• Published 10th Aug 2013
  • 804 Views, 13 Comments

Chaotic Courtship - TheOldPonyFromScene24



When accepting dating advice from a friend, make sure said friend isn't an ancient god of chaos and mischief.

  • ...
4
 13
 804

Chapter 2

Applejack trudged into Fluttershy's home, the door being held open for her. Their relationship had only begun a few weeks ago, and they were both feeling immense pressure. They both felt like they desperately needed to do something special, but with no real experience to speak of, neither of them could figure out how to go about it, and both were becoming obsessed with figuring out exactly how they should spend time together romantically. Their friends, though well meaning and trustworthy, were certainly no help in this area.

Everything Rarity recommended was something that would have dozens of high class eyes staring at them, exacerbating Fluttershy's nerves and judging Applejack's every faux pas. Twilight went to books for help, but these only offered advice for getting to know a pony you only just met, in the context of a date. Pinkie Pie gave the most easily predicted answer: Attend parties together. While that advice might have worked out, there weren't a lot of parties going on, and they'd hate for their friend to overtax herself by throwing them a party every time they wanted to spend time together. And as for Rainbow Dash's idea... Well, Applejack wanted her big brother to be happy, and if it made a friend happy, all the better, but Big Macintosh probably wouldn't be prepared for a relationship where the other pony's idea of a date was to “just go buck.”

All these memories running through her head, Applejack nearly collided with Fluttershy's house guest. Or, she would have almost run into him, but even if she hadn't stopped, there seemed to be a rather large hole in his torso with a ramp leading up to and down from it. She just rolled her eyes a bit.

“You're still here?” She asked, sounding only half as tired as her failed attempts to spend time doing something special with her special somepony had been making her feel.

“That a problem?” He asked, grinning. Applejack just sighed and slumped onto the couch.

“Naw...Any friend of Fluttershy's, an' all that...” She watched as her fillyfriend hesitated a bit, before joining her on the sofa, and cringed a bit that she'd even waited. Fluttershy did truly seem to want this, but that was probably why she seemed to be acting more nervous around Applejack than she usually did with total strangers.

“Still no good ideas?” Discord asked, the tunnel through his body finally closing up. The two mares shook their heads.

“We ain't exactly got all the time together we want... An' tryin' so hard to find somethin' ta spend that time on is startin' ta wear on...both of us?” She looked up, not presuming to speak for Fluttershy. The pegasus gave a quick nod, looking down sadly.

“I'm starting to think...” Her breath hitched in her throat as tears formed in her eyes, “That it just isn't going to work...” She felt Applejack's forelegs around herself, and some of the fear dissipated.

“Don't think like that, sugarcube. It ain't really that big a' deal...” Even as she said these words, she felt some of Fluttershy's doubts creeping into her heart.

“I've got something you could try,” Discord offered, grinning.

“...No offense, Discord, but what'd y'all know about pony datin'?” Applejack gave him a confused look as she pulled out of the hug.

“...Well, he did help me realize how I felt about you.” Fluttershy mumbled, looking up to him appreciatively. Applejack smiled a little.

“Ah reckon that'll earn ya some consideration. So, whaddaya have in mind? Where do we go fer a date?”

“Well, it's not really a date, per se... It's a bit more complicated than that. I mean, it's LIKE a date...But it also helps you figure out if you can make it as a couple.” He told them.

“...Ah dunno...This sounds a mite fishy...”

“...Let's give it a try, Applejack. Please?” Fluttershy was afraid, but she also felt like she was running out of options, and was desperate to latch onto some idea before any chance they had as a couple would slip through their hooves.

“...Fine. Fer you, sugarcube.” She told her, resting her hoof on Fluttershy's.

