• Published 9th Jul 2013
  • 2,260 Views, 97 Comments

Hidden Powers of the Sea Devil - Akasuna no Sasori



A strange new fruit appears in Equestria. It is one of the strangest in their world, and, like any other fruit, they begin to eat them. What could possibly go wrong?

  • ...
11
 97
 2,260

Chapter 1: Fruits of Evil

It was a dark night in Ponyville. All the shops had been closed hours ago, and the ponies were all in deep sleep.

The night air was cool and damp; and the sound of fireflies buzzing here and there could be heard.

But the peaceful night was interrupted as a large object rose out of the river behind Ponyville!

It was a wooden ship, or at least, what was left of one. Some of the wood was missing, and the central mast was cracked. Holes were in the sails, and the crows nest was missing entirely.

What was even more amazing, were the crew that were on board! Each man was starved half to death. Bones were exposed underneath their skin.

However, a healthier looking man walked out of the cabin and onto the deck. He had a white beard that stretched down to his collarbone, and a black tricorn hat with a feather sticking out of it. His overcoat was black and soiled, and his shirt underneath wasn’t in much better condition, either.

He walked to the prow of the ship, and looked up to towards Canterlot in the distance.

“You win, harlot! I can no longer keep this up, this foolish game! My crew is starving, my ship is breaking, and I just don’t have the heart for it anymore!”

The bearded man folded his arms, looked down at his boots, and chuckled before looking back up towards the mountain city.

“But even though you finally beat me, my legacy will live forever! Men, open the hatch!”

The men on the ship opened a set of double doors positioned on the deck. A bright light shone from inside, then suddenly, several small objects flew out! They ascended high into the sky, and seemed to disappear in the dark night sky.

The bearded man laughed. “Well Princess, I’m still not even sure if you can hear me. But I don’t care! You will know who did this!”

The man laughed again, and walked back into the cabin. As the cabin door closed, the ship descended into the river, and everything was still again.

- - - - -

The next morning, the ponies awoke to go about their daily business.

The shops were opened, the stalls were uncovered, and friendly greetings were exchanged in the street.

But out of everything going on in the street, the most popular event was the display of something a merchant found last night at his stall.The merchant there was talking about the fruit, and held something covered in his hoof.

“Everypony behold! I was taking a walk last night close to Everfree Forest and by chance, I discovered this in my path!”

The pony removed the covering over the object. It was a strange fruit shaped like a red papaya with S-shaped swirls all over the skin.

“This is a rare Kambuja fruit! It’s value is limitless because this is the only one in existence!”

“Ooh!” Said the crowd.

“This fruit is special because it has the power to grant eternal youth! While you may be 80 years old, you will still look as you do now!”

Another “ooh” came from the crowd, followed by the ponies waving their money in the air at him.

The greedy merchant looked at the bags of coins, until he saw the biggest one out of all of them.

“You there! With the colorful mane! What’s your name?”

Rainbow Dash pushed her way through the crowd until she was standing in front of the merchant.

“I’m Rainbow Dash!”

“Well Rainbow Dash, do you have the 400 bits for this fruit?”

Rainbow looked down at the money in her bag and counted out 400 bits.

“Here you go! Now give me that fruit!”

“Of course, my most enthusiastic customer!”

Rainbow snatched the fruit and ran away; all the while the greedy merchant counted his money.

Rainbow kept running until she couldn't’ see Ponyville anymore.

She looked over her shoulder just to make sure no one had followed her then jumped into a bush.

“Oh, this is so cool! Eternal youth! Well, here goes.”

Rainbow bit into the fruit, but dropped it immediately.

“Yuck! That tasted awful!”

Rainbow looked at the rest of the fruit curiously.

“I probably should’ve asked if I had to eat the whole fruit. What if I don’t get eternal youth from just one bite?”

She bit her lip, then picked up the fruit, and grudgingly ate the rest of it.

“So cool! Eternal youth! Woohoo!”

Rainbow flew into the sky and started doing loop-de-loops.

“Wait, I should probably go tell the others! They’ll be so jealous!”

She flew back to Ponyville, and went to the Golden Oaks Library.

As was tradition with her, she flew through the small window by the stairs leading up to Twilight’s bedroom. Twilight didn’t even look up from her work when the glass shattered, nor when Rainbow Dash crashed into a bookcase sending all the book flying off the shelves.

“Hello, Rainbow Dash.”

“Heh, sorry about that Twilight!” Said Rainbow Dash as she poked her head through the pile of books covering her.

Twilight was used to it, so she didn’t bother scolding her for it.

“So, Twilight, I thought I’d let you know, I have eternal youth!”

Twilight was still deep in thought, and didn’t respond.

“I said,” Rainbow flew right under nose, “I have eternal youth!”

“Rainbow Dash! I heard you the first time! But eternal youth isn’t real, even the Princesses will grow old and die one day. What makes you think you won’t?”

