• Published 8th Sep 2013
  • 652 Views, 12 Comments

Breaking the Barrier - The Deathsinger



Rainbow Dash, tortured by a recurring dream, makes a decision that may very well be the catalyst that will change pony kind forever.

  • ...
1
 12
 652

Further experimentation

“No, absolutely not. That’s a terrible idea and you know it!” Twilight shouts her disagreement at me.

“Come on Twilight, This could be exactly what I need!” I plead.

“I said no!” She shoos me from the library in an instant.

I sigh and turn to walk away. Looks like I’m going to have to find some other way of getting those chemicals. So far I’ve been using black powder as the means to power the rocket. But, an article that I read today mentioned using a different technique. There, they used a solid mix of two undisclosed chemicals to make the reaction. I asked Twilight if she had any idea how I would replicate such a mixture. Obviously, she didn’t take it well.

It could take me years of experimenting randomly on my own to get similar results, so that’s out of the question. Not to mention, all those chemicals cost money. And while I get paid well for my weather job, I’m not made of bits. There has to be some way of figuring out how he did it.

I guess the simplest way, would just be to ask. But, the stallion the article focused on is a student of the Canterlot University of Science and Experimentation, so they don’t just hand out ways to contact their students. Although, I think that he may have left an address to send dragon mail to; but I’ll have to check the article.

I go back to my house and search for a quill, paper, and that article. Finding them, I pen a letter to the pegasus the article focused on. Since, his name isn’t mentioned, I’ll have to start the letter some other way.

Hey,
So, I was reading the paper and saw the article that you were in. I gotta say, that was a pretty cool experiment you had there with solid fuel. I think I already know the answer, but I’d love to know how you did it.
Like I said, I got a couple of theories, which I’ve scribbled across the back of this letter, but I really love to get it straight from the source.

-Rainbow Dash, best flyer in Equestria.

I couldn’t help but sign it that way. I’m sure he’s heard of me, but it couldn’t hurt to get my name out there a bit more.
I seal up the letter in an envelope and make my way to the post office, where I find Derpy working to sort a stack of mail.

“Hey Derpy, got a letter to send out.”

“Sure thing!” The mare takes the letter from my hoof and puts it on the top of the pile.

“So, any idea when it will arrive?” I ask. I’ve never been one to like to wait.

“Well, this stack should be leaving today, so tomorrow at the latest.” Derpy states.

I thank her and leave. Knowing Derpy the way I do, it’ll either arrive exactly like she says it will, or it will be weeks before I hear anything. Oh well, nothing to do in the meantime but wait.

* * * *

Dear Rainbow Dash,
I’ll cut to the chase; how the buck did you guess how I did it? You got it spot on. I’d really like the chance to talk with you face to face. I know this is asking a bit much, but I can’t pass up this chance to talk to somepony who seems to know what they’re talking about, as well as seeming to have such a passion for this.
If need be, I can chip in for the bits to help pay for a hotel room.

Eagerly waiting your reply,
-Dusk Inferno, decidedly average chemist, mathematician, and inventor

I read the letter several times before it really sinks in. A student of the most prestigious school in all of Equestria wants to talk with me! I hastily write a reply. Sure it’s going to cost quite a few bits, and sure he may be just a student. But this could be an amazing chance for me to talk to somepony who really knows what they’re doing. And while he would probably only be able to teach me chemistry, that will no doubt prove useful.

Once I get the letter sent off, I decide to take care of my weather duties for today. It’s clear skies again, so it only takes a few minutes to whisk away the clouds.

With nothing else to do, I might as well start packing for the trip to Canterlot. Since it takes so long to get there, the whole trip will probably last at least three days. A day to get there, a day back, and whatever time in the middle to stay in Canterlot.

I really don't have much to pack, just a few toiletries and a book for the trip. I fit all the items into my saddlebags and set the bags near the door. I don’t know how long it will take to get a reply, but if it's anything like the last letter, it should only be a day or two. I just want to make sure I’m ready to go as soon as possible.

I lie down on my couch and sigh. I’m bored out of my mind and there really isn’t anything to do. I’d work more on my rockets, but I think that I should take a break from them.

The incident where the last rocket exploded still leaves me shaken, so a little time away from the whole thing should clear my head and leave me feeling better about the whole thing.

But for now, that leaves me with absolutely nothing to do. I don’t even feel like napping! This is a first in a very long time.

I probably shouldn’t work directly on the rockets, but I could still do some research. With nothing else to do, I decide that being a little uncomfortable is far better than sitting in silence and waiting.

* * * *

The wind whipping through my mane fills me with a primordial sense of glee, but the lack of the burning sensation in my wings stubbornly reminds me of the fact that I’m not actually flying. I draw my head back inside the train’s cabin and go back to re-reading the first of the Daring Do series. I’ve read it at least three times, but it’s just as good every time.

