• Published 12th Aug 2013
  • 11,279 Views, 622 Comments

Lost and Fallen - Superdale33



Nolan Anderson, a member of S.W.A.T., is teleported to Equestria during a mission. In this new land, humans have taken over and enslaved a sentient pony species. He must find a way back to Earth, while both sides hate him for different reasons

  • ...
46
 622
 11,279

Chapter 24: Supplant

Lost and Fallen
Chapter 24: Supplant

Too tight. Just one of the complaints I came up with for the suit I wore. Brushing the black coat, the cloth as dark as coal, I tried to ignore the lack of heavy wear around my torso. I couldn’t hide my bullet-proof vest underneath the suit, and it unfortunately had to be taken off. But without it, I was naked. I had argued up and down with Twilight why I needed it, and there it was in the corner. I had never been a fan of formal wear, and this situation was not making it better. I was prepared to simply throw the vest on anyway, but I wasn’t stupid. I knew I couldn’t. The new pants were pretty bland, as were the shoes, both matching the color of my coat.

There was yet another complaint; my toes were far too pressed.

Of course, I couldn’t say these aloud. The suit belonged to Anthony, and I wasn’t one to gripe about a gift.

Adjusting the cuffs of the undershirt, I stepped back into the hallway, spotting Vincent already in his suit, along with an orange bow tie. With the rest of his suit as black as mine, it really didn’t work well together. The way he waited patiently with a stern smile on his face didn’t ease my annoyance either.

“You didn’t take long,” he noted impatiently, his hands held in front of him. A glance down the hallway showed that I wasn’t the last one to get ready. Besides Vincent, there was Twilight Sparkle, sporting a long dress that followed her form. Midnight blue in color, it flowed around her tail before ending in a flourish of flowers. And it was all topped off with a red rose design around her chest.

She was also unpleased with my less than timely appearance.

“We still have plenty of time,” I retorted, fixing my coat’s collar to feel more comfortable. Twilight grunted, a scowl on her face. Her eyes, however, were fixed on the door leading into Carrot Top’s room.

Vincent raised a brow as he looked over me. His head tilted left and right in examination, his face scrunching up. I wished he would stop with his exuberant critical eye and just tell me what was on his mind.

“No tie?” he questioned.

Shaking my head, I rubbed the exposed white shirt that my suit couldn’t hide. Vincent gave me a look like he didn’t like it, but he pursed his lips as he glanced down to Twilight, who didn’t even bother giving her opinion. I was glad he didn’t bring it up; ties were damn hard to get on, and just felt out of place. Besides, I looked a lot better without one.

The door to Carrot Top’s room opened as she slipped through. “Sorry, I took so long,” she stressed, fidgeting with her dress. It was more in line with what a Pegasus would wear; gray with streaks of blue along the back. The front looked more like a cloud itself, encompassing her chest in a tuft of cotton. I thought she would take on a more carrot-derived design, but that was simply based on her Cutie Mark. Not everything had to revolve around those strange tattoos though, and I doubted there was a such a dress on such short notice.

“We’re losing daylight,” Twilight announced as she quickly trotted for the stairs. Her dress swayed with each step. Yeah, the dress was definity form fitting. “Let’s head down to meet the others. We’ll come up with a plan there.”

Vincent was just as rushed, following in line with Twilight as Carrot Top and I remained. If I could draw a comparison between the two of them, they sure liked to keep things orderly when it came to time. Maybe instead of rebuking us, they could exchange their agendas to see whose was more organized.

“Do you like it?” Carrot Top asked gently. Turning to her, I could see her blush as she lifted a forehoof to cradle her dress. The smile was very pleasent to see, causing me to mirror it.

“Yeah, it’s nice,” I replied. My mom always said to compliment a woman on her appearance when she asked for it, and that lesson helped immensely with Emma. Although Carrot Top was a mare, I was sure it still counted.

Admittedly, both Carrot Top and Twilight looked good. Cute yet still having an air of grace. They didn’t even care that they were pulling off those dresses, and this was coming from someone who had no experience in the field of fashion. I couldn’t imagine someone like Applejack wearing a dress. Not here, nor anywhere really.

Sighing, I gazed longly down the hallway, where I was sure Twilight and Vincent were getting antsy waiting for us, again.

“I’m glad you like it,” Carrot Top spoke before I could make a move. Her smile was more fond, and her blush had toned down. “Berry Punch lent it to me. I wasn’t sure how it would look, and Twilight isn’t exactly the type to give another mare advice. Thank you.”

“Don’t mention it,” I said with a nod. She shifted closer to me and nuzzled my stomach. Her mane brushed against my hand, and I petted it slowly. I had never felt a Pony’s mane before, having worn my gloves. It was soft, and therapeutic in a way. The softness was thanks to the bath she had taken a while ago, but I still couldn’t get enough of it. I wasn’t sure what compelled me to comfort her either, but something told me she didn’t get compliments very often. “I’m sure you would have looked great in anything.”

She gave a nervous giggle as she rubbed her foreleg, her blush returning to the intense red from earlier. If it was that easy to compliment her, I had to remember to do more. It was making her ecstatic, and it warmed my heart to see her in high spirits. Plus, it was adorable the way she giggled.

Breaking away from her, I made my way down the hallway as I turned to her, “Okay, now I know those two are going to blow a gasket. So much for being punctual.”

“It was worth it,” Carrot Top remarked, sticking her nose in the air. Glancing down to my suit, I found a few strands of orange hair sprinkled around. They could stay there though, I wasn’t worried about appearances.

{~+~}

“That’s the plan?” Anthony questioned in disbelief.

We all stood in a ring, shoulder to shoulder, to work on the plan. Twilight and I came up with most of it, since she had the brains and I had the expertise. After all, breaching was my forte, even if it wasn’t as violent as my other escapades. Still, several other people had chipped in, and it was the final plan that was giving Anthony pause.

Why couldn’t he bring up his objections before we came up with the final plan?

“I’m with Anthony on this one,” Alex said, pointing to him. I couldn’t read his expression. He was definitely grim, but there was another harrowing feel about him as well. “I get there isn’t a lot of formal clothing to give out, especially with the party starting in an hour, but there’s gotta be something better we can come up with.”

“Four is a good amount of people for this type of mission,” I stressed, “Any more and it’ll get suspicious.”

“I know, I know,” Anthony said, holding up both of his hands, “And that’s the reason you can’t sneak me or Alex in, but I’m sure another Pony or two would avert a couple eyes. No offense.”

