• Published 28th Dec 2013
  • 8,773 Views, 594 Comments

It Runs In The Family - Onomonopia

  • ...
17
 594
 8,773

Gone Batty

"Trixie!" Batmare yelled as the azure pony landed beside her, Trixie's white mane flowing behind her as she glared at the white demon that was getting back to its claws. Batmare was just about to ask her a question when a number of other creatures landed beside Trixie, causing Batmare's jaw to drop. "I don't believe this. A Diamond Dog? A foal? A Changeling?...Sombra?"

"That's KING Sombra to you, Dark Knight," Sombra said with a smile as he walked up beside Trixie, his eyes narrowing when he saw the being. "Seems they were right. That's definitely one of the demons--Daragon--but I don't know where Azarock is."

"Azarock fell down into the streets," Batmare said with a bit of shock still in her voice as she looked at the team that Trixie had with her. The Changeling and the Diamond Dog were surprising enough, but the fact that King Sombra was here told Batmare that Trixie had a story to tell. Trixie noticed the look of confusion in Batmare's face and smiled a bit.

"These are my partners and friends. The Changeling is Armora and the Diamond Dog is Bark. The colt is Starshine. Sombra, I am certain, you already know." Batmare nodded to show that she had gotten their names, but that didn't make her any less confused. The white demon, now known to her as Daragon, roared in rage and fired out another blast of pure white towards the ponies and others. Batmare didn't know whether to take the blast herself to protect her friend or jump out of the way, but Trixie and Sombra both got in front of her first.

"Sombra."

"Got it." Both of the unicorns concentrated their magics together to create a shield of both azure and dark energy. With their combined strengths, they were able to quickly deflect the attack skyward, leaving them all safe. Trixie and Sombra then let loose a blast of magic into the demon's chest that stunned it a bit. "Darn it, that took a lot more power than I was expecting," Sombra growled as his horn stopped glowing. "Sorry Trix, I'm still recovering and I don't know how much use I'm going to be in this fight."

"That's alright, I want the four of you going into the streets to help the princesses fight off the demons," Trixie said with the air of a specialist while she looked to the streets. "It seems they could use your help. Also, give Twilight my regards if you see her. Starshine, stay with one of them." The four nodded and ran off towards the streets, but Sombra stopped for a second and turned around.

"Are you sure you can handle this on your own?" he asked with what sounded like...concern in his voice.

"Don't worry, your highness, I'm certain that I will be fine," Trixie said with a playful smirk before turning back to Batmare. "It has certainly been a long time, Scootaloo. I see that you're following in Batman's footsteps."

"Why do I bother wearing the mask?" Batmare grumbled before a loud roar got their attention. Daragon had recovered from the attack and was now charging at them. Trixie's horn glowed again as she destroyed the roof underneath the demon's claws, sending it crashing into the throne room below. "I'm sorry to break up this reunion so early, but we both have work to do. Do you think that you can handle Azarock on your own?" Batmare bit her lip as she thought about it. Daragon had almost killed her by himself and she was certain that Azarock was at least as strong as he was. "I can handle one of them, but not both. Can you stop him?" Trixie asked again.

"Yes...but I'll probably die in the process," Batmare said with a growl as she leapt off the building and down into the streets near the castle, gliding along until she came across the dark demon slaughtering a number of guards. She dive-bombed into the back of Azarock's head and flipped off of it while leaving an exploding batarang on its head, smirking as she came to a landing with a roaring explosion behind her. "That will probably be enough to get his attention," she muttered as the beast turned and began to charge at her, giving her little time to think of a plan.

'First, I'll try some sonics,' Batmare thought as she rolled out of the way and watched the demon run into a lamppost that barely slowed it down. While it was redirecting itself back towards her, she whipped out the sonic batarang and hurled it onto the creature's back. Once it was in place, it sent out a soundwave that caused Batmare to wince, and that was with the protection of the cowl. Azarock experienced the full power of the sonic batarang and covered its ears in agony, howling as it slammed its back into the wall in a desperate attempt to get the device off.

'So it doesn't like the sound, huh?' Batmare thought with a smile as she noticed that the pole it had run into was almost uprooted. She pulled out her bat grapnel and fired it at the pole, the claw grabbing onto the pole, while she ran around to the front of the still-stunned demon. With a tug, she watched as the light post came crashing down on top of the demon's head, stunning it further. 'Alright, that's good but not good enough. I need to find a way to damage it. Maybe some electricity will get me thinking,' she thought with a sinister smile as she activated her shock gauntlets and rushed the demon, driving her right hoof home with her strongest punch...which only ticked off the demon further.

