• Published 10th Jul 2013
  • 545 Views, 42 Comments

The Mystery Element, Illusion - Nightshade Amberstone



Follow the story of a young filly that finds that she is not what everyone knows or thinks she is.

  • ...
3
 42
 545

The "Perfect" School Morning

The morning sun pierced through the thick leaves of the Everfree Forest and slid into the rough hole in the small ,shabby hut that served as a window. The light lit up what was the only room in the hut. A small roughly cut table sat in the middle, while a stone furnace stood, cold and empty, on the other side. By the furnace was a roughly patched, ancient mattress. On the mattress, sleeping under a ragged blanket, lay a filly. She was fast asleep, a small smile on the face. She had a midnight, blue-black coat and a strangely purple-blue mane, like the color you see at twilight in the summer. It had a cyan streak running through it, as if the creator had grown board with it and wanted to make it interesting. Her name was Nightshade Amberstone.

Nightshade had arrived in Ponyville not to long ago, in reality, it had only been about 2 weeks. She was alone and wandering the streets of Ponyville, not knowing why she was there, where her parents were (in fact, she didn't even know if she had parents), or who anypony else was. All she knew was her name and that she had to go see Princess Celestia immediately. The mayor of Ponyville gave her something to eat and told her that the Princess was busy with the summer sun celebration so near. In light of the last celebration being cut short with the arrival of Princess Luna, the celebration would be in Ponyville again, this time, with no interruption. The mayor, being a kind mare, gave Nightshade the small hut in the Everfree Forest and enrolled her in the only school in Ponyville. Nightshade got a small job, by the Mayor's request, at Sweet Apple Acres. In light of all the kindness the Mayor had shown her, Nightshade decided she would wait until the celebration was over, and then see Celestia. But, she soon learned that not everypony was so kind and caring here in Ponyville.

In the distance, a rooster called to announce the sunrise. Nightshade stirred, but then jolted upright. With her eyes wide open, she could tell that was going to be late for school if she lay there any-further. Bounding over the the door, she wrenched it open and galloped toward her outside bathroom. As she washed her face and horn, then started to brush her mane, she stared at her reflection. The bruise under her left eye that Diamond Tiara had given her a few days ago hadn't healed yet. She tried to rub at it to make it less green, but she winced in pain.

I guess that's what I get for annoying Diamond Tiara, she thought. Nightshade now looked at her eyes, which were the only things that she liked about herself. They were a rosy-magenta color with a lavender ring around the iris. She finished her washing and ran back to her hut to fetch her bag.

Moments later, Nightshade dashed down the earthy lane toward her school. It cut right through Ponyville Square. As usual, it was already bustling with life. As she veered around a corner she crashed head long into a purple pony. The books she had been carrying with her magic came crashing down on top of her head.

"Oh my, I'm really sorry! Let me help you, please!" Squeaked Nightshade. She half expected the mare to scold her. As the mare stood up, Nightshade noticed a pair of wings. She gasped. The mare raised a hoof. Nightshade flinched, preparing for a blow onto her head, but there was none.

"Are you alright?", a voice asked. Nightshade looked up, surprised. The mare was holding out a hoof to help her up. Nightshade took it and the mare pulled her up. The mare had a horn and wings, no doubt about that. This was unmistakably the alicorn princess, Twilight Sparkle. Everypony, big and small, always talked about her in hushed tones, as if to preserve her majesty.

"I hope I didn't hurt you," said Twilight. "I'm in a bit of a hurry today. I don't think I've ever seen you around here, what's your name?" Nightshade just cast her head down and mumbled her name. "Sorry, I didn't catch that." said Twilight with an apologetic smile.

"My..my name is Nightshade, Nightshade Amberstone. I'm really sorry that I knocked you down, Princess Sparkle. Let me help you." Nightshade pointed her horn at the books and they instantly rose into a neat pile and they floated by Twilight until she held them up with her own magic.

"Well, thank you. I must say that you have extraordinary talent for a unicorn so young." Nightshade blushed, but her face fell when she heard the school bell toll. Before Twilight could ask another question, she dashed off toward school, hoping Ms. Cheerilee wouldn't notice her tardiness. Twilight watched her go and wondered why the filly looked so bruised and fearful as she dashed away toward school, wondering if she could possibly help her. As Nightshade cantered up the steps, her hooves snagged on a trip rope, and she fell, hooves over hooves, in to the classroom. It erupted into gales of laughter as Nightshade stumbled to her feet. And before her stood the two fillies that she was hoping she wouldn't have to see, Diamond Tiara and her best friend and crony, Silver Spoon.

"Have a nice tumble, Blank-flank?!"jeered Diamond Tiara in her snooty high pitched voice. The classroom laughed again.

"Yeah, did ya?" Silver Spoon shot Diamond Tiara a nasty smile. "They should rewrite the rules to say 'Look before you fall!'" The room jeered again.

"You know, guys," said Nightshade standing up, "I used to think that you were jerks, but now," Nightshade let out a mock sigh. "Now I think you both are just a couple of immature school fillies with no brains." The room roared with laughter at this. Diamond Tiara and Silver Spoon glared.

"You'd best watch it Amberstone or I'll mess up your other eye, too." hissed Diamond Tiara. Nightshade sneered at this.

"I'd like to see you try." She muttered. Diamond Tiara let our a small scream of rage and brought her hoof high up and was bringing it down, but Nightshade blocked it. Then, out of nowhere Sliver Spoon's hooves kicked her in the stomach and Nightshade crumpled. The two fillies kicked her and left her on the floor as they jeered at her. Nightshade got to her feet and made her way to her seat, at the very back of the room where nobody could see her. She let out a small sigh as Ms. Cheerilee came in and told everypony to settle down. Nightshade rested her head on her desk.

This is just perfect. she thought. Just perfect.

Author's Note:

Hey guys! This is the first chapter/pilot to the story I'm currently writing. I hope you guys like it! Please comment on it!
I couldn't help putting my self as the main character in it though! >-< LOL