“No, I see your meaning,” Twilight nodded, glancing to Berry Punch and Spitfire, “But as Nolan pointed out as well, having four is a good way to keep ourselves inconspicuous. We can easily communicate with each other without anyone noticing.”

“When you put it that way, it makes sense,” Spitfire agreed with her own nod. She gave a playful look to Anthony, “And besides, we’re not completely out of the action. Any sign of a struggle and we’ll be in there before they can say ‘Wonderbolt’.”

Unless that would just make things worse. Even though Alex, Anthony, and Spitfire would hide outside of the party location - I still hadn’t gotten a confirmation where it was held - it could just create chaos for us if they got involved, and get someone killed in the process. I had been in several S.W.A.T. teams, and I knew that the more allies there were, the more confused it could get. Friendly fire, misinstruction, and disorientation, just to name a few.

However, at the end of the day, we were outnumbered, and anyone capable of fighting was a requirement.

Speaking of which, Berry Punch wasn’t too happy with our plan, staring off into space. She hadn’t spoken up for a long time. “Sorry, you have to stay here,” I apologized. Berry shook out of her trance as she forced a smile. A really forced smile.

“It’s no problem,” she said, but her words were empty to me, “Someone’s gotta watch Applejack, right?” Her smile finally fell to the frown she had hidden as she turned to Anthony. “Just don’t die.”

Vincent chuckled, “That’s the plan.”

“Well, not really,” Twilight added afterward, “I thought everyone was-”

“Figure of speech,” I interrupted, with a bemused shake of my head.

“Oh,” Twilight said as she gave an embarrassed smile. Everyone either chuckled or smiled at the exchange. All but Berry Punch, who slipped out of the circle, making her way across the room. Anthony and I were the only ones to notice her leave.

“I’ll be right back,” I said without looking away from Berry. Vincent responded, but I wasn’t paying attention, already heading to Berry with my mind abuzz. She still had to be hurting after finding out what happened to her sister. And she wasn’t at all pleased with how Anthony was coming with us while she stayed behind. They had something going between each other.

As I approached her, Berry didn’t move, staring at the wall intently as I figured out what to say. It was a lot harder than I thought.

“You don’t have to worry about Anthony,” I reassured quietly, keeping it as private as possible. “Hopefully, we won’t need his help.”

Berry Punch turned to me, and her eyes were on fire as she hissed through clenched teeth, “Hopefully?”

I didn’t think whatever I would have said would make much of a difference. And considered she blamed me for the death of her sister, I doubted anything I did would make up for it. Sighing, I waited a moment in case Berry would follow up, but when she didn’t, I spoke again.

“I know you’re still upset over your sister, and I’m sorry, but there isn’t-”

“Sorry?” She hissed again, facing me fully. The fire in her eyes would have roasted me if I wasn’t already prepared for whatever she had in store. “You think sorry is going to make it all better? You think it’ll bring my sister back?”

“No, I know it can’t do that,” I expressed, already regretting speaking to her. She always found a way to make me feel guilty, “It’s just… I’ve lost someone close to me too, a lot of us have.”

“And you think just because everyone lost someone, my loss is no different? Or even important?”

“Damnit, you’re not even listening to me,” I stated, tightening my hands into fists. I had to really force myself to stay quiet. Berry Punch was getting worked up, and I didn’t want our conversation to turn into a show.

“I don’t need to,” she shot back, somehow keeping her voice as low as mine. She also didn’t want to cause a scene. “My sister was killed because you couldn’t do a thing. And now I’m supposed to trust that Anthony won’t die because of your actions?”

Relaxing myself, I thought about Emma, and how devastated and angry I was when she was gone. If there was a person to blame, wouldn’t I have blamed him? That was always the case; someone always had to be blamed. It was already bad enough I blamed myself for what happened to Emma, or Cloudsdale, or hell, here in Manehattan! And it wasn’t any easier getting talked down for what happened in Appleloosa either.

Having all this on my conscious was really bad. Especially with a huge, delicate mission ahead of us.

“Got nothing to say?” Berry Punch spat, stepping closer. Once again, she was hitting all the right buttons. Enough to rile me up, but not cause me to explode. Cornered like a fucking kid caught with cookies.

“Leave him alone,” Carrot Top ordered harshly, stepping to my side. Berry turned her icy glare to her, and the sparks flew between the two of them. I was afraid they would break out into a fight. We had to avoid that, since Carrot Top’s dress could be ruined.

I never thought I would ever worry about a dress in my life.

“Carrot Top, it’s fine,” I whispered, leaning over to her while closing my eyes. I had to believe what I said too.

“It’s not fine!” she said, no longer keeping things quiet. I didn’t need to look over to the others to know they were watching. Somehow, it always ended up like that. Carrot Top took a defiant step forward, almost defensively in front of me. “She has no idea what you went through!”

“I know all I need to know!” Berry yelled, pointing a hoof to me, “He’s the reason Piña Colada is dead!” Her eyes were glazing over, “I can never ever see her again, because he couldn’t protect her! Why did she, out of all the other foals, have to die!? Huh!?”

Her breathing was erratic, and I mentally debated whether just to drag Carrot Top away before the argument went any further. However, those thoughts disappeared when Carrot Top maintained her glare. Berry Punch’s words hadn’t affected her in the slightest. As for me, it just added another load onto my overburdened heart.

“I don’t know,” Carrot Top said, speaking steadily and with finality. Her face loosened up a bit, “I don’t know why Piña Colada died. But it isn’t Nolan’s fault.”

My stomach tingled a little bit, like the load was melting away.

“But he was-”

“Yes, he was there!” Carrot Top interupted, taking several steps to put her face against Berry’s. She was actually dumbstruck over Carrot’s assertion, “And he tried his hardest to save her! You have no idea what he went through! He was destroyed, broken, when he found out she died. Everyone was celebrating from the foals being free, and he was the only one who wasn’t.”

Doctor Styles probably wasn’t celebrating, but I didn’t bring it up. A doctor could hardly be blamed. They try to save the lives of those who hang in the balance, and I… was the one who put them in those critical conditions in the first place.

“That’s enough, Carrot Top,” I demanded, she faced me, but I gave her a look that shut her up quick. She ground her teeth before heading back to the others behind me. Berry Punch watched her leave, her gaze slowly turning back to me. A revelation had gone off in her head, but I wasn’t sure on what, specifically. “Look, I don’t care if you blame me or not. I already know I fucked up, I don’t need someone rubbing it in my face. Your sister wasn’t the first one that I’ve failed to save, and I’m sure she won’t be the last.”

