• Published 15th Aug 2013
  • 1,058 Views, 51 Comments

The Strings Of Life - MLPxMaestro



Life is a full broad spectrum of drama and numerous other emotions, but playing the appropriate notes in life can make a lovely sound. Everypony has their dark turns in life, and their happy improvements. But how far will somepony be willing to go?

  • ...
11
 51
 1,058

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter Nine- Tea and Sunset

The Strings Of Life:

Chapter 9- Tea and Sunset:

It was that time of day that certain ponies would now be on there way home from a day at work, it was also approaching the time of day that ponies would as well be on there way out to go shopping, share gossip on the latest fashion trends, and so forth. But something about being at the edge of Canterlot, looking out over the mountain’s edge, it would make one feel at ease with themselves. Rumor has it that Princess Celestia and Princess Luna themselves even set hoof on that certain spot around the edge of where Octavia had her plans scheduled. It was almost like their peace could still be felt and still lingers there today. That place was however one of the very last places the Princesses spent time with each other before Luna turned into Nightmare Moon.

It was now four o’clock, and Octavia was on her way down to her favorite place to have tea, the Crystal Daffodil. It was a bit pricey, but what would you expect in one of the finest teashops in Canterlot.

Maestro however was running perhaps a bit late, this was usually around the time things would tend to happen around the evening, so he managed to make a lucky assumption that around this time Octavia’s little “meet-up” would occur possibly.

“Guess it’s worth a shot, I mean she forgot to give me a time, so hopefully I’m not either too late or too early.” He said to himself feeling kind of unsure of himself on how well this would end up.

Talking to mares wasn’t his strong suit either, but luckily he managed to get some advice from his father about things like that.

“Son, why don’t I share that advice with you one last time? After all, you need to be precise and punctual within this city. One wrong move, and it might cost you son.”

“I gotcha dad, but you’ve already shared it with me before, just an hour ago.”

“I know, but when it comes to mares, you need to know how to talk and approach them.”

Maestro knew he wasn’t the greatest at talking to them, but surely it couldn’t be all that bad?

“Now Maestro, heed closely now to what I am about to tell you.”

Maestro sighed and then just went with what he said. “Yes father…you may proceed.”

“Wonderful, now then, who is this mare that invited you over for tea might I ask? I need all the info I can get on her so I can offer you better advice, the better your info is.”

His mother then walks into the room overhearing their conversation.

“Oh I remember the first time me and your father met deary. He took me on the most wondrous cruise on a yacht he had years ago, before you joined our family.”

“Yes mom, that’s great and all, but I need to hear out dad before I can head out.”

“Oh, my apologies son of mine, carry on then the both of you.” his mother then left the room.

“Now son, please continue, you remember my question correct?”

“Yes, her name is Octavia.”

“Wait a moment, is this the same mare you called out that night at the competition?”

“Uh…yeah…why you ask?”

“Oh she was that gorgeous one on the stage with you wasn’t she? I didn’t want to say anything because I would embarrass you.” his father chuckled.

“Yeah, that’s her.” Maestro turned his head paying attention to something else.

“Oh how lovely, boy! Well then, how is she?”

“I don’t know her that well yet, dad.”

“Oh I see, so this isn’t a date?”

“Not to my knowledge, but I don’t know about what her plans are?”

“Hmm…interesting, then if I know what I think she doing, this might in fact be a date of her own she scheduled herself. Certain ladies of class will do that. Reason I say that is that I have dealt with a couple of them myself when I was your age. This is how they secretly do things to find out what kind of stallion you really are, and can be.” His father stated.

“You’re saying she’s testing me?”

“Precisely Maestro, you’re a clever son of mine, and that’s what I like about you, you’re a thinker and a planner my boy.” His father smiled.

“So…what do I do then?” Maestro had now realized she was up to something perhaps.
His father continued on for about another minute or so, supplying him with the basics of dating, then he went straight to the chase on advice. Knowing he needed to let his son be off before he arrived too late, he didn’t want him to be unpunctual.

“Now then, here’s the first thing Maestro, let her take the lead first. Do not let her start out the conversation if that is not your strong suit dear boy.”

“What’s next?”