"Oh hell," Batmare said as Azarock grabbed her and threw her across the street and through a window, diving in after her only to find that she had already vanished. It growled as it sniffed the air and began to look around, its rage growing every second that it couldn't find her. It felt a sudden pain in the back of its head and it spun around with a swing of its claws, snarling when all it hit was a batarang. "Please, you'll have to do much better than that to catch me. At least try to beat me," Batmare's voice taunted from the darkness surrounding the demon. Azarock sniffed the air again and smiled as it drove its claws down and launched itself into the air, crashing onto the catwalk on which Batmare was standing.

Batmare tried to pull out her smoke pellet to escape, but Azarock tackled her and drove her through the wall on the other side of the building, both of them skidding across the street. Batmare groaned as she got up, her armor having taken most of the impact, but her head still hurt like hell. Unfortunately for her, Azarock showed no such signs of slowing down and charged at her again. This time she leapt onto his back as he charged past and drove both electrified hooves into his back, zapping the both of them and causing Azarock to dive off the side of the city. Batmare bailed and came crashing down in a park that sat on the side of the mountain near the city, feeling some of her ribs go as she crashed into the ground. She had just gotten back to her hooves when Azarock's claw buried itself into the side of the park and pulled itself back up, glaring at her with hate-filled eyes.

"This is not good," she muttered as she staggered into a fighting stance as Azarock slammed all four of his clawed limbs into the ground, opening his maw far beyond how far it should be able to go, and pointed it at Batmare. She tried to dive out of the way as the demon unleashed a massive burst of darkness that caught her back leg, the armor there being the only thing that prevented her leg from being ripped off. Pain was all that coursed through her mind as she gripped her leg, watching through tear-stained eyes as the demon slowly began to march closer and closer to her. In a final act of defiance, she pulled out her most powerful exploding batarang and prepared to take hem both out.

KABOOM!

Both Batmare and Azarock looked into the sky as a massive vortex of darkness appeared there, shattering the sounds of the battle in the city as lightning began to flash across the sky. Batmare watched as a glowing sphere of energy emerged from the portal and rocketed off towards Canterlot Castle, sending down golden bolts that shook the ground. Then another thing came through the portal, something that surprised both the bat and the demon. It was some sort of metallic ship, completely black and sleek as it flew out of the portal and right towards the two of them. The bottom of it opened and launched some sort of black pillar that landed in front of Batmare, with the black ship flying right into Azarock, exploding upon impact in a massive ball of fire. Batmare had no idea of what to think of the pillar in front of her, but she backed away as quickly as she could since it hissed and began to open. As it opened, it revealed a massive black, metal golem, nearly three times as big as her and much more terrifying. Her eyes were wide as the golem stepped out of the pillar, shaking the ground as it walked towards her. She had no idea what to do or think...until she saw a symbol on the center of its chest.

A single black bat.

"Dad?" she asked weakly as the back of it opened and a figure with a red top and black pants flipped out, her red hair showing under her hood as she landed in front of Batmare. "Robin? What are you-?"

"Don't worry, we're here to help," Robin said with a smile as she did a quick scan of Batmare, whistling when she got to her ribs, and then placed a finger on her ear when she finished. "Yeah B, her ribs are broken and she seems to be in shock. We got here just in time."

"Wait, where's Batman?" Batmare asked as Robin picked her up in her arms, walking Batmare over to the giant golem.

'I'm right here,' the giant golem said as Robin placed Batmare into its hand, the golem then bringing Batmare to the spot where Robin had gotten out. Batmare was then placed inside of the golem, where she saw her father connected to the machine. The black and red clad figure turned his head to Batmare, a thin smile on his face. "Don't worry Scootaloo, I'm here now."

"DAD!" Batmare cried as she wrapped her hooves around his neck, not noticing as the hatch closed behind her. "What are you doing here? And what is this thing?"

"I'm here because you need my help," Batman said as he stood back up, the golem following his every action. "And this is the Bane-Breaker, designed to bring down the nastiest of criminals." Batmare was estatic that her father was there to help her, but something didn't add up for her.

"Don't take this the wrong way, I'm glad you're here, I really am, but how did you know I needed help? I never sent you a message."

