• Published 17th May 2013
  • 6,843 Views, 324 Comments

Uniformity - adcoon



Lyra is not everything she claims to be. When she tries to leave town in secret, Bonbon follows to find out the truth, even if it takes them to the end of the world.

  • ...
24
 324
 6,843

IV. High and Low

A long, rumbling snore echoed through the old and desolate ruins of the mining village. The sound tapered off into a contented whinny before repeating itself. Bonbon found the sound immensely annoying to listen to. Not because it kept her awake, since other concerns were already doing that. Frankly she wasn’t sure why it annoyed her so. Maybe it was how it made it abundantly clear that Rainbow Dash was sleeping without a single care in the world in the other tent, even while Lyra could be anywhere, even in danger.

The first light of the morning sun was still about an hour away by Bonbon’s reckoning. She had duly put up her tent and gone inside when Rainbow Dash declared that they would wait until morning to look for Lyra. She had been lying in the darkness, waiting until she felt sure that the pegasus in the other tent was sleeping soundly. It was not hard to tell, but Bonbon waited a little longer just to make sure it wasn’t a trick.

“I don’t envy your nights with her, Twilight Sparkle,” she thought as she opened her tent and looked out into the dark. Her eyes quickly found the collapsed mine entrance and the obscured trail leaving off into the mountains. Waiting in her tent had given Bonbon time to think back, and she thought she had formed a pretty good idea of what had happened.

At some point, as they were fleeing for their lives down in the mines and shortly before they made it out, Lyra had decided to fall behind despite that thing being right on their tails. When they went back inside for her, Lyra had tricked them and led them down a side passage. While they were trying to find their way in the wrong tunnel, Lyra had hurried past them and fled into the mountains, hastily obscuring her trail behind her.

Lyra hadn’t actually done a very good job of it, because there was still a clearly visible trail of quickly smudged-out snow. Bonbon wasn’t sure what had caused the snow- and rock slide to block the entrance, but she guessed that the monster had caused it to keep them out of the mine. It was too perfectly timed to be a coincidence, at any rate.

Whatever it was, Rainbow Dash had looked at the trail and calmly decided that clearly it was perfectly normal, and that Lyra would show up in the morning.

Bonbon could string the events together in quite some detail. What she couldn’t even begin to understand was the why of it. Had something possessed them both? Had the nightmare creature down there in the mines done something to their minds?

Bonbon crawled out of the tent and listened to make sure that Rainbow Dash was still sleeping. Upon hearing the low rumble from the other tent, Bonbon turned with determination towards the trail. The world seemed quiet and at rest as she set out along the path. It wound its way through the ruins, at first in an almost straight line, but soon seeking every shelter and cover available. Here and there, Lyra had stopped to hide behind a crumbling wall or walked across what stones she could find to throw off anyone who might try to follow the trail.

At some points she almost succeeded in losing Bonbon, but some searching around eventually led her back on the trail. It continued down into a valley through a narrow ravine. On the other side, as the mountains opened up before Bonbon, more effort appeared to have been spent on erasing the tracks. Lyra had probably assumed that she had better time at this point.

The roaring of water from a waterfall rumbled in the distance, falling into a wide but shallow river. Bonbon frowned as she paused and looked around. The snow here was not as thick, and there were large stretches of almost bare rocks. The track was quickly lost among the large stones and boulders strewn across the landscape. Lyra could have gone anywhere.

Bonbon sat down and considered the landscape. The wide stream of water flowed through the valley from the waterfall, seeking lower land. The cover of snow was the least along the river due to the running and splashing of water. If one wanted to leave no tracks, that was the best place to walk. Bonbon stood up and followed the river with her eyes. After a second to decide, she set off along the flow of water, keeping her eye on the surroundings for any signs of more tracks.

It did not take long before the stream poured into a narrow lake. Bonbon stopped and looked across the still surface of crystal clear water, following the shoreline around to the end and back again. On the way back her eyes fell upon something in the water near some crags; a reflection of familiar mint and cyan glimmered in the water behind the rocks.

Bonbon walked carefully across the water of the stream. The water was freezing cold and made her wince, but there was no other way across. Once on the other side, she shook off the water as best she could and quietly moved closer. She was sure that she could see Lyra reflected in the water now. Bonbon paused as her ears caught a quiet sniff, and in the watery mirror, Lyra lifted a hoof to her eyes. Was she crying?

The rocks came closer, and Bonbon lost sight of Lyra and the water as she carefully navigated around them. She could clearly hear Lyra crying softly now. “Lyra?” she said quietly, her voice tinged by concern as she stepped around a rock and into the open.

