• Published 28th Aug 2013
  • 757 Views, 5 Comments

The Legend of Zepplin Tales in Equestria - Zeta Dragon



Zepplin is an Alicorn Rock Star who ends up in Ponyville and meets Princess Twilight and her friends as they learn of a destiny as old as time. Will this new adventure be a Stairway to Heaven or a Highway to Hell?

  • ...
9
 5
 757

Chapter 4 Train Kept a Rollin

Episode 4 Train Kept a Rollin

The Six Ponies along with Hawk walked to the train station. They were wearing hats and sunglasses and various other disguises.

“Ok remember the plan girls.” Twilight said. All the ponies and Hawk nodded their heads.

“Let’s do this.” Said Hawk with a determined scowl. “How you holding up Zepplin?” he asked as he looked towards Rarity’s enormous suitcase.

“First of all I can’t breathe. Second of all my tail feels like it’s been shoved right up my a..oww!”

Rarity removed her back hoof from the bag. “Shhh. You mustn’t give yourself away!”

“You really think this is gonna work?” Zepplin asked, his voice muffled by thick cloth bag.

“It’s worth a shot.” Said Twilight. They approached the train station.

Rainbow Dash flew up to the ticket counter and said “Eight tickets to Canterlot please.”

Pinkie Pie punched her in her arm.

“Oww. What was tha… oh uh I mean seven. Seven tickets to Canterlot please.” She finished with a cheesy grin.

“Yes Ma’am.” The ticket cashier handed her seven golden slips of paper.

“Thanks.” Rainbow replied.

“All aboard for Canterlot!” the conductor said as one by one Hawk and the ponies boarded the train. Rarity struggled with all her bags and was approached by the conductor.

“Excuse me Ma’am, would you like some help with those?” he asked.

“NO!” Rairity shouted “uh I mean NO thank you ahaha. I can manage.” She said as she used her magic to lift the bag with Zepplin on to the train.

Hawk took the bag and followed Twilight to the royal cabin where they put the baggage down. The royal cabin was slightly larger than the other standard cabins. Here there would be more room for all eight of them.

“Tickets please.” The passing conductor announced. Applejack met him at the door to the cabin and handed him the tickets. “And seven makes seven.” He said as he punched the paper and continued on. A few minutes later a voice came in over an intercom.

“Good evening mares and stallions and welcome aboard the Friendship express nonstop to Canterlot. We should be arriving at our destination by morning so relax, get a good night’s rest, and enjoy your ride.”

“Zepplin you can come out now.” Twilight said as Hawk closed and locked the door to the cabin. Fluttershy gently opened the zipped bag and Zepplin came tumbling out right into the wall gasping for air.

“Oh thank Celestia.” He gasped. He then stood up and brushed himself off.

“Sorry that was uncomfortable darling but I didn’t know how else to sneak you on.” Rarity said.

Rainbow Dash yawned “Anypony else ready to hit the hay?” she asked.

“mmhmm!” they all agreed except Rarity.

“Wait!” she yelled, as everyone looked at her with her eyes wide. “Zepplin is in no state to meet the high Princess. We need to get him freshened up. I mean what is he supposed to wear?”

“Good thing I grabbed this.” Hawk said reaching into his bag pulling out the suit that Rarity had made.

Zepplin looked “ Hawk how did you know we would need that!”

“Hey being your manager for as long as I’ve been, I know to be prepared.” Hawk smirked.

---

That night Zepplin lied awake in the lower cot. As he looked around he saw Hawk Sleeping in the bottom bunk across from him and Rainbow in the upper bunk above him. Zepplin then looked up on his side and saw Twilight sleeping soundly in the bunk above him. Zepplin sighed and turned over when he heard a voice.

“Trouble sleeping eh sugar.” It was Applejack. Zepplin rolled back over and found her laying up in the bunk behind him.

“That obvious?”

“Well shoot, you’re makin more noise than poor ol granny smith when she done broke her hip.” Applejack responded. “So, what’s bothering you Zepplin? Gotta be something on a stallions mind if he’s up at this hour.” She said.

