• Published 23rd Jul 2013
  • 527 Views, 8 Comments

A Bolt for Freedom - AeroDynamics



as three college students begin to turn into ponies, they find out thhat others are struck with the same condition. but when the other "afflicted" are captured by the government, they have to decide whether to save them, or themselves.

  • ...
4
 8
 527

A Normal Birthday... As If

“Lane, please come up to the board and solve the equation”

Physics. While it may not be my favorite class or activity, I do enjoy it. I stood up from my seat and walked up to the board in the front of the class. It’s a simple problem, at least to me. I never really had any issues with math in my school career, and college math is no different. I solved the problem and walked back to my seat, and shared a smile with my friend Joshua.

“You make it look so easy” he whispered to me, but his eyes were still to the front of the classroom, where the teacher sat.

Me and Josh, and his twin Jacob, for that matter, have been friends since grade school. When we met each other, we all felt as though we had found a long lost friend. We stuck together, always, going to the same school, even unto college. Only josh is with me right now though, Jacob wasn’t interested in math like we are. Right now he’s is his advanced visual effects class. His plan is to be one of those guys that does all the cool explosions and stuff for the movies. Josh and I don’t really have a plan for what we’re gonna do.

“I make everything look easy” I said, a grin forming on my face.

“Pffft, as if. You remember that time you tried to show Jacob up with magic tricks?” he quipped.

I winced at the memory. “Y-yeah…but I also remember you setting your hands on fire, twice.”

“Okay class, due to the birthday of two of our students, class will be let out early. Have a great day everyone, and happy birthday Lane, Joshua. Don’t waste the time I’m giving you, got it?”

We both waved to him on our way out. “Got it Mr. Manly. You have a great day to.”

We made our way over to the building that Jacob was in to get him from class. The door was open, and we walked in just in time to see Jacob present his project. He’s been going on about it for a couple months, and been tweaking it to perfection since about a week ago.

He turned on the music, a song by the name of alligator sky, and ran to the back of the room to a black box sitting on a pedestal. He turned it on, and immediately the room was filled with the most spectacular laser show ever seen. The light pulsed on the beat and moved, almost as if to tell a story, as the song continued. At every chorus, a blue set of lights joined in and bounced across the ceiling. Red lights, displayed an effect of explosions, and green floated lazily around the room. In the center of it all was the outline of a rocket, flying around the room.

The lights died down and Jacob stepped forward to get his disc from the computer at the front of the room. Behind him, all the students clapped loudly. The teacher got out of his chair and walked to the front of the classroom and pulled up a PowerPoint that had the name of every student followed by the number 0.

“Okay class, take out your clickers and place your vote” He said. The numbers beside the names of some of the students started to change. Jacob’s number grew to 30, which was almost every student in the class, with 3 or 4 other students’ numbers rising to one. Jacob, back at his seat, started laughing.

“Well that’s pretty obvious” he said in between breaths. He stood up and walked to the front of the class, where Mr. Deaver handed him a blue ribbon and some gift card. Mr. Deaver excused the class and Jacob came over to us.

“Hey guys… you ready to party?” Jacob asked.

“Yeah, and gratz to you Jeb, that was an awesome show!” I said as we headed out the door towards the parking lot. “I’ll drive” I said, walking over to my little car. And old Mazda, but it’s lasted, so I’m very happy with it.

SHOTGUN” Jacob yelled as he to the passenger’s seat. A small awwww of disappointment could be heard from Josh in the back seat.

“To the club!” I hollered, pulling out of the parking spot and racing, within the limit of course, off the school campus.
The drive toke about half an hour, but we made it. I pulled up in the parking garage, paid the fee, and parked. We got out of the car and made our way over to the nearby super-brightly-lit club and walked in. the interior of the building was just as bright as the outside, if not more so. A large crowd of people were on the dance floor, but very few of them had even meager dance skills. The tables were filled with small groups of people, and the bar was empty.

“No way, the bar’s empty!” Josh yelled, and dashed over to said bar.

“You wanna go after him Jeb? Or should I?” I asked.

“Nah, you go after ‘im. I wanna go say hi to my friend. I’ll meet you at the bar” he responded

He walked off through the mass of moving bodies, disappearing from sight a moment later. I made my way over to the now occupied bar and sat down beside Josh. He had a drink in his hand and was talking to the bartender.

“Hey Josh, how’s the b—“
________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Okay, first thing to note… I can’t see anything. I stared out into the empty blackness and hoped to be pulled back out. However, several sounds made it to my ears, but only one of them I could actually understand, and strangely enough, it sounded very familiar.

“Hey Neon! We came to see how the display for our next show is going”

“****************************************************************************************”

“###########################################################################”

“Okay, we’ll make sure to come pick it up la—“

CRASH

“#######!”

“What’re you doing- no stop! PUT ME DOWN!”

