• Published 20th Jun 2013
  • 9,193 Views, 760 Comments

Technicalities - BionicBrony



After being forced from their home, a master engineer and his AI end up in Twilight's basement, their only desire to rebuild what they lost. Although not everything is as straightforward as it seems...

  • ...
41
 760
 9,193

Reconstruction, Reactivation, and Reanimation

“Don’t worry about it, Fluttershy,” said Pinkie Pie, bouncing alongside the rest of her friends and the human they had all become familiar with. “I’m sure Angel’s gonna turn up eventually!”

“Oh, I’m not worried about that,” Fluttershy responded. “He’s a smart bunny, I know he can take care of himself. It’s just that he’s never usually been out this long…”

“I’m sure he’s just fine, dear,” said Rarity. “So long as he doesn’t go about getting himself into trouble, that is…”

Rainbow Dash, who was hovering alongside them, rolled her eyes. “Yeah, like that’s not gonna happen.”

Fluttershy gasped at her. “Rainbow Dash! I know Angel has a bit of a temper, but he’s a good bunny at heart!”

“No offense, sugarcube,” said Applejack over her shoulder, “but that bunny of yers has got a lot more than ‘a bit of a temper.’”

“I’m gonna be honest with you guys,” said Alex at the head of the group. “I can’t say I’ve ever heard of a rabbit with a temper.”

“Angel can be a bit… forceful…” Fluttershy admitted. “But I know he always means well.”

“Riiight…” said Alex.

“So how far are we, anyway?” asked Rainbow Dash.

“It shouldn’t be too far now.”

The group rounded the next corner and the building site for Alex’s new facility and home came into view. Aside from the concrete foundation and the odd looking two story cylindrical elevator shaft in the middle of it, there wasn’t much else to identify it at a distance. Of course, Alex knew all the work that had occurred during the past two weeks had gone on underground.

As they grew closer, Alex started to notice something was off. Namely, all the Liandri were just standing around. One of them was even standing directly between the site and where Rose was. Why was that there? Why weren’t they doing anything?

An odd sense of worry shot through Alex as the group got closer and he unconsciously started to walk faster.

Twilight wasn’t oblivious to his actions and saw the look on his face. “Alex, is something wrong?”

He didn’t answer, instead focusing purely on the outside table. The laptop wasn’t open.

“Oh god no…” he muttered and then broke into a run.

He was only able to sustain the run for a few seconds before an ever familiar pain in his chest came back to him. He immediately slowed down and dropped to one knee, clutching his chest with his left hand and using his right to support himself. The ponies were quick to gather around him and voice their concerns, but he couldn’t make out exactly what they were saying.

Alex quickly started to perform his usual breathing exercises, but his initial worry still plagued him. He felt reassuring hooves on his back, yet they did nothing to calm him. As soon as he felt the pain start to subside, he wasted no time.

“Help- Help me up…” he muttered quickly.

“What was that, dear?” Rarity asked.

“Help me up,” he repeated with greater volume. “Hurry.”

He felt a pair of hooves grip his right arm as Rainbow Dash hoisted him up. Instead of voicing a thank you, Alex made a bee-line for the laptop, walking quickly and taking large steps. His chest still in pain, he continued to clutch at it with tearful eyes, the simple action doing nothing to help.

Alex slammed into the table, using it to stop himself instead of slowing down. What he saw sent a spike of fear through him. The computer was flipped over and the battery had been disconnected. It wasn’t removed, but it had been nudged out just enough for power to be cut off.

“Oh no, nononono…” he muttered

He snapped the battery back in place, flipped the laptop right side up, and quickly opened it. The screen remained black.

“Please, no no no, come on…”

The screen flickered to life, but the image appeared distorted. Sound came from the speakers, but it was a distorted mess of buzzing and looping nonsense. Alex heard someone behind him ask a question, but he ignored it completely.

“Oh god, please no…”

The screen flashed off again. After ten seconds of nothing happening, the screen flashed to life again with Rose’s virtual face appearing on the screen.

“Ugh, that was unpleasant,” she said. “If I ever get a hold of that little rodent…”

“Oh good!” Alex said with a weak breath before collapsing on the table out of stressful physical and mental exhaustion.

