• Published 7th Jun 2013
  • 552 Views, 29 Comments

Broken Sky - Fyn16



Losing his spot at the Wonderbolt Academy, Nimbus hopes to set things straight by becoming an Aviator in the Royal Equestrian Air Force. However, whispers of the return of the mysterious "mare in the moon" may make this school year one to r

  • ...
1
 29
 552

Awakening: Part I

Awakening, Part I

“You ready?”

“Of course I am.”

“Well I don’t wanna have to slow down just so you can keep up.”

Storm Runner shook his head and flexed his wings. “Come on, Sun Blaze. I’ve been waiting all day to stretch my wings. I think I’ll be able to keep up.”

Without another word, Sun Blaze shot up into the sky. Storm Runner followed close behind her. This flight had been her idea; a chance to enjoy the sunshine after class and take their minds off Nimbus for a few moments. Storm Runner had to admit- it’d been odd with Nimbus gone. When his alarm clock went off that morning, he’d completely missed it. Normally, it was Nimbus who’d wake him up. Today, he’d almost missed class. Sun Blaze met up with him after their first class and stuck around for the day, but Storm Runner could see that even she seemed off; he often caught her staring off into space thoughtfully. Nimbus’s presence, it seemed, had been a big part of their lives, and now he was off in Canterlot, doing Celestia-knew-what.

But none of that matters now, Storm Runner thought, performing a lazy roll over a stray cloud, because I’m up here on a warm, late Spring afternoon with my marefriend and nothing could be better.

“Hey!” Sun Blaze said, nudging Storm Runner with her hoof and snapping him out of his daze, “see that cloud over there?” The mare pointed towards a lone cloud hovering over a mountain peak, “last one there’s dragon bait!”

Storm Runner surged ahead with a grin, pumping his wings as hard as he could. Sun Blaze, though, was hot on his trail. She’d clearly learned a thing or two over the past school year. Normally, Storm Runner was regarded as the fastest Pegasus on campus, but now Sun Blaze was actually pulling away from him.

“Oh no you don’t!” Storm Runner said, digging his wings into the air and increasing his thrust. He was retaking his position now, slowly gaining again…

“Bird!” Storm Runner ducked and rolled out of the way as an eagle swooped into his flight path. In that single moment, he lost any chance of gaining on his marefriend, and Sun Blaze dove into the cloud, looping out of it and falling into a leisurely cruise alongside Storm Runner. She was panting hard, but grinning like a lunatic.

“Never done that before!” she exclaimed.

“There was a… bird,” Storm Runner mumbled.

“Then I suppose fate was on my side today,” Sun Blaze said. Storm nodded, taking in the scenery as they flew on. He could just make out the royal palace in the distance through the mountain haze.

“What do you think Nimbus is up to?” he asked finally.

Sun Blaze shrugged, “probably getting ready for that big dinner of his.”

The two flew along in silence for a while. The afternoon was at that perfect balance between noon and sunset, where everything seems to move slowly and worries seem to cease to exist. Storm Runner was about to point out a cloud that he felt looked like a dragon when Sun Blaze turned to him.

“Storm Runner, have you ever had to do something you knew would be misunderstood, but which was for the greater good?”

Storm Runner raised an eyebrow, “I… don’t quite follow.”

Sun Blaze shook her head. “Never mind, just thinking about my life, I suppose.”

“Well hey,” Storm Runner cut in, changing the subject, “tomorrow’s a holiday, so… you wanna have dinner in Canterlot?”

Sun Blaze playfully punched Storm Runner. “You know how that went last time, you big oaf.”

“Oh no no no,” Storm Runner said, “not that fancy place. I was thinking Donut Joe’s.”

Sun Blaze flared her wings for a smooth descent to the campus, while Storm Runner followed. “Donuts? Sounds good to me.”

“Great!” Storm Runner beamed, “then let’s-“ the blue Pegasus froze. The guards posted at the front doors to the campus were new, but the previous guards’ shifts weren’t supposed to end for another two hours. He nudged Sun Blaze.

“Hey Sun,” he whispered, nodding towards the guards, “doesn’t it strike you as odd that those two guards replaced their comrades two hours early? I thought this whole guard thing ran like clockwork.”

“Normally, yes,” Sun Blaze said, “but I’m not particularly concerned. We’ve got a big holiday coming up. It’s probably just heightened security.”

“Right,” Storm Runner nodded, “well, I’m going to head back to my room for a shower. How about I meet you in the cafeteria in, say, forty-five minutes?”