“So, you're both interested?” They each nodded to Discord. A mischievous smile on his face made them wish they hadn't.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Fluttershy groaned loudly. Thank heavens this pillow was so soft. She hadn't felt like this since the morning after that bottle Rainbow Dash brought over when she finally landed her weather management job. As she opened her eye a bit, she could almost hear the eyelid dragging itself up. She gasped, jumping into a sitting position. Those weren't her walls. This wasn't her bed! And that snoring! Who was that!? She nervously turned over in bed to see who else was in the room. She felt much better about things when she realized that, wherever she was, Applejack was there with her. A different kind of worry shot through her when she realized that they'd apparently shared a bed last night. She tried to run, to lift off, to fly out the window.

Applejack's eyes slowly opened to the sound of Fluttershy screaming. Once she saw why, she screamed out as well.

“WHERE ARE YOUR WINGS?!” She shouted, finally giving coherent words to the panic they both felt.

“WHERE ARE MY WINGS?!” Fluttershy repeated, rubbing her sides frantically, as if they had somehow hidden in the fur of her coat.

“WHERE ARE WE?!”

“WHY WERE WE IN BED TOGETHER?!”

They both paused, taking deep breaths, eyes darting about the room, before, finally, one question came from both their mouths.

“What did Discord do?!” They quickly climbed out of the bed, ignoring their throbbing headaches, and began searching the room, eventually spotting a note on the wall above the bed's headboard, getting in close to read it together.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“You're probably wondering,” the note began, “where you are. Or, if you noticed that first, where Fluttershy's wings went. Don't worry, they'll be back when you're done here. As for what 'here' is, it's not a place that actually exists. Or, at the very least, it didn't until I made it for you. Before I exiled my kin from our world to rule alone, draconequi couples would spend months in these places without their powers or any special abilities, which should tell you why those wings are gone. Right now, you're on your way to an island, unless you overslept and ran ashore already. On the island, you'll find many dangers, and some ruins and temples. The two of you have to work together to solve puzzles, face challenges, and survive.

“If frightened, don't be. There are dangers, but it's nothing the two of you together shouldn't be able to handle, besides which you should find plenty of surprises to make things a little easier on you.

“I'm sure you're both worried about your lives here in Ponyville, but time flows differently there. As long as you come back, you should only have been gone for an hour or so at the most, but there's only two ways to do that. The first is to solve the puzzles, complete the challenges, and destroy the world you're trapped in. With no world to contain you, you will be freed and you will return here. The second... Well, the love shared by you two is one of the core components of this world's makeup. If your love doesn't last, you'll return home.

“So, there you have it. I do hope you make it back. I was sure to keep from making it too dangerous, but it's not going to be easy. Let's see if your love and cooperation can get you home. I'm rooting for you.”

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“Fluttershy?” Applejack asked, oddly calm.

“Y-yes?” She trembled.

“Ah know he's your friend, but Ah'm gonna clock 'im. Right in the jaw, hard as Ah can, soon as we get back. He shoulda told us more 'fore he went ahead an' sent us here. 'Specially if he knew he'd be takin' your wings.” She waited for Fluttershy to object, but the pegasus could only nod.

Applejack went to the door, and as she shoved it open the salty breeze caught her off guard. She ran forward, eyes wide. The boat was half way up the beach of a beautiful island, covered with a lush, green forest. Fluttershy followed her out, and they took a moment to simply take in this prison that they'd been thrown into.

Fluttershy turned around to see nothing but sea along the horizon. Her eyes wandered across the vessel that had brought them here, something seeming oddly familiar that she just couldn't seem to put her hoof on, until she saw the sail. Her gasp got Applejack's attention, and the earth mare followed her gaze. Both of their cutie marks were on the sail.

“...Well, least it's familiar.” Applejack mumbled, before wandering around and finding another door, with Fluttershy chasing after her.

“W-what are you doing?”

“Well, Ah figger this ship's got plenty a' room...No reason it'd only have two ponies on it.” She opened the door and descended into the ship's hold. “Ah'm none too confident he'd send us with any supplies, but no harm in lookin', either.”