“Hmm let me think…ah yes, here we are! Secondly, complement her every now and then. If she thinks you do not know this is a secret date as she’s planned it out to be, her hearing you complement her will surprise her…in a good way of course, and she will enjoy it. A mare always enjoys being let known that they are fetching, beautiful, etc., but do not let her know about things she already knows herself.” His father states again.

“Okay got it…any more things before I should get going?” Maestro asked, as he was then facing his body towards the door.

“Yes…do you have money?”

“Um…darn…I don’t at the moment.”

“Ah well then no matter, take my money with you, and spend it as you wish. Mares of the financial class type up here within these districts love a stallion that has money. I may not be the richest one around here, certainly not, but I have my sources of obtaining what I need.”

“You can’t buy somepony’s heart though can you?”

“Oh good heavens no! Never use money as a substitute for flattering her, and making her feel better and more comfortable around you. Just use my money whenever you feel like adding a little flare during your time together. For example, get some of the most expensive things on their menu if you wish, but don’t give it away by looking like a total and complete yuppie. Do not act like you swim in money.”

Maestro figured that was all he needed to know, and it seemed to be pretty helpful to his surprise. He had never heard his father speak on a level of mares and dates and such. He thought he actually did a pretty good job for a first-time speaker towards him about such a subject.

“Okay, well thanks a lot dad for letting me use your money.” He waved on his way out the door.

“You are quite welcome Maestro, I shall see you whenever you get back.” His father waved back.

Maestro was all the way on the other side of where Octavia had her plans situated. Luckily, he managed to wave down a cab to take him to the Crystal Daffodil.

This time, he wore a suit his father supplied him, one of his dad’s favorites from within his wardrobe. It was black with silver lining, a two-piece suit to be precise, with a white dress shirt and bowtie to go around his collar. Their were finely cut sapphires within the buttons themselves, and the rims of his pockets were lined with pure silver. He decided to keep his mane the way it usually was, and not have it slicked back like his mother told him to.

On his way over, and enjoying a calming cab ride to the Crystal Daffodil, he had never been to this part of the districts before, and the location he was on his way towards was one of the richest districts of Canterlot, the emerald district.

“We have reached the Crystal Daffodil at your request sir. That will be twenty bits.”

“Twenty?”

“Yes, this isn’t a low-class cab you know, now pay up please.”

Maestro didn’t like his demanding tone, but he might as well not start the evening off with a negative action.

“Okay, here you go.”

“Thank you sir, have a pleasant evening.” The cab then pulls out, and out of sight around the corner of the teashop.

“Well now, lets check how much we have here…” he sifts through his father’s money making sure he actually didn’t get his secondary money amount he used for recreational purposes. He wanted his primary, and luckily he got it.

“Phew, okay that was a close one I’d say.”

“Well I honestly never thought I would see you here this evening.” Said a voice behind him.

“Yeah, well I suppose I made quite a lucky guess here then.” He replied to Octavia to his surprise.

"I even reserved us a table right at the edge, where the view is absolutely breathtaking.” Octavia stated with positivity in her voice.



Eventually, they were both seated just where she had pointed him to, and she was right, it had to be the best table in Canterlot with such a view. If your vision was good enough, you could even see Ponyville down below, and even Cloudsdale up in the clear sky far in front of them.

A pony gave the two of them their menus just as they were seated, and then proceed to start the two of them off with something.

“Ma’am, would you like to have anything to start off your evening with?”

“No thank you, what about you Maestro?” Octavia asks.

“What? Oh, well I think I will…” he then realizes that he’s got money to start this thing off in a good direction.

“I think it would be delightful to start off with some of your finest tea.” He replied to the waitress.

“Would that be the Royal Palace Gold sir?”

“Yes, and could you have it sweetened?”

“Yes sir, we can certainly do that for you. You have exquisite taste too, it’s my favorite.”

Octavia then decided to make herself an order to start it off as well.

“I don’t think I could afford that one, so I will go with-”

Maestro then interrupts her as she proceeds to make her order.

“I can get you one for yourself if you’d like also?”

Octavia wasn’t expecting that at all from him, but still delighted by him being like that.

“Well then, I will have what this Gentlecolt here is having then I suppose.” As Octavia closes her menu and hands it back over to the waitress, continuing to look at Maestro.

“Wonderful choices the both of you! Your teas will be out in just five minutes.” The waitress spoke happily, as she returned back indoors to take care of it.