My mouth was bitter when I said that. It hurt... It hurt a lot.

“But as long as I’m alive, I’m not going to let these Humans keep you Ponies enslaved.”

The cold, hard truth was given. No turning back from that. And it was just that: the truth. I fail sometimes, sure, but that was no reason to give up and hope that would help someone. I was making a difference, and the proof was on my Wanted posters.

“We…” Vincent spoke up weakly, “We gotta get going.”

Bracing myself, I turned my head to find everyone looking to me. Even Carrot Top was no longer upset, but more accepting that I had stopped her. Everyone else eyed me like I would blow up in their face as soon as they moved. A sigh escaped my lips. I was already tired, and the night had only begun.

“Then let’s go,” I said with a nod. The others lingered a moment before heading for the doorway, still keeping a wary eye on me. Carrot Top remained still, staring at the floor as I approached her. “Hey,” she looked up to me, “Thank you. That… meant a lot.”

She gave a smile, one that was either forced or genuine. It was small enough to be either of them. “What are friends…” she hesitated, frowning for half a second before her smile came back. She was definitely forcing that one. “What are friends for?”

I wrapped an arm around her, drawing her close, “For when we need a hug.”

She didn’t hesitate for a moment to return that hug. Her fur was still soft too.

{~+~}

“Whoa,” I said, my eyes traveling over the large room. The whole building must have been that one room! An open, two story room with balconies along both sides. It even had bridges connecting them! If the mansion the party was being held in was built before the invasion, then Equestria must have been loaded on money to spend it on stuff like that.

And the atmosphere, holy shit, the atmosphere! Warm yellow lighting from the lofty chandeliers gave everything a beautiful glow. There wasn’t much furniture, but the long tables were expertly crafted and covered with stylized food.

The music complimented the setting. Gentle sounds of a piano weaved around the room, acting like a pacifier to all the attendees. I couldn’t even remember when I heard music like that. It just made everything feel more calm and thoughtful.

I was blown away by the elegance. It wasn’t stuffy or uptight, but relaxing and meaningful. The general chatter in the room was tame, and everyone that I could see were having a pleasant time, even the Ponies. They all smiled, they all laughed, they all enjoyed each other’s company.

Everything almost made me forget that Equestria was invaded. Almost.

And with that, my appreciation degraded into a passing interest. I was sure everyone would be having a truly good time, if the knowledge of enslavement wasn’t hanging over their heads. Even still, it was nice while it lasted, and the room - it was more of a ballroom than a regular room - still captured my attention.

“I always forget how liberal nobles are with their money,” Twilight noted. Looking down to my side, I didn’t see a hint of disdain. Her eyes twinkled as she admired the room. “Some of them can make some amazing places. And share it with everypony.”

“Well, I don’t think Blueblood is the type,” Vincent added, adjusting his bow tie again. I had to wonder if it was part of his nervous habit. “Though, everyone does seem to be pretty chipper.”

“Makes you wonder if having the entrance price so low had anything to do with it,” Carrot Top put in, stepping forward into the room. She twirled around, her dress flowing as she gazed above to the underside of a bridge. Even that had a beautiful design to it. I was reminded of Medieval times; all swirly with deep red and purple colors. The room always had something new.

“Should we split up?” Vincent asked, turning to me with a raised brow. Twilight and Carrot Top did the same as I contemplated. The room was full of people, a couple guards around the walls, and there was no sign of Rarity or Blueblood. I half expected to spot the Baron, but I didn’t have a clue what he looked like. It scared me, knowing a false move at the wrong time could ruin everything.

I was more uneasy from the fact that we couldn’t bring our weapons. A part of the code of the city or something like that. I didn’t like it one bit, but I didn’t want to have to explain why I was armed for a friendly gathering.

However, there wasn’t too much worry about getting found out. No one had blinked an eye at our arrival, and I didn’t see a reason why the guards would push around a Pony in a place like this. “Yeah, alright,” I said, stepping closer to Carrot Top as I turned to the other two, “Doesn’t look too dangerous.”

“Oh goodness!” Vincent exaggerated, his hands on his cheeks as his eyes widened mockingly, “What if someone were to jump us? How would we ever survive?”

“Fuck you,” I chuckled.

He chuckled back, “It’s a party, Nolan. Manehattan’s had lots of them after the invasion. Most of the people here are Pony supporters too.”

“And yet,” I sighed, hands on my hips as I gazed around, seeing the cheery expressions on everyone’s faces. “It’s being held by someone who betrayed his own species.”

“Point taken,” Vincent replied before rushing over to throw a hand over my shoulder, “But lighten up!” He glanced around before getting closer and whispered, “We’ll find Rarity, don’t worry. It’ll be a cinch, easy as pie!”

I raised a brow at Twilight, who raised a hoof in a shrug. Carrot Top was busy scanning over the room, her face much more determined. Damn, she was already getting busy. The party did last for a couple of hours, we had plenty of time to unwind a bit as we searched for Rarity. Plus, I had never attended such a prestigious party before.

“Speaking of pie,” Vincent said, slipping away, “I’ll start looking over by the buffet table. I’ve waited hours to eat!”

A thought occurred to me. I grabbed his shoulder before he could bolt, leaning my head in as I looked off to the side. The subject was touchy, but it needed to be addressed. The way he smiled just made it that much harder.

“Is your PTSD going to come up?” I questioned. It was a harsh way to put it, but I wanted to get it over with. Vincent frowned ever so slightly, raising my worries. His next words weren’t comforting either.

“Don’t know,” he grumbled. It was hard to tell if he was mad at me for bringing it up, or at himself. I wanted it to be the latter, not for my sake, but because I wanted our emotions to match. If his condition was going to put us in jeopardy, then I needed to know so I could come up with something if he did… lose it. Just phrasing it that way made me feel guilty. Even still, what he provided only made me nervous instead of calculative.

“I have faith in him, Nolan,” Twilight interrupted, her voice brokering no argument. She was using her princess tone again. It wasn’t difficult to notice her change in pitch when she was determined. “Can’t you do the same?”

“I trust him too,” I said back. The words rang in my head, and whatever I wanted to say next died. Sighing, I patted Vincent’s shoulder as a silent apology, and though he didn’t respond, he could have easily brushed it off. That was something at least.

“You won’t keep friends if you ask them questions like that,” Twilight warned. If she kept up with that demeanor, she could have been my mom.

