “A very sweet dweeb.”

They walked together across the soft grass. “It’s been a crazy year, huh?” said Vinyl.

“Indeed. I can’t believe how different things are now.” Octavia shook her head, smiling at the memories. The last few months had seen her and her friends grow closer than ever, and she felt more loved now than at any time in the past nineteen years.

“They’re gonna be even more different soon. We’re gonna be living together again, I’m getting some insane gig requests — yes, requests! They actually request me, how cool is that?! — and Lyra and Bon Bon are talking about setting up other stores in other cities.”

“Oh, I know. Imagine, stores in Canterlot, Trottingham, or Ponyville! I don’t think I’ll be short of work anytime soon.”

“Yeah…” Vinyl said slowly.

Octavia stopped walking and frowned at her. “What’s wrong?”

“Nothing, not yet. I just… I think working with Bon and Lyra is great while we study, and I love them, don’t get me wrong, but one day… I was kinda hoping we could do our own thing. Y’know, begin our ‘euphonious revolution’ we used to talk about.”

“We will,” Octavia said, touching Vinyl’s cheek. “But let’s just focus on surviving university first, okay?”

“Deal.” After a moment, Vinyl lowered her voice. “Anything new from you-know-who?”

“Just a text from this morning. Here,” Octavia slipped her phone out of her mane and handed it to Vinyl.

{[MOTHER]}
>I hear you have re-enrolled. Should you reconsider your decisions in life, you have my number.

“Well that’s gotta mean she feels something for you, right?” Vinyl said, but Octavia didn’t look hopeful.

“She probably just sees me as an asset that has been misplaced.”

“Or maybe she’s just too proud to admit she misses you.”

Octavia gave a thankful smile. “It’s okay, Vinyl. I’m not sad about it. She did give me every opportunity I could have hoped for. Even though it wasn’t her intention, she is the reason we met. But that doesn’t change how I feel about her. Maybe… maybe in a few years, if she manages to finally move on from her past, we might be able to start again. Until then, however...”

“Alright, alright. It just bothers me that you’re not that close with your parents, whereas mine were pretty cool up until they kicked me out.”

“Yes, about your parents…” Octavia’s eyes twinkled.

“What?” Vinyl replied warily.

“I think it’s time I met them, don’t you?”

THE END

Author's Note:

This story was begun on the 27th of February 2012, and was completed on the 9th of January 2014. It’s the biggest story I’ve ever written, and the most popular. I want to thank every single reader for coming along with me, especially after my long absence.

The fanart for this story has been insane. Every chapter there was more and more songs and pictures. I can’t quite express how grateful I am that those talented people saw fit to add colour to the story.

As for a sequel: EDIT: I've had a lot of time to think, and I've decided there will not be a sequel to Uni Days. It took two years to finish this story, and it was getting very difficult to find time to write by the end of it.

As for Lyra and Bonbon: University Days: No. I tried writing it, but I just don’t love the characters as much as I love our main pair. It would be a hell of a commitment too, considering their hidden story runs parallel to this one. Maybe one day I’ll write out all the details, but for now, I’m afraid not.

I want to thank these people. Each of them has done or still does proofreading for me, to keep me in line. They are the reason this story has done so well.

Ariamaki, Steel Resolve, Lysis, Venatus, Statoose, Starfall, and probably someone I’ve forgotten.

Thank you for reading!

Love, Dawn

Comments ( 654 )

The end, my friend, the beautiful end.
Glad to have been a part of making this happen! :scootangel:

If you do end up writing a squeal that was a hell of a set up for it and I'd LOVE to read it. As for this story as a whole I'm not good at pointing out parts but I can say that this was extremely well written and I loved every bit of it. :heart:

... Well. This was not what I expected.

Certainly isn't an ordinary day.

Never thought this story would've worked out this away...

*raises hoof*

Um, if there's an epilogue posted, why is it still marked incomplete?

The end. By the way, what did you mean that you write stories for us? Do you take ideas or do you dedicate your work to us.

congrats on finishing this, it was an awesome read

A great story, and an amazing end. I may not have been here since the beginning, but this story has undoubtedly changed my life (and you know how). I've made so many connections because of this story I'm not sure I've read anything that felt this real to me, this immersive, fanfic or otherwise. I can't wait for anything else you write and I would like to thank you from the bottom of my heart for writing this story, it's been such an amazing ride.