“I bought this crazy fruit from a merchant in Ponyville. He said it makes you stay young forever!”

“Merchants will usually lie to take your money, Rainbow. But I’ll humor you: what did the fruit look like?”

“It was shaped like a cone, it was red, and it had these weird black swirls all over it!”

“I’ve never heard of a fruit like that before, but I’m sure I have something here that will identify it.”

Rainbow Dash sighed and flew over to a chair in the corner. When Twilight started searching through her books for something, it was going to take a LONG time.

It took her 3 1/2 hours to come back to Rainbow Dash.

“So? What was that weird fruit I ate? I bet it did give me eternal youth, didn’t it?”

Twilight shook her head.

“I’m sorry Rainbow. I couldn’t find anything about it. You’re going to have to talk to Celestia about this.”

“Alright, well, thanks for trying anyway, Twilight.”

Rainbow flew out of the broken window, and raced towards Canterlot.

It didn’t take the speedy pegasus long before she landed in front of Canterlot castle. She raced up the steps, and burst into the throne room, panting.

“Rainbow Dash! Whatever is the meaning of this?” Asked Luna.

“I....have....to....tell....”

“Catch your breath first, then speak.” Said Celestia.

Rainbow paced the room for a few moments, before speaking.

“Princesses, I ate a red, cone-shaped fruit with black swirl marks on the skin. Do you know what it is? I asked Twilight and she told me to come to you.”

Luna shrugged, but Celestia’s eyes grew big.

“What did you say was on the fruit’s skin?”

“Black swirl marks, your highness.”

Celestia jumped off of her throne, and ran straight past Rainbow into the hallway.

“Follow me!” She called out.

Rainbow instinctively followed the Princess as she took her through the castle’s many hallways and stairways. Finally, they reached a dark room in the back of the castle. Celestia opened the door, and used her horn as a torch to light the room.

“Rainbow Dash, come look at this drawing on the end of the room.”

Rainbow followed her to the other side of the room where, behind a table filled with alchemical equipment, was a drawing of various round objects.

“This is the room where I have done all my research on the Sea Devil and his fruits.”

“The Sea Devil?”

“Yes, let me explain. The Sea Devil is the King of the Seas, so to speak. However, he is cruel, and sinks any ship in his way.

“A long time ago, he came to Equestria, and I had to fight him. He left eventually, but I followed him to the alternate universe where he lives - The Milky Way.

“It is here I discovered what this man really was. He was an explorer who travelled across the entire ocean on his planet. He had gone to strange lands, and gathered strange commodities, including fruit.

“This fruit terrified the crewman, and they requested the captain get rid of it. Of course, this man was known as the Sea Devil, so, just like the actual Devil we hear about in fairy tales, he cruelly ignored his crewman’s concerns. As it would turn out, though, he should’ve listened.

“Eventually, the man’s ship, The Flying Dutchman, arrived back in his native port in a small island off of the coast of England. There, he buried his loot, and gave three of each of the fruits he had to his crewman. He told them that they were going to a French port in the Caribbean where the men would do one of three things: give away the fruit, sell the fruit, or eat the fruit.

“Many of the men sold their fruits, but some of the more superstitious ones gave them away; to appease the gods, or something like that.

“However, two men decided to eat the fruits. They had lost all of their money on gambling while in port, and were hungry yet unable to purchase any food. After consuming the fruits, the men decided to go for a swim.

“The men found out that the fruits their captain had found took away your ability to swim forever. The men drowned, and when the captain found him, he gathered up the remaining fruits and stowed them under the ship. He told the men to NEVER eat them unless they wanted to wind up like the other two.

“But since some of the fruit had been sold already, some people not of the crew ate the fruits.The captain had found over 100 fruits in the strange land he went to. Not, only 15 remained on board.

“It didn’t take long for rumors to circulate about who it was who found the fruits and brought them to the West. People knew who it was, a man so cruel that his true name was rarely spoken - Davy Jones. This captain was the Sea Devil, and because he brought the fruits over to the modern world, they were appropriately named Devil Fruits.”

Celestia turned back to the chart.

“Now that you know the story, we need to figure out which fruit it was that you ate.”

She scanned the chart carefully, the pointed at one of the pictures.

“Here, this is the one you ate.”

Rainbow looked to where Celestia was pointing, and sure enough, that was the fruit she ate.

“The....Sickle-Sickle Fruit?”

“That’s correct. Oh! Silly me! I forgot to mention something! Each one of the Devil Fruits gives you one of the powers of the Sea Devil. The fruit is named after the power, hence, the Sickle Sickle Fruit!”

“Sweet! So, what is my power?”

“You can create gusts of wind in the form of sharp scythes; allowing you to cut down wood, stone, even metal with wind!”

“Awww, yeah! I’m gonna go try this out right now!”

Rainbow started flying out the door, but Celestia stopped her.