“I had to make sure,” I explained.

Twilight shook her head, “It doesn’t matter. I’ve learned that you have to trust your friends, because they trust you.”

Vincent hurried over to the buffet table, stepping past people and Ponies in his rush. To think a goofball like him had PTSD. It was saddening, knowing he had that linked to him like a prison chain. My worry for our sakes should have been directed to him. Treating him like a bomb that could go off was definitely the wrong idea.

Before I could say something on that regard, Twilight walked off, holding her head high as she took deliberate steps. She was far more experienced than I was in the atmosphere. Probably had something to do with being a princess. And her advice with friends almost sounded like it came from a children’s book. Hell, maybe she was an expert on friendship.

As a distracting afterthought, her dress covered her wings very nicely.

“Can I stick with you?” Carrot Top requested, nudging me with a hoof. I didn’t know if she overheard that whole conversation, but I was glad she didn’t bring it up. I already felt bad for what I said to Vincent. “I wouldn’t mind spending more time with you.”

“It would be easier to find Rarity separately,” I whispered, eyeing several individuals. I had to get my mind back on track, and watching the different types of people was welcoming. There wasn’t many striking features on any of them. The Ponies were far more unique, with their coats, dresses, and suits. A part of me considered that the Humans were jealous of the Ponies’ natural flair. It was definitely something better than the Humans could pull off.

“Right, no time for friends,” Carrot Top muttered.

“It’s not about us,” I snapped back, facing her. She had to know the importance of our mission. We could relax a little, but we needed to cover as much ground as possible. “We just need to keep a look out of Rarity, and we’ll find her quicker if we split up.”

“I know,” Carrot Top sighed, kicking her forehoof along the floor dejectedly. “It’s just I like…” She shuffled closer to my side, resting her head against me. “I want to be close to you. I feel better when I know you're by my side.”

I wanted to flat out tell her that we had to put our feelings aside, but my gut wouldn’t let me. It enjoyed the way she refused to leave me, and wanted to stick by her too. Jeez, my stomach was a mess, like a butterfly was going berzerk. A diversion was what I needed, and I had an idea how to achieve it.

“Your eyes match your dress very nicely,” I said, my voice trembling slightly. I thought a compliment would ease my tension, but after saying it, my heart was racing, my face heating up. Carrot Top was just as bad, a blush growing on her cheeks as she pawed at the floor.

It was only after a few seconds had passed did I realize how pathetic my compliment was.

“Smooth,” a woman said with a hint of a giggle. I turned to the person, finding a dark skinned woman, wearing an elegant black dress reaching down to her knees. Her hair was puffy, running down her back. After looking at her blue eyes, she gave a playful look as she held up two wine glasses filled with a golden brown drink.

“I know I’m hot, you don’t have to check,” she flirted with a smirk. I didn’t know I was checking her out in that way. Embarrassment filled my already uneasy stomach, and I averted my gaze while cupping a hand over my eyes. Damn it, why did my body have to turn against me?

“I’m just teasing,” she laughed. I peeked through hands to see her hold out one of her drinks, a much more easy going smile on her lips. Tentatively, I accepted the glass, my face still hot.

“It’s apple cider,” she pointed out, taking a sip of her own drink. “Non-alcoholic. I figured you could use something to cool yourself off.”

“Thanks,” I mumbled. I was having a hard time getting words out. Taking a drink, the liquid opened up my throat, and I took a deep breath to ease my nerves. When was the last time I had been on edge when I wasn’t in the middle of a fire fight? “What’s your name?”

“Emma,” she said, and I nearly dropped my drink, spilling some of the contents. My nerves were back in full force.

“Easy there,” Carrot Top said, using a hoof to tilt my hand to even the drink out. She was right. I couldn’t get emotional every time I heard that name. After all, it only put a firm hold on my heart… no biggy.

“Oh, I’m sorry,” Emma apologized to Carrot Top, putting her hand on her chest. She was awfully sincere, but she wasn’t sarcastic about it. I was just glad the attention was off of myself. “Did you want a drink? I just saw him getting all flustered and thought he could use one.”

“No, I’m good,” Carrot Top waved off politely. “I know how Nolan can get sometimes.”

“Nolan, huh?” she said turning her eyes back to me as her hand wrapped around her waist. “Nice name. And you’re pretty nice yourself.”

“Didn’t really think I was a nice guy,” I said, my eyes flicking to the carpet.

“I wasn’t really talking about your attitude,” she explained, and when I glanced back to her, she had a sultry look in her eye that made me jerk my head back. It wasn’t that I was surprised - it was a part of it - but that she would advance on me so soon. I couldn’t recall if other women had hit on me back on Earth. If they did, I was oblivious to their charms, too focused on the loss of Emma to even consider another relationship. With this Emma, however, my mind was going blank on how to properly respond.

“He’s not interested,” Carrot Top said hastily, holding a hoof in front of her. That summed up what I had in mind. Props for picking up on that. Though she didn’t need to look like she was about to stab someone.

Emma chuckled, “You guys really can’t take a joke.”

Considering the real reason for being at the party, we were more on edge than usual. A shame I couldn’t relate any of this to her, she was actually pretty friendly. However, Carrot Top was still glaring at Emma. A spark of anger was directed at her. Did she really need to get on this woman’s back?

“Carrot Top,” I snapped, causing her to turn her glare to me. “Calm down.”

My words caused her to recoil her head back, as if her actions had finally caught up with her. Emma looked between us, her eyes studying us instead of taking offense to Carrot Top’s behavior. Then her gaze landed on Carrot Top before she gave a sly smile.

“You two would make a cute couple,” she noted with an affirming nod.

For the second time, I nearly spilt my drink. It was out of the blue, and my mind hadn’t thought of a Pony and I being together. I wasn’t even sure what to think about that! I drank more of the cider, wishing it really was alcohol to hide the heat on my cheeks. A glance towards Carrot Top eased my tension, as she was far more uncomfortable than I was. Hell, her blush nearly encompassed her entire face.

“W-What makes you say that?” Carrot Top stuttered, rolling the last word like it was a joke. She even had a smile that she used to hide her anxiety. Emma had a knowing smile on her face as she put a hand on her hip. At that point, she was just playing with us. I didn’t know if she could tell if someone was easy to fluster or not, but she was definitely messing with us really easily.

“I’d like to speak with Carrot Top alone for a moment,” Emma stated, turning to me respectively. “You don’t mind do you?”