Eternal Fan,

Techno Shock

This is possibly the best fic on fimfiction. While it's not my fave, I can recognize an amazing story when I read one. This is a work of art, no questions asked.

I'm so happy that this exists

Wow, I remember reading this story in 2012 when I started being a Brony. And wow, two years? Where did the time go? Well congrats on finishing a great story. Hope to see that sequel when you decide to write one. Keep up the great work.:twilightsmile:

It was a wonderful story, and I can't say I regret it ended. After all, that one less story I need to read. I loved it, and though it's been a while, if I were to give the story an official opinion, You completed the story with stunning plot, and impressive characters. Out of ten, you get 8.5 moustaches.:moustache::moustache::moustache::moustache::moustache::moustache::moustache::rainbowkiss::rainbowkiss:(because that's my equivalent of half a moustache.

Well man it's been a sweet ride. Glad to see it come to a happy ending

Thank you for this great story.

Should you reconsider your decisions in life, you have my number.

Time to change your number.

Great story. I'm sad to see it go.

Wow. Thank you for making this a part of my fandom experience over the past 2 years. Your writing style is amazing, and I wish you all the best in your future writing endeavors.

3771694
I don't know where they'll be in twenty years,
But those were their University Days.

Ahhhhah, what a wonderful ending! :rainbowkiss: Thank you for the amazing story, I concur that its one of the best written stories I've ever read.

3771789 Heeeyyy from the song nice :rainbowlaugh:

"On Top Of The World"

If you love somebody
Better tell them while they’re here ’cause
They just may run away from you

You’ll never know quite when, well
Then again it just depends on
How long of time is left for you

I’ve had the highest mountains
I’ve had the deepest rivers
You can have it all but life keeps moving

I take it in but don’t look down

‘Cause I’m on top of the world, ‘ay
I’m on top of the world, ‘ay
Waiting on this for a while now
Paying my dues to the dirt
I’ve been waiting to smile, ‘ay
Been holding it in for a while, ‘ay
Take you with me if I can
Been dreaming of this since a child
I’m on top of the world.

I’ve tried to cut these corners
Try to take the easy way out
I kept on falling short of something

I coulda gave up then but
Then again I couldn’t have ’cause
I’ve traveled all this way for something

I take it in but don’t look down

‘Cause I’m on top of the world, ‘ay
I’m on top of the world, ‘ay
Waiting on this for a while now
Paying my dues to the dirt
I’ve been waiting to smile, ‘ay
Been holding it in for a while, ‘ay
Take you with me if I can
Been dreaming of this since a child
I’m on top of the world.

Oooooooo... OoooAhhhhhOoooAhhhhh[2x]

‘Cause I’m on top of the world, ‘ay
I’m on top of the world, ‘ay
Waiting on this for a while now
Paying my dues to the dirt
I’ve been waiting to smile, ‘ay
Been holding it in for a while, ‘ay
Take you with me if I can
Been dreaming of this since a child

And I know it’s hard when you’re falling down
And it’s a long way up when you hit the ground
Get up now, get up, get up now.

And I know it’s hard when you’re falling down
And it’s a long way up when you hit the ground
Get up now, get up, get up now.

‘Cause I’m on top of the world, ‘ay
I’m on top of the world, ‘ay
Waiting on this for a while now
Paying my dues to the dirt
I’ve been waiting to smile, ‘ay
Been holding it in for a while, ‘ay
Take you with me if I can
Been dreaming of this since a child
I’m on top of the world.

I started reading this story about a year ago, it's about my best choice in life so far. I love you Dawn.
Also Dawn is the Equine God of Writing Fanfiction

Absolutely wonderful from start to finish, good sir. Can't wait to see where your writing takes you from here, but you can count on me to be there cheering! :pinkiehappy::twilightsmile:

Daww... aww... I'm gonna miss this story :raritycry:

Thank you for all of your work and your amazing story.

And here we are. After all this time it came to an end. I loved every single word of this and I will reread it time and time again.
This is a masterpiece. Thank you so much for creating the story for us. We all love you for this :heart:

This was one if the first fics that I read when I first started getting into fics about the middle if last year. It's still one of the best fics I've ever read. I thank you for writing this fic. And I could wait a few years for a sequel, that is if you want to write a sequel.