Sun Blaze winked, “sounds like a plan.”

Storm Runner turned his back on the guards, trotting away to his room. As he did so, he couldn’t help but feel worried. Holiday or not, Royal Guards never drastically altered their schedules. They had a reputation for being meticulous to a fault. Why these two had suddenly been replaced was still a mystery to him, and he knew he wouldn’t rest easily until his questions were answered.

The Pegasus pulled open the door of his room and sank down onto his bed, not quite ready for a shower yet. Sun Blaze had occupied his mind. The mare had turned out to be quite different from what he’d expected. Only a few months ago, he’d wanted nothing to do with her, and now they were better than friends.

“You wishy-washy colt,” he muttered to himself, “dating your former rival…” he smiled. “First impressions might be important, but that doesn’t mean they’re right.”

Suddenly, several loud taps coming from the window shook Storm Runner to his feet. Outside was a brilliant red bird, eagerly tapping the glass. Storm Runner rubbed his eyes, making sure he wasn’t hallucinating. Convinced he wasn’t, he opened the window slowly.

“You’re a Phoenix,” he said in awe. As if in reply, the bird cocked its head and dropped a scroll it was clutching into Storm Runner’s hooves. Then, without warning, it took off again, heading for Canterlot. Eagerly, Storm Runner opened the scroll and sat down to read.

Dear Storm Runner,

Finally, one hour of peace! I spent the entire morning galloping all over Canterlot. They actually forced me to sit through a spa treatment, so I’ll be gussied up for tonight’s banquet. Yuck. I found out over lunch that all Cloudsdale Meet competitors have access to Phoenix-delivery mail services, so I figured I’d check in with you. So far, Polaris and I are doing fine. We met an old student of his- Corona Flash- and he seems nice enough. He’s told me quite a bit about the Meet and what to expect, so as you can imagine, I’m pretty grateful. By the way- tomorrow appears to be shaping up to be a nice day. You should take Sun Blaze somewhere nice, though if I know you, you’ve probably already thought of that by now. I’d write more, but Polaris is knocking on my door. Looks like I’ve got to go. Enjoy your holiday!

Your Friend,

Nimbus

Storm Runner smiled as he closed up the scroll and set it down on his bed. Nimbus was clearly just as eager to communicate as he was. It was nice to know that despite everything he was going through now, he’d still taken the time to write. Glancing at the scroll, Storm Runner scooped it up and stuffed it in his saddlebag. Sun Blaze would probably want to see it. After he set his saddlebag by the door, Storm Runner grabbed a towel and his shower gear.

As Storm Runner reached up to close his room’s blinds and prepare for his shower, he stopped. Outside, several ponies were gathering around the campus, silently staring at the building. Chills crawled down Storm’s spine as he remembered the new guards he’d spotted minutes ago. One freak occurrence he could take, but two within moments of each other?

“Sun Blaze,” he whispered, “oh no.”

Throwing his towel and saddlebag aside, Storm Runner threw open his door and raced out into the hall, galloping as quickly as possible. He didn’t want to admit it, but he had a bad feeling he already knew what was going on.

“It’s not The Awakening,” Storm Runner panted, racing outside and heading for the bridge to the campus, “it can’t be, it’s just-“

Storm’s world turned into a blinding flash of white heat and fragments of rubble as a thundering roar shook his very bones, knocking him onto his back. He slid back across the grass, hitting his head on the stone wall of his dormitory. All he could hear was a sharp ringing in his ears as his vision slowly refocused.

“No,” he whispered when his eyes finally adjusted and he could see what had actually happened. The once-proud main hall had been gutted by the explosion, and was now a smoldering ruin. Thick black smoke poured out through the hole the blast had made, and fire alarms were blaring. Storm Runner’s initial instinct was to run to the main hall to help, but he stopped as a shadow fell over him.
Ducking down, Storm Runner observed a dark purple Pegasus pass over him, carrying a Unicorn wearing a black robe. As he watched, the Pegasus landed on the roof and the Unicorn he was carrying took up a position. The Pegasus then took off again, circling over the main hall as other Pegasi came in. Storm Runner racked his brain for his next move. The Pegasi were flying patterns, meaning that this wasn’t just some random act of terrorism. Whatever was going on here had been thoroughly planned. Anypony in the main hall would have followed standard safety protocol and headed to the underground tunnels once the explosion occurred. If he was to have any hope of finding Sun Blaze, it would be there. Unfortunately, the only way to access the tunnels was via the main hall itself, meaning Storm Runner would have to expose himself to the circling Pegasi to get there. Falling under the Pegasi’s gaze would be unavoidable, but there had to be a way to go as far as possible undetected…

Storm Runner gazed down into the mountain range below. A faint mist layer hung between the peaks. Instantly, he developed a plan of action; he’d use the mist for cover, and climb quickly up to the parade field, behind the main hall. Once there, he would make a dash for the door, hopefully before the Pegasi could catch up with him.

