• Published 26th Jun 2013
  • 748 Views, 9 Comments

Maremagnum - The6thMaster



Years before the return of the Elements of Harmony the beginning of the end of the millennium of peace under the sole rule of Celestia was already beginning to occur. At the center are Shining Armor and Cadence.

  • ...
0
 9
 748

4. Shining Armor

Shining Armor didn't have anywhere to go the next day. The banquet held for one 'Princess Mi Amore Cadenza', whoever that was, wouldn't be happening for another couple days and Shining wasn't sure what to do with his free time. Heading back to the Unicorn Academy was just asking to get more grief from Ivory Tower.

So instead he ambled along the busy cobblestone streets of Canterlot with milling ponies of every type, shape and color going about their business. It was a truly beautiful city, he'd lived here most of his life and it was a rare opportunity to see it like this with nowhere to go in a hurry. There was a fairly likely chance that in a few months he'd be off on his career and only get to occasionally stop in during visits. Unimpressive first assignments be damned he knew he'd make the most of it anyway, even if he did end up in the North Pole.

From almost any point in the city one could glance up at the immaculate marble towers of the royal palace of Princess Celestia. It dominated the skyline over Canterlot and having a chance to admire it brought a smile to his face. He could still remember his own momentary history with the palace and the story of how he'd earned his cutie mark.

His trip down memory lane was interrupted by a persistent and moving shadow just above him that was breaking up the daylight. The weather had been scheduled to be completely clear of clouds so that could only mean...Looking up he met the green eyes of a blue Pegasus Stallion who was effortlessly hovering above him.

“My main colt Shining Armor! How are you doing? Unicorn officer school going alright?” Soarin asked, descending and trading friendly hoof bumps with Shining who couldn't quite keep the surprise at seeing an old friend off of his face.

“Its been alright. When did you get into Canterlot? I thought you were training with the Wonder-Bolts.” He asked, certainly happy to see a buddy he'd made while in guard basic training.

Soarin laughed at that, flaring his wings and taking up off of the ground to do some lazy loops in the air. “I was, but we got called up for something else with my squadron wing. The brass is being all tight lipped about it, its probably something awesome though. Maybe the Griffons are going to attack.”

Shining was a little skeptical of that happening, they'd probably be doing a little more then calling up a half dozen Pegasus guards but you never knew with the crazy things the vets in the guards whispered they got to do. “Well I’m sure everypony in Canterlot is going to rest easy knowing Soarin is going to fight off the Griffons.” He started walking on, with Soarin following and shooting him a look of annoyance..

“Oh ha ha, I bet I could still kick your flank if you dropped all your fancy Unicorn magic.” He challenged, grinning even as he spoke.

Shining and Soarin had had a bit of a friendly rivalry going on throughout their time in training, one born out of both being extremely talented in their respective special talents. “Just as soon as you stay on the ground for more then three seconds.”

Soarin gave a dismissive sound, waving him off as he began to backstroke along the air as if it was water. It was that sort of twitchy need to always be flying, always be moving and showing off that Shining Armor believed marked a true athlete and flier. He had to guess it must have been like the occasionally awesome power he could feel emanating from his horn anytime he needed to project shields or use the sort of magic he was especially skilled at.

“You didn't really say how your officer school was, you were bragging all up and down the barracks that you were a shoe in for early promotions. 'I'll be running the entire guard corp in a year.' I think you said.” Soarin changed the subject, the two making their way steadily down the streets led by Shining who didn't have anywhere in particular he wanted to go.

“I...” He started to say, not sure how to even answer that. “Turns out officer training is a lot harder than I'd thought it would be.” He shrugged, glancing away.

Soarin righted himself up, still in the air, and gave a confused look his way. “Really? All those uptight royals actually have to work for their positions? I thought they just bought them.”

“Normally yeah, but I lucked out with a personal mentor who...”

“Who?”

It'd been only a few months ago but at the time Shining Armor had felt remarkably sure of himself. He'd left home after he'd joined the guard through the more normal enlisted process and managed to impress the drill instructors enough to recommend him immediately for the officer training program.

There were a lot of hoops, more and more training when he was given the final leg and 'cushy' part of the training program. It was a tradition surviving from even before the rule of Princess Celestia when the three pony tribes had shared power. The Unicorns had anointed themselves as natural leaders and had vied for top positions with the Pegasi; especially in areas of defense. Without a strong central authority to unite Equestria those seeking command positions among the Unicorns typically became apprentices of skilled elders to justify their command over others.

It was as much a political and social opportunity as it was a chance to learn magic and, with Princess Celestia and the unbroken era of peace that she brought, one that had survived namely for the connections and social prestige it garnered. That was how ponies like 'Prince' Blueblood and others found themselves next to more 'common' Unicorns such as Shining Armor.

The assignments had come down while they were lined up in front of the ancient looking tower of Celestia's School for Gifted Unicorns and those from prestigious families never managed to look surprised at the names of the Professors they were paired with. Not knowing anything about a 'Ivory Tower' Shining Armor had just shrugged and went to the office listed.