“Rose, what happened?” Twilight asked urgently.

Something decided it wanted to unplug my battery. A highly unpleasant and potentially damaging experience that I’d rather not go through again.” The nearest Liandri’s eye glowed a bright blue and it approached the table, giving Alex a hard poke in the shoulder. “Come on, now. The elevator is coming up and I want to finish this sooner rather than later.”

Alex pushed himself up, looked at the Liandri, and then turned to his computer. Seeing that Rose seemed fine after a good restart helped ease him. “Yeah… Let’s do it…” he breathed with a weak smile.

He folded the laptop under his arm and beckoned the ponies to follow him. As for the Liandri, its eye returned to normal and it went back to its original task.

“Hey, Alex, what just happened?” asked a confused Rainbow Dash, still floating along beside them.

“Something came along and removed Rose’s battery,” Alex answered. “Electricity is to Rose as food, water, air, and blood is to us. Actually…” Now standing in front of the elevator shaft, Alex opened the laptop in front of him. “Rose, what did unhook your battery, anyway?”

“I’d rather not say, to be honest,” Rose replied.

“Oooooo, is it embarrassing?” Pinkie Pie said teasingly.

Rose frowned. “I’m going to pretend I didn’t hear that.”

Pinkie giggled. “It is!”

Alex arched a brow. “Are you sure?”

“It wasn’t anything major, I assure you,” said Rose. “It was just an animal that I failed to scare away, surprisingly…”

Alex eyed her skeptically for a moment but eventually shrugged and tucked Rose back under his arm. A few seconds later, the group heard an approaching hum. Once the sound was directly level with them, the doors in front of them hissed open, revealing the interior of a white circular elevator which was surprisingly spacious. The floor was perfectly even and smooth, and the ceiling was actually made of glass, supported by intersecting rectangular beams that formed a neat X. A single construction bot was already inside it, standing next to the door and attached to a panel in the elevator’s wall by an intricate metal device protruding from its chest.

As the group entered the elevator, Twilight looked through the ceiling and noticed there was nothing suspending the elevator. In fact, the top of the shaft wasn’t even closed, revealing the blue of the sky. Neither she nor any of her friends had actually been inside an elevator before, making it quite the experience for her, but she was familiar enough with the basic system to know it needed something to suspend it.

“Um, Alex?” asked Twilight. “Isn’t there supposed to be, you know, something to suspend this thing?

Alex smirked at her. “Conventional elevators use steel cables. This is a mag-lift. It uses electro-magnetism to move.” He turned his attention to the still hovering Rainbow Dash. “Also, Dash, you really should land while we’re in here.”

She shot him a curious look. “Huh? Why?”

Before Alex had a chance to respond, the doors hissed shut and the lift started to descend, causing Dash to collide with the ceiling and fall to the floor splayed out with a small “oof!”

Rose let out a small chuckle from under Alex’s arm. “That’s why.”

Dash groaned from her spot on the floor. “Not cool, Rose…”

Alex couldn’t help but smirk. “Alright, so physics proving its dominance aside, I just wanna give you guys a heads up. We’re going really far underground, so you might find it a bit tough to breathe until power and the air scrubbers come online.”

“Just how far down are we going, anyway?” asked Twilight.

“About a hundred meters.”

All of their eyes widened in response. All of them, of course, except for Pinkie Pie, who just stared intently through the ceiling at the quickly receding light. “Wow… You know, it’s really dark out there.”

Alex followed her gaze, taking note of the mention that aside from the hole that was the top of the shaft, the entirety of it was encased in darkness. “Yeeeaah… There’s lights in the shaft, but those won’t come on until the power does.”

After a short moment, the elevator slowed to a stop and the doors hissed open once more, revealing a wide, pitch black hallway, the only illumination coming from the elevator itself.

A small whirring noise came from the plugged in Liandri and Alex raised his free hand, holding up three fingers. “Lights out in three, two, one…”

Right on cue, the Liandri disconnected itself from the panel and the elevator went dark, causing some of the ponies to yelp in surprise, namely Fluttershy, who instinctively latched onto Rainbow Dash. Without any prompting, Twilight illuminated her horn, casting a faint purple glow on everyone else.

