• Published 23rd Sep 2013
  • 942 Views, 5 Comments

A Survivor Is Born - Delta 727



My name is Golden Compass. And I am a Tomb Raider.

  • ...
0
 5
 942

Chapter 3: Welcome To The Jungle

Welcome To The Jungle

What I did was completely stupid.

Being the adventurer that I am, I couldn't just lay there knowing that there was something in that jungle that I wanted. I didn't care about the danger, the bandits, or that I would be going alone since my friends would be staying behind. Usually, we'd find where the artifact would be, and set up a small command center just outside or nearby. That wouldn't happen this time.

This time, I would be going in alone, with all of them a few miles from where I was going. None of them took that very well. Especially Aura. She had a chance to talk to me while I was packing up.

"I don't wanna let you go it alone, Goldy," she said as I was packing my bag with medical supplies. "It's too dangerous. What do I do if you don't come back?"

"Oh, don't think like that," I told her as I packed my binoculars. "Of course I'm coming back. I've survived much worse than bandits before.You're not gonna have to leave the island without me."

"I know..." She looked down, then back to me, her eyes filled with tears. "Just... Promise me you won't get hurt, okay? R-remember last time?"

"Yeah, I do." I put a hoof on her shoulder. "That won't happen again."

What happened last time was that we were on an endeavor into an old tomb, and they had to stay behind while I climbed up into a cavern three stories off the ground. While I was climbing, my hoof slipped, and I fell all three stories to the ground. I broke my back right leg, and had a concussion. When I finally woke up, I tried to tell her I was okay, but she stayed beside me every second until I could walk again, and she couldn't stop crying. She blamed herself, saying she could have caught me with her magic. So, while I had a broken leg and a headache, I also had to comfort her while she cried. I didn't mind it, actually. In fact, she was the one pony I was glad was by my side the whole time. If she wasn't, I'd be worried about her a lot more than she was worried about me. After that, she found me some climbing axes, so I could use those and not worry about my hooves slipping again. I haven't fallen since.

I took the time to hook them onto my pack, just so she'd know that wouldn't be a problem.

"See?" I said. "I have my axes right here. I'm not gonna fall."

"B-but what if you get shot?" Her eyes dilated, and she started speaking a mile a minute. "Or burned, or... Or cut? Or sprain your ankle, or-"

I put a hoof on her mouth to quiet her. She stopped immediately, but her scared eyes didn't change. I felt so bad for her, but I smiled. "What kind of mare do you think I am, Aura?" She didn't respond, she just whimpered a bit. I took my hoof off of her mouth, which had shrunk to a small, quivering shape. "I'm a Tomb Raider, Aura." I picked up my oak bow, strung it, and strapped it to me with the string across my chest. "I'm too agile to get hurt like that. And don't worry, if I twist my ankle, I'll let you cradle it until it's all better, okay?"

She whimpered again, and whispered, "Okay..."

I smiled again. "There's the big strong mare I remember. Now-"

I was cut off as she jumped forward, and hugged me. I didn't know what else to say, so I just hugged back. She quietly sobbed, shaking as we held each other. She was a strong mare, but if there was anything that could get to her, it was the idea that I wouldn't come back.

If there was any reason why I'd fight through fire and fury to make it back, it was for her.

---

Since Aura and I weren't ready to part ways just yet, I decided to wait until the next morning to leave. She stayed beside me the entire night. Craw had to wake me up the next morning. He didn't have to wake Aura, since she was awake the whole night. And then, she told me she'd made a decision.

"Golden, I'm coming with you."

I stopped dead when I heard that. I wasn't sure how to respond. I knew she was terrified of just me going, but I never thought she'd volunteer to go with me on such a dangerous endeavor. I couldn't let her.

"Aura, you know I can't let you do that."

"I'm not letting you get hurt," Aura said, sheer determination in her eyes. "I'm gonna be there for you this time."

"That's not what I'm worried about, Aura," I said. "I'm worried that I can't be there for you. I can't guarantee you'll be safe."

"I can take care of myself." She wouldn't budge.

"Aura, leaving you hurts me just as much as it hurts you," I replied. "But the idea of you getting hurt or worse just isn't worth it."

Aura just sat there for a moment, thinking. Then, she started to tear up again. "Goldy... I'm sorry..."

"Don't be, Aura," I took her hoof in mine. "It wasn't your fault. It was mine for taking an extreme risk. I'm better now. I won't let that happen again."

"Can you at least promise me something?" Of course, I couldn't say no.

"It depends. What is it?"

Aura sniffled. "If you even so much as scrape your knee, I want you to come right back here, okay?"