Luckily, Discord HAD given them some supplies, and when they finally finished tallying them up, they had quite a few barrels of fresh water, two sets of saddlebags, plenty of rope, and, aside from lumber, more than enough equipment for Applejack to raise a barn if the urge struck her. They had parchment, quills, a pair of compasses, a medical kit... Still, even with all Discord had given them, he'd put very little food on board, only giving them a few days worth of hay.

“Well, at least we've got enough food for a little while...” Fluttershy sighed. She wasn't looking forward to going out into that strange island.

“Water'll last us a couple weeks, even if we ain't especially careful with it. We could drag the barrels on up to the deck to help refill 'em when it rains...”

“Um...If...” Fluttershy corrected, dragging a hoof against the floor.

“Pardon?”

“W-well...Never mind. It probably won't matter.” She backed away, hiding in her mane.

“Fluttershy...” She moved toward her fillyfriend and put a hoof on her shoulder, giving her a comforting smile and staring into her eyes. “We're gonna be here by ourselves, with nopony else to help us. If you got concerns, Ah need you to tell me about 'em.”

“Oh gosh...You're right, Applejack, I'm sorry. I was saying...Well, we don't know if it rains here. At all. Or if there's even fresh water on the island...” She sighed and looked away.

“...Well, let's take a look.” AJ headed up the stairs to the deck, Fluttershy staying extra close the whole way up. “See any clouds?” She asked, gazing skyward, the pegasus joining her in her search.

“No, none...” She sighed. “It might just be a really clear day, though...” She offered, more for Applejack's benefit than her own. They stood there on the deck for an awkwardly silent moment. Applejack turned toward the island.

“No sense puttin' it off any more than we have to.” She lowered a boarding plank, then paused, looking around, her head leaning over the rail along the whole deck. Finally locating the Anchor, she dropped it onto the beach.

Fluttershy frowned, once she'd recovered from the noise it made. “I don't really think the ship even CAN go anywhere...Not when it's stuck on the sand like this...”

“Probably not, but Ah'm not especially eager to trust this place. Ah'll feel better knowin' the anchor's down.” Fluttershy found it hard to argue with that reasoning. After all, this was a place built by Discord, and the ship had all their supplies, and probably the only bed on the island. “This ship'll probably be our home for at least a while,” Applejack said, breaking her out of her thoughts. “We oughta make sure it stays where we can find it.”

“Find it...Oh!” Fluttershy dashed below the deck, and emerged with saddlebags on, and a compass hanging from her neck. Applejack gave her a questioning look, but Fluttershy just looked away, embarrassed.

“Uh...Whatcha got there?” She finally asked, a wan smile on her face.

“Um, well, I've got a compass, a quill, some ink, and a few pieces of parchment...And the medical kit, just in case...I thought we could maybe try to make a map of wherever we go today...”

“Good thinkin'! Fly on up, and draw whatcha see!” She said with a grin, though it soon faded. “Sorry, Ah forgot...” Fluttershy hung her head low, sighing sadly and looking at the empty space where her wings used to be. They finally got themselves off the ship, and onto the wet sand below.

They made their way up the shore to the edge of the forest, and stopped. “...Y'do know how to use a compass, right?” Applejack asked, a little nervous about taking those steps over the threshold. Fluttershy nodded, shaking a little.

“Orienteering is a required part of flight camp...” She explained.

“An' map making?”

“...Well, I thought...I thought it would be like you said. Draw what I see.” She jerked her head toward Applejack. “Is, is that wrong? Do you want to make the map?!” She reached into her saddlebag, bringing out quill and paper, holding it out to Applejack.

“As near as Ah can figure, you got the right idea. 'Sides, Ah can't draw to save my life.” They stood at the edge of the forest a while longer. “...Don't really look too easy to get in there.” She stole a glance at the pony beside her, frowning. The frown deepened when she realized she was caught red hoofed. Fluttershy stared at the ground with an intense focus, blushing furiously. When it was clear she wasn't going to say anything, there seemed little choice but to explain.