“So if I might ask, what was all of that about?” Octavia wondered.

“What, Oh that? Yeah I could afford that, and it’s good for the stallion to pay anyways, and not the mare.” He replied.

“Oh, well then…interesting. So why don’t we get to know ourselves for the time being?”
Octavia continued on asking question after question to him, going by what his dad told him to do, and so far he was doing fine.

“So therefore, you now know how it all happened between me and that…”

“That silver stringed jerk, right?”

“That’s putting it lightly, but sure we could go with that, why not?”

“Yeah, why not? It’s not like he can hear us.”

“You’re right, he can’t hear us, lucky for that Unicorn.” she chuckled a bit.

“All of his smarts must have gone straight to that horn of his, no wonder he was so narrow-minded on things.”

“Agreed, but don’t underestimate him though entirely. He can ruin your life if you’re not on your guard.” Octavia replied.

“Okay I have both of your delectable teas. I have two cups of the Royal Palace Gold.” The Unicorn waitresses’ horn then glowed as she used her magic to gently pour out the tea into their cups, and then gently floats the cups onto their table.

“Is there anything else you need?” the waitress asks kindly.

“No ma’am, thank you for your time.” Maestro replies.

“Of course…Maestro was your name correct sir?”

“Yes it is.” He replied again.

“Of course! You’re the one who won the competition just a couple of days ago, right?”

“That’s me, but it was by the grace of Celestia I won though.”

“Of course sir…well anywho enjoy your teas both of you.” the waitress then makes her way back inside, leaving the two of them to themselves looking out over all of Equestria it felt like to them.

“So now, how did you obtain such an upper-class pocket, hm? I never knew you to be the type?” Octavia smiled.

“Well um, you see?” Maestro then recalls what his dad told him while he was getting dressed to head out. “Do not lie to a mare of class, they can tell if you are.”


Octavia waited a bit for a response. “Is everything okay?” she asked slightly concerned.

He then stands back up from the table, and lets out something he had been keeping her for a while now. She looks up at him just before she puts the cup to her mouth, and then stops herself to hear him out.

“This isn’t my money.” He says.

“Oh? It isn’t?”

“No, it’s not…it’s my dad’s money, I feel like a fake now.”

Maestro figured this would have hurt their evening, but actually it was a positive.

“You’ll be fine Maestro, no need to stand up over such a small matter as that.” she giggled.

“What?”

Maestro was surprised; he thought his dad said mares like a stallion with money though? Perhaps money wasn’t the only thing they are looking for?

“Don’t worry Maestro, I understand. You borrowed it from…your parents correct?”

He then faced his eyes back down to his teacup, and took a sip nodding his head in reply to her question.

“Well that shows that you aren’t a liar…I like that.”

“You…like that?”

“Of course I do, one liar is enough for me, and you’re not one of them I hope.”

“No, I’m not a liar.” He replies again.

“Of course.” she then takes another sip of her tea then looks out over the edge.

“Isn’t this view amazing? I’ve only been here once, my grandmother took me to this very spot one clear night when I was just a filly.”

Her smile then transitioned to an expression of then thinking back to memories she had with her grandmother, and her smile became a straight-faced expression.


Maestro then thought again back to what his dad told him. “A mare always enjoys being let known that they are fetching, beautiful, etc., but do not let her know about things she already knows herself.”

“Well then, guess I should get on with it then shouldn’t I? He thinks to himself.

Her scoots his chair a little closer to where she sat, as she then looks back over to what he was doing, then looking back out to the lovely view that had been bestowed to the two of them.

“It is amazing, but what if it’s this way because it’s trying to look as good as you are?”

Octavia’s ears perked up a bit more after hearing such a remark.

“W-what, did you say?” as she now faced him.

“Um well…what if it’s as amazing as it looks right now, only in efforts to look as beautiful as you do I suppose.”

Her cheeks then became red as beets, as she then turned her head away from him. Putting one of her hoofs gently over her mouth as she giggled back to him.

“You think I’m beautiful?”

“I don’t see why I couldn’t think that? There isn’t any rules against it is there?” he flirted to her a second time.

“No…no there isn’t.” She giggled once again back to him.

She turned her head back to him, with her cheeks still red, but nothing she could do about it.

