• Published 4th Sep 2013
  • 1,541 Views, 60 Comments

Fate is a Funny Old Thing - Steventheman



Three humans end up in Ponyville after a cross-dimensional boundary failure, and must adjust to life in Equestria.

  • ...
7
 60
 1,541

236 In Progress

"Captain, how are negotiations going?"

"Not terribly well. The biped inside doesn't seem to know what a hostage even is." the captain responded, rubbing his forehead with his hoof.

"Can you recommend a raid?"

"Not at this time. We don't know what this biped is capable of. She could be equally or more powerful as the one the Army faced two days ago. I'm not sending my officers in there."


Marisa and Flandre flagged down a passing pony. She had a mane and tail which were rainbow colored, and she was a light shade of blue.

"Hey, real sorry to bother ya, but do you know where a Fluttershy lives?" Marisa asked the pegasus.

"Fluttershy?" she responded. "Yeah, sure. Why?"

"Because our friend Rarity went there and she hasn't returned," Marisa answered.

"I was actually headin' for Rarity's place," the pony said. "Name's Rainbow Dash."

"Marisa Kirisame," Marisa introduced herself. Flandre remained silent.

Dash hopped into the air, before noticing Marisa sitting on her broom and Flandre flapping her wings.

"Well, if you can fly, this makes this about four hundred percent easier," Dash said. She began flying at a fairly quick pace to the East. It was when Marisa was following her that she had finally noticed the giant building on the mountain.

"Hey, weren't you the biped who said you were somepony else on live radio?" Dash asked, smiling.

"I'd prefer not to talk about that. Almost lost my friend over it," Marisa growled.

"Jeez, that sucks," Dash commiserated.

"What's that building over there?" Marisa questioned, pointing at the Northern mountain side.

"That's Canterlot," Dash answered. "Capital city of Equestria. That particular part is actually the South Castle."

"South Castle?" Flandre piped up.

"Yeah. It's where the Princesses live. I'm surprised they haven't actually taken an interest in you biped guys yet,"

"It is strange how we can move about without anyone botherin' us," Marisa agreed. "Well, works for us."

"So where do you guys come from?" Dash asked, descending to avoid a cloud.

"Gensokyo. We arrived her after a big incident back home."

"What happened?"

"You see this adorable pile of vampire?" Marisa said, pointing at Flandre.

"What!?"

"Relax. We tamed her," Marisa assured, giving a small harmless head rub to the vampire. "Anyway, someone from back home got really high, and they started to rip apart reality like an angry child with a napkin."

"Really," Dash sneered. "That's real likely."

"No, it's true. And while she did that, this little tyke here blew things up. Caused a lot of confusion and some people fell into the gaps. Luckily, my friend Reimu and I ended up together," Marisa explained, sighting red and blue lights in the distance. "You know that air battle two days ago?"

"Operation Firefly?" Dash replied.

"Yeah. That was just to take Flandre here down."

"I thought the Rapier Squadron killed her?" Dash questioned. "I mean, I know some members of Rapier Squadron, and Radar Lock said he killed her personally."

"We convinced them to say that, only because we needed to look after her."

Dash noticed the police lights at Fluttershy's cottage. "Something's wrong. Follow me!"

The pegasus, witch and vampire followed each other in formation as they descended towards the cottage.


Sakuya opened the large double doors, panting as she bowed before Remilia. "Mistress...we've searched Gensokyo twice over. Flandre was nowhere to be seen..."

"Then it is as I feared most..." Remilia answered calmly. "Flandre has exited Gensokyo somehow. It must have been that Incident at Moriya Shrine!"

"What do you mean?"

"Reimu Hakurei, Marisa Kirisame and my sister disappeared during the Class One there. I have noticed the nearby fairies have also been more agitated than usual. Meiling has never reported so many fairy attacks before now..." Remilia explained, sipping her tea. "...Sakuya, we are dealing with something beyond us. This means it's pretty big."

The vampire stood up.

"We're dealing with her." Remilia groaned. She hated dealing with Yukari sometimes. Especially when she took it over the top like this.

At this, a large purple tear appeared over Remilia. The vampire spun around and immediately recognized the gap as one of Yukari's, while the maid drew a butterfly knife from a band on her leg.

"Yukari's not here. Please leave a message after the beep," an evil female voice boomed.


"Oh no...Fluttershy!" Dash yelled, trying to get past the police officers while Marisa and Flandre watched.

"Miss, this is a hostage situation!" the officer shouted, trying to push back the strong pegasus. "It's not safe!"

"What's going on?" Marisa asked the officer.