The more I think about this, the less appealing it sounds, Storm Runner thought, so I guess I’d better get going before I second-guess myself.

Without further delay, Storm Runner dropped off the edge of the peak, diving past the bridge into the mist below. Once inside he righted himself, looking up at the sky to keep his bearings. Once he was close enough to the peak that held the main hall, he climbed again, practically clawing for altitude. His wing muscles burned as he fought for a constantly increasing climb rate; above, one Pegasus had already noticed him, and had broken off from his pattern, using gravity to help him accelerate towards Storm Runner. The blue Pegasus gritted his teeth and kept climbing, rolling level as soon as he cleared the edge of the peak. Over the parade field, he kept pushing himself, forcing his wings to move faster and increasing his speed dramatically, and yet his pursuer still gained. What came next caught Storm Runner completely off guard. As his speed increased, he noticed vapor forming in a cone around his body. He’d learned about this phenomenon in Aviator Training School- it was a shock cone, and it only formed if…

“I’m going supersonic!” Storm Runner whooped. Despite the near-inevitable probability of death and everything going wrong around him, he was overcome by a feeling of invincibility. He passed through the sound barrier, forcing a loud “crack” to echo across the campus. He didn’t care who heard him now- unless they were capable of performing the legendary Rainboom, they would have a tough time catching him.

Up ahead, the door to the campus was coming steadily closer. He’d only been supersonic for half a second when Storm Runner flared his wings and dug his hooves into the ground, stopping quickly. There was no time to lose; his pursuer had leveled out and was headed straight for him, and others were diving down from above as well. Storm Runner yanked the door open, bolted inside, and shut it, blocking it with a nearby chair. Outside, the Pegasus who had followed him peered in, his breath fogging the glass.

“Fleeing will be treated as an act of hostility. Surrender.”

“Like hay I will!” Storm Runner growled, bucking the chair further into place and taking off towards the nearest entrance to the tunnels. The school’s tunnel system had been in place since its time as a fortress, and they literally extended for miles into the mountain. Some said half-jokingly that the mountain was practically hollow. In the event of any sort of disaster, students were ordered to head into the tunnels and seal off exits once they were inside. Modern technology allowed radio communication between outside the tunnel doors and the occupants inside, and that was what Storm Runner relied on now. He raced into the cafeteria kitchen, bolting past the main hall, now fully exposed to the setting sun. Flames licked at the marble floor around his hooves, but Storm Runner did not dare change course. The Pegasi would be after him, he knew. The door to the tunnels was not more than fifty feet away, but as Storm Runner headed determinedly towards it, he stopped and dropped to the floor. There was a Pegasus standing near the door, gazing intently out over the kitchen. Distracting him wasn’t an option; Storm would need at least a minute to speak to the ponies in the tunnels. He didn’t want to think about his only option.

Regretting what he was about to do, Storm Runner gingerly grabbed the handle of a frying pan with his teeth and crept towards the Pegasus at the door. He’d have maybe five seconds to make this work.

“Hey ugly!” the hostile Pegasus turned around just in time to see a frying pan looming in front of his face. The kitchen implement collided squarely with the pony’s face, knocking him out cold. The shock traveled up the handle and into Storm Runner’s teeth, forcing him to drop the pan with a loud clang and rub his jaw. The others were surely on their way now. He ran to the door and pounded on it, yelling “it’s Storm Runner! I’m stuck out here!”

“Storm Runner?” a voice came through, crackling over the radio near the door, “one moment.”

A small plate on the door slid open and two eyes peered out. Then the plate shut with a speed that actually made Storm Runner jump. He could hear numerous latches being undone, until finally the door creaked open.

“Get in here now!”

Storm Runner didn’t argue. He jumped in as the door closed behind him, and found himself face-to-face with the librarian, Crescent Star. The Unicorn was holding up an electric lantern and looked scared- yet a fire also burned in her eyes. It was then that Storm Runner realized the library had been located just above the main hall. There was nothing left of it now.

