• Published 18th Jun 2013
  • 761 Views, 43 Comments

Colt of the Damned - ArtoriasFlagg



Magic is fickle thing. Give power to those who do not know how to use it and nations will bow before them. Give it to someone unafraid to use it to its full potential, and they will label him a monster; evil and insane... Yet both are equally guilty

  • ...
0
 43
 761

Three for the Slaughter

Of all the magnificent and bizarre creatures which inhabit this world, none is more blessed and fortunate than the unicorn. Gifted with a natural affinity for magic and an unnaturally long lifespan, every individual is provided from birth with the tools they need to go on to work wonders and change history.

The ringing had stopped and the Inquisitor impatiently awaited his response. The convict simply continued to stare thoughtfully at the dais from beneath his hood.

Granted with the ability to control the very elements and twist reality to their liking, it is hard to pretend there is any creature more dangerous. Perhaps that is why so many have chosen to avoid seeking a name for themselves, instead choosing to adopt the simple, quiet lifestyle meant for earth ponies. Less trouble taking that route, and less chance of hurting someone you care about...

"We will give you this one last chance to confess, sorcerer. After that, your life hangs on whatever story you have concocted to justify your actions."

Perhaps that's the lesson here... No earth pony would have ever found themselves in a situation like this...

"Ardent? Your response? You know the traditions, my friend. We need an answer, innocent or not, before we can proceed."

...But then...

A guard moved to the railing of second floor balcony, forcing his way between a pair of engrossed spectators. "Your Honors, someone is knocking at the upper landing's door. Do we allow them in?"

"Once a trial begins no one is allowed entrance until the final verdict is determined. Those have always been the rules."

"Now now, Star Swirl, your friend here has not even given us his answer yet. As I see it, that means the real trial has not truly begun. If a few more guests wish to witness this monster be convicted, I say we let them. We'd be denying them the chance to see history in the making!"

"One more of your bias outbursts, Harrow, and I'll see you removed from the courtroom by force."

"My apologies, sirs, but do we open the doors or not," another guard asked from behind the benches on the left side of the court. "Theres someone at the side one now as well."

"Master?" Clover concerned. The courtroom had filled up fast as it was. If the crowd grew much more they would run out of benches far too quickly to accommodate everyone.

"...Very well, let them in! But after this I want no more interruptions. I do not wish to make this to go on any longer than necessary."

"Right, let them in!"

"What in th-" a wrought iron horseshoe caught one of the balcony guards in the face as he opened the heavy oak door. He fell to the floor, helmet askew and blood running from the left side of his head. A scream erupted from the crowd as the other doors were forced open. One guard attempted to bar the knockers' entrance by forcing the door closed, but was flung aside as the new visitors cast the it open with their combined strength.

I doubt any simple earth pony could have come up with a way out of a situation like this, either.

From all five of the public entrances a flood of earth ponies and unicorns poured in, many wearing odd scraps of cloth or armor, and all exuded a ghastly smell. Finally, banging could be heard at the door leading up from the prison, where the wizard and his jailers had entered from not fifteen minutes earlier. The two pegasi guarding it backed up a step as the four unicorns who had brought Ardent to the court joined them. The banging grew louder, the sound of hoofs beating against wood echoed through the courtroom. Then, without warning or provocation, it ceased.

A moment passed, during which time the new crowd dispersed and assimilated into the audience. Cries and whimpering could be heard from every corner of the room. The six guards waiting at the door began to move forward.

The sound that followed was enough to stifle out every scream, every cry, every last whimper or plea for help that was coming from the citizens in attendance. A massive CRACK so loud that it shook the very foundations of the castle and rocked the sturdy wooden door on its hinges. A moment later it fell forward, coming within inches of crushing the guards. The four unicorns simultaneously caught it with their minds, suspending it in the air before it could come crashing to the floor. Behind it stood a team of disturbingly pale minotaurs and another crowd of partially-armored earth ponies.

The unicorn guards were about to attempt to restore the door to its proper place and block the passage when something else took hold of the door. The blue aura which had been surrounding the heavy oak planks suddenly darkened. At that same moment the magic emanating from the guards' horns began to shift from its normal hue to a red so deep it was almost black. They struggled to keep their heads up until all four finally collapsed to the floor, seemingly under the weight of their own horns. They remained on the ground, just barely hanging onto consciousness as the small army stepped around them and filed into the courtroom.