I wondered why she had to ask me that, but I remembered Carrot Top was supposed to be my ‘slave’ for the party. That thought made me cringe internally.

“Sure, be my guest,” I said, gesturing to her. Carrot Top wasn’t put off by how she was referred to, but did grimace slightly; her face was still red. I was thankful she didn’t get even angrier at Emma. She was a nice girl, if a bit over the top with her pranks.

“Thank you,” Emma said, before taking a step to the side, revealing a Pony I had no idea was behind her. “This is Lyra. Could you watch her for a moment? She doesn’t like being around Humans, and I think she could use the good exposure.”

That must have been the most subtle compliment I had ever received. I couldn’t say no after hearing that, even if I was searching for someone else. Then again, the state of the poor Pony - a Unicorn - didn’t make me feel better. Her pale green body shook like crazy, her eyes darting around. She had a black music note in her white and cyan mane, complimenting her black dress. The two of them must have chosen to wear the same type of dress.

Emma gave a small wave as she ushered Carrot Top away. She was covering up her face with a hoof as she hobbled away with her other hooves. I wasn’t sure if she was hiding it from me, but if she was, it was a bit late. Left with Lyra, I saw her quiver even harder, her eyes wide as she remained rooted to her spot.

“What’s got you nervous?” I questioned, wondering if she would have an aneurysm from all her shaking. I mean, jeez, I didn’t even think Fluttershy was as bad as her.

“Why?” she wheezed out at last, her legs drawing closer to each other as she clamped her eyes shut. “Why-why-why-why-why? She knows I hate this…”

“Not a fan of Humans?” I asked, trying hard not to sound annoyed. The Ponies had their reasons, but with all these good Humans running around the city, I couldn’t imagine a mare like Lyra getting skittish around us.

“I don’t know how to do hoofjobs!” she blurted, her eyes whipped up to me in panic. “Or blowjobs or-or anything like that! I’ve never even… done it with anyone!”

Jesus, she was a wreck. I had half a mind to scold her for thinking I would even consider doing any of that shit with her. Luckily, my rationality took prominence as I took a step back, holding up a hand.

“I’m not going to do any of that,” I promised slowly, giving her a wide berth. Distance was always the key with situations like this. It helped in hostage situations, and it would help here. However, Lyra glanced to a passing man, and though he barely looked our way, she still flinched when he came close.

“It’s more for everyone,” she whispered, her ears folding back as she shrunk down. I was curious what she had went through to have to announce her experience in sex. Everybody had a horror story to share regarding the Humans, and I had to wonder if I had scarred someone like that.

Then I remembered Lightning Dust. What little guilt had accumulated from my thoughts evaporated instantly.

“Nolan!” Twilight hushed as she skidded to a halt in front of me, making Lyra squeak in fright as she jumped back. She relaxed when she saw who it was, clamping her mouth shut afterwards like she had swallowed whatever words had brimmed in her mouth. “I found Blueblood!”

A breath of air escaped me as a smile grew, “Nice, alright, let’s go.”

Twilight nodded curtly before bounding off, juking through the throngs of people, much to their annoyance. Before I did the same, I faced Lyra, who had her head tilted to the side, furrowing her brow.

“Why… why would Twilight be interested in Blueblood?” She asked, staring ahead like the air itself had an answer.

“Just take my drink and wait here,” I ordered, causing her to flinch again before grabbing my drink with her magic. I didn’t wait for a response before taking off, nearly bumping into a woman in my haste. Sidling, shuffling, and rounding through people was tough, especially while keeping track of Twilight. Her fleeting mane was all I could see, and there were times where it disappeared in the crowd. But I kept up my pace.

There were several eyes on me, but I ignored them; I didn’t have the time to worry over who was watching me when I could lose Twilight in a moment’s notice. And by the time Twilight stopped, it took me precious seconds to reach her still. We weren’t on the clock, but with how we had rushed through the room, breezing by attendees, I could smell the suspicion in the air. And it was stuffy.

Laying my eyes on Blueblood, who resided at the corner of the room, I had to process what I was seeing. He was exactly how the poster depicted: white coat with golden locks, perfectly trimmed and combed. He was bigger than I had thought, with a Cutie Mark of a compass rose. What really left me in a state of shock was not from any of that, but with the company he kept.

Grayson, Carrot Top’s ex-owner, and Megan, the warden of the foal prison.

Manehattan was just one big wondrous reunion.

They hadn’t seen our abrupt entrance, too enthralled in their own conversation to pay either of us any mind. I wanted to think they just liked listening to their own words, the way they regarded themselves. Holding themselves up, as if superior to not only Ponies but other Humans too. Although I did get immense satisfaction in seeing Grayson still using his wooden cane. The brown suit he wore was mediocre to say the least, and Megan wore a suit of her own, still as tan as I remembered.

From the three of them, Blueblood had my attention the longest. He wasn’t exactly what I was expecting. I didn’t get the feeling of arrogance that I had thought I would have, but instead, enthusiasm. His smile never faltered, and he was giddy with excitement. It was uncanny.

“Let’s go,” Twilight announced stepping forward, and I was able to look to her for a brief moment before holding out a hand to stop her. She gave me a small glare, with more confusion that actual agitation. “What’s wrong?”

“A plan,” I emphasised, turning away to hide my face from the three, “You know, something instead of just blindly walking up to them.”

“We just ask him where Rarity is,” Twilight stated brightly, straightening up like it was so clear, “What’s so difficult about that?”

I wouldn’t be surprised if she had never partaken in espionage. That plan had so many flaws, I doubted there was enough time in the night to explain it to her. It took me a moment to think up an appropriate response before holding up a hand to restrain myself from saying something much worse.

“No,” I said flatly. She held her head back in bewilderment before I continued, “First off, Megan has seen me without my mask. I’m not sure if she’ll remember, but I imagine she had her suspicions. And besides that, if we go straight up to them and ask where Rarity is, that’ll make things worse. We need subtlety.”

Twilight absorbed all of this, her face hardened as she hummed, “Blueblood knows who I am. He’s the nephew to Princess Celestia, remember? He’s sure to recognize me.”

“Seriously?” I asked, tilting my head, “He knows you and you don’t bring it up until now? How is Blueblood even a nephew to-?” I took a deep breath, I didn’t want a full lesson on the heritage of Celestia. “Forget it. For the time being, I need to get to Blueblood to have him slip where Rarity is.”

“Then I’ll distract the Humans,” Twilight declared with a nod, searching around. I shook my head at her tactic. There was no way a distraction was just going to come out of the blue. Then she beamed, “Vincent! Perfect!”