What met her was not Lyra, or even equine. The creature let out a shriek and spun around in fright to face her, standing among Lyra’s scattered bags and clothes. Bonbon had never seen a thing like this before. It rose up on its hind legs, tall and gangly with claws, ready to attack or run away. Its face and limbs were hairless and pale under the hoodie and other assorted clothes it had stolen.

Bonbon screamed. The creature moved with surprising swiftness. There was a brilliant golden light, a cracking of stone, and something hard hit her in the back of the head. Bonbon sank down with a groan and collapsed on the cold rocks as the world went dark.

* * *

The early sunlight reflected in the water and hurt her eyes as she blinked awake to a pounding ache in her head. Bonbon groaned and lifted a hoof to her eyes to shield them from the searing light of day. Something very cold dabbed against the back of her head, causing another stab of pain before easing it a little.

Bonbon winced and lifted her head a little to look up. Large dots danced across her vision from the light but soon began to fade. The shape of Lyra came into focus, sitting next to her. The unicorn looked joyless as she picked up a piece of bandage from the emergency kit next to her and cut a decent length of it.

“Lyra? In Celestia’s name—” Bonbon complained and tried to move.

Lyra said nothing as she gave Bonbon a stern push to stay still. Bonbon grudgingly obliged, allowing Lyra to wrap the bandage tightly around her head. Bonbon sighed and waited until Lyra was done before speaking again. “Thanks, I guess.” She reached a hoof out to touch the bandage and winced a little at the touch. “I don’t suppose you’ll tell me what in Equestria just happened? You just … ran off, and now this?” Her brow furrowed. Her memory was a bit hazy on what exactly ‘this’ was, except that it had given her a headache.

Lyra stood up and packed the emergency kit back into her bag. She lifted the bags with her magic and strapped them across her shoulders without any apparent hurry. Without a word, Lyra turned around and began to walk back in the direction of the camp.

“Lyra?” Bonbon stumbled back on her legs and turned to watch the other mare trot off like Bonbon barely even existed. Lyra had never acted like this in the years that Bonbon had known her. There was a reason why everypony back in Ponyville loved Lyra and never found any fault with her, and it was because Lyra was always eager to please everypony.

“Just tell me what happened!” Bonbon cried as she stumbled after Lyra. “Lyra?

Lyra showed no sign of wishing to speak. She walked with a noticeable drag of her hooves, no doubt due to the same lack of sleep that Bonbon had suffered lately, and the look on her face was one of sadness more than it was anger. Bonbon took this as a tiny glimmer of fortune; somehow her mind could better deal with a sad Lyra than an angry Lyra.

Bonbon caught up with Lyra and followed behind her as they trudged across the stones and snow towards the ruins of the village. Bonbon was lost and confused more than anything, but she was also angry. She wanted to grab Lyra and shake her, but she wisely restrained herself.

The memory of the strange creature surfaced as her mind slowly recovered from the blow. She had surprised the thing while it was stealing through Lyra’s things, and then … something had hit her in the back of the head. She could have sworn she had seen Lyra in the water a moment before she came upon the creature. Had Lyra knocked her out? Bonbon frowned as she watched the one she had always considered a friend.

“Lyra, did you hit me over the head with that rock?” Bonbon asked and received no answer. Lyra looked down a little but remained silent. Bonbon pushed on regardless. “What was that … creature? Where did it go? Did you see it too? Did it run away?”

Lyra looked back at her for a second. Her eyes were heavy with the lack of sleep and recent tears. She looked at Bonbon’s hooves more than at Bonbon herself before she turned back and continued walking.

Bonbon watched her walk for a few seconds, then rubbed her face with a hoof and sighed. She trudged along again, following some distance behind Lyra. “What must I do to get you to just speak to me?” she whispered to herself in a tired voice.

Rainbow Dash was still asleep when they returned. Lyra walked up to Rainbow’s tent and poked her head inside for a moment. A groggy pegasus emerged a moment later and looked up at Lyra. “Oh, hey. What’s up?” she said, as if seeing Lyra was entirely expected.

Bonbon sat down against a broken wall for support and watched as the two talked in hushed voices for a moment. Lyra then disappeared into Dash’s tent and closed it behind her. The pegasus turned to look at Bonbon. It was not a kind look.

Rainbow Dash got up and flew up to Bonbon. “What did you do?” she demanded angrily.

“I went looking for her, to make sure she was safe,” Bonbon hit back. “Like friends are supposed to do! Something called, oh I don’t know, maybe loyalty? Or just plain old caring!

Rainbow Dash’s eyes flared at the attack on her pride. “Oh yeah? And it didn’t occur to you that she wanted to be left alone, maybe?” She poked a hoof at Bonbon’s chest along with the words. “When Lyra needs to be alone, then you better leave her alone. Got it? Or did you forget?”

