• Published 16th Jul 2013
  • 1,190 Views, 52 Comments

The Maretrix OC - Violet Runner



Robert Anderson gets more than what he bagand for in his persuit to find the answer to the question; What is The Maretix?

  • ...
14
 52
 1,190

Chapter 5

Violet woke up in his room. He looked over and saw Crescent Sliver sitting beside him.

"I can't go back, can I?" Violet said, sitting up slowly and looking at him.

"No. But if you could, would you really want to?" Crescent asked.

Violet wasn't sure, so he decided not to say anything.

"I feel I owe you an apology." He continued. "We have a rule...we never free a mind once it reaches a certain age. It's dangerous, and the mind has trouble letting go. I've seen it before, and I'm sorry. I did what I did, because...I had to." Intrigued, Violet nodded for him to keep going, listening intently. “When the Maretrix was first built, there was a man born inside who had the ability to change whatever he wanted, to remake the Maretrix as he saw fit. It was he who freed the first of us, taught us the truth: 'As long as the Maretrix exists, the Equestrian races will never be free.' After he died, the Oracle prophesied his return and that his coming would hail the destruction of the Maretrix, end the war, and bring freedom to the ponies of Equestria. That's why there are those of us who have spent our entire lives searching the Maretrix, looking for him. I did what I did because... I believe that search is over." Crescent said standing up. "Get some rest… you're going to need it."

"For what?" Violet asked.

"Your training." He said, leaving the room and shutting the door.

Tired, Violet lay down and went back to sleep.


The next morning, Violet woke up and decided to walk around his room a little to get use to his Equine body. Mixer came in after a while, and smiled at him.

“Morning! Did you sleep?” The blue unicorn asked.

“Not much...” Violet said, shaking his head.

“You will tonight, I guarantee it! I'm Mixer, the ship’s operator.” Mixer said, extending his hoof.

Violet shook his hoof and noticed that his foreleg was free of any holes left by the tentacles.

“You don't... you don't have any...” Violet began, still looking at his foreleg.

“Holes?” He said, finishing Violet’s sentence. “Nope. Me and my brother Crisp, we're both one hundred percent pure, old fashioned, home-grown pony, born free! Right here, in the real world. Genuine child of New Canterlot.” Mixer said happily

“New Canterlot?” He asked a little confused.

“If the war was over tomorrow, New Canterlot's where the party would be.” The brown-maned pony explained.

“It's a city?” Violet said amazed.

“The last city in Equestria. The only place we have left.” Mixer said a little sadly.

“Where is it?” He asked.

“Deep underground, near the planet's core, where the temperature is still consistent. You live long enough, you might even see it!” Mixer said smiling. “Goddamn, I...I gotta tell you, I'm fairly excited to see what you're capable of. If Crescent Sliver is right and all... we're not supposed to talk about this, but if you are... damn, it's a very exciting time. We got a lot to do, let’s get to it.”

Mixer led Violet to the main deck, helped him into one of the chairs and attached the tentacle.

“Now, we're supposed to start with these operation spells that we’ve managed to break down into computer code then transferred to you, but that's major boring shit. Let's start with something a little more fun... combat training.” Mixer said smiling as he sat down in his operator's chair, flipping through several cartridges with his magic. He finally picked one, and put it into his computer.

“Jujitsu? I'm going to learn...Jujitsu?” Violet asked.

Smiling, Mixer pressed the 'Load' button and Violet's body jumped against the harness as his eyes clamped shut. The monitors kicked wildly as his heart pounded, adrenaline surged, and his brain sizzled. An instant later his eyes snap back open.

“Holy shit!” The tan unicorn said, astonished.

“By Luna, I think he likes it! How about some more?” Mixer said, smiling at him.

“Hell yeah… oh yeah.” Violet said excitedly.

A few hours later, Crescent Sliver walked in as Mixer was blinking, trying to keep his eyes in focus.

“How is he?” The Black Unicorn asked.

“Ten hours straight... he's a machine!” Mixer said tiredly.

Violet's training finished, and he opened his eyes, gasping for air.

“I know...Kung Fu!” Violet said blinking.

“Show me...” Crescent said, getting in the chair next to him and nodding to Mixer.


They both appeared in a very sparse Japanese-style dojo that looked like one of the stages he put into Fighting Is Magic back in the Maretrix.

“This is a sparring program, similar to the augmented reality of the Maretrix. It has the same basic rules, rules like gravity. What you must learn is that because it is made using magic... some of them can be bent. Others... can be broken. Understand?” Crescent asked.

Violet thought about it for a second, and nodded, getting the gust of it.

“Then hit me... if you can.” He said going into a fighting stance.

Violet took a similar stance, and cautiously circled Crescent. Seeing an opening he shorted a war cry and launched a furious attack. They moved at high speed, fists and feet striking from every angle as Violet pressed his attack, but each blow was blocked effortlessly. Crescent then punched Violet and knocked him over.

