• Published 18th Jun 2013
  • 10,907 Views, 298 Comments

The Perfect Stallion For Rainbow Dash - chief maximus



She's finally found a stallion that is everything she's ever wanted! He understands her competitiveness, needs for speed, and her hatred of boredom. There's just one problem. He could destroy the world.

  • ...
28
 298
 10,907

Cracks

Cracks

Rainbow and Blitz circled over the neat rows of trees dotted with ripe apples. As they lost altitude, they landed in a sturdy tree. Blitz rested on a thick branch as Rainbow found her own. As he settled in, Blitz exhaled softly. "I guess trees don't change much from universe to universe."

"Nah," Dash replied. "These trees are the best thing to sleep on besides clouds—"

"Not today, they ain't!" A voice from below them called, shaking the tree as though it were in an earthquake. Both pegasi fell from the lofty branches, hitting their flanks hard on the grass below.

"Geez, AJ! You could have just asked us to leave!" Rainbow complained, rubbing her sore rump as she stood up.

"Well, I'd swear I was seein' double!" Applejack declared, taking in the two ponies. "This your brother or somethin', Rainbow?"

Blitz dusted himself off and got to his hooves. "Nice to meet ya, Applejack. The name's—"

"—Spectrum Shift!" Rainbow completed, the first name coming to her mind after having sat through one of Twilight's boring study sessions during the midnight release of the latest Daring Do novel.

Blitz slowly looked over to his counterpart. "Spectrum Shift?" he asked.

Dash laughed to herself before placing a hoof around his neck. "Duh! What, did you forget your own name?" she asked playfully. "I picked up this lug in Cloudsdale. Not bad, eh?"

Applejack looked at the both of them carefully. "Nope," she replied, still eyeing the new stallion with suspicion. Her scrutinizing glare vanished as quickly as it had come. "Pleased ta meet ya, Spectrum!" she said, extending a hoof. 'Spectrum' met her hoof and smiled.

"Nice to meet you, too."

"Sorry ta interrupt your normal nappin' schedule, but Mac and I have some buckin' ta do."

Blitz covered his mouth with a hoof, stifling his chuckling. "Her name is 'Mac' here?" Rainbow cut his laughter short with a jab to the ribs.

Applejack laughed as her brother trotted behind her, pulling a cart full of empty woven baskets. "How silly of me, I forgot ta introduce ya to my brother!" Applejack extended a hoof towards the stallion hitched to the wagon. "Spectrum, this is Big Macintosh."

Blitz had to crane his neck upward to take in the freckled stallion's face. Mac was a full head taller than he was, and much more built. "Hey," Blitz managed. The stallion before him was a far departure from the sweet little filly he'd known in his universe.

Mac raised an eyebrow, looking over Blitz in much the same way his sister had. "Have I met you before?" he asked.

Before Blitz could answer, Rainbow stepped in front of him. "Nope, he just moved from Cloudsdale. We've really hit it off since I met him," she explained quickly. "He's my coltfriend." The Apple siblings failed to notice the nervousness behind Dash's smile.

Mac gave him one last look before instantly switching moods. "Well then, good ta meet ya, Spectrum. Be good ta Rainbow, ya hear?" he said, smiling.

Blitz shook his hoof. "Don't worry, I will."

"Well, shoot, I'm glad ya found a special somepony Rainbow," Applejack told her, placing a basket below the tree they had been sleeping in. "But Mac and I've got some work ta do. Unless y'all want ta stick around and help us out?"

"No, we've got other stuff to do," Rainbow and Blitz said in unison. They looked at each other and laughed before bidding goodbye to Applejack and her brother.

"Land sakes, Macintosh, you'd think those two were made for each other." Applejack commented as they flew toward town.

"Eeyup."


The bell above the door at Sugarcube Corner rang softly as Pinkie Pie bounded from the kitchen to the counter. "Welcome to Sugarcube Corner! Our specials today are—" she paused after noticing her customer. "Oh, hiya Twilight! The usual?"

"Actually, I was hoping to find Rainbow Dash. Has she been by here, by chance?"

"Yeah, she was here this morning! She had a new coltfriend with her, but I could have sworn they were brother and sister!"