“Look, Ah wanna make sure it's clear, there's nothin' wrong with you. But the fact is, you ain't as hardy as Ah am. All this brush is gonna be a struggle for me to get through. So, maybe we should just wander a bit, see if there's an easier way in?”

Fluttershy nodded sadly, and made some marks on the map. As they walked along the edge of the forest, something began to wear on Applejack's nerves. When she couldn't take it anymore, she spoke up.

“Aheh...Surprised you're doin' so well with the quiet. Ah mean, big forest like this...There oughta be a heap of critters in there, but Ah ain't heard a peep.” Fluttershy blinked at her a few times.

“Oh, of course not! You know how some creatures eat others?” She asked, frowning a little and wishing all of her friends could get along.

“...You're not implyin' somethin' ATE everything in there, are are ya?” Applejack asked, eyes wide and face quickly losing it's color.

“No, no! The opposite!” She told her excitedly, but quickly pulled back her enthusiasm as she continued. “I mean, um...There's no plants to hide behind on the beach...If something little came out here, something big could snap it right up, so none of the prey would risk coming out to the beach. And if there's no prey coming out here, the predators won't come here either.”

“Oh, Ah get it. So the critters should start showin' up once we get a little ways in?” Applejack relaxed, smiling at her.

“I-if there are any here. We might be all alone...” Fluttershy shivered at the thought. The very idea of being so completely, utterly alone was almost unthinkable, and yet she couldn't stop thinking it. It wasn't much longer before she felt a tug on her tail. Whipping around in a panic she saw Applejack standing there, Fluttershy's tail in her mouth.

“Off in your own little world, huh?” Fluttershy blushed and nodded. “Ah understand, but we should probably try to keep our wits about us. Anyway, Ah was sayin' Ah think we might be able to squeeze through here.” She nodded toward the forest, having found a place where the undergrowth was far less dense, and the trees a little further apart. Fluttershy looked at her map, then looked behind them. She wasn't too sure of the distance, but she could still see the ship, if only just barely. She quickly began making some marks based on her estimations of how far they'd gone when she was thinking, and the two ponies moved past the tree line.

The silence pounded against them, the only sounds either could make out coming from the other. As they moved forward, they found that the opening widened out, and the ground became a cleared path beneath them. If their friends were there, they'd all be able to make it through shoulder to shoulder. This thought came to both of them, and the silence pounded against them even harder than before as the reality of their situation reasserted itself. They were alone. Completely, undeniably alone.

Fluttershy jumped as a twig snapped under her hoof. “Applejack...? I really don't like this...”

“Rubs me the wrong way too, but there's no two ways about it. We gotta make it through this if we ever wanna get back to Ponyville. 'Sides, at least we got each other here.” She did her best to give Fluttershy a reassuring smile, and was thankful to see that it seemed to work.

They walked for what felt like hours, but there was no way to tell how long it really was. Neither felt like they had any right to stand up to the silence around them, as if it were some powerful ruler over this place, and the ponies were intruders to its realm, and with no conversation, no frame of reference, no sound for either of them but their own hoofbeats and the other's breathing, time seemed to lose its meaning. Fluttershy kept trying to update her map, but she was no cartographer, and it became harder and harder to convince herself she was doing it right.

Without warning, and startling her companion a bit, Applejack spun around, before breathing a sigh of relief. Fluttershy stared, befuddled.

“Uh, Sorry...Ah just...Ah wanted to make sure we were actually movin'...Ah half expected the beach to be right behind us.” As she turned back around, something caught her eye, a small parting in the brush, and something behind it. She ran across the path and tried to muscle her way through, finding herself a little too thick. Fluttershy watched in fear and confusion as the earth pony began unexpectedly driving her head into the bushes, frighteningly calm in her inexplicable attempts to uproot them. A lesser pony may have lashed out at the scrub from the maddening oppressive silence. A lesser pony would never have managed to clear the bushes as easily, as fast, perhaps even at all. When Applejack finally finished and stepped to the side, Fluttershy thanked the sun and moon that she wasn't here with a lesser pony.