A mist of black-red flames trailed from the wizard's horn as he placed the door back in its proper spot, mending the hinges as it settled into place. The two pegasi guards stepped back past him, standing at the base of the dais in a defensive posture. Several pale unicorns came out of the ranks that had just entered the room and formed a circle around the sorcerer, their eyes all glowing with the same dark red flames which had just dissipated from Ardent's horn. The same eyes stared out from the faces of the minotaurs and earth ponies who had broken in as well.

"I suppose I have your attention now, so I think its time this trial got under way."

He shook one of his legs, then another, letting the chains rattle as his shackles confined his movement to simple, awkward jerks.

"You asked me to confess. You asked me if I was guilty. Never once did you ask me to defend my action or explain my reasons. Oh yes, I would have gotten the chance to 'justify' them, but only after I had made a desiccation as to which I was. Innocent or Guilty..."

A spark leapt from the horns of one of the ghostly white unicorns and alighted upon the chains connecting Ardent's shackles. All at once the metal began to rust and disintegrate, turning to dust as a thousand years worth of decay rotted it from the inside out.

"Had I said I was innocent, you would have listened to my story and, regardless of what I said, determined that I was either lying or guilty nonetheless. And if I said I was guilty... Well, I guess that one really explains itself now doesn't it?"

He stepped forward, his thralls remaining in a circle around him as he approached the judges. "My soldiers will not harm this little audience you assembled unless you give them reason to. Should I die here, they will slaughter every last noble and peasant that you thought it so clever to assemble here today." His eyes met those of Inquisitor Magnus Harrow. "You wanted so desperately for there to be an audience. For there to be a crowd present to watch the ultimate downfall of the only one whose ever managed to make a you look like an even bigger fool than you normally do."

He turned his attention to Star Swirl next. He met the old master's cool, even gaze with a glare so full of malice that his own eyes seemed to be mere inches away from leaping from his skull and assaulting the old stallion themselves.

"You thought yourself so clever holding this trial, presiding over it, constantly appearing as though you were on my side. The fall of the favorite ploy is best used on the masses, I suppose, and you've no shortage of witnesses here... Now's your chance to speak openly, my old friend. How do you really feel about who I am, about what I've become. How do you feel about the part you played in all of this? I'm sure there must be plenty that you wish to tell us."

The old unicorn said nothing, but nor did he drop his gaze.

"No? Well the day is young. Perhaps we'll be able to wring something interesting from you once our little trial really get under way."

He moved on to the final judge. "And Miss Clover... I'm sorry, but to the best of my knowledge you are neither a corrupt schemer nor a sadistic monster as your benchmates are... What could possibly have brought you into a situation such as this? Rest assured, you're free to go the moment this dreadful business is over." He turned to face the rest of the room. "As are the all the rest of you, of course. My soldiers are here strictly to keep Star Swirl and the Inquisitor in line. You have nothing to fear from them unless you are planning on striking me down or attempting to escape. We're all here for the long run now, so I suggest you all get comfortable."

Ardent looked around the room and then turned back to the dais to address the judges once more. "I did not want it to have to come to this... but you left me no choice. There would be no fair trial for me here unless I came with a little extra insurance. However, I am no judge. That task will remain in your clearly-experienced hooves. We will proceed with the trial as you intended to be..."

A low guttural growl began to emanate from several if the reanimated soldiers around him. "...Only now, we will proceed with it as it should have been..." The minotaurs moved up to the dais, flanking either side to prevent any of the judges from getting up. "From this point on, consider all three of us on trial for these crimes..."

The minotaur nearest Harrow reached across the half-blind unicorn's desk and lightly flicked the bell which sat upon it.

Ding!

"And since you have waited so patiently all this time, allow me to give our answer. In answer to the charges brought against all of us, we plead..."

The bull tapped the bell once more.

DING!

"...Guilty..."

Author's Note:

My sincerest love and respect to the Mentally Advanced series as I blatantly rip one of my favorite lines straight out of it... I owe you one Greg!