• Published 21st May 2013
  • 6,772 Views, 152 Comments

Under Our Wing - Kodeake



While on their Honeymoon, Twilight Sparkle and Rainbow Dash receive word of tragedy back home. Now it is up to them to fix the shattered life of a young filly.

  • ...
20
 152
 6,772

1. Forever Yours

Under Our Wing
Chapter 1
Forever Yours

Rainbow Dash stood proudly next to Twilight Sparkle. They stood side by side facing Princess Celestia, both of them garbed in beautiful, matching white dresses. Rainbow stole a quick glance at the unicorn standing next to her. Her indigo bangs rested above her eyes, while the back was done up in an elegant bun behind her head. She smiled at the gorgeous mare, Twilight returning the smile.

Rainbow switched her attention back to her own mane, examining the tips of her rainbow bangs hanging out over her forehead and the flowing mane falling over her shoulders that was tied at the end. She was never one for looking pretty, but Twilight had insisted she at least brush her mane. Then Rarity had gotten involved. Rainbow shuddered as she remembered the dress maker’s nearly crazed look when she had informed her that she was planning on only brushing her mane. Two and a half hours later she had nearly been late, but her mane had never been so beautiful. For Twilight, she would wear her mane like that every day.

“Do you, Rainbow Dash, take Twilight Sparkle as your lawfully wedded wife?” Rainbow was snapped back to reality by Celestia’s all important words. She opened her jaw uselessly for a second; her words getting stuck in her throat as reality came crashing down on her. Here she was, zoning out in the middle of her own wedding! She closed her mouth, took a deep breath through her nose, and smiled.

“I do.”

“And do you, Twilight Sparkle, take Rainbow Dash as your lawfully wedded wife?” Celestia asked, switching her attention over to the unicorn standing beside Rainbow.

“I do,” Twilight replied, looking over and grinning at the mare she was marrying.

“Then I now pronounce you wife and wife. You may now kiss the bride.” Celestia cheered, smiling as a giggle rippled through the crowd at the odd but necessary rephrasing of traditional wedding vows. The giggles shifted to adoring ‘aww’s as Rainbow leaned in and kissed Twilight. The crowd erupted in cheers, stamping their hooves on the ground and yelling words of congratulations.

Twilight finally broke the passionate kiss and turned out to face the audience. She looked out over the relatively small group of close friends and family. Her four other friends and Spike were there, along with Rainbow’s family. There was also Shining Armour and Cadence, both of them stamping their hooves and grinning up at the newly weds. Twilight’s eyes scanned the crowed for a while longer until they fell upon two empty seats in the front row, the reserved tags still resting on the cushions. She strained her vision, trying to read the names of the ponies who had failed to show up, though she already had a pretty good idea.

She squinted, the names on the two cards becoming clear enough to read. “Twilight Velvet” to the left, directly next to the centre isle, and to its right was “Night Light”. Twilight felt a hint of moisture form in her eyes. Her own parents had failed to show up to her wedding. She felt the overwhelming desire to break down and sob right there on the wedding alter, but something stopped her. It was soft, yet she could feel strong, toned muscled beneath the downy feathers. Resting over her back was the cyan wing of rainbow Dash, the pegasus herself looking at Twilight with concern etched into her features.

Twilight rubbed her eyes with the back of her hoof before standing, Rainbow rising with her. Together they walked down the centre isle, Twilight’s eyes lingering on the two empty seats in the front row before she passed them by. They trotted out of the small Ponyville church, Rainbow’s wing never once losing its grip on Twilight’s shoulders. Once they were outside Rainbow slipped her wing off of her wife’s back and lowered herself to the ground, inviting Twilight to get on her back.

While traditionally they would have been taken away in a carriage, they had instead chosen to fly away from the church. Rainbow had said it would ‘look a lot cooler then some lousy carriage’, but Twilight knew that deep down Rainbow could be quite the romantic. She hopped up on her back, carefully avoiding the wings sticking out from two perfectly formed holes in the dress. With a powerful flap they were in the sky, heading towards the library to get ready for the reception.

As they flew Twilight allowed her thoughts to wander, taking her back through her memories of the past year. It was almost 14 months ago that they had gone on their first date. And 11 months since Twilight’s life had crumpled around her.