A clearing stretched before them. No, more than a clearing, a beautiful meadow, filled with flowers and small bushes covered in berries. In the center of the meadow rested a glimmering pond, its surface so still that they couldn't be sure it wasn't made of glass until Applejack took a drink, motioning for Fluttershy to come and join her. Near the pond stood a solitary peach tree, granting them shade as they drank. This place was a miracle. With this pond, even if they had to journey so far with emptied water barrels, they might be able to keep themselves fed and hydrated longer than they even needed to be here.

Once they finished drinking, Fluttershy removed her saddlebags and they began adjusting the load, moving all the equipment she'd brought to one side, and beginning to fill the other side with peaches, berries, and a few bundles of the edible flowers. It would be a little heavy for Fluttershy to carry, so she quickly finished up her notes on the map that she'd been making, rolled it up, and set it in the bag. It wouldn't be hard to find their way back. The whole walk through the woods, they'd been heading west, so the compass would lead them to the beach. As Applejack began to put on the saddlebags, they were finally freed of the silence.

A loud, bellowing hoot echoed through the meadow. They both turned toward the perceived source, but the echo made it hard to pin down. They scanned at the dense forest surrounding the meadow, not seeing anything.

“That...That sounded like an owl...” Fluttershy said, unnerving Applejack with just how terrified the prospect seemed to be making her. “Like a really big, really angry owl...”

“Well, we'll just have to talk some sense into it, if it's as angry as all that.” She felt nearly as terrified as Fluttershy did, but she had complete faith in her fillyfriend.

All thoughts of negotiation fled their minds to make way for shock and terror as trees were torn down at the edge of the meadow, the sound of the snapping trunks being burried under another massive hoot. What they saw there, neither of them could've expected. It had the head of the owl, and there was no lack of feathers, but this thing could never be an owl. It was larger than any breed she'd ever seen, but there was no mistaking it, not with the experience that Fluttershy had. That was the body of a bear.

No creature like this had ever been known to Equestria. If there was ever any doubt that this place was built by Discord, it was erased by this needless, terrifying amalgamation slowly lumbering toward them. Fluttershy swallowed down her fear, watching it closely. It was angry, and it seemed to be trying, or rather, succeeding, at intimidating them, but this...thing was made of two kinds of animals she knew well. If she was lucky and careful, she might be able to talk their way out of this.

“Um, hello!” She spoke, her voice wavering despite her attempts to sound calm. “I'm very sorry if this is your territory...We simply didn't know. If you'd like, we can give you everything we've gathered, and we'll be on our way. Alright?” She smiled, her lips and cheeks trembling. The strange beast stared at her for a moment, before standing up on its hind legs and pulling its arm high above his head, claws glinting in the light. She ducked, her forelegs over her head. The beast roared as he brought his mighty arm down, and roared again, now in pain, as his swing was thrown off by a powerful buck to his side. Applejack rushed in front of him and tackled Fluttershy, knocking her away.

“Stay back!” She shouted, not taking her eyes off of the monster. “If ya can't convince him we ain't a threat, maybe Ah can convince him we're too big of one to handle!” Fluttershy stared on in shock, frozen on the spot.

The creature prepared for another swing, and once again was interrupted, the earth pony charging forward, ramming her head into its gut, causing it to double over. Before she could get back to her hooves, as the creature fell to its back, it raked its claws against her side, roaring in pain from her strike. Fluttershy watched nervously, her mind racing. Applejack might be strong and clever enough to stop this thing with brute force, but she was bleeding, and they didn't have many medical supplies. If they kept running into these things, there would be nothing left to patch either of them up before long.