“I was just thinking.” Zepplin said “About the cloud dome. What if somepony got hurt? What if… (sigh) I cause more harm than good.” Zepplin shed a tear.

Applejack looked at him. “What were you talking about with Twilight?” she asked “Back at sugarcube corner?” Applejack clarified.

“How did you?” Zepplin began.

“I hear a lot of things.” Applejack said. “You asked her if we were the real wielders of the elements of Harmony, and she told you yes. She also told me, you seemed like you had something on your mind about that.”

Zepplin’s tears came more steadily. “ You have no idea what it’s like, when you walk out on stage, when you gaze upon an army of beings, when you hear them roar louder than the loudest thunder. You have no idea what it’s like, when thousands you don’t even know scream your name and worship you like you’re some kind of king. You have no idea what it’s like to not have a home, to live on the road or in the sky. And why? All I do is play music, all I do is sing. All I do is get up on stage to play and sing my music and ponies treat me like I’m Celestia herself. You save the world twice and you know when you go to sleep that you made a difference. You know that without you and your friends Equestria wouldn’t exist. The ponies treat me how they should treat you and your friends, but all I am is a fake, I’m nothing but a no good useless fake.”

“Zepplin you make ponies happy. They enjoy your music.” Applejack said.

“(sniff) What good is being happy if you aren’t around to enjoy it? Now you and all your friends are going through all this trouble smuggling me aboard a train to Canterlot to get an audience with the Princess. What did I do to deserve this?”

Applejack got out of her bunk and went over next to him. “You’re our friend. This is what friends do. I know you’ll find where you belong someday, but know that you are always welcome among us. No matter what happens.”

Zepplin turned to her and stared at her as his tears stopped. “Thanks Applejack” he said “I f-feel better now.”

“Well I’m glad partner. Now you get some shut eye, you got a busy day tomorrow.” She turned and crawled back into her bunk.

“Yeah, goodnight Applejack.” Zepplin said as he rolled back over.

---

The next morning the sun’s rays shot through the small window near Zepplin’s bunk as his eyes fluttered open. He sat up and stretched as he looked around and saw everypony else do the same. Hawk looked over at him.

“Well today’s the big day, let’s see if we can get this mess cleaned up.”

Zepplin responded to him. “Yeah I’d really like that!”

They passed a sign that said, ‘Now approaching Canterlot.'

Fluttershy was keeping watch out the window on the door to the cabin. “O-ooh the c-c-c-conductors coming.” She said in her soft voice.

“Ok Zepplin back in the bag” Twilight said.

Zepplin sighed as he squeezed himself back into Rarity’s bag.

“All off for Canterlot!” the conductor shouted as he passed by tapping on the doors of the cabins. “Princess Sparkle.” He greeted as Twilight nodded her head.

Hawk once again helped Rarity carry the bag off the train and down to solid Canterlot ground. Hawk carried the bag over to a nearby ally, secluded from the rest of the public and let Zepplin out.

Zepplin looked around and entered the main street without anypony noticing. “Wow Hawk, remember when we did that benefit concert here?” Zepplin said.

“Oh don’t remind me. Benefit my fluffy tail! I remember that stupid mare with her flare gun she shot off in the place. There was so much fire I’m surprised the water didn’t start smoking.”

“Didn’t we write a song about that?” Zepplin questioned.

“Hay if I know, I just keep you out of trouble.” Zepplin and Hawk walked with Princess Twilight and her friends with Zepplin in the middle surrounded by all of them so as nopony would recognize him.

“The castles just up ahead. Princess Celestia knows we’re coming. I had Spike send a letter before we left.” Twilight said.

“oh I do hope this all goes s-smoothly.” Said Fluttershy.

“I’m not worried. Zepplin’s talked his way out of worse if you can believe it.” Hawk said.

“I have not!” Zepplin shouted.

“Oh really? Remember the riot in St. Luna Maresourri?” Hawk asked.