No... she wouldn't... she didn't...Twilight thought as her eyes narrowed. "Any idea where they went?" she asked urgently.

"Hm..." Pinkie thought for a moment. "That way!" she said, pointing a hoof out the door.

Twilight sighed. "Thanks for the help, Pinkie..."

She walked sullenly towards the exit, when her nose bumped painfully into the glass. Using her magic to open doors had become a reflex at this point. Perhaps she had just been distracted. She concentrated on the door and it swung open. As she trotted outside, Twilight decided there was no way she'd be able to hunt down Rainbow Dash if she didn't want to be found. Thinking quickly, she charged a teleportation spell, and whisked herself away to Sweet Apple Acres. If she couldn't find Rainbow Dash, she could at least warn the other girls about what she was up to, and possibly get them to help her find Dash and her new 'friend.'

The flash of her spell caused Applejack to miss her buck against the tree.

"Tarnation!" she cried before landing hard on her belly. Mac placed a hoof over his mouth to stifle a giggle, which had disappeared by the time she'd gotten to her hooves. "Twilight, how many times do I have to ask ya not ta scare me like that?"

"I'm sorry, but I'm in a bit of a rush." Applejack dusted off her hat and placed it back onto her head before squaring herself against the tree for another shot.

"Alright then, what can we do for ya?" she asked, giving the tree the buck she had meant to give it a few seconds before. Apples fell neatly into the baskets waiting below the branches as she smiled towards her brother.

"I just need to know if you've seen Rainbow Dash today."

Mac nodded, and Applejack turned from the tree. "Actually, ya just missed her."

"When you saw her, was anyone with her?" Twilight asked urgently.

"Actually, yes. Some fella named Spectrum Shift. Claimed he was her new coltfriend, though I thought it was kinda weird ta picture the two of them together. He looked like he coulda been her brother."

Twilight clenched her jaw. I can't believe she would actually attempt to date herself from another universe! She'd had some insane ideas before but this? This could kill us all! She fought the urge to gag at the idea of Rainbow fornicating with what was essentially herself.

"Somethin' the matter, Twilight?" Applejack asked, noticing her stifled wretch.

She thought about explaining the scenario to Applejack. The thought passed as quickly as it had come. After all, no reason to worry the others with the possibility of universal destruction if there was a chance she could fix everything before anypony found out what had gone so horribly wrong. As it happened, the machine Twilight built wasn't exactly legal in the strictest sense.

"No, nothing's the matter, but if you see her again, I need you to keep her and her... 'friend' in one place. I have to find both of them."

Applejack smiled, blissfully ignorant of the circumstances by which Rainbow's coltfriend had been brought into their world. "Well that shouldn't be a problem for too much longer. I'd wager she'll stop by your house ta see ya eventually! She was showin' him off like he was her prize winnin' hog!"

Somehow, I doubt it, Twilight thought. "Thanks, but if you see them again—"

"Say no more, Twilight. We'll keep 'em here and come find ya."

"Thanks." She took a few steps back and charged her teleportation spell, only this time, her first attempt fizzled out, managing to singe her mane and tail, but leaving her in a black ring of burnt grass where she stood. "What is with me today?" she shouted to herself as she concentrated. The second try brought her back to the library, startling Spike off his ladder. Luckily for him, he was only a few steps up.

"Any luck finding Rainbow?" he asked from beneath the pile of books he'd knocked over.

"None," Twilight sighed wearily.

Spike paused as Twilight took a glance down the stairwell leading to her basement laboratory.

"So... is all that stuff you warned me about really going to happen?"

Twilight rubbed her eyes with her hooves. "I'm not sure. Everything regarding alternate universes is still purely theoretical... or, it was purely theoretical."

Spike stacked the books he had dropped and took a seat on the couch. "So, what are you gonna do when you find Rainbow?"

She looked to him glumly. "Hopefully, she'll let me put her friend back into the universe where he belongs, and we'll put all of this behind us."

Her assistant's expression soured. "You aren't gonna punish her? I got my comics taken away for two weeks for just trying to do what she did!"

"Need I remind you that the machine I built is not exactly legal?" Twilight's expression soon matched Spike's. "Besides, she'll get hers. Don't worry." If we survive this...