"Some biped's taken hostages."

"...Describe her."

"Blue dress, wings. Why? Friend of yours?"

"Oh, dammit!" Marisa shouted. "It's Cirno."

"Is that her name?"

"Yeah. She's a really dumb fairy. Let me past and I'll deal with her."

"Can't do that, Ma'am," the officer responded. "We don't know what she's capable of."

"She has ice magic, and she's very stupid," Marisa explained. "I'll even take the kid here."

"Why would you do that?!" the officer asked, shocked.

"Because fire beats ice," Marisa replied, smiling slyly.

"Wait, what?"

"Ugh...Just get out of my way," Marisa groaned, pushing the officer out of her and Flandre's path. "Give me five minutes, and you'll get your hostage safe and sound!"

Marisa and Flandre pressed themselves against the outside wall, before Marisa opened the front door outwards. The officers took cover as a barrage of ice danmaku flew out. When it halted, Marisa ran in, firing her own star danmaku and forcing Cirno into cover. Flandre followed, firing her own magic. The vampire's danmaku bullets left large scorch marks in the walls.

"What?!" Cirno yelled, looking at Marisa, before coming out of cover. "Well, if it isn't old black-white!"

"Hey! I'm not old!" Marisa turned to Flandre. "Am I?"

The vampire shook her head, before turning to Cirno and holding her arm up. She pointed at the fairy, before lining up a gap between her fingers with the ice fairy's head. Marisa noticed the girl's activity in the corner of her eye, but didn't say anything.

"So what brings you to my house?" Cirno asked, as if she was completely innocent.

"It's not your house. Where's the hostages?" Marisa demanded.

"You people keep saying that!" Cirno complained. "For the last time, I don't know any hostages!"

"Uh huh," Marisa deadpanned. "Flandre!"

The vampire connected her fingers, and the fairy disappeared in an explosion. Marisa shielded her eyes with her hand, before looking at Flandre.

"Boom goes the dynamite, am I right?"

Outside, the police officers cowered at the explosion.

"Should we go in now?" an officer asked.

"No! It's too dangerous!" the captain snapped. "Somepony will get killed if we go in!"

Inside the house, Marisa and Flandre stared at the fairy's previous position.

"Alright, you stay here and wait for her to come back. I'll check the house," Marisa ordered, patting Flandre on the shoulder.

Marisa climbed the stairs, and saw the ice statues of Rarity and Fluttershy.

"Oh, Hell no..." Marisa whispered, checking the statues. She ran back downstairs, only to see Cirno's form rebuilding in a ball of light. As soon as the resurrection was complete, Marisa grabbed the fairy by the collar and slammed her against the wall.

"What did you do to Rarity and Fluttershy!?"

"I did what to who now? Why are you grabbing me!? I've done nothing!" Cirno yelled. "Help! Help! I'm being repressed!"

"What? You took hostages! You committed a crime!"

"Oh sure, just because I'm a fairy, I did something! You humans are all racist, you know that!?" Cirno complained loudly, not quite getting the point. "Always keeping the fairies down! Where's your evidence?"

"...The couch is frozen, and you were yelling that you owned this house now."

"Got any proof that I did that?"

"We can easily blow you up again!" Marisa threatened. "There are two frozen ponies upstairs!"

"Hah! You said 'people,' not 'ponies!'" Cirno defended. "This is an illegal arrest! I want a lawyer!"

"I am the law, you idiot!" Marisa replied, her patience with the fairy wearing extremely thin.

"Oh sure, just because you suck up to the red-white! She's not the law, and you're not the law!" Cirno argued.

Marisa facepalmed. "Listen, you're gonna march upstairs and thaw them two out. Got it?"

"...Thaw who out?"

Marisa facepalmed again. She had forgotten just how stupid some fairies were. She grabbed Cirno's arm and led her to the ice statues.

"These guys!"

"Oh. Yeah, give me a second." Cirno nodded. The ice started melting around Fluttershy. When the mare was completely thawed, she gasped deeply and began hyperventilating.

"Flandre! Run Fluttershy to the nice people outside!" Marisa ordered.

Flandre nodded, before she led Fluttershy outside. The police officers pointed.

"One hostage is out! We're gonna need an ambulance!" the captain ordered into his radio, watching Flandre run past him. "Repeat, one bird is out of the cage!"

Marisa pointed at Rarity. "Thaw her. And be damn careful about it."

The ice fairy focused as she reclaimed the ice from Rarity's body. Marisa watched as the mare thawed out. The ice cracked, as slabs of it fell to the floor. The mare gasped, before looking at her ruined mane, and moving to strangle the fairy.