“Please tell me this is a joke?” Twilight’s father, Night Light, nearly begged. He stood next to his wife, Twilight Velvet, as they regarded their daughter with pleading looks.

“No, dad, I would never joke about something like this. Rainbow and I are together.” Twilight said, wrapping a hoof around her marefriend’s cyan neck.

“It’s just…” Twilight Velvet stumbled over her own words, giving Night Light the chance to speak for her.

“It’s unnatural.” He supplied, stamping his hoof firmly on the ground. Twilight Velvet nodded her head in agreement.

“What do you mean?” Twilight asked, confused and a little surprised at her parent’s reaction.

“He means it’s wrong. A mare cannot love another mare. Love is for a stallion and a mare only.” Twilight’s mother explained gently, trying to ease the blow as best she could.

“How do you know that? Why can’t a mare love another mare? I know I love Rainbow-”

“You do not love her.” Her father interrupted firmly, glaring at his daughter.

“You. This is your fault!” He accused, switching his glare to the rainbow maned mare.

“What did you do to my daughter? This never would have happened without you!” He struggled to keep his voice down, stepping up to get in Rainbow’s face.

“I didn’t do anything.” Rainbow muttered out through her clenched jaw. She felt her anger begin to heat up in her chest as the stallion got more in her face.

“You did something! My daughter would never be one of you unless she was forced!”

“I did nothing to force her hoof.” Rainbow repeated, grinding her teeth in an attempt to quell the rage growing in her gut.

“What did you do? Are you abusing her? Are you beating her?” His face was a crimson red as he yelled at the pegasus.

“I would never do that to Twilight!” Rainbow yelled defensively, her wings flaring open out of instinct.

“Is it blackmail then?”

“Dad! She didn’t do anything! This was my choice!” Twilight yelled, trying to prevent the fight she could see on the horizon. They both ignored her comment.

“I. Did. Nothing.” Rainbow repeated, keeping her voice low, but still firm.

“Don’t lie to me, you dirty fillyfooler, Twilight would never affiliate herself with the likes of you!”

That was the last straw. Rainbow pulled back her hoof, ready to punch him right in his beat red face, but stopped herself. What would Twilight think if she did that? No matter what he said, he was still her father. She never got a chance to find out, however, as a lavender hoof beat her to the chance, smacking him and snapping his head to the side. Twilight Velvet gasped in shock while Twilight stood above her father, seething with rage.

“Don’t you EVER call her that again!” She screamed as she glared down at her father, a red welt forming on his cheek.

“Get. Out.” He breathed quietly, turning his head back to face his daughter.

“Night Light-”Twilight Velvet tried, but was silenced by her husband.

“GET OUT OF MY HOUSE!” He shrieked, panting as his anger took control.

“You are not my daughter! You are nothing to me! You are nothing!” He screamed again. Twilight wilted under his stern glare. Her horn glowed her signature purple, enveloping her and Rainbow Dash in a magical aura.

“Goodbye, Night Light.” Twilight said sadly before casting her spell, the room filled with a bright flash and a pop. When the light dimmed down only Night Light and Twilight Velvet were left in the room.

Twilight was brought out of her memory when Rainbow landed on the ground. She slipped off her wife’s back, taking in her surroundings. Instead of back to the library, Rainbow had brought her to a hill overlooking a valley outside of Ponyville. In the valley below a stream could be seen, cutting through the rich green of the grass. She looked back to Rainbow in confusion as the pegasus walked to the edge of the hill and sat down facing the valley.

“Rainbow? Why are we out here? We have a reception to go to.”

“You were thinking about them again, weren’t you?” Rainbow asked quietly, looking out toward the valley before them.

“It’s been eleven months, Rainbow. I guess I never really expected them to show up, but it would have been nice.” Twilight walked over and sat next to the pegasus. She received a wing draped over her shoulder as she did.

“Yeah, it would.” Rainbow trailed off as she wrapped her wing a little tighter around Twilight, bringing her right up against her fur. A hoof joined her wing, and Twilight laid her head on Rainbow’s shoulder. For a time they sat in silence as the sun slowly got closer to the horizon. Suddenly, Rainbow felt Twilight’s body start to shake, and a sob echoed into the valley. The fading sound was joined by another, and then another as Twilight cried into Rainbow’s shoulder, wrapping her hooves up and around the pegasus’s neck.