Fluttershy felt her worries about supplies melting away, making room for much bigger fears as, before she recovered from the creature's strike, it wrapped its powerful arms around Applejack, squeezing the breath right out of her. Fluttershy couldn't move. She couldn't act. She could barely even think, but as their eyes met, as she saw the panic in Applejack, the pony she loved desperately trying to inhale, somewhere, in the back of her head, she heard a voice. Are you going to let her die? and immediately, the answer came to her.

The monster roared out in pain, Applejack tumbled to the ground gasping for air, and Fluttershy turned and fled, trying to spit out bits of the monster's fur. Enraged, the creature pursued her, quickly gaining ground. The creature was far faster than Fluttershy, but luckily, it wasn't faster than Applejack.

Catching up, she jumped forward, landing on it's back. She pivoted on a front hoof, swinging her hind legs out, and slamming both her rear hooves into the base of its skull, a terrible cracking sound exploding through the meadow. It tumbled to the ground, and she rolled off of it, bleeding and giving long, ragged breaths. Fluttershy rushed to her side, and they stared at the monster, each tense and ready to act if it managed to get back up.

Fluttershy shrieked in terror and leaped behind Applejack as the creature turned black, began melting down into into a thick, viscous fluid and seeping into the ground. They stared, stunned for a moment, before the scent of blood brought Fluttershy back to her senses. She yelped, and Applejack looked around, ready to defend them.

“Don't move! Don't move!!!!” Fluttershy told her, rushing to the saddlebags and digging out the medicine bag. She rushed to her wounded love. She quickly unscrewed a bottle and poured disinfectant over the cuts, trying not to let the gasp of pain she heard keep her from her work, watching the blood in the fur get rinsed away as the liquid foamed, dislodging any dirt or debris. She silently noted how lucky they were that the cuts, though wide, were not very deep. “I need to make sure it doesn't get infected, I'm sorry! I know it hurts!”

“None of that.” Applejack replied, gritting her teeth as she saw a needle and thread come out of the bag. “Ah trust you. Y'know what you're doin'.” She looked away, staring at the trees, trying to keep her focus somewhere besides her wounds. She inhaled sharply through clenched teeth as the needle began moving through her skin.

“Just...just a moment. I'll be done very soon, I promise.” Fluttershy finished stitching the wound. “Alright...all done.” A piece of gauze and some tape, and Applejack was ready to move. Fluttershy pushed her head under the earth pony and helped her to her hooves. “Do you need help walking?”

“It's my side, not my legs...” She answered, rolling her eyes. “All the same, thanks...Ah don't know how Ah coulda made it through that without you chompin' into his hind.” Fluttershy turned bright red.

“...I...I don't even know what came over me...I just...I had to stop him...”

“And you did.” Applejack reassured her, putting a foreleg over her shoulders. “Now come on. Sun's startin' to set. We should get the gear together and head back to the ship.”

Fluttershy rushed forward, intending to carry the saddlebags herself, but tripped over something. Applejack moved carefully over to her and helped her up.

“What'd y'slip on?” She began checking the ground, finding a jar of green fluid. “...Ain't this where that thingy vanished?” She asked, looking around at the grass, before lifting the jar and examining it. “'Discord brand healing tonic...Apply sparingly by hoof for bruises and cuts, gently rubbing into affected area. Drink for internal bleeding and broken bones.'...Um...” Fluttershy snagged the jar from her, removed the bandages, and gently rubbed some of the liquid onto her scratches. The stitches fell free through some sort of magic and the wounds vanished before her eyes. She felt so stupid. If she had just checked the area first, she could've saved Applejack so much pain, and she could've saved the supplies as well.

“Ah know what you're thinkin'.” Applejack told her, snapping her out of her worries. “What's done is done. Ah still say you did good. Now let's pack it up and head back.” Fluttershy nodded, adding the jar to the medical kit, replacing the kit in the saddlebags, and putting them on herself. “Fluttershy, Ah'm all healed up. Ah can take the bags.”

