• Published 6th Aug 2013
  • 3,855 Views, 119 Comments

RariJack - The Compilation of Prompts - Titanium Dragon



A collection of short stories centered on Applejack and Rarity. Each story is based on a one-word prompt, and after the story is written, the writer leaves another one-word prompt for the next writer to use.

  • ...
22
 119
 3,855

PreviousChapters Next
36. Poker - by The Princess Rarity

Poker.


It was just a harmless trip - really, it was. Six friends, on a wild trip to Los Pegasus, Equestria's most scandalous city. Known for wild rides, forgettable nights and most of all, gambling. After all, it didn't get the nickname of Sin City for no reason.
However, what started out as a bit of fun turned too wild.

Then again, what could one expect in one of the wildest cities known nationwide?

The six of them had split up into three groups of two, and had vowed to meet at the hotel room at midnight. Twilight had gone off with Rainbow Dash to the slots, Pinkie and Fluttershy decided to stop by the bar and originally, Applejack and Rarity had planned for a bit of gambling in roulette and card games.

...but now, it seemed that they had broken apart.

All Applejack had done was leave the betting table for two minutes to go grab a beer instead one of those frilly watered down cocktails all of the waitresses carried around, and when she came back, her companion and marefriend was nowhere in sight.

Originally, she didn't start to worry. Rarity was a mare of class, she wouldn't go running off and doing stupid things.

So Applejack had started to kill time - she played, and won, a few rounds of blackjack, but then ended up losing her winnings on one of the obviously rigged slot games, and lazed around the club for a bit.

But it wasn't until she happened to notice the clock, then she started to feel concerned.

It was a quarter to midnight, and she still hadn't run into Rarity.

She had already swung by the hotel room to see if anyone was there, and all she had found was Twilight and Pinkie in an awkward position that would be burned into her mind forever, so there was that. And aside from coming across a few waitresses that bared resemblance to Rarity, Applejack continued to have no luck in finding her marefriend.

Now, she was starting to worry. After all, Applejack had seen the effects of alcohol on many ponies, and when the two of them were playing roulette, Rarity was downing those cocktails one after the next.

It didn't help that she was an extreme lightweight (- this fact found out after the Canterlot Wedding and a simple glass of champagne got her tipsy), so all the farmpony could do was hope and pray that she wouldn't find Rarity slumped over outside the casino vomiting or something embarrassing of that sort...

"Excuse me, ma'am, can I help you?" an attendee asked.

Applejack hesitated, only before replying, "Have you seen a mare 'round here? White unicorn, violet mane, blue eyes, an' she sorta sounds classy when she's speakin'?"

The worker paused for a minute, and pursed his lips, taking a minute to think.

"Yes, I do believe I saw a mare like that pass by," he said simply.

"Thank Heav'ns," Applejack sighed. "Could ya point me t' where ya last saw her?"

"Over by the poker table," he responded.

That wasn't far - in fact, it was only a few steps away. Applejack was surprised she didn't run into Rarity sooner.

Releasing a deep breath of satisfaction, she headed towards the tables, and scanned her gaze across the room, looking for the poker area. However, she didn't need to bother looking, when she heard a very familiar loud laugh from nearby.

There, at the far end table, was none other than Rarity, surrounded by a group of ponies staring at her in awe, as she was raking in all of the money and chips, playing as if she was one of the professionals who knew the sport like the back of their own hoof, even if earlier that night she had stated that she despised the game for reasons she didn't want to mention.

And to make matters worse, she even looked a bit intoxicated, trying not to sway back and forth in her seat.

Applejack practically darted over, shoving her way through the slight crowd that had formed around the table, muttering quick apologies as she soon found herself by her marefriend's side.

"Rares," she muttered. "Mind explanin' what yer doin'?"

"Oh, nothing," Rarity drawled, with a bit of a slurring in her voice as she waved her hoof. "Just having a bit of fun, is all." She flipped through her cards, and brought a cigarette to her lips, taking a long drag of it as a waitress walked over with a martini.

With a raised eyebrow, Applejack looked to her marefriend in concern. "Ah thought ya quit smokin'," she hissed.

Rarity chuckled, letting the smoke fly around, and she accepted the drink. "It's only one," she said breezily.

"Uh-huh, sure it is," the farmer deadpanned, as she took the dressmaker's hoof. "C'mon, take yer winnings an' get up. We gotta get back to th' hotel room."

"For what exactly?" Rarity said, with an offbeat chuckle and an attempt at a seductive gaze.

Rolling her eyes at the comment, Applejack lifted her marefriend out of her seat, causing the fashionista to drop the magical aura around her cigarette and drink, causing them to fall onto the table as she stood up abruptly.

Letting out an childish whine, Rarity almost fell over due to her drunken stupor as she followed Applejack through the casino.
"You never let me have any fun," she accused.

Applejack shook her head, and slightly smirked, as she now hoisted her marefriend onto her back, trying not to drop her. "Trust me, yer gonna thank me later," she declared.


Next prompt: Parents.

PreviousChapters Next