Rainbow sat and held the unicorn as she cried. Whispering small words of comfort into her ear and rubbing her back in slow circular motions. She felt a wet spot form on her shoulder through her dress, but she didn’t care. Twilight was worth so much more then a single ruined dress.

Eventually, the sobs grew quieter and less frequent, slowly petering out to quiet sniffling. Twilight lifted her head and wiped her eyes with the back of her hoof. Her face was still stained with tears, but she looked happier then she had.

“You alright?” Rainbow asked as Twilight took a few deep breaths.

“I think so… now, at least. Thanks, Rainbow, I needed that.” She leaned in and gave the pegasus a quick kiss on the lips before she stood.

“So, reception?” She offered, Rainbow standing up as well. A shriek was torn from her lungs as Rainbow launched off the ground, spun 180 degrees above her, swooped down, and blasted off into the sky with Twilight in her forelegs. Twilight’s cries of terror shifted to laughing as Rainbow did a few loops in the air, barrel rolling and cork screwing towards Ponyville. Before either of them knew it Rainbow landed on the library’s balcony, both laughing as Rainbow set Twilight down and alighted next to her.

“My hair’s ruined, Rainbow!” Twilight jabbed playfully, still trying to suppress her giggles.

“So is mine, but cheering you up was worth it.” She grinned back at Twilight, motioning to the house.

“We don’t need to be too fancy for the reception, ya know.”

“I suppose.” Twilight relented, opening the balcony door with a flick of her horn, allowing bother herself and Rainbow into her bedroom. Twilight walked to her vanity, levitating a brush she began to brush her mane, hoping to at least get it to decent levels. She didn’t want to face Rarity without at least brushing it. Meanwhile, Rainbow had undertaken the surprisingly difficult task of getting out of her wedding dress.

“Hey, Twi a little help here?” Twilight turned her head to look at what was probably the most pathetic display she had ever seen. On the floor was Rainbow Dash, writhing around as she tried to reach the zipper on the back of the dress. How Rarity thought that was a good idea, they would never know. Her wings were fully extended as she stretched her neck around. She managed to get the zipper in her teeth, only for her to roll over onto her stomach, the zipper slipping out of her grip.

Twilight had to suppress a giggle as Rainbow tried to reach over her head with both hooves, getting up on two legs as she tried to stretch over her head. She grasped the zipper between her hooves, but lost her balance and stumbled back, falling to her flanks. Twilight couldn’t hold it in any longer as she burst out laughing, earning a scowl from the pegasus.

“Ha-ha, now are you gonna help me or not?”

Twilight held in a small chuckle as she made her way over the pegasus and helped her stand up. With a quick glow of magic the zipper was down, and Rainbow squirmed out of her dress. She took a deep breath and expelled it slowly.

“Feels so good to be out of that thing!” She sighed happily, stretching out her back and legs. Twilight giggled and turned her magic to her own dress, grabbing the zipper and pulling it down. She slipped out of her own dress, folding it neatly and resting it on her bed to be put away later, doing the same with Rainbow’s.

“Shall we?” Twilight asked, motioning towards the balcony. Rainbow nodded and made her way out the door with Twilight. She leaned down to the ground, once again allowing Twilight to clamber onto her back. Once she was secure she squeezed the pegasus around the neck, informing her she was ready to go. Rainbow launched off the wood floor into the golden light of sunset, within seconds they arrived at Sugarcube Corner, where the reception was being held.

They alighted down on the path in front of the pastry shop. Judging from the music poring out onto the street, Rainbow guessed the party has started without them. She felt Twilight slide off her back and walked up to the door. She reached a hoof up to open it, only for it to swing before she could touch it. Standing beyond the doorway stood Pinkie Pie with a deep scowl.

“You’re late.” She deadpanned, glaring at the newly wed couple.

“Uh, yeah, sorry ‘bout that Pinkie, we kinda-” Rainbow was cut off as a pink hoof grabbed both her and Twilight and pulled them inside.

“We’ll need to party extra hard to make up for the time you missed. You two still need to have your first dance, then you need to cut the cake, and then…” Pinkie rambled on about all the things they needed to do, everything they had to do as a newly wed couple. Rainbow managed to pull herself out of Pinkie’s grip, slipping out of her arm and causing Pinkie to stop and look at her.