I faced the direction she was looking, only to find Vincent eating a cupcake. Well, eating wasn’t very accurate, more on the lines of
inhaling. Scanning the table, there was a notable lack of food on several serving trays. He really had been holding out for the party food.

Well, at the end of night, if we weren’t caught as conspirators against the Human occupation, we could definitely be accused of being freeloaders.

Twilight galloped over to him, brimming with tenacity. I didn’t have a clue what she had in mind, but turning back to the other three, they didn’t seem like they could be very easily distracted. There were so engrossed with each other, there was no way we could get them apart without the whole party blowing up along with them.

But Twilight was smarter than me. A plan had to be bubbling up in her head. I just wished she had shared it with me.

“My fine fellow!” someone said with glee, suddenly wrapping an arm around me and squeezing me uncomfortably. Surprised, I hesitated a response as I eyed the man way too close to me. Top Hat, brown jacket, and jeans. He could have come straight from his work in that get-up. His smile made me want to push him away as far as possible. Especially with that damn gray beard of his.

“Can I help you?” I asked, hoping he picked up on my distain.

“I just noticed you had no tie,” the man said, “And I thought, ‘Gee! This man is like me! Free from the constraints of a tie!’ But then I remembered I love bow ties.”

“Fascinating,” I deadpanned, urging myself not to punch him in the face. “Any other reason you want to bother me?”

“Surely you heard my piano playing,” he said suggestively, wiggling his eyebrows as he broke away from me, thankfully. My breaths were hard to ease as the thought of him getting close again gripped my stomach. I hoped he kept his distance. “What am I saying? Of course, you did! As several other piano enthusiasts try to achieve, it had a mixture of order and chaos to lighten the place up without it being boring.”

I groaned, “I don’t care. Go play more piano if you love it so much.”

“Very well,” the man sighed in defeat, holding up both of his hands as if preparing to be handcuffed. His sudden disinterest made me ponder if he even wanted to speak with me in the first place. “You should focus on whatever is on your little mind. The Baron will be here soon, and trust me, you’ll need to finish whatever it is you’re doing before you meet him!”

Okay, that was very awkwardly worded. School must have been one of those things he skipped in life, along with showers. If he hadn’t pulled away when he did, I would have suffocated. And his voice brought up memories that I wanted to push as far back as possible. Though, what memories those were, I hadn’t a clue. It was odd, to be sure.

There was a splat behind me as Megan cursed, “Damn it!”

Casually looking over, staying as inconspicuous as possible, the origin of the splat was not difficult to find. After all, it covered the front of her. A fine mixture of white and green frosting. Oh, how I would have loved to revel in her distress. The way she shook in anger was already a great sight to behold.

“That certainly brings up some bad memories,” Blueblood stated with a wince. His voice was something I wanted to hear less of. Screw what I said earlier, this guy was arrogant to his very fiber. His tone was testament enough.

Megan grunted in disapproval, splaying her hands out away from the mess, “It’s more than likely a Unicorn with bad taste.” Or an Alicorn with great aim. Twilight really did pull through with that distraction, and though it was a bit crude, I couldn’t agree with it more. “I’ll get the guards to keep an eye out for a mischief maker.”

I’ll get the guards,” Grayson said, holding up a hand to stop her, “You get cleaned up.” She gave a curt nod before sauntering off, trying to play off the mess on her suit. Grayson gave a brief smirk, his eyes trailing to the floor. I ground my teeth, resisting the urge to wipe it off his face. Oh, he’s courteous to other women, but not a mare begging for her life? Fuck him.

Blueblood stepped next to him, a hoof on his chest, “I do apologize for the inconvenience. I am the host of this party, and such behavior is frowned upon.”

“I understand how difficult it is to stay in control,” Grayson waved off, making me relish in that fact. “I suppose I’ll have to get back to you on that proposal regarding the slaves in Ponyville.”

I wished I had paid more attention to their earlier conversation. That would have been an interesting thing to listen into, if only to crush whatever proposal they were referring to. Regardless, Grayson hobbled away, using his cane to support most of his weight. I wasn’t sure why his legs were giving him trouble. I was sure I had shot him in the waist back in Ponyville.

“Hello there,” Blueblood welcomed, causing me to jump slightly. I raised my brow, ignoring the jolt of adrenaline pumping through my veins. Blueblood acted friendly, his smile a lot bigger than I would have anticipated. “Were you waiting to speak with me? How considerate.”

I hesitated, differentiating the answer between what I wanted to spout versus what I needed to say, “Yeah, sure was. I’ve heard stories, but I didn't think I’d get to meet… you.”

Looking him over again, I was not the least bit surprised I had paused. Even though he was bigger than most other Ponies, he was still frail, like a kid could just kick his leg and he would get all dramatic over it. Despite his physical appearance, his demeanor was jarring. I swore he was biding for something.

“Ah, I get that a lot,” he stated nonchalantly, “My reputation precedes me.”

“That’s something I wanted to ask,” I said, straining my voice so I didn’t sound accusatory. It was really hard not to yell in his face for what he had done. “Exactly how did you get all of this after you…? You know.”

“Sold out Princess Luna and the other Ponies of Canterlot?” he asked, closing his eyes as if replaying the events. He was far more distant than I had anticipated. The way he phrased it also caught my attention. It was as harsh as I would have put it, actually. Blueblood glanced outside before facing me again, steeling himself. “It was a necessary action. Those Ponies were heading to their own self destruction.”

“How?” I asked gravely. Blueblood blinked at my sudden attitude before I cleared my throat, “I mean, how so? I’m sure they thought they could seek shelter away from the Humans.”

Blueblood remained quiet as he eyed me for a moment. I brushed my arm, pretending not to care that he was examining me every which way. He shook it off, grunting. “I have seen what you Humans are capable of. What lengths you all go to for victory. It is not pleasant. Not in the least. Even if I was saving my own fur, anyone who resists is brutally beaten. I am sure that if I had not told the Baron about Luna and the others, they would have met a much worse fate.”

I would have rebutted that argument, but I wasn’t around during the invasion. Maybe the Humans were far more severe back then. That, and I didn’t want to blow my cover. Nevertheless, Blueblood thought what he did was for the best, and though it did save himself, his intentions did-… well, I actually couldn’t say if what he did was right or wrong. The only Ponies I knew of that was part of that company was Rarity, Fluttershy, and Luna.