“Forget what?” Bonbon pushed the hoof out of her way and stared at Dash furiously. “I haven’t been told a thing on this whole bloody trip, for your information!”

“Maybe that’s because you’re not wanted here,” Rainbow said coldly, and the words stabbed at Bonbon’s heart. “I suggest you go home! Lyra didn’t ask you to come on this trip, and she doesn’t need you to follow her around all the time.”

“I’m not leaving!” Bonbon stomped her hoof in the ground.

“Then you gotta follow the one rule on this trip. Lyra needs time to herself, and we give her whatever room she needs. We don’t bother her or ask any questions about it. Get it, or beat it!”

Bonbon fumed as she watched Rainbow Dash turn around and fly off.

“We leave in two hours,” the pegasus called back over her shoulder as she settled down outside her tent. “And Lyra’s asleep, so you better be quiet.”

* * *

Quiet voices woke her from her sleep. Bonbon opened her heavy eyes and stared at the inside of her tent. She felt anything but rested. She had been reluctant to go to sleep, but eventually dared to hope that her two traveling companions wouldn’t just leave her stranded in the wild. Lyra would have done so already if that was the case.

She turned an ear to the conversation outside the tent.

“I’m just saying, if you want her to leave, it’s gotta be now before we get even further into the mountains.” This was Rainbow Dash speaking.

“I can’t tell her to go.” Lyra sounded like she had been crying again.

“Sure you can! Just tell her straight that she’s not wanted on this journey, that you don’t need her and don’t want her either.”

“I can’t hurt her like that,” Lyra said feebly.

Rainbow Dash groaned. “Lyra, I’m telling you this as a friend; you’re too damned nice all the time. You gotta be tough sometimes. I get that you don’t want to hurt a friend, but if you had told her no from the start, everypony would have had a lot less hurt. See what I mean?”

“I’m sorry, I … I just can’t do that to her.”

“Then let me do it for you. Say the word, and I’ll tell her to leave you alone. I’ll get Twilight to send somepony to help her get back safely.”

There was a long silence before Lyra said, “I just need some time.”

Bonbon listened as hooves, which she guessed belonged to Lyra, trotted off slowly. Bonbon lay in her tent, staring at her hooves in the faint light. She had clearly upset Lyra greatly, but Bonbon had been upset and frightened too by Lyra’s disappearance. Was she just supposed to ignore that and pretend all was good?

She was pulled out of her thoughts by a rapping on the side of her tent. “Hey, get up! We’re packing up camp,” Rainbow Dash’s voice came from the other side.

Bonbon sighed and got up slowly.

* * *

The journey forward progressed only slowly. All of them were exhausted, and the terrain was difficult. Lyra still refused to speak with Bonbon and only spoke little to Rainbow Dash in order to point the way as she studied the map.

Bonbon’s head hurt from the blow, but her earlier anger had given way to depression. Lyra too seemed sad, and Bonbon only wished that she knew why or what to do to make it better.

According to the map, they were at least getting close. Bonbon had no idea what to expect. Something had crashed in the mountains, and the Wonderbolts had already been there before, so what was there for Lyra to find? Bonbon wasn’t sure even Lyra knew.

She and Lyra skidded down the icy edges of a long ridge as Rainbow Dash drifted ahead, ready to catch them if they slipped. Large sheets of snow came loose beneath their hooves and carried them several yards down the slope. Bonbon shook herself of snow and looked around. The other two were already moving on. Bonbon looked back up the slope of ice and snow they had braved before following.

The group rounded a mound of rocks and came to a halt before an open plain of snow and ice, a great plateau of unspoiled white and blue. Rainbow Dash pointed at a mountain ridge poking out of the snow across the plain, perhaps twenty minutes away from where they stood. “I recognize this place. The crater is on the other side of that summit.”

The first thought that struck Bonbon as she gazed across the plain towards the rocks jutting out of the snow was how eerie the landscape seemed here. The wind sighed as it drifted across the plains, dragging billowing sheets of white with it along the ground. Everything was barren and harsh. Even the white seemed an unfriendly color here.

Rainbow Dash set off across the plateau, followed by Lyra dragging her hooves through the thick layer of snow. Bonbon took up the rear again with a heavy sigh.

“Are these mountains always so deserted?” Bonbon asked to break the silence. They hadn’t seen many living things so far—Bonbon had assumed it was because most things slept or went south in the winter—but this place was even more lifeless. The lack of any life made her nervous, as if it was a warning or a hint to stay away.

Rainbow Dash shrugged. “Don’t know,” she admitted, but didn’t look too worried. “Didn’t see a lot the last time we were here, either.”