“Good. Adaptation... improvisation… but your weakness is not your technique.” Crescent said helping him up.


While their minds battled in the augmented reality, the two bodies appeared quite serene, suspended in the drive chairs. Mixer and Divergent Breeze monitored their life systems noticing that Violet's was wildly and chaotically lit up as opposed to the slow and steady rhythm of Crescent’s. Everyone was sitting in another room when Divergent busted in.

“Crescent’s fighting Violet!” He shouted.

At hearing this, they all bolted for the door to go and watch.


Violet's fighting was gradually improving, and he almost managed to beat Crescent, when he suddenly grabbed him and hurled Violet across the room, and he fell. Violet lay on the floor groaning a bit as Crescent casually walked up to him.

“How did I beat you...?” He asked looking down at him.

“You... you're too fast...” Violet said panting.

“Do you believe that me being stronger or faster has anything to do with my muscles in this place?” Crescent asked as Violet just looked at him and Crescent stared back. “You think that's air you're breathing now?” He said as Violet started to get it. “Hmm. Again!” The white haired man said, as Violet got up again.

Their fists flew with pneumatic speed.


Back in the real world everyone was gathered behind Mixer and Divergent, watching the fight. Violet was much faster now, matching Crescent’s speed and blocking all his attempts to hit him.

“Celestia, he's fast! Take a look at his neural kinetics, they're way above normal!" Divergent said, well everyone else was just staring at the screen.


Crescent Sliver and Violet stopped fighting for a second.

“What are you waiting for?! You're faster than this. Don't think you are... know you are...” Crescent said before they began fighting again. “Come on! Stop trying to hit me and hit me!” He said trying to get Violet to improve.

Violet kept on getting faster, and Crescent had to continue to work harder in order to block his attacks.


The crew continued to watch them fight, with increasing admiration for Violet.

“I don't believe it...” Divergent Breeze said as he watched Violet.


Violet had Crescent pinned against the wall, his fist just inches from his face.

“I know what you're trying to do…” Violet said backing off.

“I'm trying to free your mind, Violet...but I can only show you the door. You're the one that has to walk through it... Mixer!” He said looking up. “Load the jump program.”

Violet straightened up as the dojo dissolved away like a curtain lifting, leaving the two now standing on a rooftop in a city skyline. Crescent turned to Violet, his long coat flapping in the wind.

“You have to let it all go, Violet. Fear... doubt...and disbelief. Free your mind...” Crescent said as he spun around and ran hard at the edge of the rooftop.

When he reached the edge of the roof, he jumped and sailed through the air, his coat billowing out behind him like a cape. He did a somersault and landed on the rooftop across the street.

“Wow.” Violet said as he watched him.

Violet looked down at the street twenty floors below, then at Crescent Silver, an impossible fifty feet away.

“Oki doki loki” He said taking a deep breath. “Free my mind... no problem.”


On the main deck, the crew was transfixed looking at the screen.

“So what if he makes it?” Divergent asked not taking his eyes off the screen.

“No one's ever made the first jump...” Mixer said silently hopping he does.

“I know, I know... but what if he does?” He asked anxiously.

“He won't.” Deep said shaking his head.

“Come on…” The pale yellow Pegasus said, shaking in anticipation.

“Come on...” Hawkeye said quietly to herself not taking her eyes of the screen.


Violet took one last deep breath and turned to face the building where Crescent Silver was waiting.

“All right, no problem... free my mind. Free my mind… alright.” He said concentrating before finally running towards the edge.

Summoning every ounce of strength in his legs, Violet launched himself into the air in a single maniacal shriek, but came up short only making it half way. His eyes widened as he plummeted, story after story flew by, the ground rushing up to him. As he hit the ground it gave way, stretching like a trapeze net before sending him flying again. He landed flat on his back laughing a bit, unsure of what he expected exactly wiping the wind-blown tears from his face, as Crescent exited the building and helped him to his feet.


Inside The Lunar Dream, the crew felt kind of let down by Violet.

“Wha... what does this mean?” Divergent Breeze asked looking around.

“It doesn't mean anything...” Solo said sighing.

“Everypony falls the first time. Right Hawk?” B.A. asked turning to see she had already left.

Violet's eyes opened as Mixer eased the tentacle off. He tried to move and groaned, cradling his ribs. While Mixer helped Crescent, Violet spit blood onto his hoof.

“I thought it wasn't real.” He groaned looking at the blood.

“Your mind makes it real...” Crescent said rubbing his forehead.

“So if you're killed in the Maretrix...you die here?” He asked getting out of the chair

“The body cannot live without the mind.” Crescent said also getting out of his chair.

Violet blinked a couple of times before going back to his room and going to sleep.

Author's Note:

Edited by RequiemBlaze