“I...I'm sorry, Applejack, but you still lost blood,” She told her, looking away. “Please...” Applejack nodded after a moment. She didn't feel weaker, but this really didn't seem like it was worth arguing over. They began the trek back to the ship, Applejack keeping her tail under one of the bags to help with the weight. The trip that felt like it took hours before was only about twenty minutes on the way back.

“Seemed a lot longer on the way in, didn't it?” Applejack was answered by empty silence. She looked over to find the wingless pegasus taking strained breaths, apparently doing her best to keep from being audible. “You're sure Ah can't carry some of the load?”

“I...um...I...” Her steps sped up a little. She was determined to keep the burden to herself. Applejack sighed, slipped her tail under the harness, and moved the saddlebags to her own back. “Sorry...” Fluttershy whimpered.

“No call for apologizin'. Come on.” She led the march up onto the deck of the ship, and down into the hold. They unpacked the food they'd gathered and began eating, making the hay that was already on board the bulk of their meal.

After dinner, they rinsed the sweat from their fur with some of their water. Applejack really didn't mind the sweat, but it wasn't as if they didn't have a way to refill, even if it wasn't going to rain, and when she saw Fluttershy cleaning up, she decided it was the polite thing to do.

After being fed, cleaned, and dried, the ponies headed up to the deck and through the door of the cabin. Applejack entered the dark room first, the light from the moon and stars barely making it past the threshold. Both ponies moved slowly, Fluttershy taking the time to make sure the door was locked behind them. They edged forward, thankful that the room was so wide and empty, holding only the large bed.

Applejack closed her eyes, nestling in under the covers. She heard a quiet whimpering from the other side of the bed. “Fluttershy? What's wrong?” She rolled over to face her, even though she still couldn't see her in the darkness. The crying stopped, and silence followed. “...D'you mind if Ah talk about somethin' botherin' me?” The silence returned when she finished her question. “Here goes...” She took a breath to gather her thoughts. “You've been seemin' more nervous 'round me than you used to, ever since we got together. Ah figured Ah could just wait it out, but...Ah don't want you feelin' like y'can't talk to me. There's nopony else here, and sometimes stuff just has to come out. Ah'm worried about you.” More silence was the reply. She sighed and laid her head back down against the pillow. She had almost fallen asleep when Fluttershy finally spoke.

“I'm scared...” It was barely above a whisper. Applejack blinked a few times, not entirely sure if she'd actually heard anything at all. She heard it again, though, a bit clearer this time.

“Ah'm scared too. This ain't no place for two ponies to be tryin' to live.”

“No...I mean...I'm scared I'll say something wrong, or do something I'm not supposed to, and...when this...when we got together, I was so happy... I don't want to do something wrong and ruin it...” It was clear by her voice she was crying, and Applejack had to struggle to keep from reaching over to wipe tears away and risking punching Fluttershy if she misjudged the distance in the dark.

“Ah don't want it ruined either, but Ah don't think it will be. Not if you relax a little and enjoy it, at least. Ah'm not gonna turn my back on you for an honest mistake, Ah know that much... Ah like bein' with you, and Ah like spendin' time with you. Ah love you, Fluttershy. That ain't somethin' especially easy to change.”

She felt the bed shifting, the other pony moving closer. She felt the warmth of the other pony, and pulled her into a hug. In the dark of night, she heard her fillyfriend whisper, calm and content, “I love you too, Applejack.”

“....So what were y'cryin' over?”

“...I miss my wings...” Applejack hugged her a little tighter, and the two ponies fell asleep.

Author's Note:

So, toned down Applejack's accent, as was suggested. And with this chapter completed, I can reveal that Discord is not going to be in this very much. The reason for him on the character tags is more that, even without his presence, his influence is the main factor of this story. Or, at least, that's how the plan looks now. I don't know, I might have him pop in from time to time. Got some rough ideas of where to take this, but nothing's totally concrete, even after I publish it.