• Published 30th May 2013
  • 402 Views, 6 Comments

A Tropical Odyssey - DJ-BRONI3



A cruise ship wreck that turns into an exciting tropical adventure!

  • ...
 6
 402

Crimson turns crimson

As they trotted along, North stayed close to DJ, occasionally bumping into his leg by accident, as he tried to figure out his surroundings. "So... are we on a tropical island of some sort?" he asked DJ, seeming a little bit disorientated. "And what happened on the ship. The last thing I remember was my ears hurting a lot, then flying..."

"Yeah, we're on a tropical island," replied DJ, smiling down at the young colt. "I think I know what probably happened to you. When the ship sank, you must have been thrown off the boat. That happened to me too! The others must have found you, because you arrived here on a life boat with them! Boy, have things been getting pretty crazy around..." Suddenly, DJ stopped talking. He had seen something. A body, lying in the shadows. "Stay here, North. I've just got something to check out!" He thought it better for North to stay here, just in case. "I don't want to scare the little guy!" he thought to himself. "Especially if that pony over there is...

He galloped over to the body. It was a purple unicorn. The mare was injured quite badly, her hind leg bleeding. He looked at her for signs of life, checking her pulse and looking for her breathing. He sighed with relief. She was still alive. He called back to North. "Hey, it's ok! Can you come over here? I've found another survivor!”

"Oh... On me way." he said, starting to walk. He almost walked past them, before realising a distinct lack of white or purple in his vision, and turning back towards them. He noticed a small red blotch near the pony's leg, before realising she was hurt.

When North had come over to him, DJ smiled at him. “Don’t worry, she may be hurt, but I think our friend Sterling can help! Right now we need to get her back to the others. With North’s help, he hoisted the unicorn onto his back before trotting slowly back up the shore to the others. “I hope she makes it...” DJ thought to himself.

DJ and North finally made it back to the others, and found that Sterling had also returned. "Phew, I'm glad he's back too!" thought DJ. "I don't know what would happen to this filly if he wasn't here to help her out!" As he neared them, DJ called out to him. "Hey, Sterling! We're gonna need some help over here! We found another survivor, but she's injured quite badly! Could you see if you can treat her?" He brought the unicorn over to one of the hammocks and set her gently into it.

"I really want to stay and help out, but I'm no use at medicine! Anyway, I think it's time we started thinking of a way off this island." DJ said to the others. "I think, if we could cut down a few of these palm trees that they could be tied together to make a raft. I'm gonna need some help though. If anypony wants to help me, I'll be just down the shore a little bit. I've no idea how we're going to cut them down though!" With that, DJ trotted off towards a clump of trees a little further down the shore.

After DJ had left, Sterling rushed over to the injured pony as fast as he could. It would be his first ever test as a doctor, so the situation unnerved him quite a bit. He noticed the dark purple unicorn's scratches and bruises. "I hope I don't mess up with this patient. She looks like a fine young mare..." thought Sterling apprehensively, worried that he would make a grave mistake. "Maybe I can try this herb I found to help her inflammatory response work more quickly first, and then I could find some sort of covering to close the wound..."

The herb Sterling was thinking about was one shaped like a palm tree with many leaf brushes. It was colloquially known as 'Superclot' because it was supposed to be able to help create clots for a scratched pony, accomplished by the salts that washed onto the leaf's surface as it is removed from the herb to maintain water balance. However, Sterling knew it would be a risk because not every pony experienced the same effectiveness with the herb. He prayed in Celestia's name that it would be effective for the beautiful purple unicorn... 'Oh I hope this works... she looks too dashing to be injured like this.' thought Sterling with hope.

He approached the purple unicorn with great care, being careful not to aggravate her too much as he approached. He applied the herb by letting it sit on the cut. Hoping that the process wouldn't be too painful, he also gently swiped the herb across the cut so that the salts covered the entire area.