I owed her an apology too.

“And two of the Elements of Harmony were with Princess Luna as well!” Blueblood exclaimed, holding a hoof to his head in dismay. I couldn’t tell if it was fake or not. “I can’t even imagine the state they would be in if they had gotten away, only to have the Humans find them later.”

Oh, I didn’t need to imagine what would happen to Fluttershy. As angry as the topic made me, it got us on the subject, which was exactly what I needed.

“Elements of Harmony?” I questioned, slipping a hand into my pocket to look more refined. At least, I hoped that’s what it looked like. “You mean the Elements of Harmony?”

Blueblood nodded, “I am surprised you’ve heard of them. Such information rarely makes it out of Canterlot. Most Humans don’t even believe they exist. Too fantastical, they say.”

He scoffed as I hummed to myself. I was genuinely in thought about this new piece of information. If the Humans didn’t believe in the Elements of Harmony - both the jewelry Twilight described and the six mares themselves - then it would explain why they weren’t top priority among the Humans. And why Fluttershy, Applejack, and Rarity were all in different places under different ownerships. Speaking of which…

“I’ve also heard you have a very… fine mare with you,” I said, swallowing afterword. It was not easy to stay in character like I did. It just didn’t feel right in the least. “I believe her name is Rarity?”

“You are correct,” Blueblood said before chuckling, leaning closer to myself, “You and several others are envious. I can tell. And yes, she’s very good in bed.”

Okay, too much info. I had to look away to hide my grimace. Luckily, he didn’t really suspect much from it.

“Heh, you won’t find her around,” he explained, gesturing to the balcony hugging the far wall. “She’s still in our room, powdering her nose, I’m sure.”

That was all I needed.

“Very interesting,” I said with a nod, smiling as I threw a thumb over my shoulder. “I’m expecting a friend soon, so I hope you don’t mind if I look for him.”

“But of course!” Blueblood smiled, nodding furiously. “The auction will be starting soon, and no one should miss that. Having these Ponies sold to good Humans will do some good for everyone.”

I gave him a funny look before hastily turning away. It certainly didn’t warm my heart knowing that the Ponies were still enslaved. What bothered me more than that though was how he treated his fellow Ponies as slaves. Being royalty, I was sure he was used to Ponies bowing at his every whim, but he acted like all of this was normal. Like it was supposed to be that way.

Shaking it off, I stepped through the crowd of Humans and Ponies, making my way to the buffet table where Twilight and Vincent were still at. No sign of Carrot Top, but I was sure I could find her when I got a hold of Rarity. As long as it wasn’t a hasty escape. My vision was dominated by purple eyes as Twilight practically jumped onto my chest.

“Did you find her? Did you find her?” she asked, somehow able to keep her voice down over her excitement. Seriously, her smile could have melted hearts, and it nearly did mine as I gently pushed her off. Vincent, thankfully, wasn’t nearly as intrusive as he waited nearby.

“Not exactly,” I answered honestly, “But I know where to find her. Blueblood said she was in their room, probably somewhere on the second floor.”

“That is oddly specific,” Vincent said, crossing his arms. It was at that point I noticed frosting near one of his lips.

“It’s more of an assumption,” I clarified, looking around, “Most master bedrooms in mansions like this are on the second floor. Have you guys seen Carrot Top?”

“Wasn’t she with you?” Twilight asked, and I shook my head with a sigh. No luck with that. She was with Emma when we seperated, and I doubt Emma was a Pony serial killer, so the two of them must have been somewhere in the room.

“I’ll look around for her,” Vincent announced, already stepping away as he pointed to us. “You two get Rarity. We’ll be set by the time you get back.”

Twilight and I nodded before setting off, and we didn’t get far before I turned to her, “By the way, nice work with that distraction. I didn’t think you were the type to throw a cupcake.”

“Throw a cupcake?” Twilight asked, tilting her head. “I never threw any cupcake. You were already talking with Blueblood before I could come up with any distraction.”

“But then where…?” I started before trailing off, shaking my head. It was a confusing, and admittedly scary, sentiment to know Twilight had never thrown any cupcake. But the plan had worked, and no one was the wiser. I was willing to set aside the mystery in favor of getting to Rarity.

{~+~}

“You sure this is the door?” Twilight questioned skeptically, gesturing to the door. Her doubting look was killing me. Every door we had checked held no success. The first few doors had met the might of my foot, with my breaching skills getting some action. Yet there was so many rooms that it was a miracle that we hadn’t gotten lost. It was even more of a miracle they were all devoid of any guards. Somehow, I didn’t think the excuse of looking for the bathroom would resonate well with them. And with Twilight alongside me, it would definitely give them the wrong idea. Just treading on that idea made me shiver.

The main room, though huge, was only the tip of the iceberg. Several hallways branched through the mansion, stretching every which way with dozens of doors. The mansion back in Cloudsdale was a dollhouse compared to this one. Some rooms had obvious themes, like an office or a bedroom, but there were several ridiculous ones like a room full of paintings of Blueblood and another with a therapy couch.

With the final door in front of us, what with every other door knocked open, all I could do was stare at Twilight with a blank expression. She got the idea, as she turned away, possibly hiding a smirk. Her wings fluttered underneath her dress. Either I was right about that assumption or I was making her uncomfortable. I didn’t really care.

Clutching my hands, feeling the skin of my hands, I knew this was it. And I didn’t hesitate to step over and throw the door open. It slammed against the wall and a lady-like grunt was heard somewhere inside.

“If that’s you, Blueblood, I am still not ready,” A mare said hotly. Her voice was refined, and definitely had some hint of a British accent. “These things take time, and you must be patient.”

“Rarity!” Twilight breathed, the stress that had built over the night washing away as she surged into the room. I glanced down the hallway before following behind, shutting the door silently. There was no way I was going to let some wandering guard ruin this entire operation.

The room was grand, having a four poster bed that rose all the way to the ceiling. A veil of red curtains hide the actual bed within. Like most of the mansion, dark wood made up the walls as a seated window displayed the street just outside. Alex and the others were still there, and a part of me wished I could wave at them. Even from this distance, I could tell they were antsy for some activity.

“There you are!” Twilight exclaimed, putting my attention on the door opposite the one we came through. It was ajar, showing its white interior; the bathroom, most likely. “I… I can’t believe we found you. It’s been months!”

A feeling of accomplishment swelled in my chest as I stayed in the bedroom, holding my hands behind me. Rarity was Twilight’s friend, and it was only right they reunited by themselves.

