• Published 18th Feb 2012
  • 599 Views, 1 Comments

Love of the Night - Jonny V.



even the immortal get lonely

  • ...
 1
 599

Chapter I

Luna gazed wistfully at the full moon outside her window in Canterlot Palace. Even after a thousand years, and with full understanding of the need for balance between Night and Day, Luna couldn’t help but wish that more ponies would see the beauty and splendour of the night, besides just her. Sighing, she decided to go for a walk. These walks, after everypony else had gone to bed, were becoming a regular habit. She always had been a night owl. “Go figure,” she said to herself, “the Princess of the Moon is a night owl.” Tonight, she decided to go outside, to the city’s curtain wall, to better see Equestria bathed in moonlight. Because even the stained glass in the hallways gets boring after the twelfth night in a row she thought. Walking through the quiet, empty streets, with dark, closed stores on either side of her, she felt terribly alone. Everypony else was curled up in bed, oblivious to the pale bluish glow the full moon bathed the world in tonight. The blue hue matched Luna’s mood. Nopony ever appreciated her work. With her head hung low, she climbed the narrow staircase to the top of the wall, prepared for another lonely night’s walk. Much to her surprise, somepony else was already at the top of the wall. “Ah, la nuit, c’est tres magnifique!” the stallion exclaimed. As Luna approached, she could see the horn protruding from his white shaggy mane. The rest of him, a deep blue, was almost lost in the darkness, only visible thanks to the light of the moon high overhead. “Excuse us for intruding,” probed Luna cautiously, “but we do not usually see anypony else out at night. Who are you, and what are you doing up so late?”
“I am Midnight Star, and I am an astronomer! A gazer of the stars. I’m always up at night, it’s so peaceful, so quiet. You wouldn’t have seen me before because I’m usually at my observatory in Cloudsdale. And you, Princess Luna, have you come simply to enjoy the moon that is your domain?”
“We have had enough first-hoof enjoyment of it over the past thousand years, we were just feeling restless, and decided to go for a walk. How is it that a unicorn can go to Cloudsdale, and why are you not at your observatory tonight?”
“I never heard you were so chatty, your highness.” Midnight Star quipped, “To answer your questions, I get to Cloudsdale by balloon, then I use an old, obscure spell that lets me walk on clouds. I’m not at the observatory now because full moons are poor nights to see the stars, because of the brightness of the moon.”
“We are not usually so inquisitive.” Said Luna nervously. It was true, she was better known for her shyness around new ponies, and difficulties opening up and making friends. “If you do not mind though, we do still have a couple questions”
“The night is young, and I would gladly spend it talking to a beautiful mare like you.”
Luna blushed, then asked “Why Cloudsdale? And what made you first decide to become an astronomer?”
“To answer your second question first, when I was a foal, my parents let me stay up one night, to see Hay Leaves’ Comet, a rare comet that only comes every 76 years. I was so awed and moved by it, that at first sight, I knew that studying the night sky was exactly what I wanted to do for the rest of my life. That’s when I discovered my cutie mark.” Midnight Star gestured to his flank, where the image of a comet with a bright tail was emblazoned, “As to the first question, being in Cloudsdale lets me get above most of the clouds, and away from the lights on the ground, so I can see the stars better.”
“Can you tell me about the stars?” Luna asked
“You didn’t use the royal we that time, your highness.”
“I’m not asking as a princess, but as a pony, who wants to hear what you have to say, can you tell me about the stars?”
“That would be like telling a fire what ash is. All that I can see is simply the aftermath of your radiance.”
For the second time since she met this pony, Luna felt herself blushing. Trying to divert attention from this, she turned away and said “I think you misunderstand, my domain is only the moon, not the whole night sky. I do not know much at all about the stars.”
“My mistake your highness”
“Please, just call me Luna.”
“Alright, Luna.” Midnight Star smiled, “Let me point out a few of the major constellations to you. If you want to know more about them, you should come to my observatory on Cloudsdale one night. I have lots of star charts, and my telescopes are there.” Projecting a thin beam of light from the tip of his horn, Midnight star gestured to a large group of stars to the east; This is the constellation Pegasus. The ancients thought that was what it looked like, but I don’t really see it myself.” Luna giggled, agreeing with him “And over here, is the constellation Hayracles, named after a mythical ancient hero. This one’s a little more clear, you can see him rearing on his hind legs with his hooves out....”
And so it continued, until at last, dawn was starting to creep over the Eastern horizon. “It appears that my sister is waking up. Will you be here tomorrow night?” Luna asked
“Unfortunately, no. I only came to buy a new lens from a specialty glass store here in Canterlot, With the moon waning now, I need to get back to my observatory to fix my telescope. Tomorrow night, I’m going to be in Cloudsdale.”
Looking down sorrowfully at her hooves, Luna mumbled “Oh, of course. I understand.” Luna extended a hoof, expecting him to kiss it, as many subjects did to both princesses. Instead, much to her surprise, Midnight Star took her hoof in his, and leaned in, giving her a quick peck on the cheek. “Oh!” Luna exclaimed with surprise, then turned and quickly cantered off. Wistfully, Midnight Star turned, and went about his own day. After all, the telescope wasn’t going to build itself.