• Published 28th Feb 2012
  • 1,200 Views, 15 Comments

Moonstruck - senorpaii



Just a story to describe my take on Screwball's past.

  • ...
4
 15
 1,200

Chapter 1: The Introduction

Moonstruck

Chapter 1: The Introduction

The night Screwball arrived in Canterlot was a chaotic night. It was a cold, windy night, which would not have seemed abnormal except for the fact that the middle of the spring had just arrived, and there was no scheduled wind storm for another three weeks. The storm only lasted for about twenty minutes, however, before it all dissipated and the night became quiet again. The only sound that could be heard was that of a crying baby.

Celestia woke from an uneasy slumber to these sounds, and several thoughts ran through her mind. Why is there a baby crying in the castle? The Canterlot Hospital is three miles down the street!

Just then, a frantic maid ran into Celestia’s bed chamber, carrying a small, lavender colored filly.

“P..P..Princess...I found this here young un’ crying next ta Discord’s statue. What shoulda’ do?”

Celestia looked at the little filly, and then back to the maid. Both the origin of the surprise filly and the purpose to which it might be put immediately flashed before her.

Reaching a decision, the Princess of the Sun said, “Well, this seems to be another one of Discord’s little tricks. I believe we shall raise this filly, as one of our own. When Discord makes his return, she may be the key to defeating him.”

--------------------

That same night, elsewhere in the castle, a young orange colt was just starting to learn to walk. His mother, Ruby Folio, had finally been allowed to return to her work as the castle librarian and was trying to teach her young colt ambulatory skills before her return in the morning. His father Sear Prism, one of the castle mages, was off on business that night. Strangely enough, at the same moment that Celestia was taking the unknown filly in her arms, young Tuxedo Prism was successfully taking his first steps. A filly and a colt, both new in Equestria...

--------------------

1 YEAR LATER

--------------------

It had been a year since the odd storm came about, bringing a new pony into the world. Celestia had been personally teaching the young lavender filly everything she would need to know to be a functioning member of society.

While the Princess was teaching the filly now known as Screwball, young Tuxedo was beginning his first days of schooling in magic kindergarten. While most children waited until they were three or four to start their schooling, his parents had noticed how adept he was to learning new things quickly. They had decided it would be best for him to start his schooling as early as possible, and they were correct. He was quickly moving towards the head of his class, both in learning magic and reading and writing skills.

After a few months of schooling it became apparent to Celestia that Screwball was a hopeless cause. She had decided it would be in the filly’s best interest to just keep her contained in the castle since, as the Princess eventually came to say, Screwball was the ‘embodiment of the spirit of perverseness’. When Celestia taught her about being kind and listening to other ponies, Screwball did the opposite. She ignored any testing thrown at her and even made fun of the test givers. This behavior persisted, and it had become obvious to the royal Alicorn that this truly was the daughter of Discord, the god of chaos. Celestia decided it would be in the filly’s best interest to keep her contained within the castle walls, so that she would not cause too much trouble in the outside world of Equestria. All efforts were made to keep her from feeling like a prisoner.

Screwball accepted her new life, and, like Tuxedo, was a very progressive learner at things she enjoyed. She could speak with elegant language, at times, but usually misused a few words and never made sense. It was still astonishing that a filly only a year old could even pronounce such words, but, if it was needed for a prank, Screwball could say it.

It was around this same time that young Tux was starting to become the head of his class, not to mention the envy of the other ponies. He was quickly alienated by his classmates, and frequently responded to questions about playdates with, “What friends, mother?”

This sad state of affairs continued, much to his parent’s worry and his own disappointment. It was not until, on the way home one day that things began to change.

Tuxedo saw strange lavender filly walking into a wall repeatedly He stopped and dropped his saddle bag to go see what was wrong with her, happy for some distraction from an otherwise regularly disappointing day.

He called out to her “Miss! Miss, Is something the matter?”

The lavender pony quickly turned around and stared blankly at young Tuxedo. Tux noticed how her eyes were not like that of a normal pony, but instead, a single shade of purple with no noticeable pupil. It gave him a start, but was easily the most interesting thing he had seen recently.

While Tux was staring at strange pony, she gave him her reply. “FRAGGLEROCK!”

The young unicorn stared blankly at this response “What!?”

“Fragglerock,” said the strange lavender pony, by way of clarification. A smile rose across her face as she elaborated by saying “isrockthatisfragglesandandand doyoulikebananas?”

The orange unicorn stared blankly at the strange earth pony. After a moment’s hesitation, he said again, “Are you alright?”

She stared at him with a gleam in her eyes. “BEEEEEEEEEEEEP!”

Tux couldn’t help but laugh at this statement and how outrageous it was. Screwball stared at the orange unicorn with a puzzled look.

“whylaughatscrewwwwyyy?”

“Because you are quite a silly filly”.

She looked at him with a smile and nodded in agreement. Tux continued. “Would you like to come over for dinner? If it’s all right with your parents.”

The lavender filly looked back, confused. “whatparents, I liveinthecastlewithCelestia andshetrytoteachmebutvoice inheadsaystodo oppositeandIdothatand jokeheeheehee.”

The unicorn was stunned at this statement, but tried his best to hide the shock from his face.

“Why don’t you go ask the Princess if it would be alright if you spent some time with me? I need a friend, and it looks like you could too.”

Screwball stared blankly at the orange colt and then nodded, finally understanding. With a loud “BEEP” the filly was off, more excited than usual, and galloping happily to and fro in search of Celestia.

Tuxedo looked after her.

“My, what a strange filly...”