• Published 27th Jul 2013
  • 1,189 Views, 48 Comments

A Dash of Shyness - TM2 Dinobot



A look back at Rainbow Dash's first meeting with Fluttershy in their school days, and their adventures together.

  • ...
0
 48
 1,189

Chapter XXI

Chapter XXI

For the second time in two days Dash awoke mid morning. The house was quiet and the fire was now nothing more than ashes. Fluttershy lay beside her, a nice little dribble of drool running down her cheek as she sprawled out across the floor. Dash gave her a gentle nudge in the side, eliciting only a moan.

Feeling refreshed and alert, Dash noticed the plate sitting on the table. Four apple fritters rested under a terrycloth napkin, smelling warm and inviting. Dash's stomach growled in response.

"Fluttershy, wake up." Rainbow Dash whined. She was hungry but refused to eat without her friend.

Fluttershy stirred, smacking her lips as she stretched long, pawing at the ground. Finally she rolled her head towards Dash, giving her an empty, happy smile, pink tresses spilling at unnatural angles.

"Oh. Good morning, Rainbow Dash."

"There's breakfast." Dash smiled, her impatience momentarily forgotten.

"It smells wonderful." Flicking her hair out of the way, Fluttershy sat opposite at the table.

Without too much discussion the two Pegasi tore into their food, trying to be polite but acting like a pair of starving litter girls. They'd had sleep, now they needed food. Fortunately Granny Smith delivered in spades. The fritters were easily the biggest pastries either of them had even seen. Thick and heavy, they were filled to the choking point with lush apple goodness. Even still, it only took a few minutes for the first pair to disappear. The fillies were polishing off the second set when Applejack walked through the door.

"Oh, Good. Y'all are up. Granny was jus' wonde-- Did y'all eat all them apple fritters yourselves?"

"Um, yeah? Why?" Rainbow Dash chirped, perhaps a bit ruder than she should have, as she felt the need to protect the now-hiding Fluttershy.

"Hold your horses, pipsqueak. I'm jus' surprised, that's all. Granny makes them so big that Little Mac can barely eat one. Me and Applebloom always gotta split ours."

"I guess we're just hungry then, aren't we?" Dash felt her tail bristle a bit.

"Okay, just simmer down now. Granny jus' sent me to check up on y'all. That's all." AJ wiped her brow.

"What are y'all-- I mean, you, doing out there?"

Dash noticed Applejack for the first time. Lean and strong, built kind of like Fluttershy, she just wasn't as big. Her muscles, though still young, were becoming defined under her coat. A little older than Dash, she was already a work horse. Not necessarily for the better.

She walked with a limp in her left hind foot, a sprain that hadn't quite healed yet. Her pelt was caked with dust and sweat, turning it into mud. Refusing to wear sissy a bonnet like her little sister, the sun gave her a delicious daily dose of sun stress.

There was laugher in there somewhere, buried deep, happier times hiding under an avalanche of pain. All that emotional turmoil simmered, slowing boiling under the persona of an honest, hard working farm girl. She'd been raised well, not to dwell on her problems but fix them. Dash didn't know what her problem was, but she wasn't fixing it very well.

"Oh, we're jus' out in the back field, tryin' to get in a few of the new saplings before the seasons over."

"What's a 'sapling'?" Asked dash.

"A saplin' is a baby tree." AJ cocked her head. "You really don't know nothin', do you?"

"I know more than you!" Dash tried to spread her wings, to make herself look bigger on her seat. Instead she only ground her teeth as her wing refused to cooperate.

"Oh yeah?"

"Yeah!"

"Um, girls?" two sets of eyes turned to Fluttershy, trying her bravest not to cower. "Um, Applejack, if you don't mind, that is, um, we, Dashie-- I mean Rainbow Dash and I, well, we could really use some place to, maybe, um, freshen up?"

AJ Just stared at the pink pony for a moment. Their coats were almost the same color, but their personalities could not have been more diametrically opposed. While Dash realized what she was asking, Applejack was still trying to figure out what she'd said.

"Well I ain't never heard so many words used to get to the point before, and I've been to the Apple Family Reunion."

"She's asking for the stall." Dash interceded, still standing on her stool.

"Oh for land sake, sugar cube. Why didn't you jus' say so? Straight up the stairs, second door on yer left." AJ turned back outside, a scowl on her lips. "Don't worry about fresh supplies, we ain't got any. Just use what's up there; me and Applebloom gotta share anyways. Share and share alike, Granny says."