"Woah woah! Rarity!" Marisa snapped, pulling the enraged pony off of Cirno with some effort. "It's fine!"

"Let me at her!" Rarity screamed. "I'll teach her to freeze me!"

"Rarity, come on...Go outside."

Rarity calmed down, before walking past the witch and fairy and out of the house.

"The two birdies are free!" the captain yelled to his officers, before they saw Marisa and Cirno walking out; the witch's hand holding the fairy's hands behind her back.

"That's her!" the captain shouted.

The police officers surrounded Cirno.

"Get down on the ground! You are under arrest!" the officer screamed at Cirno, putting a pair of plastic cuffs on the fairy's hands. A unicorn officer hoisted Cirno up by the hoofcuffs, before levitating the fairy into the back of a police carriage. Marisa could still hear her complaining about 'illegal arrest' and 'oppression' as the carriage pulled away.


Princess Celestia woke with a start. Her dreams were invaded by shadows of demons. A thousand eyes stared at her.

She rubbed her eyes, before staring straight ahead. There was another being there.

"You are not to talk in my presence," the being said, her dark purple dress reflecting the evil aura around her. "You are to enact the order that the humans Reimu Hakurei and Marisa Kirisame, vampire Flandre Scarlet, and the pilot known as Mobius One be arrested."

"What?!" Celestia cried. The dark influence was persuading her, but she attempted to fight it.

"They are currently in the Carousel Boutique, Ponyville. You know where that is."

"No! I will not do your bidding!"

"Scream all you want. The boundaries are set. You will do this."

"You hold no power over me!" Celestia growled, standing up and lighting up her horn. "Go back to the shadows!"

Celestia fired repeated magic bolts at the biped, but she avoided every single blast.

"I have made myself clear, Celestia, Daughter of Sol."

"Who are you?!" Celestia ordered.

"My name is Lady Yukari Yakumo," the youkai of boundaries introduced herself, her blonde hair flashing green for a spilt second, while her eyes changed color from gold to green. "I am the undisputed ruler of Gensokyo and Equestria."

"What are you talking about!? My sister and I are the rulers of this country!"

"Not any more. Your final order is the arrest of the persons I have stated," Yukari growled. She almost wished she had kept Yukari's shinigami around, instead of sealing her into a rock in order for her not to disrupt her plan.

Yukari's right hand began attempting to go for her own neck, before Yukari brought it under control with her left. Celestia noticed how Yukari's eyes changed color during the outburst.

Is she insane? Or is she possessed!?

"You will stay quiet, Yakumo." Yukari whispered to herself. She turned back to the Sun Princess. "Make the order. Or I will make it for you."

Yukari summoned two circles. Both had two white dots inside. She moved the white dot of the first one beyond the boundary of benevolence and tyranny, while she moved the second beyond the boundary of resistance and submissiveness.

Celestia felt as if she was watching herself, unable to do anything as she picked up the emergency telephone with her magic and called the military high command.

"Hello?"

"This is Princess Celestia. Send a battalion of Royal Guards to Ponyville."

"Ponyville, Princess?" the general on the other end of the line asked.

"Yes. The targets are in Carousel Boutique, Ponyville, District of Canterlot." Celestia's body said, as her mind desperately attempted to rebel. "All bipeds in the building are to be arrested and imprisoned in the Castle Dungeons."

"Are you sure, Princess?" the general on the other end answered. "Arrest orders do not tend to impress the public much..."

Yukari moved a second dot beyond the boundary of resistance and submissiveness.

"We will do it right away," the general responded.

The line went dead.

"Now, I want to make sure that you do not do anything silly like write a pardon, child," Yukari mocked, looking at her nails casually. "So you are going to be quite quiet for a while."

Celestia could only stare as a bloodied knife materialized in the left hand of Yukari.

Using the knife, she moved a dot beyond the boundary of sleep and wakefulness. Celestia felt sleep overwhelm her.

Yukari laughed. "At last, vengeance against the shrine maiden. Vengeance on her accursed family...and vengeance on the witch who dared betray me. Finally, I will be avenged!"

Yukari looked down at herself.

"I am sorry, Miss Yakumo, that I was forced to use your powers this way. But you're a Youkai, and these powers can't be wasted on such a simple creature as yourself."

"Let me go, Mima!" Yukari's true voice cried.

"Oh, stop complaining," Mima's voice responded. "You're giving me a headache."

Author's Note:

Ah, Cirno. Why are you such a fun character to write?