• Published 14th Sep 2013
  • 609 Views, 9 Comments

Lulaloser - MaskedWriter



After being run out of another town for the last time, Trixie goes to a bar to try and unwind. Little did she realize the one bar trip would change her life from magic to music.

  • ...
1
 9
 609

Chapter One

Trixie quickly trots into the Manehatten bar, silently taking one of the few open stools avaliable. The barkeep gives her an odd look, simply stating, "Back again so soon, Ms. Lulamoon?"

Trixie looks up and stares at the stallion, a gruff yet friendly looking pony with a dark brown mane and a lighter brown coat. "Yes, The Great and-...I-I mean...Just give me the usual, please. Thank you, Malt Scotch." She retorts, a defeated tone in her voice. Malt simply nods and hands her a large glass, filled with a fizzy amber beverage. She makes it levitate, enveloping the glass in a light blue hue before quickly chugging down the entire glass. The unicorn next to her snorts, an impressed yet worried look on his face.

"One of those days, eh?" He says with a warm smile. Trixie turns and stares at him, a look of anger painted over her face. It quickly washes over with the same look of defeat she had before.

"You don't know the half of it. The Great-...I mean...I...I think that my cutie mark might be wrong... Im not good at magic, and I only get run out of town every time I try to do a show!" She nearly shouts the last sentence before blushing and lowering her voce. The bar was loud enough that no one paid much mind to her outburst. The stallion looked at her with a confused look on her face.

"You don't need to do what your cutie mark tells you to." He states, almost as a matter of factly. Trixie returns the puzzled look the stallion gave her, retorting "Excuse me?"

"The name is Looker Socials, my father was a police officer and my mother is..." He trailed off, a small smile on his face. "Well, everyone thought i was going to be a police officer much like my father." Looker points at his cutie mark, a large magnifying glass with a black x across it. "I had other things in mind, even if the Alicorn sisters thought otherwise. I'm an artist, a songwriter." Trixie simply stares, a look of curiosity in her eyes. “Now if you’ll excuse me, Miss…” He gives her another warm smile.

“You may call me Trixie…” a quiet voice replies.

“Trixie, it’s been quite a pleasure. Now if you’ll excuse me..” Looker hops off the stool, trotting over to the stage at the end of the bar. He thinks to himself what song he’s going to play tonight. After only a moment’s thought, Looker takes a seat on the chair in front of the microphone, levitating the guitar onto his lap. He picks it up, plucking at each string with care. He didn’t need his strings out of tune, not at all. Looker takes in a deep breath and begins to sing and play the guitar, the quiet song about taking his marefriend to an aquarium. The song is sung with a smile and happy tone, the lyrics talking about how he’d do anything as long as she didn’t get upset. The song ended with his marefriend screaming at him, and it ended rather abrubtly. The bar keeps up it’s idle chatter, and silent sign of approval.

“Thanks, everypony. Might be back for another song after the next few acts.” Looker says, quickly trotting off the stage. He goes up to Trixie, tilting his head to the side. “So then, Miss Trixie. How was I?” He says, a hint of worry in his voice.

Trixie simply stares at the colt, her lips curling to a small smile. She quickly turns her head to Malt, “2…no, make that 3 of the usual please. Looker, you do drink beer yes?” She looks at him expectantly, the smile slowly growing.

Looker nods, “I’ve never been one to turn down a drink, especially from a friend.”

“F-Friend…?” Trixie asks, taken aback by Looker’s comment. He sits down next to her and nods, “Just wondering why you got 3 and not 2…” Trixie laughs a bit and gives him an honest answer, “I’d be lying if I said that 2 of weren’t for me.” She quickly takes a nervous sip and lets out a quiet sigh, "How do you even write such...personal things?" she asks.

Looker rubs the back of his head, fixing up his mane a little bit, "It's not too hard. On the contrary, it's actually a great way to get it out of my system. Ever done anything artistic?"

She scrunches her nose up, trying to think of the last time she ever sang. "When I was a young filly, my mother and I would always sing together. I-I mean before she passed away. I devoted myself to magic after that. I wanted to impress any young pony who was feeling sad. Well, at first..." Trixie looks away.

"I got drunk off the idea of glory and fame, to be the best unicorn magician was the only thing I've wanted in recent years. Of course, my attitude was...Let's just say it wasn't paying. I've had to do horrible things, just to make a living. Things that no little pony should ever have to do, things that make you crave alcohol just for a moment of rele-"

Looker quickly cuts her off, the same concerned look on his face that he had before. "Trixie...I don't really know what to say to that..." He comments, taking a long sip of his drink, "But what I can say is that no pony with your taste deserves that sort of ridicule. I just think you're a bit misguided, is all. I think that you haven't ever had any sort of outlet that you can fall back to and rely on like other ponies do." He reaches into his saddlebag and takes out a piece of paper, along with a feathered quill. "Now, Trixie, let's write a song and let it all out."