With that she was gone, leaving the two Pegasi alone once more. With nothing else to do Fluttershy made for the stairs. Rainbow Dash could only follow.

The bathing room was right where AJ had directed them. It was a bit on the small side compared to Pegasi stalls. Dash was feeling a bit claustrophobic; she didn't know how Fluttershy could handle it. She managed though. Dash pulled the door to and they both got a good look at themselves in the full view mirror.

"We're a mess." Dash pointed out.

Matted hair, crumpled coats and split hooves were just a few of their problems. They'd both picked up their fair share of scratches and burns in the Everfree Forest, not to mention the parasites like ticks and chiggers. Spending most of the day at the bottom of an abandoned well hadn't helped either. Spider webs and dust, grass and bits of debris clung to their legs and bellies.

They were indeed a mess. Dash just wanted to brush her mane and be done with it, but Fluttershy pointed out there was no way they were going to clean up without a bath. Not something Dash was looking forward to, all things being equal.

The tub wasn't much better than the well in Dash's view. As Fluttershy drew the hot, soapy water, Dash could only stare. She never liked baths to begin with, but now all she could think about were the hours spent struggling for her life.

"Nope."

"Come on, Dashie." Fluttershy pulled her toward the tub, scrub brush in hoof.

"No, forget it. I'll take my chances smelling like dried dragon spit." She backed away.

"Don't make me force you into the tub." Fluttershy threatened. At least, Dash thought she threatened.

"Oh, right. What are you going to do, stare at me?"

"Maybe." Fluttershy tried to smile. Dash relaxed just a bit.

That was when Fluttershy pounced. Overwhelming her faster friend with nothing more than her lankier frame, Fluttershy wrestled Dash to the ground, sitting on her. Dash couldn't believe it; she'd been bushwhacked! How could Fluttershy do that? Every pony knew Dash was the stronger of the two; the faster. How could she be pinned so easily?

Then Dash noticed the give in her legs and wings. Fluttershy had her, sure, but it wasn't a very good hold. Fluttershy wasn't trying to hurt her, she was just playing.

"Oh yeah? Let's see how you like this!" Dash grinned.

Bucking her friend off, Fluttershy squealed, landing in the bathtub with a plop. Approaching slowly, like a stalking panther, Dash flicked her tail, waiting for Fluttershy to appear. And waited. And waited. Was Fluttershy okay? Had she hit her head on the tub? What if she drowned? Did Rainbow Dash just kill her best friend? Springing to her feet, game forgotten, Dash searched the mass of bubbles.

"Fluttershy?" she asked pensively.

"Gotcha!"

Fluttershy burst from the water, grabbing her friend's neck in a hug and pulled her in. Dash barely had time to scream before Fluttershy was scrubbing her down good, working the soap into her fur and mane. Already soaked through and through, Dash had no choice but to sit and whine quietly as Fluttershy hummed to herself, cleaning the dirty little Dashie.

When Fluttershy finally let her go Dash pulled away, letting her friend tend her own coat. Dash stared at her hooves, mildly embarrassed at being in a bath tub with Fluttershy, but more so at having been cleaned like a foal. She wasn't three, she could do it herself. Then she noticed the brighter sheen to her fur, and the darker consistency of the water. Regardless of how she'd gotten clean, Rainbow Dash felt better. She used her teeth to work at some of the more tenacious parasites on her forelegs while Fluttershy finished up.

The yellow pony couldn't have been happier. She felt more well rested, safe and clean than she'd felt in days. Dash might not have shown it, but Fluttershy was feeling quite playful and knew her friend appreciated being clean as well.

Things were looking up. She still dreamed about Apollyon and her mother, those nightmares would be with her always, but she felt that perhaps now she could move on. Maybe with Dash's friendship flowing through her like magic she'd have the power to face anything. Optimism bloomed in her heart, not giving doubt and horror any room to grow. All they had to do was find a way home and everything would be fine.

When Fluttershy pulled the drain plug, which was all the signal Dash needed. She leapt clear, landing rear-legs first. She hated water, and she hated being wet. Fluttershy sure took her sweet time, daintily stepping out one leg at a time, still humming to herself.

Like AJ said, there were spare supplies. They had extra towels though, Dash was thankful for that. Her feathers hung droopily, soggy and unable to support flight. She needed them dry. Whipping her hair back and forth, she shook like a dog, trying to dry off before going to work on her wings with the towel. Fluttershy was content to wrap herself in the fluffiest towel she could, wrapping it warm and tight while putting her mane up in a second one. She looked at herself in the mirror.