The Liandri moved away from the panel and in front of the doors. Once facing the hallway, a simple yet bright flashlight on the side of its head clicked on, providing much needed direction. Without waiting, it began walking out of the elevator.

“This way, Ladies,” Alex beckoned behind the Liandri.

The ponies made their way out, preferring to stay around Twilight and her own light. True to Alex’s word, the air felt a bit stuffy. As they looked around outside the elevator, they found themselves in a large hallway. It was surprisingly wide and ceiling was just as high, and at the end of the hall was a large rectangular doorway. Aside from that, though, it was completely barren.

Twilight was familiar with Alex enough to know that he didn’t do something for no reason, and that went triple for Rose. The fact that the hallway was empty and seemingly pointless jumped out at her almost immediately. “Um, Alex? What’s the point of this hallway? There’s nothing in here.”

“It’s a security hall,” Alex said, not missing a beat. “We’re going to furnish it later, probably within the next few days or so.”

With nothing of interest to see, Twilight picked up the pace to catch up to Alex with her friends close behind, as if the darkness would swallow them up if they stood in it for too long. As they passed through the doorway at the end of the hall, which Twilight noticed was surprisingly thick, it gave way into a much larger room. Her own light couldn’t illuminate much of it, but the Liandri’s revealed much more.

Lying along the ground in the middle of the round room was a large machine that caught her attention immediately, several thick cables of some sort connected from it to some point in the ceiling she couldn’t quite make out. From the center of the room, various different machines and what she could only guess to be computers radiated out in round layers. They were separated in such a way that they formed several circles that were cut into quarters. Looking up, she couldn’t see the ceiling at all, only darkness.

“Whoa…” Rainbow Dash said in wonder. “What is this place…?”

Alex didn’t bother to turn around, still following behind the Liandri as they traveled through the middle of the room alongside the large machine. “This is the Prototype Lab, where I’m going to be designing, building, and testing various prototype Liandri and other things.”

As her friends looked around, taking in everything, Twilight’s attention remained focused on odd looking machine lying on the ground. Compared to her, it was huge. It was lying down like some sort of long insect, but there were no limbs that indicated it could move. And yet it looked like it might’ve had two major joints for movement. One end was smaller than the other, with the larger end being the one connected to the ceiling. She placed a hoof along its sleek white metal frame, feeling its texture. It was perfectly smooth, without a single bolt or screw to be seen. The word ROSE was printed in big black letters on its side.

Turning away from the machine, Twilight continued to look around when her eye suddenly noticed something sitting on a nearby counter. It didn’t take her very long to recognize it. It was the Power-Core that Alex initially built in her basement. He recently came by the library to collect it, saying that it had served its purpose and was going to be properly decommissioned soon. She wanted to keep it as a memento, but she understood why she couldn’t. Technology like that couldn’t be left lying around. Much to her surprise and delight, however, Alex told her that she had certainly earned the EMC she built. It may have been useless without a Power-Core or Rose, but she greatly appreciated the gesture nonetheless.

Twilight’s attention was torn away when light suddenly poured in from another elevator on the other side of the room.

“This way, everyone,” Alex called out. “You’ll be able to see things much better once we get the lights on.”

The ponies stopped squinting at the various unpowered curiosities around the room and made their way to the new elevator, which was very similar to the first, minus the glass ceiling. This time, though, a different construction bot was inside it, and the first one stayed behind as they all descended a second time.

The next ride quickly ended and the doors hissed open, the same “lights out” procedure occurring yet again. The new Liandri led the group out into another large, circular room with an oddly smooth metal floor, though the ceiling was much lower and within range of Twilight’s light. At the center of the room was a round, shallow pit that was about twenty feet across and protected by a guard rail. Placed on the edge of the pit in a triangular pattern were three strange devices. Behind each one on the safe side of the rail was a panel, two of which were already occupied by Liandri.

Alex motioned towards the rail. “Have a seat and let’s get started.”

“Alex, just what exactly are we doin’ here?” asked Applejack, sitting down next to guard rail.

We aren’t doing a thing,” he said, sitting down on the floor next to them. “But they are. Now then, Twilight, could you turn that light off?”