“Wait! Remember this: with your new Devil Fruit powers, you can no longer swim, and if you come into contact with water at all, you will be weakened. So much so, that you will become limp and helpless; unable to move until some pony comes to your rescue. That said, be careful, Rainbow Dash.”

“Got it, Princess!”

Rainbow flew out the door, and Celestia closed the door behind her.

“This is bad. If Rainbow Dash ate a Devil Fruit, that means that there must be others around, as well. He must have come back! The Sea Devil has returned to Equestria!”

- - - - -

Rainbow Dash decided to fly far away from Canterlot and into the woods to see what she could do with her new powers.

She landed in an open space inside the forest.

She faced a tree and stood up on her hind legs.

“Celestia said my Devil Fruit power is to be able to create gusts of winds that cut stuff. So, since I flapped my wings flying here and nothing happened, I’ll try waving my legs instead!”

Rainbow Dash was spot on. After she waved her front legs in a slashing motion, two gusts of winds in the form of rounded blades appeared!

They raced towards the tree and cut it apart instantly!

“Ah, yeah! This is sick! So maybe the fruit didn’t give me eternal youth, but this is way cool!”

She cut down 6 more trees as practice before deciding to head back to Ponyville. Now that she knew what the fruit actually did to her, her friends HAD to know.

When she arrived back in Ponyville, there was a commotion in the marketplace again. Rainbow flew over to see what was happening, and her mouth dropped open. The same merchant from earlier had found 3 more Devil Fruits and he was selling them all!

“Come one, come all! Behold, the legendary fruits of eternal youth!”

The merchant had no idea what he was selling!

“Oh, no! I have to let the Princess know! If more ponies accidentally eat these fruits, things could get bad quick!”

Rainbow Dash raced back to Canterlot. She flew through the castle doors, into the throne room, where Luna sat.

“Princess Luna! Where’s your sister? I must see her!”

“She’s upstairs in her research room. The one about the Satan Vegetables...”

Rainbow ignored the Princess’ obvious sarcasm, and flew upstairs to the room she was in earlier that day. She burst in the room, panting.

“Your....highness....we....have....a....problem....”

“I am aware, Rainbow Dash.” Said Celestia. She was staring at the chart on the wall.

“What? How could you know already? That merchant who sold me my fruit is selling 3 more!”

Celestia turned to face Rainbow Dash.

“No, not that. That is news to me, but it’s nothing compared to what’s happened. You see, 7 more Devil Fruits have been eaten. The worst part is, three of them were eaten by Diamond Tiara and her friend, Silver Spoon.”

“So? They’re just kids, they can’t hurt anypony, can they?”

“No, you don’t understand. Silver Spoon ate one, then went swimming an hour later. Her body washed up on shore half an hour ago.”

“Oh, no! What happened to Diamond Tiara?”

Celestia’s expression became grim, and she walked towards a chair in the corner and sat down. Rainbow seated herself in the one across from her.

“When you eat a Devil Fruit, one of the ‘demon servants’ of the Sea Devil enters your body. It is this demon that grants you the powers of the fruit. However, no two demons are ‘close’, shall we say. In some societies, gods are viewed as having friends and foes among each other. The Sea Devil’s servants all hate each other. So, if you consume two fruits, the demons will fight each other inside your body. In the end, they will tear you apart; killing you just to get at each other.”

“Diamond Tiara....she’s dead, too?”

Celestia nodded.

“Yes, she is. The Devil Fruits may seem like a great thing, but they kill ponies and Davy Jones’ race, too. They are a deadly virus that must be contained. Unfortunately, I have no idea how many of the fruits are here. It’s possible Davy Jones just unloaded some of the fruits here as revenge on me for what I did to him years ago.”

Rainbow Dash opened her mouth to speak, but Celestia cut her off.

“I know what you’re about to ask, and I’m afraid I won’t answer it. That’s my past, and no pony’s business but my own. What you need to concern yourself with is helping Equestria. Assemble the other Elements and track down all of the Devil Fruits. I’ll give you a list of them with a picture so you can’t miss them.”

Celestia got up and walked to her desk where she pulled a scroll out. She handed it to Rainbow Dash before sitting down again.

“You must get ALL of the fruits if we are to stop any more deaths. You have already eaten the Sickle Sickle Fruit, so you can cross that off your list. But there are over 100 Devil Fruits, and who knows how many are here. Search everywhere until you’ve found every last one.”

Celestia stood up and walked back to her desk.

“This is another mission only you and your friends can accomplish, Rainbow Dash. Just like the last tasks I’ve given you, this one will affect the survival of Equestria. I beg you, don’t fail me.”

Rainbow Dash stood up and smirked.

“You can’ count on us, your highness! We won’t let you down!”

“I have faith in you. Good luck.”

Rainbow flew out the door again for the second time that day, leaving the Princess alone with her thoughts.

“You’ll need luck for this one. An immeasurable amount of luck.”