• Published 15th Jul 2013
  • 607 Views, 29 Comments

Ponies Call Tech Support - Dimentio



Technology advancement has is ups and downs, it is time that the ponies learned of the horror that is outsourced Tech Support

  • ...
1
 29
 607

Episode one: Twilight

Disclaimer: Do not take this seriously...You have been warned.

Ponies...Call...Tech support!

Episode one: Twilight

Twilight sighed in frustration as she attempted to fix the contraption that had just been delivered to the library. The device itself seemed simple enough. It was a sort of conduit that would allow ponies to communicate with each other instantly. It sported a numeric keypad that one could use to “call” others. This would have been especially helpful as Spike was currently away and Twilight did not want to use her magic to send it herself. The company had (predictably enough) named the small machine a “telephone”. Alas, Twilight’s device was unable to reach anypony. She knew for a fact that all of her friends had purchased the things the day they were released. The princesses themselves had bought themselves phones so as to communicate with their subjects. She eventually decided to try dialing the number displayed on the screen of the phone labeled: “tech support”

“Hello, what seems to be the problem?” Came a voice with a heavy accent that Twilight had never heard before.

“Err...Hi, I purchased this device from your company and-”Twilight began only to be interrupted by the voice on the other end.

“Is it plugged in?” The voice asked seriously.

“What? The thing claims to be wireless.” Twilight replied, a bit irked by the interruption.

“Oh, that is not very much a problem then. Have a very nice day.” The voice said before abruptly hanging up.

Twilight sat on her haunches for a moment before dialing the number again. She didn’t know if she should be angry or confused.

“Hello, what seems to be the problem?” The voice asked in the exact tone that had started the previous conversation.

“Yes, I bought this ‘phone’ and it doesn’t seem to be able to call any number aside from this one.” Twilight said.
“Have you checked to see if it is plugged in?” The voice inquired. Twilight decided to stop this before the not so distant history repeated itself.

“Can I speak to your manager?” Twilight asked, hoping to get a more competent being to help solve her technical problem.

“Yes, I shall retrieve him for you now.” Came a brief reply, the sounds of shuffling were heard in the background followed by a very muffled conversation.

“Hello, how may I help you today?” Came a slightly deeper voice with the same slightly obnoxious accent as the previous.

“Sorry, I just need a bit of help with my ‘phone’. The only number on it that will work is this one.” Twilight said politely.

“Is it plugged in ma’am?” The voice asked eliciting a facehoof from Twilight.

“It’s wireless, otherwise I wouldn’t be able to talk to you right now.” Twilight replied with an obvious amount of frustration.

“Look, there is no reason to get an attitude with me. I am only trying to help.” The voice chastised.

“You’re right, sorry. Do you have any other bits of advice? I really need to call the princess.” Twilight said.

“Hmm...Have you tried restarting it?” The voice asked, sounding more like it was reading a manual.

“Yes, several times.” Twilight replied, to say that this was annoying was an understatement of the highest caliber.

“Well, what does the screen say when you try to type in a number?”

“It just says: Call tech support at 555-555-5555”

“Look, you are the first one to have this problem.” The voice stated, the accent was beginning to really get on Twilight’s nerves.

“Mind if I ask where your office is?” Twilight queried.

“No, not at all.”

“Well?”

“Yes?”

“I asked you a question.”

“Yes, yes you did.” At this point, Twilight was beginning to wonder if this stallion was truly this naive or if he was simply messing with her.

“Where is your office?” Twilight asked venomously.

“India.” Came the swift reply.

“India? I’ve never even heard of that place.”

“Flimflam industries prefer to outsource their tech support jobs in order to save on costs of labor.”

“Outsource? Wait...Flimflam?” Twilight asked as she recalled the last encounter with two specific stallions “You mean the Flim Flam brothers?”

“Yes, the brothers pay us a very gracious five bits a month.” The voice said proudly.

“Five bits a month? The minimum wage in Equestria is five bits an hour!” Twilight exclaimed she suddenly felt a bit sad about the terrible deal these people were getting.

“Your currency is worth very much here, my old job paid three dollars a year!” Twilight's sadness was suddenly replaced by the same annoyance as before.

“Aside from you being grossly underpaid, can you possibly help me fix this?” Twilight asked, hoping that this person had figured something out.

"Fix what?"

"I need you to help me fix my phone." Twilight repeated holding back screams of rage.

"What seems to be the problem?"

"It can't call anypony aside from this number."

"Have you tried checking to see if it's plugged in? That is a very common problem."

“Hmm, I’m not sure what the problem is. I’m very sorry sir, have a nice day.” The voice said sincerely before hanging up. Twilight visibly twitched as something inside her mind snapped.

“Sir...Sir!?! I’m going to write a letter to Princess Celestia right away!” Twilight yelled to nopony in particular. Within moments she had written up a letter filled with complaints about her encounter with the Flimflam tech support crew and questions about this 'India' place. She wondered how Flim and Flam had managed to find such a place, let alone convince the people that five bits a month was fair. Perhaps these questions will be answered in a later episode...Don't get your hopes up.

This was actually kind of fun to write. Stay tuned for a few more of these. Woo!