"Um, do you think they'll mind if I brush my teeth?"

"I don't think so." Dash was trying to run the towel between her individual feathers. She wasn't doing a very good job of it. "But I don't think they have spares."

The pair looked to the sink. There was a glass of water, something called 'denture cream', and three tooth brushes; large, medium and small. It didn't take a lot of skill to figure out which belonged to whom.

"Have-- have you ever used a boy's tooth brush before?" Fluttershy stared.

"I've never used any pony else's brush beside my own before." admitted Dash. "I'm still trying to get my head around that part; I don't think I want boy cooties in my mouth just yet."

"Me neither." Fluttershy picked up what was most likely Applejack's brush. Applebloom's was just too small. "I hope she doesn't mind us both using her brush."

"It's not like there's anything else we can do." shrugged Dash, going back to drying her wings.

After Fluttershy it was Dash's turn to brush her teeth. She tried not to think about the fact that both her best friend and a total stranger had had it in their mouths before her.

While Dash cleaned up Fluttershy took a well-used grooming brush to her coat. It was coarse and hard, missing several bristles. She didn't care for it much. Pulling her towel down, she started to run it across her back and mane when Dash let out a sharp intake.

"What's wrong?" Fluttershy noticed the gloss below her friend's eyes.

"Nothing. I'm fine." Dash still worked with the towel. She gasped again.

"Dashie..." Fluttershy nudged her.

"It... it's my wing. It hurts. Bad." Dash turned back. "What if I hurt it forever? What if I can never fly again, Fluttershy?"

Fluttershy leaned out, licking Dash's cheek. Dash wiped at it furiously. "Eww, gross! I just cleaned that!"

Fluttershy giggled. "Did you forget about your wings?"

"...Yes." admitted Dash.

"See? It worked. Now, as for your wing..." Fluttershy rummaged through the drawers, trying to find what she was looking for. Finally she pulled out a roll of gauze. "I think I can help, just like with Snowball."

"I don't know if that's such a good idea."

"Don't you trust me?" Fluttershy cocked her head, smiling eyes lighting up the whole room. Of course Dash trusted her. How could she not?

"Stupid bird." Dash extended her wing as far as she could get it, shutting her eyes tight with a cringe. "Just be careful."

"Of course. I'll be gentle."

Fluttershy was good to her word. With soothing sounds and the skilled hooves she'd learned from the library's animal husbandry books, Fluttershy patched her friend up. She wrapped the gauze tight enough to add pressure and encourage healing, but not so tight to cut off circulation to a vital limb. Securing it in place, she stepped back, admiring her work. Dash's bandaged wing wouldn't be causing her any more problems.

"Wow, Fluttershy, that feels great!" Dash looked sidelong in the mirror.

"Thank you." She grinned. "Don't worry about your wing, Rainbow Dash. Just take it easy and you'll fly again real soon. Though not with feathers like that."

"What's wrong with my feathers?" Dash extended her good wing.

"You look like goose down." Fluttershy giggled.

"I can't help it!"

"Well, um, you need to preen them. And I don't think the Apples have a preening brush."

"Yeah." Dash sighed. "Man, I hate preening."

"Is there anything you don't hate?"

"Good food. Flying really fast." Dash thought for a moment. "You."

"Aww." Fluttershy blushed.

"Seriously, Shy. I couldn't have done this without you. All of this. I know I complain a lot but, well, you're my best friend and I love you."

"I feel the same way, Dashie." Fluttershy smiled. "Want me to do your wings for you?"

"FFffiinnneee." Dash neighed, just wanting it over and done with.

Preening didn't hurt so mush as it involved tugging on sensitive little feathers, hot, moist breath in places that weren't used to it and sitting forever as each feather was lined up in place, hooking in with its neighbors. It almost made Dash wish she had a book to read. Almost. She wouldn't have been able to concentrate anyways, not with all the sharp little pangs. Finally Fluttershy stepped back, admiring her work once more.

"There you go. Um, I hope you like it."

Dash gave her wing a flap and almost flipped over. She hadn't felt that good in a while. "That's great, Fluttershy! Thanks! If I had my other wing I think I could get us all the way back to Cloudsdale on my own."

"Oh, sorry."

"Don't worry about it, you did a great job." Dash looked away for a minute. "You, um, you want me to do yours?"

