• Published 26th Aug 2013
  • 1,968 Views, 96 Comments

Doctor Whooves Episode 19: The Rifts - Doctor Perseus



Colgate, Clockwork, Bright Eyes, Matilda, and a universally-displaced Daring Do travel to discover the hotspot of dimensional rifts in the Equestrian universe.

  • ...
4
 96
 1,968

Prologue: The Daring and the Crazy

Doctor Whooves: Episode 19

The Rifts

Prologue: The Daring and the Crazy

Elmheim Temple Gate, Deep Jungle, Elmheim, Gaia, Summer, 1002 C.E.

Daring Do let out a triumphant sigh as she stared at the golden gate before her. Finally found it! she thought happily as she passed through the threshold. The air was hot and bugs flew through the air in bucketloads. A long, dirt trail spread out before her and a golden tower rose up from the jungle trees in the distance. Daring groaned a bit as she stretched her sprained wing. It would be a few hours at least before she would be able to fly again.

As she walked along the trail towards her destination, she thought back over the previous months she had spent preparing and researching for this trip. Many ponies across time had given everything to find the Elmheim Temple, but Daring Do was the first pony to actually manage to find the gate and the trail that led to it. "Wait until the gals back home hear about this!" she stated joyfully as she ran down an incline that led towards the clearing in the jungle that held the temple.

The trail to the temple opened up into a large opening. Tall, stone pillars were placed randomly throughout the clearing. Some were falling apart, some had fallen over, and a few had managed to stand upright and untouched throughout the years. In the center of everything was the temple: a massive, glowing collection of gold spires that rose high into the sky and became invisible when looked at through a certain angle with the Sun. A series of steps rose up towards the entrance of the temple, which was an intimidating silver door.

Daring raced up the steps at her usual, quick speed. Even when she couldn't fly, she was still a fast mare. However, she found a truly unexpected surprise waiting for her at the entrance to the Elmheim Temple. A pony in a black cloak was standing in front of the door and examining it closely. A strange rod of sorts with a metal tip was strapped to the pony's waste. Based on the pony's stature and size, Daring deduced that it was a mare. Somepony else is here?! How?! Maybe...maybe this is one of the rumored guardians of the temple, Daring thought. Daring cleared her throat and the cloaked mare turned to face her.

Before Daring could say anything, the cloaked mare let out a cold, sinister laugh that chilled Daring to the bone. "Daring Do?! You're kidding! This is just too precious!" cackled the mare. "Sadly, you aren't the mare I wished to come across."

"Okay. Who are you?" Daring asked bluntly. "How did you manage to find the Elmheim Temple?"

The mare waved a hoof in a bored manner. "I did no research or traveling to find this place like you undoubtedly did, if that's what you're thinking. I simply appeared here. I would have preferred Cloudsdale or Ponyville but at least I'm out of Celestia's dungeon."

"Appeared here? How? The temple has enchantments that prevent ponies from teleporting to it." Daring instantly took notice of the mare's mention of being out of Celestia's dungeon.

"As to who I am, you could just say that I'm a fan of yours."

"A fan?"

"Yes. I used to read your books all the time before I became in charge of the Factory."

"Factory? Books? I haven't written any books! Who are you?!"

"I told you. I'm just a fan."

"Or a criminal on the run."

The mare shook her head. "Oh. I guess I said too much earlier about Celestia's dungeon. Oh well." The mare revealed herself to be a pegasus by spreading out her cyan wings. She then grabbed the rod with her mouth and the metal tip began spitting out electrical sparks. "I know you'll try to return me to prison. Sadly, I can't allow you to do that. You may be one of my old heroes...but I must do what I must do to get my revenge."

The mare lunged at Daring and Daring quickly dodged the electrified rod. Daring spun around and attempted to knock the mare over. The mare flew into the air and swung the rod at Daring. Daring ducked and flung one of her hind legs up into the mare's chest. The mare gasped as the air was kicked out of her and hit the ground. As the mare stood back up, her hood fell. Daring instantly took note of the mare's cyan coat, rainbow mane, and abnormally red eyes. Her face was contorted and caught in a sadistic smile that sent a chill down Daring's spine. "Who...who are you?!" Daring asked.

"If you must know, the name's Rainbow Dash," replied the mare before she lunged at Daring again. Daring dodged the attack and nearly fell down the steps in the process. "A bit less coordinated than I originally pictured you to be, Daring."

"Don't be disappointed yet! I'm just getting warmed up, Rainbow Dash!" Daring quickly ran at Rainbow Dash and knocked the rod from her mouth. She then grabbed onto her and attempted to pin her to the ground. Rainbow extended her wings and took off with Daring still holding onto her. The two mares continued to struggle as they flew through the air around the temple. Daring gasped as Rainbow grabbed her sprained wing and pulled it back. She let out a shrill scream in response and Rainbow kicked her hard in the gut. Daring lost her grasp on Rainbow and began falling towards the ground below. Acting on instinct, she extended her free wing and used it as a glider to weaken her fall. She still managed to hit the ground hard and bruised one of her legs up pretty good.

Rainbow Dash flew back to the ground and grabbed her rod. "Let's just finish this already. I have a goal to meet and no more time for this." As Rainbow raised the rod, the air above the two mares exploded in a blast of white light. Daring Do watched as Rainbow Dash was pulled through what appeared to be a rip in the fabric of reality itself. Her eyes then focused on the Elmheim Temple, which was glowing brightly and emanating a rainbow of different colors. A powerful force began pulling on Daring's body and bringing her closer and closer to the rip. She tried to grab onto something but there was nothing to grab onto. Daring could only struggle and curse angrily as she was pulled into the bright portal.

Sunny Beach, Sunny Island Port, Elmheim, Gaia, Winter, 1002 C.E.

Daring yelped as she flew out of the portal and found herself rolling over a sandy surface. She rolled over again and again until she came to a stop right next to somepony. Daring looked up to see a mare with a red coat and purple mane. The sky was blue and sunny but the mare's large, pink, brim hat was protecting Daring's face from the bright sunlight, allowing Daring to see the mare's amused expression.

"Daring Do, I presume?" asked an interested Matilda as she looked down at the confused adventurer. "Today has certainly become much more interesting."