This has been one of my favourite stories for a while now, so I'm both happy and sad to see it concluded.

Well done and congratulations to you DawnFade, and of course thank you :pinkiesmile:

I look forward to seeing what you create in the future...

I shall reread this sometime soon. But I have been enjoying it for the past two years. Indeed, very much so. And I can only applaud you for finishing it, so many decent stories don't get that far.

Thank you for writing.

As for a sequel: answer hazy, try again

*shakes magic 8 ball again*

:pinkiecrazy: its the end...a happy end...

Having only joined in the summer and since then spending most of my time around the Pony Warfare group, I only discovered this fic recently. I love all of it, from the characterisation to the setting, and of course, the resolution. Thank you. :heart:

Also, MOAR! :flutterrage: :rainbowlaugh:

One of the best shipfics I've ever read, if not the best. And I'm usually not that big a fan of shipfics.

Awesome story! It really pulled me in, and with all the content it had...I just loved it more :pinkiehappy:
Sad to see it end though, but happy you finally finished a work of art dude:twilightsmile:

Omg amazing Story
I cant begin to tell you how Great it was. Who cares if theres no sequel or Lyra and Whats her face story. This right here. This was Absolutely Breathtaking. And for that I have to Thank You. Thank You for committing TWO WHOLE YEARS. For US. The people who kept saying you were dead. But seriously I do honestly Thank You. I cant get that across more. Anyway I cant wait for your other stories if you can find the time to make them (Honestly I Don't Care) because you have a whole list of stories to read that will satisfy us. With that Thank You for the Amazing story and have a Fantastic Day

Tev

This was beautiful in every way. All I can say is...

Bravo

There's not much I could say that hasn't already been said and said better but bravo anyway! A sequel would be great but don't stress yourself out over it! Take a breather and enjoy your life! Thank you for this wonderful journey.

There is no standing ovation button... WHY IS THERE NO STANDING OVATION BUTTON??? This clearly deserves one!

excellent, can't wait for more Vinyl and Octavia stories

Heh, I started this series in my junior year in high school, and now I'm gonna end it in my second semester of college. I started this series single, and now I am gonna end it with my first ever girlfriend. Thank You for not abandoning it, I really enjoyed what I have read so far, and I know that I will enjoy the rest!

Well this has been a long journey for you. Congratulations is all I can say.

Well this has been a long journey for you. Congratulations is all I can say.

Would you be willing at some point, to post a consolidated list of links to the fan art and music? That would be awesome and a worthy addition to the final Author's Note... :pinkiehappy:

3771984
There's something like that in the story description, I think it might be missing some things but I can't be bothered updating it at the moment.

3771978
The sequel thing: I don't think I'll write a sequel, but if I do, it'll be some time from now. This has been fun, but exhausting.

THE....END?:pinkiesad2:

Hurray for Epilogues! Needless to say, this was a fantastic story!

Fantastico! or something like that...

A great story with a great end. Not much else I can say but I think this explains how I feel about this fic.
Take it away boys.

Wow, what a wonderful ride this has been. I can't thank you enough for writing this story.

Surprisingly enough, this was the first fanfiction I'd ever read. Before all the hype I'd heard about University Days convinced me to try one out, I was one of those guys who felt fanfiction was all self-inserts and clopping. I hated the notion of it, but something in your writing style made me stick with it. I'm so glad I did (Insert Aladdin's "A Whole New World" here).

I can't wait to see what you do next. Even if it's nothing, you have earned my respect. Best of luck in whatever you do!

There are very few people who can write a story capable of creating a world. You've created a world that doesn't end, and that is something to be proud of. Thank you for two years of this amazing story. :twilightsmile:

3772124
Something glitched with you picture on my end so, when I clicked a second time for it to hid the picture, it just made another. I didn't notice and clicked again, and again, and again... and again (repeat this process about 20 more times) and then I scrolled down to see a ton of DaringDash hugging!

~SolidFire

3772219 Oh the horror!
EDIT: I get the same glitch! :twilightblush:
25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lz02js8gcF1r3k1m8o8_250.png

What's with the signature..? You're name Is right there... *Points to name above comment* ... I have no authority, but signatures are banned site-wide. The problem is too vast though... I'm just going to STFU. :facehoof:

Thank you for reading, and all that jazz...

Login or register to comment