Lyra said nothing.

The land sloped upwards, and the snow gave way to rough stone and sharp rocks. Seeing the ease with which Rainbow Dash soared towards the summit, Bonbon felt just a tiny bit jealous of the pegasus. It would certainly have made this whole trip a whole lot easier if they all had wings. Or a hot air balloon.

“Why didn’t you rent a hot air balloon for this journey?” she asked in a tone of mild complaining. She didn’t expect much of an answer. “It would have been a lot easier.”

“Yeah, but Lyra needed privacy,” Rainbow Dash explained. “No privacy in a balloon, so we decided to hoof it instead. Doesn’t bother me.

Bonbon rolled her eyes at that obvious statement. She watched Rainbow Dash move ahead and reach the peak. The pegasus held a hoof up to shield her eyes from the sun as she scouted the land beyond, then quickly descended behind a rock and gestured back at them to be quiet.

Lyra reached the summit first, followed by Bonbon. The sun was sharp up here in the open, reflecting off the ice and snow in all directions. Bonbon lifted a hoof and narrowed her eyes. The light did little for her headache, not to mention her vision. As her eyes adjusted, Bonbon spied a large tent among the ice and snow. The figures of three griffons were visible outside; two were sitting by the entrance, while a third was standing a bit away, gazing towards a distant mountain.

The two by the tent were engaged in some kind of board game. One of them was large and slender with bright red feathers and a dark brown coat, the other was big and heavy with a sandy golden coat and white feathers. They were both wearing light armor.

The third was smaller than them both and had ashen feathers and a black coat. He walked calmly across the plain with an almost regal bearing. His armor seemed more elegant and richly designed than the other two, without being gaudy.

Bonbon turned her head a little to take in the wide crater not far from the tent. There was little to see aside from blasted stone and shattered ice scattered far and wide. She turned to her two companions and whispered. “Are they dangerous?” Bonbon had little experience with griffons, but they had always seemed a bit threatening or unfriendly to her.

“No idea,” Rainbow Dash half mimed back as she scanned the area, possibly looking for other griffons hiding among the snow and ice. Bonbon couldn’t see any, and Rainbow Dash didn’t seem to spot any either.

Lyra moved forwards a little and narrowed her eyes. After a moment she stood up and began climbing down towards the camp and the three griffons. Rainbow Dash shrugged and got up to follow. Bonbon was a little slower, but eventually began the journey down the rocky slope behind her friends.

The red-headed griffon perked up and turned to look as the three ponies descended the rocks towards the camp. She gave her companion a nudge, and he too looked up from the game. Bonbon was relieved to find that they remained sitting, watching with a relaxed attitude. The third griffon turned and walked a bit before looking up for a moment. Seeing the three, he sauntered back towards the camp. None of them looked remotely like they expected or planned for trouble.

The third griffon walked slowly to meet Lyra and Rainbow Dash. “Good day,” the griffon said. Bonbon was surprised by the voice; she had at first assumed the griffon to be male. “My name is Abigail, and these two are my partners Ethel the Red and Maurice of Mice.” She gestured at the red and golden griffons in turn. They each nodded in greeting at their mention.

“Tell me, what brings us together on this day?” Abigail continued. She spoke in a collected and formal, yet not unfriendly manner. Now that Bonbon was closer, she could see that her coat had subtle gray stripes, and her eyes were a dark and piercing red with heavy dark circles underneath. She did look a bit masculine.

Lyra held out a hoof in greeting. “Abigail da Pena?” Lyra glanced up at a large gray feather dangling in the wind from the end of the small spear on top of the tent.

Abigail grasped the hoof and gave it a single light shake. “You have an eye for detail. Most who know me are not friends, but they also are not ponies. Would you say that makes you a friend?”

“I would. My name is Lyra Heartstrings,” Lyra said with more enthusiasm than she had shown all day. “I have read many of your works on the creatures and legends of the east, Miss Pena. May I just say that it is some of the most lucid writing I have had the pleasure of reading?”

The griffon gave a mirthful chuckle and turned a little towards her two companions. “Please, call me Abigail. Miss Pena is for my enemies, of which I have more than enough as it is. The writing is the work of my good griffon, Maurice, over there. I merely provide him with the material and hastily scrawled notes.”

The large sandy griffon by the tent tipped an imaginary hat at them.

“I have precious little time for the art of writing myself,” Abigail added.

“It’s true,” Maurice said with a glint in his eyes. “Abbie’s abbreviated scrawl is anything but lucid. I don’t think she’s written a single whole word in her life.”