“Sounds great, Pinkie, but I’d like to spend some time with Twi first, if you don’t mind.” Pinkie stood for a second before nodding in understanding.

“Alright, Dashie, just come find me when you want to start.” She chirped happily before bouncing through the crowd, disappearing somewhere in the bakery. Rainbow sighed and looked around her. The shop wasn’t as full as it had been at previous parties, but there was a fair amount of ponies crammed into the relatively small space. She spotted an unoccupied booth next to the window and motioned towards it, Twilight nodded, and together they made their way over to it.

Rainbow slid into the booth, Twilight sliding in next to her. She slid right up next to Rainbow, leaning against her side and resting her head on Rainbow’s shoulder, careful to avoid stabbing her with her horn. Rainbow wrapped a hoof around her and drew her closer, pressing their coats together.

“What’s up?” Rainbow asked casually, looking out over the crowd, either sitting and eating or dancing to the music playing through the building. It was loud enough to be heard clearly, though not so loud as to make conversation anywhere in the building difficult.

“Seriously? We just got married, and the best you can think of is ‘what’s up’?” Twilight asked through a snort of laughter, turning her head to face her wife.

“What would you prefer, ‘what is going on, oh gorgeous wife of mine’?”

“Yes.” Twilight poked Rainbow playfully in the ribs, earning a jab to her own chest.

“Too bad, because that’s the last time I’m saying anything so… corny.” Both of them shared a laugh for a few seconds, eventually dimming down to a comfortable silence.

“So really, what’s up?” Rainbow asked again, a little more seriously then before.

“Just thinking, Rainbow.” Twilight replied with an idle smile on her lips.

“’Bout what?”

“Honestly? Us. Everything we’ve done up to this point, even before we started dating.” She turned her head enough to steal a kiss from the pegasus next to her.

“Yeah, we’ve been through a lot, haven’t we? I mean, we’ve saved Equestria how many times?” Rainbow chuckled, looking off into the crowd.

“More times then I care to count.” Twilight agreed with a small laugh. For a while they sat in silence, looking out into the crowd. They shared the silence until a rather loud rumble emanated from Rainbow’s stomach, causing Twilight to giggle.

“I suppose it’s time to cut the cake?” Twilight offered, already sliding out of the booth.

-_-_-_-

Twilight trotted happily into the library, a sleeping purple and green dragon resting on her back. Behind her stumbled a half-asleep Rainbow Dash, eyelids dropping and steps slow and sluggish. Twilight turned to her with a look of amusement before disappearing up the stair well. Rainbow took the opportunity to lay back on the couch, grateful to be off her aching hooves. She glanced over to the wall clock that ticked and tocked merrily through the silent tree. Judging from where the hands were located, Rainbow deduced it was a little past eleven at night. She grimaced; not only had she been denied the ability to sleep in, she had also been kept from her daily napping schedule. Both those factors combined led to a very tired and grumpy pegasus.

Twilight came back down the stairs, grinning as she descended without the small dragon on her back. She looked over at the pegasus desperately resisting sleep on her couch. From the looks of her half-closed eyes, it was a fight she was losing. As she cantered over Rainbow curled her legs in closer to her body, allowing Twilight a place to sit on the couch.

“You look tired.” Twilight half mocked, smiling as Rainbow grumbled sleepily at her.

“Where would you get that idea?” She mumbled sarcastically, shooting a playful glare to her wife.

“Hmm… I just don’t know.” She crossed her forelegs over Rainbow’s flank and rested her chin on them. Rainbow smiled down at the mare laying on her before speaking.

“How are you not tired?”

“You forget I’m normally up much later then this studying.” Twilight wormed a little further up the pegasus’s body, resting her head on the side of her stomach with her hooves draped over Rainbow’s chest.

“I suppose. Still, even you have to admit it’s been a tiring day.” Rainbow chuckled, reaching a hoof down to gently run over Twilight’s mane, smoothing it in the process. Twilight squeezed Rainbow’s chest and rubbed her cheek into her soft belly fur.

“It has.” She sighed, breathing in deeply, savouring the scent of her spouse. They lay together in silence for what felt like hours before Twilight moved again. Slowly, she crawled her way the rest of the way up Rainbow’s side, stopping when her head rested against Rainbow’s neck. Rainbow responded by unfurling a wing and wrapping it around Twilight in a makeshift blanket.