I’ve been traveling for a good five hours, so I should be arriving at Canterlot Station in just over three more; far too long for my tastes. Of course my other option was to take the trip under my own power, and that would have taken up the entire day. So while this may be the fastest of the two, I still don’t have to like it.

After the excruciating wait, I arrive at the station. Being one of the first ponies off the train, I have unobstructed access to the exits. Unlike normal, when one could get stuck in the clog of bodies for a half hour or more.

I examine the map near the main exit for directions to the hotel. The winding streets confuse me, but I do get my bearings after some time of staring at the map.

Checking the large clock tower, I see that it’s just before four. Meaning I have about two hours before I am supposed to meet with Dusk. Should be plenty of time to check into the hotel and get set up there.

I arrive at the hotel after a few more minutes of walking. I get my room key from the receptionist and make my way up to my room. It's a small hotel, not too fancy either, but that’s just fine. I’ll only be here for a day or two, so I don’t need it to be amazing or anything. I also had to find one that was cheap, so that helped me to decide on this hotel too.

I slip the key into the lock and twist. Hearing the tumblers fall into place I nose open the door and set my bags down. I lean back into the surprisingly plush mattress after lying down upon it. This whole trip, hay, the last few months have felt one enormous blur. The only defining moments are launches and the occasional breakthrough or discovery. But those happen few and far between.

I decide that a short nap is definitely in order. Curling up, I pull the sheets up and over me, settling into the soft warmth they provide. I set the enchanted clock on the side table to wake me in forty five minutes time, very soon falling into sleep as my exhaustion catches up with me.

* * * *

The sound of the clock alarm brings me to wakefulness. I slap the object into submission, groaning at the interruption to my blissful state. The nap has done me good, but I do so hate waking up.

The arranged meeting place is a little coffee shop in the back corner of the market district. I’ve never been to most of the districts here, in fact of made it a point of not doing so. For the most part, the inhabitants of this city seem far too uptight and snooty. Rarity may enjoy consorting with this these kinds of ponies, but not me.

My train of thoughts keeps me occupied as I take the walk at a leisurely pace. My leg is, for the most part, healed now; so I want to test it out a little while I have a good chance to do so.

“A little early, don’t you think?” A voice calls out to me.

I spin to find the source. The stallion is prominently black, the only deviation are his eyes, tail, and slicked back mane; both of which are a dark burgundy. A pair of black wings blends in well along his frame.

“I assume you’re Dusk Inferno?” I extend a hoof in greeting

“Yep, that’s me Miss Dash. Thanks so much for meeting me, I know it must have be an inconvenience to travel so far.” Dusk extends his hoof as well, giving a friendly bump as he directs me to the table he was sitting at.

“It’s just Dash, or Rainbow; anything but ‘miss’. And nah, it’s not that big a deal. I have to make trips to Canterlot every once in awhile, so I’m used to it.” I notice that the stallion doesn’t have the typical Canterlot accent. Instead, he lacks any type of accent. He does seem a bit, off though, almost nervous in a way.

“So, I have to ask, how the buck did you figure out how I made solid rockets so quickly after I did? Most ponies were too shocked that I had come up with something like this.” His words are strong, but his tone doesn’t back them up. Again, they take on a nervous quality.

“It wasn’t all that hard.” I boast. “I had toyed with the idea of using a different fuel and oxidizer before, but never did anything with it yet. And besides, I already assumed that black powder couldn’t be the only way to go. I just didn’t think of Zinc-sulfur mix before.”

“Heh, let me tell you, there were a ton of times where I thought that I was going on a wild goose chase. That black powder really was the only way. But, when I stumbled across that mixture, I nearly died of relief.” Dusk looks to be loosening up, but he still nervously fidgets with the silverware, or taps his hooves on the table.

“You ok, Dusk? You've been fidgeting this whole time.” The stallion glances around quickly at my words, seeming to look everywhere except at me.

“I, uh… I never mentioned it in the letters, but-”

Before Dusk can finish, the waiter comes by to take our order. I’ve never been big on coffee, so I just take water. After the server leaves, I stare at Dusk, waiting for an answer.

“Look, this is hard alright!” He says. I cock an eyebrow at his response. “I don’t want to talk about it here, but suffice it to say that I may have a big problem on my hooves. And you may have been dragged into it.”

What!?”

“Keep your voice down.” He quiets. “I don’t know if I’m being followed.”

“By Celestia, you better have a bucking good explanation.” I growl out.

“Alright fine, I’ll explain. Just meet me here in thirty minutes. Don’t be late, make sure your not followed, and don’t leave with me.” With that, Dusk stand from his chair and leaves the building. He dropped a few bits to cover his part of the tab before he left, though.

I put down my part of the bill and look at the note he left as well. Hastily scrawled across the center is the longest address I’ve seen.

502 Mane Avenue, Royal Experimental Design Facility, room 1771-561, floor -G 12. Meet me by the back alley on the far side.