I giggled. As much as I hate to say it, Aura's adorable when she's scared. "Well, I can't promise that, but if there's anything that there's a chance I can't keep going alone, I'll come right back. No big risks for me. I promise."

She seemed to lighten up a little at that, but the tears never left her eyes. She hugged me one more time, but she stopped sobbing.

Finally, after I had packed all of my things, all four of my friends followed me to the edge of the forest to see me off. Aura still looked worried, but the others looked determined.

Coral stepped up to me with a small holster belt holding two pistols. "May I?" I nodded. He wrapped the belt around the waist of my faded brown shorts. "Even though I'm the one giving you these, I just want you to know, I really hope you don't need them." He tightened the belt, and stepped back, placing a hoof on my neck. "Be safe, okay?" I nodded once. He nodded back, stepping back with the others.

Wire stepped up to me next. "Here." He held out a small leg brace with a screen implanted in it. "It's got a GPS and virtual map. Our camp is marked with a blue dot, along with the distance from us, and a blue line representing the easiest path back. Just didn't want you to get lost." He strapped it around my front left leg, and powered it up. A green picture of our current location came up, and a blue dot appeared with a number that said it was about 30 yards away from me.

"Thanks, Wire," I replied. "I'll need this." Wire nodded and stepped back.

Craw stepped up next, He held out a small silver box lighter with a compass engraved in the side. "This's my lucky lighter. Saved my flank more than a few times in the past. Hope it'll work for you too. Keep it close." He chuckled. "And for Celestia's sake, don't lose it."

I smiled back. "I won't. I promise." I slid it into the pocket of my shorts, patting it with a hoof. "See? Safe and sound."

Craw chuckled, and held out one leg. "C'mere, you." I jumped into him, hugging his neck, and he wrapped a leg around my back. "It ain't just Aura that's scared of losing you. I'm not ready for you to check out yet, either."

"No pressure huh?" We both laughed quietly. "Don't worry, I'm not ready either. And I can be very stubborn."

"Yeah," Craw agreed. "You got that right." He let go, and stepped back.

Aura stepped up last. She held up a rugged, leather-cover notebook. "Can't forget this," she said. "I wanna know everything that happens when you get back."

"Thanks, Aura," I took the notebook from her, placing it in my pack. "I'll make sure I don't miss a beat." I held out my leg, and we hugged one more time. Soon, Craw, Wire, and Coral joined, and we were all linked together. And in that moment, I made myself a mental note.

I'm not done with these ponies yet. If I'm gonna die, then it won't be today.

---

Now, you're probably asking yourself, why was this stupid?

It was stupid because reality decided to slap me right in the face.

In reality, it doesn't matter what promises you make, how much you care about somepony, or how strong your will is, you can still die. And that didn't hit me until I was already long gone.

I had gone a short ways into the jungle, taking shelter under a large tree. It was getting dark, and I decided to rest. And then, when I took a moment to really sit down and think, it hit me.

I might not come back out from this one.

I was terrified of the promises I made. To Coral, to Craw, to Wire.

To Aura.

What would they do if I didn't come back?

No, I couldn't think like that. I couldn't let myself think I was gonna die.

I am a Tomb Raider. I didn't come here to die.

And then, reality hit me like a hoof to the face.

I slumped down under the tree, and sighed. I'd made it this far without dying, but it didn't help my outlook.

Don't look at this the wrong way, I go into every endeavor worrying about dying. But this one was the one that willpower just barely outdid. Barely. I wanted to turn back, but I wanted to keep pushing even more. Keep pushing until I found what I was looking for.

Looking for some kind of comfort, I turned on Wire's map. The map was a dark blue, with lighter blue lines outlining the landscape. A light blue line lead to my right, going off screen to a dot that said, "0.8 mi". I wasn't even a mile from camp, and I already wanted to turn back. And, somehow, that gave me hope.

Knowing that my friends were still back there made me want to push on even more. I couldn't just come this far and turn back around now. They were worried about me, but they were counting on me even more. More than they ever have been. Even Aura.

Finally, I made up my mind.

"I'm going to keep pushing," I said aloud.

I took shelter under the roots of the tree, pulling a small blanket out of my pack, and curled up for the night. Tomorrow was another day, and I wasn't gonna face it tired.

---

Day Three

I've taken my first steps toward my goal. I haven't been shot at yet, so I count that as a plus. The bandits have moved on, and I haven't heard any gunfire for some time. I'm safe, for now. And if I'm alive in the morning, then that'll be just another step. My endeavor's only just started, so I can't breathe easy yet. Now, I'm not just exploring anymore, I'm surviving. I hope you're reading this, Aura. I'm not dead yet.

~ Golden Compass