• Published 28th May 2013
  • 2,064 Views, 92 Comments

Luna's Lessons - Rhonie8k



Luna has returned after 1000 years of banishment but in a foalish state. To prevent her from being ruined by the nobles and to learn about her new world, Celesitia sends her sister to Ponyville.

  • ...
1
 92
 2,064

An Unexpected Guest

Dearest Sister,

It has been two days since we arrived in Ponyville and things have settled down a bit. Joysticks just left to return to Manehatten, and we thought we would use our last day off to tell you of our exploits though few and likely boring to read about. We sat on the outskirts of Ponyville for nearly six hours before anything that could be taken as your commotion occurred, and then we made a run for it. Nopony saw us enter and Joysticks is the only one to be in or out of the arcade since we arrived. He is a very nice pony, you should invite him for cake one day as thanks for all his help. We seem to have wandered off our train of thought. Oh yes, the best we could make of the commotion was everypony was after Twilight Sparkle’s second gala ticket. We could have sworn you had tickets for each of her friends.
So after our arrival, we had a very long lesson on how the arcade works. We started with the basics, such as operating hours and power switches, it was all easy enough to understand. Next, he let us have some hooves-on experience playing some of the games. Did you know there is a game where a plumber has to save you from a giant turtle? The ideas some ponies have are crazy. The game we found most enticing was Pony Kombat, you pick from a variety of ponies each with a unique fighting style, and try to defeat all the others without dying, Joysticks said we did very good our my first time. Here we are just wasting your time with games you probably already know about.
After that, he showed us how to run the ticket counter. We were left alone to play more games while he went into town to get us some necessities to last about a week. He showed us the upstairs apartment and helped us settle in for the night. We must guess he slept in the arcade. It would be weird for him to get a room at the local tavern we would think. Today he kept “breaking” the machines and having us fix them until we could do it blindfolded, with one hoof, and no magic. He said we could use magic in the future if we wanted he just wanted to make sure we truly understood. He gave us the keys after that and left. Then we decided to write you this letter and now you are all caught up.
Signed

Princess Luna Goddess of the Night

Luna ignited her horn and in a flash of royal blue her letter was sent. She took a moment to look around her small apartment. The entire living space was mostly one giant room. The only two doors led downstairs and to the bathroom. Despite the lack of walls, the space was nicely divided. The apartment as a whole could be looked at as one giant square divided into four smaller squares. The first square, it would fall to the immediate left coming in from downstairs was the closed-off bathroom. To the right of the entrance sat a table and some chairs for eating and a few shelves for personal things. In the far right corner was a small kitchen; just a stove, a sink, a refrigerator, and a small cupboard. The last space housed a sizable bed for such a small apartment and a wardrobe. Each wall, excluding the bathrooms, housed a single small window with one exception. The window near the sitting room was larger than the others giving a wonderful view of the town below.

Luna made her way to the large window and looked out onto the small town. It was busy at this hour. It was just growing dark and the ponies of the town scampered about as they returned to their homes after a day of shopping, playing, or even work. Luna looked toward the sky and gazed upon the moon, her moon. Her sister was still tasked with the duties of both sun and moon. Upon her return, Luna had attempted to raise the moon but to no avail, the sisters agreed that as soon as Luna was capable she would once again be entrusted with the responsibilities of the moon, but for now she could only marvel at its beauty.

Luna retreated to her bed with the thought of calling it a night. Just as she was about to cover herself, a shadowy figure appeared at the large window and began assaulting it. The startled Princess threw the covers in the air and fell over in shock. Quickly regaining her composure Luna made her way to the window. Uncertainty plagued her as she opened the window.

“BEGONE FOUL BEAST! THE GODDESS OF THE NIGHT COMMANDS YOU TO LEAVE THIS PLACE AT ONCE AND NEVER SPEAK OF THIS INCIDENT AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!”

Luna was hoping the Royal Canterlot Voice of old would be enough to scare off whatever intruder had been out there. She looked to the streets below in an attempt to find the perpetrator but saw nopony and no place nearby to hide. She closed the window, locked it, and turned around to find a strange sight. A white unicorn with an electric blue mane was wandering around her new apartment, she wore sunglasses with thick, purples lenses even though the sun was well past setting. Her cutie mark was a musical note of some sort; Luna never was good with that sort of thing. The unicorn seemed unconcerned by the fact she had broken into the apartment.