Twilight did as she was asked. The Liandri from the second elevator shut off its own light and moved to the only unoccupied panel, still able to see perfectly in the dark. They heard a small whirring noise as it connected with the device in its chest.

A moment later, the sound of heavy machinery caught their attention as all three of the devices in the pit moved into position. Without warning, each one emit a brilliant blue light towards the center of the circular gap. What captivated each of them, though, was the fact that each machine created some form of large visible field which looked almost like a round, electric shield.

Movement suddenly caught their eyes as a robotic arm in the middle of the ceiling grabbed a small metal plate from some sort of dispenser next it and held it directly below itself. The underside of the plate was glowing a magnificent blue. A thin blue beam appeared from beneath the glowing plate, shooting towards the ground. As they looked to see where the beam was going, they saw another arm on the ground holding a second plate, mimicking the first, only the underside of this one was pointed upwards.

The plates started to rotate clockwise in place as both arms simply let go. The ponies expected gravity to take its course, but both plates stayed suspended, slowly rotating in place. Each arm grabbed a second plate and placed it next to the first, keeping up with its rotation. Another blue beam appeared, intersecting with the original. Like before, both plates defied gravity when let go by their respective arm. Despite the fact that they weren’t actually touching, these new plates orbited the first ones perfectly, as if they actually were physically connected.

They all gazed in wonder as, piece by piece, the robotic arms gradually built a large, rotating sphere of similar metal plates. There was a small gap between each plate, allowing them look inside at the spider web of blue. At the very center of the sphere, they could see a small blue ball of light.

“What is this thing…?” asked Fluttershy.

Alex opened his mouth to answer, but to his surprise, someone, or rather somepony, answered first.

“It’s a giant Power-Core…” Twilight said, breathless.

With a smile, Alex nodded in her direction. “Very good, Twilight! This is, in-fact, the Power-Core that’s going to supply my entire facility with all its power. This model at this size is able to generate more energy than I’ll probably ever need.”

“Wait a second,” said Rainbow Dash. “A Power-Core? Is this that thing you were talking about a long time ago? The thing you said Twilight was helping you build?”

“It’s a more advanced version, yes, but it’s not the same one,” he answered. “The one Twilight helped me build is upstairs. Remember the Summer Sun Celebration?”

“Ugh, honestly, I’d rather not,” said Rarity. “That was quite the dreadful affair…”

“Oh I’m not gonna argue with you on that. That day definitely could’ve gone better. But do you remember that ball-like device we had on the stage?”

“You mean the thing that caused such a disturbance? Why yes, I do remember that. Are you saying that that was a device similar to this one?”

“Yes it was.”

“But didn’t the princess say it was broken?”

“That actually wasn’t true,” Twilight said. “Rose told Princess Celestia that it broke when it really just fixed itself.”

“Oh… I see.”

Pinkie Pie’s eyes trailed all over the room. “Hey, if that power thingy’s on, then why aren’t the lights on yet?”

“Just give it a second to warm up…” said Alex.

Just a few seconds later, the beams inside the core disappeared, though the underside of the plates visibly started to glow brighter, accompanied with an increasingly louder hum. Every one of them, Alex included, started to feel their finer hairs stand on end.

The hum grew increasingly louder until, within a fraction of a second, each metal plate released a small burst of visible energy towards the center of the core. They all collided at exactly the same moment, whereupon a large blue sphere of energy exploded outward only to stop just short of the plates.

The whole group, Alex excluded, yelped back at the sudden burst that sounded like a loud heartbeat. Fluttershy even hid behind Applejack. Just as soon as it occurred, the orb of energy slowly receded into a swirling mass of blue near the center. At the same time, the lights around the room flickered to life and each Liandri disconnected themselves from their respective panels, which then sank into the ground.

Alex smiled as he stood up. “Ladies, allow me to be the first to welcome you to the new age.”

The ponies stood up as well, each one leaning with their forelegs against the guard rail to get a better look at the inside of the core.

“I must admit, that is quite a lovely shade of blue,” said Rarity, admiring the swirling light.

“Take as much of an eyeful as you can,” said Alex. “After we leave, no one’s gonna be allowed in. Even I won’t have much of a reason to come down here.”