“Recognizing the talents of others and letting them do what they do best is a valuable skill in and of itself,” Abigail defended herself.

“She means it’s a valuable way to save herself from honest work,” Ethel said with a wink.

Abigail chose to ignore the last remark. “Regardless, I understand my own scrawl, and so does my scribe. I cannot see how that is not a beneficial arrangement.”

Lyra was quiet for a few seconds. Bonbon had to admit that the large griffon did not look the writing type at a first glance. “Oh,” Lyra said and blinked. “Yes, very efficient.”

“So,” Abigail said and turned back to Lyra and the other two. “I did not expect more ponies to come this way. I find myself curious as to your purpose in this place.”

More ponies?” Rainbow Dash perked up suddenly. “You’ve met other ponies here?”

“Not as such.” The griffon gestured towards the crater. “But there is this crater, you may have noticed. My two friends and I have been out hunting for some time, until we came upon this place. The crater in itself would be interesting, more so had it not been empty, but what drew us in particular was the unusual atmosphere around it. Alas, the snow tells us that ponies have already been here and no doubt taken anything worth taking.”

“Ah,” Rainbow said and scratched the back of her neck.

Abigail looked at the pegasus with eyes that seemed to see more than was being let on. “Since the creature we were hunting has now run off and no doubt lost itself in the mountains, we were just going to spend the night here and return home at the break of dawn. We would welcome your company if you intend to do the same,” she kept her eyes on Lyra and Rainbow Dash, something in her words suggesting that more than their company was her hope.

“We would be happy to stay,” Lyra piped up eagerly. “I have much that I would love to discuss with you.”

Rainbow Dash looked off into the distance absently. “Yeah, I think that’s a good idea. I’ve … got a few things to ask you as well.”

“Most excellent,” Abigail said and turned towards the tent. “Allow me to invite you to join us for lunch, then. I do believe it is about time for that.”

* * *

Bonbon had never dined with griffons before, and she suspected the griffons who lived in Equestria were somehow different in their customs from the ones who made their living outside Equestria. Most of the food they were offered appeared to be fish or other dried meat, which the three ponies politely declined. This did not leave them wanting, however. Dried fruit, cheese, spiced bread and wine proved both delicious and plentiful. It was an almost royal fare for a meeting in the wild of the frozen north.

They didn’t speak much. Lyra still avoided Bonbon’s gaze and kept silent. Both she and Rainbow Dash seemed to be saving what they wished to say for later. Ethel and Maurice were the most talkative, but primarily spoke with each other in a language that Bonbon could not understand. Abigail watched them all with quiet interest as she nibbled at the fare.

Abigail rose first and was joined by Lyra and Rainbow Dash as they went to explore the crater and talk in private. Bonbon got the feeling from their silence during the meal that she should stay behind and leave them to discuss private matters with the griffon. She wondered what those private matters were, but after this morning she thought it best to not rock the boat any further.

Bonbon poured herself another glass of wine as she watched her two friends walk around the crater, talking secrets with their griffon hostess. She took a sip of the glass and noticed the two remaining griffons looking at her.

Ethel picked up a deck of cards and carefully sorted out about a dozen of them, which she put back in the small leather bag, leaving her with a reduced deck. “Care to join us in a game or two? Abbie can talk for hours once she gets going, so your friends may be occupied for a while.”

“I don’t really know a lot of games,” Bonbon admitted.

“Don’t worry, it’s not a difficult one.” Ethel shuffled the cards a few times and set them down in front of Maurice, who picked them up and dealt three cards to each of them. Meanwhile, Ethel explained. “Ace, seven, king, jack and queen are assigned points in that order, with ace being highest. The number cards below seven have no point value and are ranked by their number in descending order.”

Bonbon picked up her three cards as Maurice turned the bottom card of the deck face up and placed the rest of the deck beside it. The upturned card was the jack of hearts.

“The upturned card is the trump suit, so in this case hearts are the trump,” Ethel continued as the two griffons picked up their cards. “Since we dealt, you get to start. You begin by playing one of your cards, which will be the lead suit of the set. Then Maurice and I play a card each. If a trump suit has been played, the highest of these wins the set. If a trump suit has not been played, the highest of the lead suit wins the set instead.”

Bonbon nodded and picked out a king of diamonds in her teeth, placing it on the table while making sure not to show her remaining cards. Ethel followed with a four of diamonds, and Maurice closed the set with a six of spades.

“No hearts were played, and yours is the highest of the lead trump. You win the set,” Ethel declared. “That means you put these three cards aside. At the end, we count up each player’s pile for points, highest wins the game. Pick a card from the deck. Your turn again.”