“I think today went perfectly.” Rainbow murmured, clearly fighting off the sleep her body and mind yearned for. Twilight responded by nuzzling her snout into Rainbow’s neck, sighing in contentment.

“I don’t think it could have gone any better.” Twilight affirmed, smiling into Rainbow’s fur. Once again silence fell over the room as the newly wed couple continued to embrace each other under the protective embrace of Rainbow’s feathered wing.

Eventually, she felt Twilight wiggle under her wing. Looking down, she saw the unicorn trying to drag herself higher, but missing the traction to do so against the fabric of the couch. Smiling, Rainbow closed her wing and pulled the unicorn up the rest of the way. As soon as their faces were level Rainbow pushed forward with her muzzle and connected their lips in a kiss.

Slowly, their kiss deepened, Twilight wrapping her hooves around Rainbow neck and the pegasus doing the same. Together they pushed deeper into the kiss, allowing their tongues to come together and entwine themselves in a slow, graceful dance. They held their passionate kiss for as long as their lungs would allow, eventually the need to breathe forced them apart. Together they separated, gazing lovingly into each others eyes as they panted lightly.

Once again Twilight leaned in to kiss her partner again, and once again she found herself pressing into Rainbow’s mouth, and the pegasus pressing back. Suddenly, Rainbow drew back with a sly smile on her lips. Twilight looked questioningly at the pegasus for a moment before she felt Rainbow roll off the couch. Twilight squeezed her eyes shut as she waited for her back to hit the ground, but the impact never came. Instead, when she opened her eyes, she found herself looking into two magenta orbs as Rainbow’s wings slowly lowered the two to the floor, with the pegasus on top this time.

Rainbow took advantage of her new position by pinning Twilight to the floor with her hooves and pressing their muzzles together. Eventually Rainbow pulled back enough for Twilight to roll the both over, forcing the pegasus to the floor.

“You don’t seem tired anymore.” Twilight whispered throatily into Rainbow’s ear before nipping the tip between her teeth. A shudder ran down Rainbow’s spine at the sensation.

“You have that effect on me.” Twilight giggled around the ear she still held between her teeth, making another shiver run down the cyan mare’s back. After a few more light nibbles Twilight released the ear and brought her head back down to be level with Rainbow’s. The pegasus reached a hoof to brush a stray strand of hair out of Twilight’s face. For another eternity they stared back into each other’s eyes, locking their eyes together for as long as they could.

Suddenly, Rainbow flexed her wings and pressed her hooves against Twilight’s shoulders, rolling back over on top. As she leaned back down to rejoin their lips in a kiss Twilight flared her magic, and Rainbow found herself falling up to the ceiling. The sudden reversal of gravity disoriented Rainbow long enough for Twilight to claim her prize as she pressed down onto Rainbow’s mouth.

When Twilight next drew back she was met with a playful scowl. “No fair.” Rainbow whined half heartedly, earning as giggle and a quick peck from the lavender mare above her.

“I thought you liked it when I used my magic?” Twilight asked, slipping a seductive tone into her voice that caused Rainbow to blush.

“Not when you… what did you do, exactly?” Rainbow looked around to confirm that she was, in fact, on the ceiling of the library as if it were the floor.

“Simple gravity reversal spell.” Twilight replied nonchalantly, shrugging her shoulders.

“That’s awesome! What else can you do with it?” Rainbow asked enthusiastically, completely forgetting her minor annoyance with the unicorn’s trick.

“I’ll show you some other time, weren’t we in the middle of something?”

“Uh… right.” Rainbow grinned sheepishly, blushing a little. Twilight giggled and returned the gravity to normal, forcing Rainbow to start flapping her wings to keep them from slamming down on the floor. Rainbow angled her wings to carry them low enough to fit through the arch of the stair well, carrying them both up to the room they shared.

Author's Note:

As promised; Scootadoption Twidash fic, I hope you all approve. Updates will hopefully be coming on a weekly basis, but it may be longer or shorter depending on the chapter and the length.

If you want a better description of what they looked like at the beginning, I styled their hair around what they had at the Gala, so just google pictures of that if I did a poor job describing it.

And last but not least, post any comments in the box that says comments. Also, don't forget to pester me with any errors you may find, my editor was busy, so I had to edit myself, and I both hate editing, and I suck at it, so I'm bound to have missed something.