Rainbow Dash turned to him. “Why? This thing looks so cool!”

“The core is invaluable to both me and Rose. We can’t risk anyone messing with it. Plus, look around. There’s not much else to see in here besides this.”

Rainbow Dash did just that, seeing that aside from the core, the elevator, and some odd looking things mounted high up on the walls, the entire room was entirely empty and a dull, grey color.

“Huh…” said Dash, the lack of color seeming to have a saddening effect on her.

“Ooo! Ooo! Ooo!” Pinkie Pie waved her hoof back and forth excitedly, trying to get Alex’s attention. “What would happen if I put my hoof in it?”

Alex gave Pinkie a funny look. What is it with her and wanting to stick her hoof in places it shouldn't go? “Your hoof would get ionized. Hell, it’d be even worse: the sheer amount of energy involved would tear every atom in your hoof apart.”

Pinkie rubbed her chin thoughtfully with a loud “Hmm…”

“And don’t even think about throwing something in there either, Pinkie,” Alex said, pointing a stern finger at her, well aware of her habit of pulling out random objects seemingly from nowhere.

Pinkie Pie giggled. “Okay!”

“Good… Now then, I’ll be in the elevator. Just come on in when you’re ready to go. There’s one last thing that needs to be done.” Alex did just what he said he would with the three Liandri behind him.

After a few minutes of admiring the core, they all eventually filed back into the elevator, with Twilight being the last to reluctantly do so. Without waiting even a moment, the doors closed and the lift ascended as soon as they were all completely inside.

When the elevator opened, it revealed the now fully lit Prototype Lab. The room itself was cylindrical with the tall walls being a pure white. The ceiling wasn’t a ceiling at all, but actually a large machine that was conical in shape, with the end of it being pointed towards the middle of the room and attached to the lower machine with Rose’s name printed on it.

Alex walked over to a computer terminal near the left side of the central machine, indicating with a finger that the others follow him, which they did. He put the laptop down next to him and briefly opened the lid. It was turned off. Seeing that Rose was already prepared, he closed the lid with a smile and flipped the computer over to carefully extract the hard drive.

He put the hard drive down next to him and, with a push a button, the terminal in front of him flared to life. Each of the ponies were caught off guard by this, because while the terminal’s keyboard was solid, the screen was holographic.

“Well ain’t that fancy,” Applejack commented.

Alex completely ignored her comment and began typing rapidly, lines of code that looked like complete gibberish to everyone else present flashing across the screen.

“Hey, what’re you doing now?” asked Rainbow Dash, tapping Alex with a curious hoof.

“He’s getting ready to plug Rose into that big super-computer over there.”

Alex immediately paused his typing and slowly looked down towards Pinkie Pie, who was staring intently at the holographic screen. “How the hell did you know that?”

She looked up and smiled at him. “Just a hunch!”

He turned his head back towards the screen, but kept his eyes locked on Pinkie. “Ooookay then…” He looked back at the screen, entered in a few more commands, and then inserted the hard drive into the terminal.

“Please turn your attention to the center of the room,” he said as he continued to type some more. Upon finishing, he tapped a button and the screen disappeared. All eyes were now on the odd looking machine in the middle of the room.

Without warning, the head and torso of the chassis jerked up and gravity slammed it back to the ground, causing a loud metal clang that startled everyone.

“Whoa, someone’s eager,” said Alex.

The machine directly above them hummed to life and a loud whirring noise could be heard as the cables connect to the machine lost their slack. The head of the chassis scraped along the floor as the rest of it was hoisted up into the air. It was going to be a bit damaged, but that could always be buffed out later.

Several loud high pitched sounds were heard as pieces connecting the chassis and the ceiling machine snapped into place. The group watched on as the chassis then started to flail, a ton of metal and electronics just throwing its weight around the room, though not able to hit anything.

What Alex knew was just a simple range of motion test felt incredibly daunting to the ponies, and they instinctively backed up. Fluttershy, however, used Alex’s height to her advantage to hide herself from the high up menace, keeping an eye poked out from beside him.

The flailing didn’t last long, however, when the chassis hung limp for a moment before snapping up to look at them, a single large, round, blue eye bearing down on them.