Bonbon picked up a new card, and the two griffons followed suit. The game continued at a casual pace, though Bonbon wasn’t doing so well. The cards she won for her pile did not seem all that valuable and would probably not count for much in the end. It did not surprise her, but she was at least getting the rules quickly enough, and even if she didn’t win it was still a nice distraction from the day’s events.

Bonbon sipped her wine and gazed towards the crater and her two friends as the two griffons were making their next move in the game. Lyra was leaving to make her way down into the crater. Abigail and Rainbow Dash remained behind, watching her briefly before turning to each other.

Rainbow Dash gestured towards the distance and spoke something, a question. Bonbon tried to follow the silent discussion but couldn’t do much except guess wildly. Abigail shook her head in apology and continued slowly around the crater with Rainbow Dash beside her. Bonbon wondered once again what they were discussing.

“Your turn,” Maurice said and filled his glass again.

Bonbon put down a seven of hearts, hoping to win by trump. “How come Lyra knew Abigail?” she asked. “I mean, what does Abigail do?”

Maurice put down an ace of hearts with a smug grin. “Abbie? Abbie is a filthy rich snob who can afford to do whatever she likes and have others do the boring stuff for her. Born that way, rich family and all. So she hunts a few beasts for fun and games and collects any old garbage she can find or have someone dig out of the ground for her.”

Ethel bit off a curse and sacrificed a jack of spades on the pile. “When she’s not playing at politics. She’s got more influence among the high and mighty griffons than any of them are comfortable with. They all despise her because of it, but what can you do?”

“Especially when they’re all scared featherless of her,” Maurice added.

Bonbon watched the cards disappear into Maurice’s growing pile. “Bloody hay,” she muttered at her bad luck. “Why are they scared of her?”

Ethel scratched the underside of her beak. “They can’t do anything about her, that’s why. It makes them nervous. So they try to work around her. Abbie doesn’t involve herself in things very often, but when she does no one likes it because she tends to get what she wants.”

“Yeah, no one ever likes it when others get what they want,” Maurice chuckled.

Bonbon was starting to feel the gentle heat of the wine against the cold of their surroundings. “Why do you work for her? Does she scare you too?”

The two griffons looked at each other and grinned. “Because it’s the greatest damn job in the world,” Ethel said and picked up her pile to count it. Bonbon didn’t even think it worthwhile to count her own. “We get to hunt a few beasts and otherwise kick back like this. It’s a sweet life. Constant vacation, fresh air, great food, and getting paid for it too.”

Maurice nodded but cast a glance towards the trio in the distance. “Even if she is doggone crazy.”

“Something about dangerous ladies, eh, big boy?” Ethel teased and jabbed Maurice in the side.

“Oh, puh-lease, she’s way too small for a griffon of proper tastes like me,” the large griffon laughed. “Give me a queen with some gravity, and a real tail with a real tuft at the end, not that long fluffy thing she’s waving about.” He dangled the end of Ethel’s tail in one claw. “Like this. You just need some real muscle along that scrawny flank of yours.”

Ethel gave him a dash with her tail. “I favor having it in my head. And that’s not your tail, and you know it, tom! Ain’t gonna happen.”

“Don’t you call me a tom, lady,” Maurice protested with a look of hurt. “I’m not some scraggly old cat.”

Bonbon snickered at the two griffons and poured herself another glass of wine. She wasn’t going to just sit and wait for her friends to be done with their secrets and lies, not if she could have her own fun. Even if it meant getting herself slightly drunk. “So what’s the story behind your names? I suppose you’re Ethel the Red ’cause you’re actually red, but Maurice of Mice? What’s up with that?”

“Actually, her real name is Ethelred,” Maurice grinned and received a sharp elbow in the wing. “Hah, but she doesn’t like that, and everyone has always been calling her Ethel the Red anyway.”

“At least I’m not Maurice, Heart of Mice.” Ethel winked at Bonbon. “Other griffons have been famous for their courage, the hearts of lions, but Maurice here has the heart of a little mouse in that oversized chest of his.”

“Nothing but slander,” Maurice said and puffed up his feathered chest to twice its size. “I’ll have you know it’s because I hail from the Great Golden City of Mais, famous for its succulent corn and pure, smooth whiskey.”

Ethel slugged back the rest of her wine. “And its mice.”

“Yes, well, those come with the corn.” He considered something for a moment. “Some of them come for the whiskey, too.”

Ethel put down her glass with a smile at Bonbon. “He’s also scared featherless of mice, you see. Show him one and he’ll squeal like a baby bird for its mamma.”

Maurice huffed and crossed his front legs over his inflated chest. “I do not squeal, missy! And you haven’t seen some of the mice back home. They’ve grown strong on corn and vicious on whiskey.”