THWACK

“~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~”

“You won’t get away with this Discord! Rainbow Dash and her friends will stop you!”

“~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~”

“NO!!!”

“******************”

“#######################”

“~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~”

“~~~ ~~~~ ~~~~~! ~~~~~~~ ~~ ~~~~!
~~~~ ~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~, ~~~~ ~~~~
~~~~~~~~!

~~~ ~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~ ~~~ ~~~~ ~~~,
~~~~ ~~~ ~~ ~ ~~~~ ~~~ ~~~ ~~~~!

~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~ ~~~~ ~~~~~ ~~~ ~~ ~~~~,
~~~~~~ ~~ ~~~~ ~~~~~, ~ ~~~ ~~~~ ~~~~~~ ~~~~!

~~~ ~~ ~~~~ ~~~~ ~~~~~~ ~~~~,
~~~~~~~~ ~~ ~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~!

“LANE!” Josh said, right before slapping me in the face.

“What the hell was that for?!” I yelled.

“You started to say hi when you randomly fell off the back of the stool and landed flat on the floor.” He had a concerned look on his face. “I thought it was a joke, but when you didn’t move for like, five minutes, I started to get worried… I tried, but I couldn’t wake you up.”

I processed what he said and looked around, and judging by the pressure on the back of my head, I am indeed on the floor. I quickly sat up in place and shook my head. “Hey Josh, did you hear those voices?”

“Lane, we’re in a very popular club, there are lots of voices coming from every direction.” He criticized. He offered me his hand, and I grabbed it, getting back up onto my feet with little effort. The music stopped, and in its place came the voice of the DJ.

“Here’s a shout out to my three friends in the club tonight. Happy birthday Joshua, Jacob, and Lane. Now everyone, I have to go celebrate with them, so enjoy this track and I’ll be back to drop the bass!” said a voice I was all too familiar with. The crowd had its shares of boos and yays, but soon went back to dancing.

The DJ made her way over to the bar with Jacob in tow, and quickly took a seat. Jacob did too, but he was soon swept up in the congratulations from the people around us, as well as Josh and I. “I know I already said it, but happy birthday guys! Joey, get these guys a round of whatever they want, it’s on me!” she said.

“Hey Lizzie, thanks for the drinks. How are ya?” I asked. The bartender, apparently named Joey, asked around for our drinks, with Josh and Jacob getting a whiskey on the rocks, and myself a Peña Colada.

“Really Lane? A Peña Colada? You know that’s a girly drink right?” Jacob said, downing his drink quickly. Josh did the same.

“I’m good Lane. I love my job, you know that… how’re you? Lizzie asked, prodding me with a finger. Before I could answer though, Josh butted in.

“He passed out like ten minutes ago, and I couldn’t get him up for 5 minutes” He said, eyeing my drink with disappointment. “Seriously Lane, Man up and get a real drink for once.”

“You PASSED OUT?!? Dude, what happened? Are you okay?” Lizzie questioned.

“I’m fine… at least, I am now.” I answered. Josh, however, looked me in the eye, trying to pry the truth out of me. It didn’t work though, as both he and Jacob collapsed on the floor. Lizzie quickly went into the back room and came back with a breathalyzer. Even though they were both out cold, she was still able to find out their blood alcohol content.

“This is so weird, they’re not even buzzed. What could’ve made them pass out?” she said, looking at me.

“I don’t know… they didn’t do anything today. I am such a bad friend” I said as I pulled out my phone. I snapped a couple of pictures of them passed out on the floor. “Hehehe, perfect…”

“This is NOT the time to be taking pictures. Help me try to get them back up.” She ordered. I leaned over Josh to find that he had started to sweat a great deal. Not wanting to get covered in it, I leaned over beside his head and did the next best thing.

“GET YOUR ASS OFF THE GROUND JOSH!” I screeched. His eyes immediately flipped open and he stood up way too fast for a guy that just passed out, and saluted.

“YES MA'AM!” he replied, and in turn, received a punch from me that once again knocked him out cold.

“I’M A GUY YOU ASSHAT!” I yelled. Josh hit the floor again, and I sat down on the stool at the bar and looked at Jacob. He woke up, and looked around, then fixated his eyes on me.

“Maybe we should go… this isn’t the best place to be if we’re gonna pass out.” I nodded. “Why is Josh on the floor?” he asked, pointing to him.

“He woke up, then stood up and saluted, then called me a woman.” I crossed my arms “So I gave him the punch he deserved.”

“Fair enough.” He got to his feet “Help me carry him out to the car, we’re going home.” I’m not happy about it, but I get out of the seat and grab Josh’s left arm, and Jacob his right, and we carry his limp body back out to my car. Once he’s inside, Jacob and I wave to Lizzie, who’s standing in the door to the club. We get in the car and I drive us back to our apartment complex.

Which is kinda creepy at night. I pull up into a parking space and we get out. Josh woke back up about halfway through the trip, and once being told why he was unconscious in the car, he quickly apologized for calling me ma'am. The building was equipped with an old set of lights and long hallways. This resulted in one of the lights in the hallways always flickering on and off as you walk through. Basically, it’s not the place you want to call home after you’ve just seen a horror movie.

