• Published 25th Oct 2013
  • 445 Views, 7 Comments

One Shot per Page - Apocalyptic Fries



A Friendship Is Magic fic about nothing

  • ...
 7
 445

Don't read this, or YOU WILL LOSE IT!!!!

It was no secret to anyone who knew her that Rainbow Dash had a mean prankster streak a mile wide. A little-known fact was that she had been born with only one color in her mane and tail, then as her propensity for pranks grew, more streaks of color were added. So to say she had a mean prankster streak was something of an understatement.

Today, she had something especially cruel and unusual planned for Pinkie Pie. She was going to show Pinkie the greatest mind game ever created and—

“HEY RAINBOW DASH!!!!”

Rainbow’s mark interrupted her train of thought as she often did, by dropping out of the clear blue sky with no possible way of having been up there to start with.

“Heh, hey, Pinks.” Rainbow Dash rolled over to get Pinkie Pie off her back and set her plan in motion. As the two stood up, Pinkie’s mouth started up again.

“So, whatcha wanna do today, huh? We could go swimming, and OH even have a party to celebrate going swimming! Or, we could do nothing, and OH we could celebrate that too! Or—“

“PINKIE PIE!”

Desperately trying to collect her scattered brain before the wind picked it up first, Dash began executing her plan. “Wanna play a game?”

“Oh I LOVE games! This one time I—“

“This game is not like any game you’ve ever played,” Dashie impatiently cut her off. “The rules are simple. You cannot think of the game, and if you do, you lose and you have to announce it to everyone.”

“Soooo…” Pinkie Pie allowed it to swirl in her sugar-coated cranial neurons before responding, “The game is about not thinking about the game, so if you think about the game, you lose, and if you lose, you have to announce it, which makes everypony else lose too?”

“Yeah-huh,” Dash tried to repress a snicker.

“COOL! Oh, I just lost the game! Oh, I lost it again! Oh, I lost it again! Oh—“

“Pinkie,” it crossed Dashie’s mind that cutting Pinkie off had become something of a habit – no, more like a daily routine bordering on habitual for her – as she continued, “there is a half-hour grace period. You have 30 minutes to forget about it. If you still remember it, you’ve lost it again, and gotta say it.”

Pinkie fell silent for a moment, a rare phenomenon for the sugar-crazed pony. She pulled a stopwatch out of nowhere and set it, “…starting now!”

The two walked together in silence back to Sugarcube Corner, unable to think of a better place to go while this mulled inside Pinkie’s extraordinary mind. Dash, on the other hoof, smiled devilishly to herself, hoping she would drive Pinkie Pie up the wall and begging for mercy for the LAST time she—

“I LOST THE GAME!” Pinkie loudly and proudly announced to Sugarcube Corner. Had it really been a half-hour already?

And then, because Pinkie didn’t sound upset at all at having lost, it dawned on Rainbow Dash that her prank had backfired. Pinkie would never stop because she would never forget the Game; Rainbow forgot that she didn’t play to win anything, she just played to play and took losing very well. She could only bury her face in her hooves as she wondered inwardly, What have I done?