Ethel burst out laughing, unable to contain it any longer. Bonbon smiled and dipped a piece of bread in her wine as the conversation continued.

* * *

It was taking Bonbon a lot longer than normal to set up her tent. It didn’t help that she stumbled and fell on top of it more than once. “Bloody world should stay shtill,” she mumbled and rubbed the side of her head before getting back at it.

The griffons had retreated to their own tent, except for Maurice who sat outside, enjoying the sky as he worked on a piece of skin. Bonbon didn’t like thinking about where the skin had come from, even if she supposed hunting was what many griffons did, and hunting meant … well, it wasn’t exactly like tying up a calf at a rodeo and letting it go again afterwards. Nor was it like shaving a sheep or a goat for its fur.

Rainbow Dash was resting in the entrance of her tent, writing in her book, while Lyra had retreated to the privacy of her own tent for the night. Apparently they hadn’t found much here, and Lyra had been mulling all day in silence over what to do in the morning. Bonbon didn’t know what decision, if any, she had reached.

Bonbon also worried what else Lyra was mulling over. She still seemed upset about that morning. Bonbon sighed as she crawled awkwardly into the depths of her tent and toppled over on her back, staring up at the roof of the tent.

What had she done to make Lyra so upset? Had she scared away that strange creature? Was that what had made Lyra sad? And what had knocked Bonbon out, or was it just an accident? A loose piece of rock from above?

Bonbon closed her eyes and rolled over heavily on her side, trying to sleep it off.

* * *

Hey Rainbow Dash.

I’m sorry I haven’t written before. I promised I’d write a lot and keep you up on everything, but I’ve been busy studying real hard. Princess Luna gave me some stuff she says I should read, but it’s, like, a lot! It’s, like, five whole books. I don’t think I’ve read that much in my entire life before. Twilight says it’s nothing, but she’s like a total egghead who probably reads this kinda thing in her sleep. Do you think she reads books in her dreams?

Anyway, the princess is really strict, way more strict than Cheerilee ever was. I don’t know if I can live up to her expectations. What if I can’t? I don’t want to disappoint her, not after all she’s done for me.

Your biggest fan,
Scootaloo

*

Yo Scoots, don’t sweat it about writing me, kid. You just make sure you do what the princess tells you first, and you keep at it no matter how tough it gets! I know you can do it, ’cause no little sis of mine is a quitter, got it? So you can’t be a quitter. That’s rock solid logic, just ask Twi.

I know reading isn’t much for you and me, but this is the Princess of the Night we’re talking about! She doesn’t do this for just anypony or any reason, she’s got plans for you, kid. If you blow that chance you’re gonna regret it for the rest of your life. But you’re not gonna blow it.

Sometimes you gotta take a lot of the bad before you can get the good, but it’ll be so much worth it, trust me. I had to read a lot of really boring stuff too for the Wonderbolts, but I did it with style, and so will you. You’re gonna prove yourself to her ten times over.

Just remember that I’m really, really proud of you, and I’ll keep rooting for you all the way!

— Dash

P.S. Twilight doesn’t have time to dream about reading, not with me in her dreams, heh. Stay cool, Scoots!

*

You’re the best big sis a pony could ever have! I swear I won’t disappoint.

Oh, and she’s invited me to Canterlot this weekend for three whole days. I get to stay at the castle and spend time with the Princess of the Night for real! I can’t wait to go.

Scoots.

*

That’s awesome, Scoots. I’m really happy for you. Just don’t think it’ll be a vacation for you. She’s probably going to expect a lot from you while you’re there. You always gotta be on and ready to show her what you’ve got.

Anyway, I gotta dash. Please give Twilight a hug from me if she’s there.

* * *

Bonbon rolled around again and stared at nothing in the darkness of the tent. The heavy veil of alcohol had receded a little, and outside the night had cloaked the world in black. Bonbon couldn’t sleep. It should be easy enough given how little she had slept the previous night and how much wine she had consumed, but the thoughts churning in her head just wouldn’t give her rest.

She brought a hoof around to feel the wound from the rock that had hit her. She closed her eyes and let out a deep breath before turning around to crawl out of her tent. There was only one way she was going to find rest tonight, and she desperately needed it if she was going to be of any use in the morning.

The camp was quiet except for Rainbow’s subdued snoring from the other tent. Bonbon ignored the sound and trotted a bit unsteadily through the snow to Lyra’s tent. She paused to listen, and a faint breathing from within quickly suggested that Lyra was sleeping.

“Lyra?” Bonbon felt bad about waking Lyra, but she had too much on her heart and mind tonight.

A brief snort was heard, followed by a gasp and a bit of movement inside the tent.