The unicorn stopped her tour of the apartment and turned to look at the bewildered princess, or at least Luna assumed she was looking at her. Those glasses hid her eyes so well there was no way to know for certain.

“YOUR VOICE IS AWESOME! If I could shout like that I wouldn’t even need a mic while I DJ. I am so jealous. The name is Vinyl Scratch, but some ponies know me as D.J.Pon-3 but that’s just my stage name. Sorry to bother you. I thought Joysticks was in town and I wanted to stop by and ask a favor. I never expected him to rent this place out though, not with having to go through the arcade to get up here. Sorry for just bursting in but my ears were ringing, still are actually, after that awesome shout and I just had to commend you on it.”

Luna just stood in awe, this unicorn that pounded on her window as she was about to go to sleep was telling her she liked the way she shouted at her. Luna had no idea what to do but stand there staring.

Vinyl took the 'way too silent for her comfort' uncomfortable silence as a cue that maybe she should go. She turned away from this new pony and started to make her way back out the window. She used her magic to unlock the window and was just about to hop out when a booming sound knocked her off her hooves before she could even get one hoof out the window.

“WOULD YOU LIKE TO STAY FOR SOME TEA?”

Luna had no idea why she had asked that and even less on why she insisted on once again using the Royal Canterlot Voice. It did get the other pony’s attention, and she made her way over to the table and took a seat with haste.

“So what brings you to Ponyville oh Goddess of the Night?” Vinyl snickered and only then did she realize the unicorn she had intruded upon had wings. Her jaw dropped at the realization she had invaded the privacy of the actual Goddess of the Night, Princess Luna.

Luna tried to surpass a giggle at the sight of her new companion’s realization but failed miserably. She put the tea kettle on and took the chair opposite Vinyl.

“Our sister, Princess Celestia, we assume you’ve heard of her. She decided it would be best for us to stay in Ponyville until we can return to my duties. Our return from the moon has left us in a less than ideal state for moving the moon or dealing with nobles.” Luna fought another giggle fit, as Vinyl tried to get her original I don’t care attitude back.

The kettle whistled and Luna grabbed it, two cups, and a few tea bags with her magic and brought them to the table. She prepared a cup for herself before checking on her guest. The amusement of Vinyl’s awe had finally waned and Luna gave off a heavy sigh in an attempt to snap her out of it.

Vinyl, with help of her magic, began to steep her tea. When she got it to a level for her liking she looked around for some sugar. When she didn’t see any she hesitantly asked, “Umm, Luna, your majesty do you have any sugar by chance?”

“ONE LUMP, OR TWO?” Luna boomed hoping it would return the unicorn to her natural state.

“TWO!” Vinyl replied trying to replicate the power of the Royal Canterlot Voice with a bit less success.

“You just have to teach me how to do that awesome voice. I know there has to be some secret to it I just don’t understand. So let’s go back to my question, why the arcade of all places?”

Luna sipped her tea, glad the unicorn was back to herself. It was off-putting for a pony to completely change when they find out you are royalty.

“Well, it was the only place in Ponyville not currently being occupied. Joysticks wasn’t willing to sell it, but when we offered to run the arcade in addition to paying rent he got on board with the idea. We must say though it’s not entirely what we were expecting.”

“Alright! I loved this place and when Joysticks decided to move shop I was so irritated. This is the only place in Ponyville set up like a never-ending rave.” Vinyl’s exclaimed her smile back in full force now. “When I saw the light on through the window, I ran over to try and talk him into staying or selling me one of his machines. This is just as awesome, it’s getting late though and I need to get home. I’ll stop by tomorrow if you’re going to be open.” She was halfway out the window before she finished talking and looked back for a response.

“GOODNIGHT VINYL SCRATCH AND PLEASANT DREAMS! THE ARCADE RESUMES REGULAR BUSINESS HOURS STARTING TOMORROW!” Luna called with a smile as she watched the unicorn’s horn light up as she began to walk vertically down the side of the building.

“That trick is awesome at parties.” Her unicorn friend shouted up as she read the streets below.

Luna returned to her bed and took out a small piece of paper and a quill. She quickly scribbled a few words and sent the message on its way.

P. S.

It seems we made a friend.