"Morgaine told me," Batman said as he turned his head, and in turn the robot's head, to watch Azarock pull himself out of the flaming wreckage that was once the Batwing. Batmare was too stunned at the moment to say anything, so Batman did some deducting. "I take it that that's the demon Azarock that you told me about? I thought that he would be bigger." As if on cue, Azarock howled at Batman and began to take on more darkness, growing larger and larger until he was the same size as the Bane-Breaker. Batman narrowed his eyes as the creature smiled at him, leaning forward and commanding the machine to charge at Azarock, who responded in the same way. Both titans collided with a loud crunch, sending out a shockwave through the streets that one caped crusader failed to avoid.

'Hey watch it B, don't forget that I'm still out here!' Robin yelled over the speakers as Azaorck pushed the Breaker to the ground, the Breaker grabbing both of its jaws to prevent it from biting his head off. Batmare had regained her senses and immediately remembered something she had no time to think of earlier.

"Dad, I managed to save Pumpkin on top of the castle, but I have no idea where she got to," Batmare said with worry in her voice. "Do you think Robin-?"

"Robin. There is a filly still trapped up by castle and she needs to be rescued," Batman said over the intercom as he kicked Azarock off of him, pointing his arm at the beast and pressing a trigger. The Breaker's arm opened up to reveal a rocket which fired at Azarock, covering him in an inferno as it exploded.

'I'm on it,' Robin said as she fired her own grapnel gun and vanished into the city, leaving the two titans alone to do their battle. Azarock was the first to attack, unsheathing his claws again as he charged at the Breaker, roaring wildly until a well-placed kick to the face shut him up. Even though the robot was ten times Batman's weight, it still could keep up with his martial arts skill and reflexes, making it just as dangerous as he was.

"So what do you mean Morgaine told you?" Batmare asked as the Breaker ducked underneath a right hook from Azarock before responding with rapid punches to the gut that sent the demon reeling. Batman followed it up with an elbow to the back of Azarock's head that knocked him to the ground, leaving him open to be picked up by the Breaker, which held the demon over its head before it was brought down spine first onto the robot's knee.

"Morgaine told me that she had a dream about the destruction of Canterlot and the deaths of everypony in Equestria," Batman growled as he kicked Azarock across the park and into a tree, picking up a bench as he passed it and driving it into the demon's head. "She then got into contact with me and told me what was going on, saying that just like her, I had a personal stake in the matter."

"Wait a minute, how does she remember Equestria?" Batmare asked as Azarock kicked the Breaker in the chest and knocked it to the ground. It leapt into the air with claws extended, but Batman engaged the thrusters on the robot and flew into Azarock's gut, both of them flying and fighting at the same time. Azarock's back claw managed to slash off one of the rockets on the Bane-Breaker's leg, which sent both it at the robot into a spiral into the ground outside of the castle. "And what did she mean by a personal stake?"

"I have no idea how she remembers, but she said something about a silver pony," Batman grunted as he forced the machine back to its feet, only to be taken down again by Azarock, which began to claw at the front of the machine and succeeded in ripping off pieces of it at a time. "Time to go," Batman said as he activated the self destruct feature before he turned around and grabbed Batmare, activating the cockpit's ejector seat to launch the both of them out of the suit. Azarock looked up just in time to see the two of them escape before the suit blew, sending the demon falling to the land far below in a blazing inferno. Batman watched it go with a smile before he gently placed Scootaloo on the ground. "As for the personal stake, I assumed that she was talking about Trixie."

"But Trixie betrayed her," Batmare muttered as she and Batman both looked up to where multiple spells were being cast, while somepony was gliding towards them. Robin came landing down next to them with a terrified Pumpkin in her arms and a bruise on her face.

"Little bastard kicked me in the face while I was trying to get her out of some rubble," Robin grumbled as she placed Pumpkin on the ground, watching as she ran over to Batmare with a shake of her head, before she looked to Batman. "I can't believe that you blew up both the Batwing AND the Bane-Breaker in the same day. I know you're made of money but come on."

"It was worth every cent," Batman said as he looked down at Batmare with a hidden smile, watching as Batmare comforted the small filly. "Now come on, Morgaine has probably found a way to mess up..." He turned with a snarl towards the edge, pulling out twin bat blades as he did so. Robin followed his example and whipped out her bow staff, while Batmare looked at both of them in confusion.

"What's going on?" she asked before telling Pumpkin to get someplace safe.

"It's not down," Batman said with a growl, a face guard clamping together over his mouth. Batmare didn't need to ask what he meant because at that moment two dark wings appeared over the edge of the castle which was quickly followed by the dark form of Azarock.

"What do we do?" Batmare asked her father, who responded with a growl.

"We fight."