• Published 29th Feb 2012
  • 637 Views, 8 Comments

Hanging by a Thread - DarkLightning'sSting



What would you do if everything you know was hanging by a thread?

  • ...
3
 8
 637

MLP: Hanging by a Thread Chapter 3

Rainbow Dash yawned as the sun shone through the tent flap into her eyes. She squinted against the sun and looked around the tent. She was in it with her five other friends.

She glanced over and noticed that Pinkie and Fluttershy were cuddled up close to each other.

A rustle by the opening in the tent caused her to look back. A white pony was standing there, a small white hat on her head. "Miss Rainbow Dash?"

Dash nodded her head. "Yes?"

The pony smiled. "That young pony your friend brought in. Red Lightning? Anyways, she's conscious now, and is asking for you specifically."

Rainbow nodded and stood up. She carefully stepped over Applejack and out of the tent.

She followed the pony as she led her to a half dozen white tents. The nurse opened one of the tent flaps with her hoof and motioned for Dash to go in. Dash walked into the room and the nurse closed the flap behind her. The tent was sparse. The only thing inside it was a bed. She walked up to the bed slowly. Lightning was lying on it, covered mostly by a blanket. Lightning was angled towards Dash, so she could see her damaged face. Her ear had been partially fixed, now there was just a jagged piece of it missing.

Dash gently nudged against her. "Lightning?"

Lightning shifted and opened her eyes, looking directly at Dash. "Hey.." she said weakly.

Dash smiled. "Good to see your OK Lightning." Lightning chuckled. "I'd be better if I knew I hadn't failed." Dash frowned. "You didn't fail! Ponyville no longer stands, true, but look at everyone we managed to get out! Six injuries from a full scale dragon attack! And two of them were you and Dark."

Lightning stopped and looked at Dash sharply. "Ponyville no longer stands?"

"No."

Lightning started laughing in her bed. Dash looked at her in concern. "What's so funny?" she stopped laughing and looked at her. "I'll explain later. Go find Celestial would you? Tell her we are going back to Ponyville today."

"What!?"

Lightning smiled at her gently. "Trust me Dashie, we need to go back, you'll understand when we get there." She closed her eyes and her head fell back against the pillow. Dash sighed.

"She's been saying some odd things ever since she woke up."

Dash turned at the voice and saw Dark Star standing there, her wing bandaged up. Dash smiled. "Has she now?"

Dark looked at her in annoyance. "You don't have to pretend you still like me. I know Luna told you guys the truth. About me and Nightmare Moon."

Dash smiled. "I honestly couldn't care too much. You have no traces of her left, from what anyone can tell. Besides, you should be worried if Twilight still accepts you."

Dark sighed. "Twilight is still young. Her infatuation is just a phase. It will pass, like all phases of life do. Besides, No one even knows what will happen when all of the
Elements are together; we may become some irrational war mongering creation."

Dash frowned. "Wait, you've never actually met Honor's Sting?" Dark shook her head. "I only met Lightning a couple years ago, after my soul had been freed from Nightmare Moon." Dash nodded. "That may be true, but those times are over Dark. You're no longer controlled by her, and there are people down here that love and care about you. Remember that."

Dark clenched her teeth. "Nightmare Moon is still there. She's just waiting for a chance to strike." She turned on her heel and left the tent.

Dash sighed as she watched her go and looked back at Lightning. "If you say we should go, then we go." She said, mostly to herself, and partially to Lightning. She left the tent and went looking for Princess Celestia.

She didn't find her, but she found Luna, sitting calmly in her tent. Rainbow Dash smiled and bowed to her before walking up. "Princess, I have an urgent matter to ask you about." Luna looked at her regally. "How can we help you today?" Luna smiled to herself and shook her head. "Sorry, how can I help you today?"

Rainbow chuckled a bit before looking serious again. "Red Lightning, the unicorn I brought in, she says we need to return to Ponyville immediately." Luna considered this a second. "What makes her think it is safe?"

Dash smiled. "She is the Element of Defense, so I guess that if she says it's safe, it must be." Luna nodded at the logic. "Well then, so shall it be said, so shall it be--" she sighed again. "I mean, let's go right after Celestia returns."

Dash smiled. "I'll get the others."