He should have known there was going to be trouble when he realized that many of the professors had already been at the assignment to greet their new apprentices while Ivory Tower hadn't been among them. On nudging open the door he was greeted by the sight of the older male scratching away with a quill on a notebook.

Ivory Tower was fairly normal looking for a stallion, with a well kept white mane and blue coat the only thing that marked him was the brown sweater over top a collared shirt complete with a tie. Clothes weren’t always common except on formal occasions and Shining Armor completed his inspection of his new teacher by glancing at his cutie mark which was a golden laurel wreath. He had no idea what that was suppose to signify and closed the door behind him before walking in further.

“Normally ponies ask before letting themselves in.” He spoke up, having never turned to look at Shining Armor even once.

That was a little unnerving and certainly not a friendly or warm greeting. “Sorry...uh, I wasn't sure if I had found the right place. Are you Professor Tower?” He asked, trotting closer and trying to salvage first introductions.

“That would be me.” Was the somewhat curt reply, the Professor spared a glance of his golden eyes towards Shining before giving a little sigh and stopping his writing. “And you must be the most bland looking prospective officer candidate I have ever seen. White coat, dashing good looks and a mark having something to do with protection? I swear Princess Celestia must have a secret lab somewhere that clones ponies like you.” He complained aloud.

Shining Armor had absolutely no idea how one should go about answering things like that but he was slightly offended at what he'd said. “Excuse me?”

Apparently this was a conversation that Ivory Tower was ready for, turning to face Shining while looking bored, like the other male was only an annoyance to the professor. “You're not excused. You are also not from the rich and elite, or else they wouldn't have assigned you to me. Which means that you got here by being especially good at hitting things or perhaps keeping things from getting hit. I do not recognize you which means you did not come to this school which also means that those previously said abilities do not extend above your neck. All of this conspires to make me think you won't make a especially talented officer in our esteemed royal guards. But do not fear, we do not need especially talented
officers. No doubt as you've seen among your peers. Do I have about the right idea?”

Now Shining was getting a little angry, which was surprising because he was pretty sure he should be a lot more upset about the veritable monologue of subtle and outright insults he'd been dealt. The insinuation that he was stupid was the worst one, he hadn't gotten into the school but that didn't mean he wasn't smart. “I don't know who you think you are but-”

“I am a tenured professor and a expert on ancient magical artifacts. I have made a point of obtaining at least a basic understanding of every magical field which is more then can be said for most who would claim to know a thing or two about magic. I am also to be your mentor. I'm not going to give you hugs and kisses every night but I'll make sure you get your dream position of making sure all the outhouses are clean at some distant guard base.” Ivory Tower just turned towards his desk again. “If you want to take a swing at me you wouldn't be the first. But I’ll have you arrested and thrown out of the program. I'll actually kick your flank and then have you arrested and thrown out but you'll come to care about the latter two more then that.”

Shining could hear himself grinding his teeth, he couldn't believe that such a arrogant, know it all, jerk of a pony could even exist. Especially at such high levels of a school. His little sister was suppose to go to this school? Did she ever have this Professor before?

Apart from succeeding in not assaulting Ivory Tower his time spent with the insufferable Professor was hardly improved over the weeks and months. Occasionally the Professor deigned to teach him, usually through humiliating or insulting 'instruction' where he'd lord his admittedly impressive array of magics over Shining, but never with a nice attitude or without various insults thrown Shining's way.

Apart from hating every fiber of Ivory Tower's being Shining Armor had come to enjoy the time spent at the academy. Not all of the officer candidates were stuffy arrogant jerks and he'd even struck up somewhat of a friendship with a Unicorn named Gentle August. Gentle August had the same sort of pure white coat that many of the male officer candidates had, which now faintly annoyed Shining Armor to see as if it somehow validated Ivory Tower's summation, and a styled purple mane. Of all the 'upper crust' type ponies Shining had met, Gentle August was the most tolerable one.

By the time Shining Armor had finished his story to Soarin they'd entered into a out of the way restaurant; were seated, ordered their food and eaten most of it. Soarin hadn't said much, beyond a few questions about things he wanted a little more explanation for, and had only listened. When Shining had finished he gave a little shrug with his wings. “Are most of the new unicorn officers really that big of jerks?”

Shining chuckled, certainly not expecting that sort of question out of all the others he thought Soarin might ask. 'They're not really that much worse then what you'd expect if you had a lot of money and not much else to do with it. It'd be worse if they actually knew a lot about magic.”

“Ah.” Soarin shrugged again and dug into the rest of his food. Shining hadn't expected to dump all of that on his friend like that, it had just sort of spilled out after months of tension. He idly hoped it didn't come across as whining.

“So...how'd Wonder-Bolt training go? Is it true what they say about all the hot mares who try out?” Shining asked, not exactly wanting to dominate the conversation anymore.

That perked Soarin up, who swallowed what was in his mouth and gave him the biggest smile he'd ever seen on the Pegasi. “Oh boy, you have no idea. Let me tell you about this girl I met named Spitfire...”