• Published 6th Mar 2012
  • 1,542 Views, 7 Comments

From the Flames - Orfearus



Rainbow Dash rises up to the task of Hero to save Fluttershy from a fire in the Everfree Forest

  • ...
3
 7
 1,542

Prologue: The Fire Lights

A mysterious mare walked through the Everfree forest.

She smiled a cunning, audacious smile to herself.

Today was the day she took a risk. Today was the day everything changed. Behind her she dragged two buckets of Blackwood sap - an extremely flammable yet hard to acquire substance. It was perfect for what she planned.

The light of the early morning sun speckled the ground where she stood. The wind barely reached this far into the forest, but what did brought a crisp wintry feel. She glanced around the area. This was the spot.

She quickly smeared the sap along the bottom of the trees nearest her, being careful not to get any on her hooves. She needed time to escape after the fire started, so she spread the sap thin. Everything was ready except one thing.

As quick and silent as the wind, she raced her way to a small cottage on the edge of the forest. How long had she planned for this? How many months perfecting it? The time itself seemed inconsequential compared to the plan.

Pulling a few carrots out from her saddlebags, she placed the bait on the ground. The trap was set. She retreated a safe distance from the edge of the forest. A white bunny came running out of the cottage and followed the trail. The time was near. A timid voice followed the bunny into the woods.

"Angel, where are you going?"

The mare lit the fire, and took to the skies.