Alex raised his arms with a smile. “Everyone, meet Rose – in all her former glory!”

Rose let out a low laugh, her voice resonating throughout the room as if she were everywhere at once. “You have no idea how pleased I am.”

“Oh, I think I have an idea,” he said with a smirk. Alex turned around and leaned against the terminal with crossed arms. “Well, what do you think?”

They all gaped at Rose with mixture of wonder and trepidation. Unsurprising, considering how large she now was in comparison to them. It took a moment before any of them actually said anything.

“So this is what Rose looked like before you both came to Equestria?” asked Twilight.

Alex nodded. “This entire facility is practically a carbon copy. Minus a few things, of course.”

“Like what?”

“The teleporter, for starters. No way in hell I’m gonna try that again.”

Rarity stepped forward. “I dare say, Rose, you look much more impressive than before! Although the lack of a face is somewhat disconcerting.”

Rose’s response was having a nearby holographic display light up and generate the form of a bald woman with… surprisingly large breasts?

Alex arched a brow. The only woman Rose had any experience with was his mother, and she certainly didn’t look like that. While he understood why the hologram had no hair, the large breasts confused him. “Uh, Rose? Where did you get the dimensions for this?”

“I had an opportunity to connect to the internet while we were at your parents’ home,” said Rose, the hologram’s lips moving accordingly. “I did some research to find the average female body type. I figured I might as well retrieve that data now so that I could construct an anatomically accurate mobile platform for ‘social gatherings,’ since I anticipate I will have to attend some.”

“The internet? Average female body type? Rose, I’m sorry, but–” Alex’s eyes widened as he started to connect the dots. “Oh good god, you didn’t get this off a porn site, did you?”

The hologram frowned. “Of course not!” Alex breathed a small sigh of relief, although his relief was short lived. “I reviewed several sources so as to get as accurate an average as I possibly could.”

While the ponies weren’t familiar with the internet, they were all familiar with the concept of pornography, and recoiled with slight disgust. Rarity even more so. Twilight, on the other hand, was familiar with the internet thanks to one of Alex’s information sessions with her. Being familiar with Rose’s inability to understand certain social aspects as well, Twilight’s reaction was a simple, yet effective, face-hoof.

Alex slowly brought his hand up to cover his eyes with a groan. “Oh god… Just… Just put the hologram away, Rose… I’ll correct your dimensions later…”

The hologram disappeared with a shrug. “If you say so.”

The group stood in silence wearing uncomfortable faces for several long seconds before Pinkie Pie finally said the words on everyone’s mind. “Well this is awkward.”

“Yeah…” confirmed Rainbow Dash, rubbing her foreleg.

Alex clasped his hands together to try and change the mood. “Right… Well… That little incident-that-we-shall-never-speak-of-again aside… I want to personally thank you all for being here to see what will hopefully be a fresh start for both me and Rose.”

“It was our pleasure, Alex,” said Twilight with a smile and nod. “I have to admit, my basement pales in comparison to this place!”

“Oh, no argument here,” said Rose.

Alex rolled his eyes and tapped a few buttons on the terminal behind him without having to look. Rose’s head twitched in response. “Hey!”

“Modesty, Rose,” said Alex, looking over his shoulder. “Learn it.”

The scene elicited a light giggle from the others.

“Thank you for the lovely show, Alex,” said Fluttershy, “but I have to get home to take care of the animals and to see if Angel’s back.”

“Alright, I understand,” Alex said with a nod. “Say hi to that rabbit for me.”

Rose’s iris shrunk at the mention of the word “rabbit,” though no one seemed to notice.

“I’m guessing you girls have to get back to work, too?” Alex continued.

“Oh, I’m afraid so, darling,” said Rarity. “I simply cannot leave the boutique for terribly long.”

“Ah’ve gotta get back n’ help Big Macintosh ‘round the farm,” said Applejack. “He may be tough, but he still needs the help.”

“And the cakes have this super-duper big order they need to finish! They told me they don’t need my help, but I know they secretly do.” Pinkie nodded sagely.

“Right,” said Alex. “What about you, Dash?”

Rainbow Dash blinked at him. “I was planning on just getting some lunch.”