“Your cheeks are red, you feeling okay?” he asked.

“I’m fine, no need to ask that.” she softly grinned.

“I don’t know you might be sick, are you sure you’re not sick? Because I hope you’re not getting sick of me?”

“Ooh a thinker huh? No, I’m not getting sick of you one bit.” Octavia then figured she would then play along with his little game he had going.





After they had their lovely time, sharing a laugh or two at the table, telling all sorts of comical stories, even adventurous ones of when they were little. How they would get into trouble at that age. Even how Maestro at one time threw expensive books into his parent’s fireplace when he was just a couple of years old human years-wise of course, to keep the fire going one cold winter.

Octavia then took him to the very edge of the area where they can lookout over Ponyville and see on forever it seemed to them.

“Follow me, I want to show you something.”

Octavia then takes Maestro by his hoof, and leads him down to a lower part of the edge, it had a bench, as this area was elevated lower than the edge that they looked out over. This area of the ledge was naturally made it seemed for them to have privacy.

“Here, have a seat.” She gestured.

As he then sat on the bench, and as the ground they were on just moments ago before they made their way down to the area he was now putting him out of sight of that entire districts area, it left the two of them to themselves seemingly.

Octavia then took her seat beside him.

“You could never see this spot where we’re at right now up there at the table and so forth. It’s strange really, usually couples come down here I bet to have a little romance I suppose, but I don’t know the real story.” She stated.

She then looked back towards him, and seemed to be just caught by his eyes.

“What?” he then looked back to her immediately thereafter, just seeing her look at him with a light smile. Her youthful purple eyes seemed to shine a bit within the sunlight, which was now very close to becoming a sunset.

“What is it?” Octavia then asked, as they now seemed to just look at each other.

“Your eyes…”

“I’ve never seen any quite like them.” he then sat there just merely looking into her gorgeous purple eyes, as they seemed to have a lovely hypnotic and relaxing presence.

“Thank you very much…he never said that about my eyes to me personally.”

“Who didn’t?” he asked in return.

“Silver Strings…he never did say that to me…only you have.” She replied softly.

They both remained on that bench talking, as Luna’s moon could now be seen being raised. They were now sitting under a blanket it seemed, with a bunch of little tiny white holes in it. The gentle breeze could be felt rushing past them as it caressed over the edge they remained at. Octavia’s lovely mane seemed to glide with the wind, as it tickled Maestro’s nose a bit, she gave a giggle here and there. Could Maestro be possibly falling for her? Never has he ever felt like this before in his life, so what does he need to do now? He was never given advice if this little “test” of hers ever went this far? All he could do now was improvise, as he was a thinker if he felt like it and it mattered.

Octavia then looked from the corner of her eye, but not turning her head facing him, as she acted to look up towards the full moon.

Maestro looked back over to her, as her gorgeous black hair seemed to shine a bit from the moonbathed night.

“This moon has not been this bright in a long time from what I recall?”

“Nature’s surely jealous of your looks today I suppose.” He cleverly replied.

Octavia then looked back at him with a smile once more. She then got a little closer to him, and then…she placed her head on his shoulder.

“Oh gosh, oh gosh, what do I do now? Why did I say that?” he thought in his mind.

“Thank you for saying that stuff about me also while we were having tea up there. That was awfully flattering of you.” she added.

“Okay, she said thanks for the complements…now what the hay do I do now? Come on Maestro, think dude…think!” he kept thinking, but only coming up with something mild.

Then, something happened that caused him to go speechless. Octavia then slowly lifted her head off of his shoulder, as her soft mane seemed to cushion his shoulder.

“Thank you for taking this evening to get to know each other better, I had a wonderful time with you.” she smiled softly to him.

“Well, we should do this again some other time, I think it would be smashing to do something like this again. I’ll talk to you later, okay? But for now, good night…Maestro.” She added once more, as she then leaned in to softly kiss his cheek.

“You’re a wonderful stallion Maestro, any mare would be lucky to have you.” she added again, as she then was on her way back up, and on her way back home for the night.

“Of course Octavia…you’re uh…you’re…welcome.” He replied in a slight stutter. They then both were now on their ways back home, never forgetting the night they had together. A night only fit for one thing in his mind, “Tea and Sunset.” he thought.

PreviousChapters Next