• Published 10th Jun 2013
  • 1,615 Views, 129 Comments

Equestrian Throwdown - Hex Mark



An alternate Equestria where ponies get their entertainment by watching summoned monsters compete in a slew of games. In order to escape her massive debt, Lyra decides to compete and summons an unlikely creature.

  • ...
11
 129
 1,615

Party of Joy

"So all I have to do is drink this potion, right?" Skylark asked, holding the corked glass bottle in his hand as the trio were walking back to Ponyville. The purple unicorn nodded as Lyra seemed to trot with a skip, excited about how things seemed to be going well so far.

"That's right. However, the potion will need time to work, it'd be best to take it before going to sleep." Twilight Sparkle advised, and the human smiled before turning his attention back to the road in front of him, only to be met with a familiar pink face inches away from his own. He stumbled back and fell onto his rear end as Twilight caught the bottle with her magic. "Careful!" she quickly admonished the human and looked forward to see Pinkie Pie.

"There you are, Skylie!" Pinkie smiled, bouncing on her hooves with a springy sound. "There's something superspecialawesomethatyouandLyraneedtosee-!" the mare's mouth went into overdrive, confusing the human who clearly never ran into anybody who could speak so fast.

"Could you please slow down?!" Skylark cut her off, only to have a pink hoof pressed against his mouth, his nose being covered up as well.Why does it smell sweet?! was all he could think before the mare spoke again.

"It's rude to interrupt- but I getcha!" She smiled, yanking the human along as she galloped. Lyra and Twilight looked at each other, the former unable to stop herself from giggling at the display before the two galloped to follow Pinkie Pie and Skylark. The four would slow down once they reached a barn at Sweet Apple Acres, allowing the human time to rub his left wrist with a soft sigh of relief and a smile.

"So Pinkie, what's this 'super special awesome' thing you wanted to show them?" Twilight raised a brow, and the earth pony giggled, waving her tail.

"It wouldn't be so special if I told them, right?" she asked, opening the door for them and ushering Lyra and Skylark inside, the latter of whom looked around. It was pretty dark in the barn, which only served to worry him.

"I don't think this is-" he tried to voice his concern, just before the room lit up and a mass of ponies jumped out of hiding.

"SURPRISE!!" they all cheered in unison, causing both Lyra and Skylark to flinch in surprise, although the human was noticeably more concerned. Lyra blinked before a bright smile spread itself on her face and she giggled, turning to face her human.

"Relax. This is a party!" Lyra said, only to then notice his confusion. Pinkie Pie decided to pick up the slack, zipping over to the two.

"It's fun to celebrate! After all, Lyra finally found a human, AND she has someone who can help her!" Pinkie justified herself, playfully hoof-punching the human's shoulder. Rubbing his arm, Skylark managed a soft chuckle as he took in the sight of this 'party' as Lyra called it. After a few moments, he received a dumbfounded look from the pink mare, who nudged him. "Say, this isn't the first party you've been to, is it?" she asked her, and the human rubbed the back of his head.

"Sorry to say, but yes. This is the first party." he admitted, only for the mare to gasp, yanking him by the arm and Lyra by the hoof to lead them to the cake.

"You just gotta have some of this cake- it's the best we could make at Sugar Cube Corner! I know, I've had one of them myself." she smiled brightly, Lyra and Skylark looked at one another for a moment. The unicorn smiled and took the initiative by cutting the first two slices, one for herself and one for her human, giving him a plate and a fork.

"Thank you.." he smiled, looking as the other ponies began to enjoy the party and took the first bite of it. As if hit hard by the taste, he stayed still and silent for a few moments, his eyes watering up as he savored the sweetness of it. They weren't tears of sorrow, quite the opposite. He couldn't place his finger on it, but something about tasting the cake made him...happy. He took a moment to wipe his eyes with his wrist, managing a smile as tears rolled down his cheeks. This did not get past Twilight, who moved over and brushed against him slightly.

"Are you crying?" she asked, and the human shook is head with a mix of the smile and confusion on his face, Fluttershy making her way over once she saw the display.

"I"m just...so...I mean...I don't even know what..." he couldn't piece the words together, and the yellow pegasus put a hoof on his chest with an empathetic smile.

"That feeling is happiness.." Fluttershy told him softly, and the human nodded softly.

"Whatever it is, I like it." he half-chuckled, and Twilight wrote down a few more notes before opting to write down a letter instead of asking Spike- this was something she felt that she had to do.

Dear Princess Celestia,
I have learned a lot from spending the day with Skylark. Although others may call him a monster, I have seen that is not the case. While I do not know what makes humans the monsters that Skylark has admitted them to be capable of, I am amazed to see just how much he is like us.

The unicorn paused to look at Lyra and Skylark, who looked like they were having the time of their lives with the other ponies. She couldn't help but smile warmly as she focused on the human. He laughed along with Lyra and her friends, he was willing to entertain the little colts and fillies that joined the party. Just the sight of it warmed her heart.

The Magic of Friendship is amazing, even in these times with the corruption over the Land of Equestria, it reaches into the hearts of others. I can say without a doubt that the Magic of Friendship can end this corruption.

Your Faithful Student,

Twilight Sparkle

~to be continued~

Author's Note:

MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYPONY~
Edit: I was buzzed when I wrote this chapter, so that's why I kinda went a little nuts :D

I really hope I did the friendship report thing justice- t'was my first attempt.

I was trying to avoid doing this sort of thing- but for the life of me I could not do Zecora justice, so I skipped it. I hope I never have to do such a cop-out like this again.
I also know that there may be weird spacing, I tried to fix it but for some reason it liked to mess with me.

Also, me being the indecisive moron that I am, I changed a bit of one of the previous chapters, namely to change difference in height between the ponies and Skylark: Skylark [and Balrog by extension] are now slightly shorter than the ponies w/o them standing on their hind legs. To clear up any confusion- Miles and Balrog are both officially 6 feet tall, but their scale is different than this version of Equestria's. In short, Athelina is a smaller world than Equestria.