“Mind if I come with you, Rainbow?” asked Twilight. “I was feeling kind of hungry, myself.”

“Sure thing, Twi! Hey, Alex, you wanna come too?” Rainbow Dash asked as the others started walking towards the exit elevator, chatting amongst themselves.

He shook his head and waved her off. “Thanks, but I can’t. I’ve still got a few things to deal with here. Maybe later.”

“Alright then, catch ya later!” Rainbow Dash started walking off with the others, but turned around once she noticed Twilight wasn’t coming with them. “Hey, Twilight, you coming, or what?”

“In a minute, I just have to ask Alex something,” said Twilight.

Rainbow rolled her eyes and resumed her path out. “Alright, just don’t take too long.”

Alex looked at Twilight curiously. “What’s up?”

Twilight looked at him nervously, waiting until her friends were safely out of earshot. “I never thought about it before, but… Rose told me what would’ve happened if you didn’t stop the first Power-Core from… Overloading, I think she called it?”

Alex bit his lip and hung his head. “She told you about that, huh?”

“Yes, she did… she said Ponyville would’ve become a crater…”

He sighed. “A core of that size wouldn’t have left that big of a crater… but it would’ve easily leveled the entire town, the surrounding areas too…”

“Yeah…” Twilight averted her gaze, but quickly looked back at him, concerned. “Alex, what would happen if this Power-Core overloaded?”

Alex pursed his lips, shook his head, and started walking towards the exit elevator, Twilight close behind him. “Unspeakable horrors. Trust me, you really don’t want to know.”

Twilight opened her mouth to say “Yes, I really do want to know,” but quickly rearranged her thoughts when she remembered what happened last time they had a similar conversation. “Right, I’ll just take your word for it.”

She started trotting ahead of him but then quickly turned around. “Oh! By the way, did you have a chance to talk to Rose about the hand?”

“He did, actually,” said Rose, her large eye following the unicorn, “and I have a hypothesis. Are there any other species here that have hands that it could have belonged to?”

Twilight shook her head. “I had a similar idea, but the only other species that have hands that we know if is minotaurs; and they only have three fingers.”

“Hey, Twilight, come on!” Rainbow Dash called out from the elevator.

“Coming!” Twilight yelled back. She turned to Alex briefly. “We’ll try to figure it out later. Thanks again for showing us the core!”

Alex waved at her as Twilight galloped over to her friends. “No problem! You know where to find me if you wanna talk.”

She waved back at him as she reached the elevator. Seemingly on its own, the doors closed without prompting and the elevator ascended, bringing them back to the surface.

Alex stopped waving when the doors closed, and for just a fleeting moment, his eyes looked more green than usual.

He turned to Rose with a newly refocused look. “Now then, I have a little problem that needs... rectifying…” he said, tapping his fingers along his chest.

Author's Note:

August 15th, 2013: My summer break is almost officially over as I'm going to be going to college 4 days from the posting of this chapter.

What does this mean? Well, it means I'll have a lot more work on my plate and I won't be able to devote as much time to the story as I was able to before.

BUT! With this chapter done, the story is going to take a story arc approach where every chapter or two will consist of its own mini-story while still encompassing the larger plot. If you thought Lyra had a fossilized human hand for shits and giggles, well, you'd be wrong. Now then, because this story takes place during season 2 (as you should have seen from the Lesson Zero chapter), some chapters will follow the events of some of the episodes. Naturally, with a few of my own twists.

For the curious, here's a list of episodes where I currently either have a full plot worked out or have a workable idea for:
- Luna Eclipsed
- Hearth's Warming Eve
- Family Appreciation Day
- The Super Speedy Cider Squeezy 6000
- Dragon Quest
- Ponyville confidential
- The Wedding (Big arc)
- The Crystal Empire (Start of a big arc that leads to conclusion)
- and maybe others if I get good enough ideas.

This does NOT include other chapters that don't follow the episodes, of course. There will be a few of those that address the larger plot, as well as those that address other aspects of Equestria such as Winter Wrap up.

So let thy imaginations run wild. Thou knowest who the characters are, so ask thyselves this... What shall happen next?

And again, a big thank you to all you readers! You're all awesome!