As he worked at trying to care for the unicorn, he couldn't stop thinking about her. "What's her name? Where's she from? Why do I suddenly want to know her more?" thought Sterling with great confusion. "If this feeling is this so-called 'love' everypony else went through in University of Manehattan, then I'm not buying into it! I'm only 20, and I still have to set up my career! What if she doesn't want to know me either? That happened when I had a crush on this other pony long ago. I thought she was beautiful as a cheerpony with her long yellow hair and cheery nature, but all she wanted was just a jock, not some "no-lifer" as she would say! UGGH Why am I suddenly thinking so much about this pony?!"

Sterling was mired in his thoughts for that purple pony. Maybe it was because he was jealous of other stallions getting their mares because they were strong and buff, while he was merely a puny, nerdy stallion. "Besides, who would want me anyway? It's not like I've got muscles or anything, and I realized that with my previous crush anyway..." he said to himself. "Well that's all I can do for now. I still need a covering for her wound!"

Suddenly, the unicorn stirred. Her eyes opened slowly and heavily. She groaned quietly and closed her eyes momentarily. She opened her eyes again and lifted her head up to see a quite handsome red stallion close to her, she blushed before looking down at her legs. One front leg was scratched and bruised and the other was bleeding a little bit, but you could see it was bleeding quite a bit before. She looked around where she was. There were other ponies here, quite a few other ponies, she looked back at her leg then back at the red stallion with another small blush. "W-where am I?" she asked with a soft voice "What happened?"

"Oh hi..." Sterling said shyly. "Umm right now, we're on a tropical island. The S. S. Seagallop sank. It probably hit something but none of us are really sure. DJ BRONI3, one of the survivors, saw that you were badly injured. When I came back from the jungles collecting food and herbal medicine, he told me to care for you. I applied this herb onto you, hoping that its salts would speed your recovery and clean the wound." Sterling explained. Throughout the explanation he stuttered profusely, obviously feeling flustered at the pretty looking unicorn.

"Oh I forgot to introduce myself!" Sterling shouted with sudden realization. "I'm, I'm... Sterling Crimson. I didn't mean to shout sorry... I'm from Manehattan. I just.. graduated from their university's medical school in hopes of being a doctor. In fact, you're my first patient haha..." Sterling laughed uncomfortably. 'Why am I so nervous around her?' thought a confused Sterling. "Umm... by the way... what's your name?" Sterling asked cautiously.

The unicorn giggled at Sterling's nervousness and blushed slightly, "I-I'm Evening Glory" she said, getting out of the hammock slowly. "I come from Canterlot. I'm n-not much, just a mare who loves her garden" she blushed a bit deeper then let it fade as she stood up on all fours with a wobble, she lifted her head up when she was stable to continue a conversation "A-A doctor? Wow, you must be pretty smart.." her blushed returned as she looked around where they were, they seemed to already have collected something before they found her. Looking back at Sterling, trying to manage her blush to a low level.

Evening's stomach was flittering, she had never felt like that before, she never liked other ponies, she was always one to be by herself in a garden, or practicing her magic at night. So why did she suddenly want to talk to this pony? Her mind spun with thoughts as she tried to make herself look busy balancing herself.

"Well, there's a few others." Sterling replied. "Wait, you're from Canterlot? Wow umm... that's a classy combination if I do say so myself. I collect lots of plants for medicine. People may think I'm weird for using organic methods, but I find them very useful."

Suddenly, Sterling had an idea. "I'm going to keep looking for plants and herbs for food and medicine. Would you like to come? I know about some plants, but I'm still trying to be fully acquainted with them. I was hoping your expertise on gardening would help."

"Oh, I w-wouldn't call myself an expert.." Evening protested, lower her head and looking down at the ground, she swayed her hoof against the ground as she looked back up at him. For Sterling, it was calming and unnerving at the same time when it came to speaking with this unicorn. It was a different feeling he had from the cheerleader he crushed on long ago. He wasn't sure why it was the case, but one thing was certain; he wanted to be with her more.

"I-I'd love to c-come with you." she smiled, she moved closer to the red unicorn, still blushing, until she was almost touching him. "Which way are we going?" she asked. With that Sterling and Evening, still talking cheerfuly to one another, trotted off into the jungle in search of herbs...