• Published 4th Mar 2012
  • 1,549 Views, 26 Comments

Daring Do and the Cloud-Held Eternity - Trivial



A Young Daring Do story based on idea from the JustForFun/DaringDo TV tropes page. Filly Daring Do.

  • ...
1
 26
 1,549

Prologue

[A/N This story was written as part of a collaborative effort to write the entire Daring-Do series described on the Just For Fun/Daring-Do page on TV Tropes (that page has spoilers). This series consists of sixteen main Daring-Do books and four Young Daring-Do books. I have the pleasure of presenting the fourth book in the Young Daring-Do series: Daring-Do and the Cloud-Held Eternity. I would like to thank Whiles34, my Story Consultant, and Tutis75, my Editor. Now, I do hope you enjoy my story. ~Trivial

My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic and all associated characters are (c) Lauren Faust and Hasbro, Inc.]


Young Daring Do Series: Book 4
Daring Do and the Cloud-Held Eternity

PROLOGUE

I must’ve been crazy, the pegasus thought as he was buffeted by the strong winds. I should have surrendered! Anything that could happen to me in this storm is worse than the Guard! The Guard, at least, would never kill me! A clap of thunder stunned the nearly panicked pony and he felt himself being carried higher by a strong updraft. He felt the temperature drop suddenly and snapped out of his daze. At least there isn't a lot of lightning. As though the storm had heard him, a bright bolt flashed nearby. He screamed and his heart skipped a beat. He forced himself to breathe slowly. OK, the only way I’ll get out of this is to stay calm! There! That looks like the top! As he pulled his way through the dark clouds, the pegasus fought against a strong wind that threatened to drag him back down towards the ground. After what felt like an eternity, just when he felt exhausted and doubted whether he could continue, his head broke the cloud surface. He climbed out and stood on top of the storm.

Letting out a sigh of relief, the stallion pulled a mass of cloud from the storm and leapt on top. He gave it a few quick stomps to relieve the cloud of any excess moisture and carried it upwards, away from the thunderstorm. When he felt he was far enough, he lay down and watched the storm roll away below. I doubt even the Royal Guard will follow me through that. Escaping the Guard had been the one thing on his mind when he entered the wild storm over the Everfree Forest, outside of Canterlot. His luck had been incredible, and he knew it.

The adrenaline was wearing off and he immediately felt dead tired. His entire body started to ache; particularly his wings, which felt like they were just about to fall off. He stretched out his left wing, then his right, and surveyed the damage. Lost a few feathers, but it won’t keep me from flying. He started to wonder at his apparent luck, when he began to shiver violently. He hadn't payed attention the cold since leaving the storm — pegasi don’t feel cold as much as other ponies — but the fact that he was dripping wet made it worse. Furthermore, dusk was fast approaching and he couldn’t count on the sun warming him for much longer. Great…I’ll probably have a bad cold for the next few days, he thought as he burrowed into the center of the small cloud and quickly fell asleep.

He awoke to the morning light filtering through his cloud. Yawning, he stretched and dug himself out of the makeshift shelter. Hmm, it’s still pretty cold. I wonder how far up I am. He glanced over the edge of his cloud and nearly bolted back inside. He was very high up: much higher than he had ever flown before, much higher than any sane pegasi would ever fly. The winds must have carried his cloud higher as he slept.

Trembling, he held the cloud tight as he searched for anything that might be considered a safe harbor. He spotted a lone mass of clouds even higher than he was. Since it was the only thing he saw, other than the ground far, far below, he decided to steer his cloud towards it. The string of clouds turned out to be both further and larger than he guessed. Finally, he reached the bottom of the nearest edge and flew up, landing on the surface. He took a moment to look out over the new cloudscape. His eyes grew wide.