Zepplin’s eyes widened. “Let’s not talk about that.” He said as he smiled embarrassed.

“Here we are!” Twilight said as the group stopped in front of the grand palace gates where two pegasus ponies in royal armor guarded the gate with their wings crossed like swords.

They stood at attention “Princess Sparkle” the saluted and uncrossed their wings.

“Thank you” she said as they allowed the group to pass into the palace courtyard.

As Zepplin looked around he saw tremendous gardens and majestic fountains. He had never seen a more beautiful place. “This place is amazing!” He said to which Twilight gave a smile. As they approached the stairs leading up to the grand hall and the throne room they stopped.

“I think I should go in first and then you follow when I say to. Alright Zepplin?” Twilight said.

"Sounds good to me I just want to get this mess put behind me.” Zepplin said.

“Splendid I’ll be right back!” as Twilight trotted up the stairs and entered Celestia’s throne room.

“My faithful student.. op.. I mean Princess. Twilight how are you!” Celestia said as Twilight looked and saw the Princess sitting on her throne with a grin on her face.

“I’m doing great your highness.” Twilight said. “I came to clear up a matter involving the rock star Zepplin.”

“Why of course Twilight, I received your letter last night. I have Zepplin’s pardon for the cloud dome all ready, I just need him to sign it.”

“Great. Thank you so much your Highness. I’ll go get him.” Twilight ran back out and told Zepplin he could come in. Hawk and the other ponies wished him luck as Zepplin turned and followed Twilight up the stairs. As Zepplin entered the throne room his golden eyes met with the pony Princess Celestia. He knelt down and bowed his head slightly shaking as he was unsure what his punishment would be or if there would even be one.

“Arise young Zepplin.” Princess Celestia said. “Tell me Zepplin were you always an alicorn?” she asked. Zepplin stuttered but responded.

“W-why yes I was born like this your highness.”

“Curious, I thought I knew all the alicorns in Equestria.” Celestia said. “Where do you hail from?” She asked Zepplin.

“W-well your highness I, uh don’t know. I was abandoned in the Everfree forest when I was just a colt. I was saved by a passing Wonderbolt.” Zepplin said.

“I see I apologize, I had no idea.” Celestia said.

“Please your highness, there is no need to apologize.” Zepplin spoke out.

“You are very kind. I am enjoying our little chat. Tell me, you have magic yes?” Celestia smiled at Zepplin.

“Yes your Highness I don’t know that much but I summon a guitar out of thin air and I started performing.” Zepplin said.

Celestia spoke “hmm From what I’ve heard you play pretty loud, sometimes you pass out onstage?”

“Yes your highness I just feel exhausted all of a sudden and I collapse usually my horn glows brighter the louder I play.”

Celestia looked at him “Please, would you mind giving me a display of your music.”

Zepplin looked shocked. “W-w-why of course your majesty.” Zepplin’s horn grew bright as his guitar formed out of light in the air in front of him. He then readied himself and began to play as magic light embraced him. Celestia and Twilight watched as his horn grew brighter as his music became louder and saw as small orbs of light started to appear around him.

“Beautiful” said Celestia “just beautiful. Thank you.”

Zepplin took a few breaths “No no your majesty thank you.” Celesitia used her magic to lift a small piece of paper and a quill from a small table beside her throne. She scribbled on the paper.

“Your Pardon.” She said. “This will completely excuse the cloud dome incident and let the city know that the royal treasury will cover the cost of repairs.”

Zepplin fell to his knees “Thank you so much your highness.”

Celestia looked at him “Think nothing of it. Now if you’ll excuse me I have some things I need to attend to.”

Zepplin once again thanked her and bowed his head as he followed Twilight out of the throne room. Once they were outside Zepplin held up his Pardon and he and the group shared a hug.

“We knew you could do it.” Fluttershy exclaimed.

Hawk put a claw on Zepplin’s back giving him a congratulatory hoof bump as they walked back to the train station. As the train rolled off into the sunset Everypony on board along with Zepplin was thinking where they would go next.