“Oh,” Rarity said, sounding far less ecstatic than Twilight. “You sure took your time.”

I rolled my eyes; Rarity must be the pampered type. I was not filled in on that little detail. Studying the room around, I noted a large painting just to the side of the door. It was nearly as big as the window, and only depicted Blueblood and who I assumed was Rarity. Both were smiling as they held hooves, wearing regalia I would have found in some seventeenth century paintings.

“Why are you hugging me?” Rarity asked. I raised my brow, turning away from the painting.

“Well, duh!” Twilight responded, “We’re best friends!”

“I do not recall a maid being my best friend,” Rarity stated flatly.

I was dumbfounded.

“Maid?” Twilight asked. I wasn’t the only one, as it would seem. “I’m not a maid, I’m Twilight Sparkle. Come on, Rarity, there’s no time to joke around.”

“I could be saying the same to you!” Rarity snapped back, “Coming in here and declaring yourself my best friend. Although, your dress does look smashing on you.”

“Thanks?” Twilight responded, “But Rarity… don’t you recognize me?”

“I certainly do not,” Rarity declared with the clop of a hoof, completely baffling me. Was this the wrong Pony? No, the painting showed that Blueblood and Rarity were together. A white hoof pushed open the door as a mare trotted out, wearing a pink bathrobe. She was facing behind her at Twilight who was sticking close to her. Rarity wasn’t pleased in the slightest.

“Now, I would appreciate it if you took your leave,” Rarity demanded, holding out a hoof towards the door as she held up her nose. “As fabulous as that dress is - especially how well it goes with your coat - I must have some privacy to prepare for the party.”

“W-What?” Twilight whispered. If I was able to see her heart, I was sure it had split in two at that very moment. Her mouth was agape, her ears splayed back, and her eyes were getting misty.

Rarity gave her a sideways glance before turning to the room, and to me. She jumped as her eyes fixated on my own. I was shocked too, and not just from the her bizarre behavior. The portrait of her didn’t give her justice. She was… beautiful. I couldn’t deny that she looked pretty. I never thought I could see a Pony as more than cute, but her mane and tail were stylized to perfection, and her white coat was flawless. I didn't think there was anyone else more pristine than her.

“Absolutely not!” Rarity yelled, sounding more dainty with each sentence as a faint blush flowered on her cheeks, “I am not your typical mare that you can just play around with and leave in the morning! I am a lady, and the only stallion I need is Blueblood the True Helper.”

“Rarity, this is not funny!” Twilight yelled, at the end of her rope. Who could blame her? This was supposed to be one of her best friends, and Rarity didn’t know her at all. She rolled her eyes, furrowing her brow as she glanced back and forth between us.

“The two of you have nine seconds to leave before I call for someone,” she hissed through clenched teeth.

“Twilight,” I called, moving to a position to block the door, “What’s wrong with her?”

“I-I don’t know!” Twilight said, her voice cracking, trotting beside Rarity as she looked to Rarity’s horn. She squinted her eyes at it, causing Rarity to jerk her head back. The next thing I knew, Twilight was holding Rarity’s horn with a hoof as her own horn glowed faintly. It was so unexpected for Rarity that all she could do was make sounds akin to words.

“Wh-it-ak-puh!” she stammered before knocking Twilight’s hoof away, jumping back as she lowered her head. “Keep your hoof to yourself, you ruffian! It needs to stay spotless for Blueblood.” She rubbed her head, avoiding her horn as much as possible while pouting, “It’s his favorite.”

“Answers!” I ordered, getting freaked out. Twilight was at a lost, looking in random directions, searching around in her big brain of hers. This couldn’t stump her, she’s tackled worse problems before. I was correct as Twilight gasped, like the solution had slapped her across the cheek.

“No,” she muttered before shaking her head repeatedly, “No, no, no, no!”

She lowered her head so it was resting on the floor, covering it with her hooves as her breathing turned erratic. That was never a good sign. “Well, what is it?” I questioned cautiously, hoping the answer wasn’t too severe.

“Her memory has been replaced,” Twilight revealed, popping her head back up, panic stricken. “Everything… everything before the replacement has been changed or distorted. If she doesn’t know who I am, then she doesn’t know who Applejack is or-or Rainbow Dash or-” Twilight covered her mouth with a hoof, her eyes watering. “Or Sweetie Belle.”

“Fuck,” I said, feeling the weight of all of this.

“Language, Human,” Rarity said, before looking to the side, “Honestly, nopony these days can get by without a Human slipping a profanity or two.”

Ignoring her, I walked closer to Twilight, fear tearing down the relief that I had worked hard to achieve. “What does that mean for us?” I asked, “For the Elements of Harmony?”

“I don’t know!” Twilight yelled, frustrated with my questions. Probably more frustrated that she didn’t know the answers, “I’m not sure how it would affect anything right now! The spell used on her-”

“Whoa, whoa,” I held up my hands, “Spell? Someone did this to her on purpose?”

“Yes,” Twilight stressed, hyperventilating. She was going to pass out at this rate. “It’s called the Supplanter spell. It takes away the memories of a Pony and puts in artificial memories created by the caster.”

Eyeing the painting on the wall, I crossed my arms, gripping them tightly, “Did Blueblood do it?”

“No one should have been able to do it!” Twilight yelled, stomping a hoof, “Only the princesses know of the spell! And I didn’t feel a trace of magic from Princess Celestia or Princess Luna. Not even Blueblood’s!”

There were too many blanks to fill from this turmoil. I can make presumptions, like magic leaving traces from the caster or whatever, but what’s this secrecy with the spell? And who was able to cast it in the first place if not Blueblood!? Slapping a hand over my eyes, I tried to refocus myself and forget it for the time being, but the outcome of our mission, or even the entire Pony rebellion was at stake. The Elements of Harmony might have been affected, and if they were… then I might not be able to get home.

Such a selfish thought when in comparison to Twilight. Her friend didn’t even know her, and I was worried about getting home!?

“Guards!” Rarity shouted, tearing through the doorway. Twilight and I flinched, as her body disappeared around the corner and down the hallway. “Come quickly! There are nicely-dressed intruderrrrrrs!”

“Damnit all!” I cursed as I gave chase. This was the type of disaster I didn’t need, yet life found a way anyway. Except a lot more people were going to get hurt, in more ways than one, because someone - some Unicorn - thought to fiddle with the memories of another. One thing bugged me the most.

Besides Blueblood, there was another Unicorn working with the Humans.