"Okay, sure." Fluttershy replied quietly.

Fluttershy lay down, extending her wings. Her feathers were a mess as well. Some were broken or missing entirely. But mostly they just needed a good once-over and they'd be fine. Dash knew what she was doing, in theory. She's preened her own wings enough, and even her mother's once or twice, that she thought she could handle it. But doing it with Fluttershy felt kind of strange.

Before Dash got too far along Fluttershy started making tiny moans. Dash didn't think she was hurting her but she lightened her touch anyways. Fluttershy didn't stop though. Instead her face flushed while she bit her lip.

"Um, Fluttershy? You okay?"

"Yes. I, um, it just feels good."

"Oh. It hurts when my wings get preened. Does it feel good when you're older?"

"Maybe." Fluttershy didn't know any more than Dash did.

"Want me to stop?"

"No, that's okay. We don't have any other option. You can finish, if you don't mind." Dash was about half way through with the right wing.

"Okay."

Dash wasn't sure what to make of the moaning and didn't really want to bring it up. Fluttershy was clearly trying to stop, and didn't like the way her body made her feel. It was like catnip. Dash didn't know what else to do other than work faster. She couldn't let Fluttershy wander around with fluffy wings some foal. Maybe Fluttershy could maybe do it herself, but Dash doubted her friend would be able to move by the time she was done. Moving to the left wing, Dash was starting to make headway when she misjudged and bit down on the wing stem.

"Oh! Alright, that's just about enough of that, I think." Fluttershy's face flushed red.

"You sure?"

"Y-yeah. Don't... Just don't nibble my wings."

"I didn't mean to." Dash remembered what her mother had said. "Sorry."

"I know." Fluttershy wasn't tucking her wings back in.

"Can you put those away?" Dash backed away to the other side of the tub.

"Sorry. I'm trying."

"Well they're freaking me out over here, Fluttershy. You're acting way too weird!"

"I'm sorry! I can't help it." Fluttershy looked like she was about to cry from embarrassment. She certainly wanted to.

"They popped again, didn't they? Just like with Ash?"

"Yes." Fluttershy was already mortified. That memory didn't help.

"Just tuck them under. Like this." Dash demonstrated with her good wing.

"I can't." sobbed Fluttershy.

There they sat, both trying to figure out what to do. What a strange world this was, where they could fight satanic dragons all day long but simple bodily functions confounded them. Not for the first time Dash wished Firefly was here, but now she missed her more than ever. Her mother always knew what to do. If only Dash could be more like her mother.

Finally Dash made a decision. Standing, she trotted up to Fluttershy. The poor girl was studying the wood grain in the floor, avoiding eye contact. Dash didn't give her a choice, leaning out and licking Fluttershy's cheek. She pulled back like she'd been bitten, shock slowly fading away.

"What was that for?" Fluttershy studied her friend's face, rose color flowing through her cheeks.

"Did you forget about your wings?"

"...Yes."

"Then it worked." Dash grinned. "The way I see it, we can either sit here in the stall all day, trying to figure out what we don't know, or we can go outside and explore. The Apples don't know us; they aren't going to stare at your wings. And even if they do, they took us in; I doubt they'd make fun of you."

"Are you sure?" Fluttershy was inclined just to stay in the bathroom all day, if she had her druthers.

"Sure I'm sure. Besides, don't you want to go see what an apple farm looks like?"

"I guess..."

"Fine then." Dash helped her taller friend to her feet. "Let's go."

Author's Note:

OOC:

No shipping! NO SHIPPING! I had to stop myself several times. Kind of like that scene in Apollo 13 where he writes a little note. "No." I don't have another against RDxFS pairings, but this is not the time nor the story. They're too young, it doesn't lead to anywhere and it's imposing the story on characters, instead of allowing the characters to lead the story. I had to re-write this three times and Dashie is still scowling at me.

Also, allow my to point out that I don't see wings as orgasmic, but rather as another set of limbs that are never used for much other than flying. Obviously they can be (we've seen push ups) but At this stage I think they're just a bit tender. Think of them like Toph's feet from Avatar TLA. Toph does NOT like having her feet touched. I think of wings, wings going through puberty especially, in the same way. That combined with growing pains, nervous visual cues and all around discomfort lead to some very sensitive appendages. Give them a few years to toughen up. Anyways, this is as 'adult' as this will get. You probably won't see much of anything about wings the rest of the story, just cause its not going to go anywhere.

But OMG they are so cute together!