Spike reclined against the couch, his arms folded. "What, you think the Princess is gonna send you to the moon for being you?"

She bit her bottom lip, a habit she'd had since she was a filly. Twilight only ever did it when she knew she could be in trouble, whether it be with her parents or a princess. "She expressly forbid me to mess with the fabric of the universe! I'm just a victim of ironic process theory!"

"Ironic what?" Spike asked.

"Ironic process! If I told you not to think about a pink elephant, what are you thinking about right now?"

"Oh," he nodded.

"By telling me not to tinker with the fabric of space and time, she inadvertently put the idea in my head until I just had to build a dimensional portal!" Twilight groaned, racking her brain to try and think of a way to locate Rainbow before anypony important found out there was an extra being in their universe. "Which is why I have to find Rainbow, fix this, and then smash that thing before anypony else decides they want to date themselves!"


"So when you said 'other stuff to do...'" Blitz commented.

"Yeah, not really much of anything," she replied as they glided across the sky. "Beat's applebucking though."

"I hear that," Blitz agreed. "So now what?"

Rainbow put a hoof to her chin. "Well, we could hang out back at my place, I guess."

"Sounds good, but won't Dusk come looking for us there?"

"You mean Twilight? Hm... I guess she would," Rainbow admitted. "We're gonna have to move my house."

Blitz shot her a concerned glance. "We?"

"Hah, sorry. I meant you."

Before he knew it, Blitz found himself tied to a harness, which was tied to the supports of Dash's house. "Sorry, I only had one strap," Rainbow called from the window.

The sweat dripped down Blitz's chin as he pumped his wings, the house inching toward the southern plains. "I know... where this harness... came from!"

Though he couldn't see it, he could practically feel the blush creeping up Rainbow's cheeks. "I didn't know he was gay! You can't blame a mare for trying!"

After moving the house what felt like miles, Rainbow unhitched Blitz and brought him inside. After getting him a glass of water, they both sat down on the couch in her living room. "So, now what?" he asked.

Rainbow shrugged. "I didn't have any other plans except to hide from Twilight until I can show you to my parents."

Blitz nodded. "So, your place is pretty much like mine, right?" he asked, glancing around.

"I guess," Dash replied.

Blitz stood from the couch, taking a step towards Rainbow's record player. "So, you wouldn't mind if we listened to some music?"

Rainbow squinted at him. Something in his tone wasn't right. It was as if he knew something no one but her should have known. "Yeah..."

Blitz plunged a hoof behind the record player, retrieving a vinyl jacket that drew Dash off the couch in a rush. Before she could snatch it away from him, he removed the record from its case.

"Top ten greatest love songs of all time?" he asked, smirking. Dash hoped she didn't look so smug when she did it.

"How did you know about that?" Rainbow demanded.

Blitz leveled his eyes. "Really?"

"Oh, right. Well, don't act all superior! You have it in your house, too!"

Blitz's smile faded. "I know." He looked over the track list and then back to her. "I was kinda hoping to listen to it."

The anger faded from her eyes. "Uh... well, I guess we could."

Neither would admit it, but they'd both secretly hoped to listen to this particular record with somepony special one day. Both of them knew the other felt this way, but they couldn't be sure. The risk of embarrassment was simply too great. Instead of talking, or poking fun at each other, they just sat on the couch as the record began.

Although Twilight had warned against it, Dash felt this was one of her better ideas.


"Spike, if we don't find Rainbow and other Rainbow soon, Equestria is doomed."

The young dragon stepped quickly down the stairs into Twilight's basement laboratory. "So, at least now we know why what Rainbow Dash did was bad news?"

"Yes we do," Twilight replied, her frazzled mane sticking up from the fortress of books she'd built around herself.

"Great!" Spike said, clapping his claws together. "Why?"

"It'd take some time to explain plainly, but suffice to say that unicorns, pegasi, and earth pony magic would all be gone in a matter of weeks!"

Spike scratched his scales. "Gone? Like, gone gone?"

"Yes. Gone gone."

Author's Note:

A brief update, I know, but just thought I'd throw this out before I leave. Also, this wasnt edited, so feel free to point out any mistakes you find!