“Thank you, ma’am,” Storm Runner panted, “things got pretty hairy out there.”

“You’re telling me,” Crescent Star said, “when they blew up the main hall I raced down here and got as many ponies as I could. I think there are around two hundred of us here. Others are either out there, waiting to be captured, or…” she let the thought hang. Storm Runner understood.

“When I was out there, they were organizing something,” he said. Crescent raised an eyebrow.

“Organizing something? What, exactly?”

“I don’t know,” Storm Runner admitted,” but they’re landing a few Unicorns on the roof, and I have a bad feeling this has something to do with the Nightmare Moon prophecy.”

“So you think it’s true?” Crescent asked.

“Doesn’t matter if it is or isn’t,” Storm responded, “they think it’s true, and we’re prisoners here until they accomplish whatever it is they’ve set out to do.”

Crescent kicked at the ground in frustration. Storm Runner could see that she clearly didn’t enjoy being cooped up in the old caves, and decided to risk proposing his next idea based on his observations.

“There’s a radio room upstairs, right?” he asked.

“Yes,” Crescent said, “why do you ask?”

“Because if we do this right, we can throw a wrench in the Awakening’s agenda and get a little payback if you’re up for it.”

Wincing, Crescent considered Storm Runner’s words. School policy dictated that the ponies stay in the tunnels until the threat passed. However, if the Nightmare Moon threat was serious, staying here would mean putting perhaps all of Equestria in jeopardy. Thinking about her library, now in ruins, and the smoldering building above, Crescent Star made her choice.

“I’m with you,” she said, “but we’ll need volunteers. I’ll see who I can round up.”

“Right,” Storm Runner said. As Crescent turned, Storm remembered something he’d meant to ask. “Er, Crescent? Can you check for a certain pony while you’re away?”

“Certainly,” Crescent said, “who is it?”

“Sun Blaze,” Storm Runner answered, “I lost her after the blast.”

“The silver Pegasus mare?” Crescent said, “yes, I know her. I’ll let you know if I see her.”

Sighing in relief, Storm Runner realized he could finally feel the effects of his race for safety. His legs and wings were burning, and his lungs felt like they would explode. Finally giving in, he fell against the wall and sank to the ground, resting his cheek against the cool mountain stone. His eyelids fluttered closed as fatigue set in. Just a moment’s rest- that was all he would need…

“Storm Runner, wake your lazy flank up!”

Storm Runner shook himself out of his rest and found himself staring his Aviator Training School Commander, Dusk Shine, straight in the eyes. Needless to say, it wasn’t exactly the wakeup he’d hoped for. Ignoring his protesting muscles completely, he stood up and snapped to attention. Dusk Shine chuckled.

“Relax, cadet,” He turned to Crescent Star, “Ms. Crescent Star told me you’re looking to disrupt whatever’s going on topside, is this true?”

“Yes sir,” Storm Runner answered, unlocking himself from the position of attention, but remaining mostly rigid.

“On the record, I’m inclined to say no, but off the record…” Dusk Shine paused, “off the record, Equestria’s stability is on the line. Let’s do this.”

Behind Dusk Shine was a group of ponies; some were students, some cadets, but all shared one thing in common- the determination to retake their school and stop the Awakening. Storm Runner scanned them with his eyes, searching for the familiar fiery mane of Sun Blaze, but he saw nothing. Maybe it was a mistake. Maybe-

Crescent Star approached, hanging her head, and Storm Runner felt a sinking feeling. He already knew what she was about to say.

“I couldn’t find her,” she confessed, “Sun Blaze wasn’t down there, and… that means-“

“She’s dead or unable to be contacted,” Storm Runner finished, silently but with a sharp tone. The news, he found, did not surprise him, but it made the facts no less difficult to bear. His sorrow gave way to fiery rage; the ponies on the surface had not only attacked a school- they’d kidnapped one of his best friends as well. If the issue hadn’t been personal before, it certainly was now. He shook his head slowly, bringing his eyes up to meet Dusk Shine’s.

“Sir,” he said finally, “let’s go get some payback.”

Author's Note:

I feel like I need to apologize for forcing this chapter on you guys. It was done over the span of a month, and I honestly do not feel like it was my best effort, or even second best for that matter. I urge you all not to lose faith- I've picked up my writing style again and I can guarantee that the next chapter will be exponentially better.