We walked over to the courtyard and said our last happy birthday’s and goodnight’s, then made our ways to our rooms. I pulled out my key and unlocked my door, walked in, and set the key in a key holder I have by my door. I flipped on the light and made my way into the kitchen. We were at the club for so long that I didn’t even get to eat! Opening several cabinets I pulled out some peanut butter, honey, and bread. I made the sandwich then placed the ingredients back in their respective places. I took the oh so amazing sandwich out to the small living room and sat on the couch to eat. I finished the sandwich and left my plate on the counter and meandered over to the bathroom.

I turned the shower on and took off my clothes. My apartment was a decent way away from the nearest water heater, so I made use of my time and did a quick shave of my not-so-glorious beard. I don’t know why, but having one just never looked right on me, and whenever I did have one, it always creeped people out. Last time, Jacob made it plainly obvious and came to my door with a brand new electric razor. I took the hint and have been shaving ever since.

I tested the water and judged it to be warm enough for my liking, so I stepped in, and immediately shoved the showerhead away. The water was WAY too hot and I quickly turned it down, then once it was the appropriate temperature, I moved it back to the center and went about my business as usual. First, the shampoo… check. Next, the conditioner… check. Then I grabbed the soap from the little holder and started to wash from my torso down. I abruptly stop as I reached my thigh, noticing that there’s some discoloration.

“The hell” I say to nobody in particular.

I move around to get a better look at the strange mark on my leg. It becomes visible… a lightning bolt with three stars.

“THE HELL!?!?!” I practically shouted. I fall on the floor of the shower, not wanting to believe what I see. “I never got a tattoo, why the hell is this here?!” I say, then notice that the mark on my other leg as well “Why do I have Lightning Dust’s cutie mark?” I find comfort in the fact that I know the symbol, but it’s still disturbing that it’s there. Ponies have been my passion since generation four released, but I would never go so far as to get an actual tattoo for it. I reach for the soap that I dropped and rub the marks, hoping that it’s a joke Josh played on me while I was passed out at the club. However, no matter how hard, fast, or deeply I scrub; the cutie mark refuses to leave. “Well, I’m either drunk, or this is a really good prank.” I’ve always been a bit of a lightweight when it comes to drinks so it wouldn’t surprise me if I am. I finish up my shower, putting the cutie mark out of my mind as I towel off, brush my teeth, and hop into bed. It takes a little while, but I’m soon asleep.
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Once again I can’t see anything. The black expanse did get a little bit lighter though. That voice I heard the first time comes back and I really can’t help but think of where I know that voice from… it just sounds so familiar. This time, however, it is accompanied by another voice, that also sounds very familiar, but a little bit less-so.

“Hey Neon! We came to see how the display for our next show is going”
“Hey LD, nice to see you. The show is gonna be AWSOME. I made sure that the lights are timed precisely to the music and everything. It’s not done yet, but don’t worry, I’ll have it done before you guys go on.”
“#######################################################################################”
“Okay, we’ll make sure to come pick it up la—“
CRASH
“#######!”
“What’re you doing- no stop! PUT ME DOWN!”
THWACK
“~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~”
“You won’t get away with this Discord! Rainbow Dash and her friends will stop you!”
“~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~”
“NO!!!”

“Let her go! You’ve already gotten the element. We’re of no use to you.”

“#######################”

“~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~”

“~~~ ~~~~ ~~~~~! ~~~~~~~ ~~ ~~~~!
~~~~ ~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~, ~~~~ ~~~~
~~~~~~~~!

~~~ ~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~ ~~~ ~~~~ ~~~,
~~~~ ~~~ ~~ ~ ~~~~ ~~~ ~~~ ~~~~!

~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~ ~~~~ ~~~~~ ~~~ ~~ ~~~~,
~~~~~~ ~~ ~~~~ ~~~~~, ~ ~~~ ~~~~ ~~~~~~ ~~~~!

~~~ ~~ ~~~~ ~~~~ ~~~~~~ ~~~~,
~~~~~~~~ ~~ ~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~!

--------------------------------------
Hey guys! glad to finally get this story out. Wait a minute... Lane!? What are you doing here?
Making sure that you don't have me do anything stupid.
Why would I do that? Your my main character, I couldn't kill you if I tried!
Fine I guess...
Don't worry, your not even in danger's wake...yet

Author's Note:

make sure to leave some feedback! Also, if you gave me a thumbs down, please at least tell me WHY, so that I can improve the story. Thanks for reading!