“Don’t worry, I’m staying out here,” Bonbon quickly reassured Lyra, trying to gather her thoughts as she thought about what to say. “I promise you I’ll give you whatever space you need, Lyra. I just wish you had told me something.”

There was a tense silence from the tent. Bonbon sighed. “I’m sorry, Lyra. I’m sorry I followed you to that lake, but I didn’t know what else to do. You made me so frightened and confused when you disappeared like that. I’m sorry if I scared that creature away too. I don’t rightly know what it was, but it sure did scare me, probably as much as I scared it.”

Lyra remained silent. Bonbon sat down in the snow and looked at her hooves. She hoped the unicorn was at least listening. Perhaps she just needed time. “Did you see it? It didn’t look like something belonging in the mountains. I bet it must freeze up here. Did you give it your clothes? Has it been following us all the way here?“

Bonbon shook her head. “Doesn’t matter, I guess. You don’t have to tell me if you don’t want to.”

She sat for a while without saying anything. After a long silence, she looked up again. “I’m sorry. I just wish you would talk to me, Lyra. About anything, really. I wish you would tell me … something, at least.”

The cold was starting to creep under her coat as she sat in the snow outside Lyra’s tent. Bonbon looked down sadly. “I’m sorry. I just had to tell you,” she said and got up, shaking the snow off her tail before turning around to head back to her tent.

She trotted past Rainbow Dash’s tent and looked up. Bonbon yelped and nearly jumped out of her skin as a shadow seemed to come alive and stand out under the shade of a large rock.

“Oh, don’t mind me,” Abigail said quietly.

Bonbon held a hoof to her frantic heart and took a few long breaths. “How long have you been sitting there?” The griffon had not moved. It was as if she simply faded out of the darkness and came into existence in that very moment. Bonbon was half sure that if she blinked, the griffon would be gone again just as suddenly.

“A while now,” the griffon said without elaborating. “I like the quiet of the night to think for myself. By all means, do not let me keep you awake,” she said in a flat voice that suggested she was well aware that just about any pony—and probably any griffon too—would find her presence unnerving and as a result would have trouble finding rest.

Bonbon watched the griffon out of the corner of her eyes as she headed for her tent. She reluctantly stuck her head inside and paused. Slowly she turned around. Even now it took her a moment to spot the griffon in the shadows. “You’re a hunter of some kind? Do you know a lot of creatures then?”

Abigail turned her head to look at Bonbon. The dull red of her eyes only made the image more unnerving. Bonbon was starting to have an inkling of what was so scary about her. “Certainly. I have hunted many creatures and know them all quite well. I cannot claim to know everything under the sun and moon, but I’ve seen my share.”

“Well,” Bonbon began uncertainly as she approached the griffon. “I saw a creature this morning, just before dawn. I didn’t get a very good look, but it was about the size of a pony, only thinner, and it stood on its hind legs. It didn’t have any fur, but I don’t know if maybe it had small scales or something like that. I guess it did remind me vaguely of something snakelike.”

Abigail lifted a claw to her beak in thought. “It’s hard to say without a better description,” she said after a moment. “The only things without fur you’re likely to see in the mountains are dragons and their kin, because they keep themselves warm from the inside. Anything else would die very soon from the cold. What you describe could well be a young dragon, perhaps a baby.”

Bonbon considered the image of Spike, the young dragon assistant of Twilight Sparkle. There was perhaps a slight resemblance in their general form, but she was quite sure that what she had seen was not a dragon. “I know a baby dragon. I don’t think this was a dragon,” she said. “Could it be something from outside the mountains?”

“In the winter? That would be rare,” the griffon said. “And I would still lean towards a dragon. Unless you’re suggesting something out of old fables, or a bipedal pig.”

“I don’t think that’s likely,” Bonbon admitted and stifled a yawn. “Even if it was sort of pink or brownish.”

“I don’t think so either,” the griffon smiled. “Keep in mind that there are many kinds of dragons with wildly different characteristics. Knowing one won’t tell you much about others. I am afraid this is the best I can help you unless you think of anything more.”

Bonbon considered that for a moment before nodding. It did not really satisfy as an explanation, but it was probably the best she could get. “Alright. Well, thank you anyway. Goodnight,” she said and trotted back to her tent.

“Goodnight,” Abigail echoed behind her.

Bonbon stopped at her tent and looked back. The griffon was nowhere to be found. She stood for a minute looking around before crawling inside her tent. She collapsed with a tired sigh and rolled into her blankets.

* * *

The soft sound of the fine silver plate settling on the polished oaken table echoed in the perfect stillness of the grand royal throne room. Bonbon carefully adjusted the plate and the rich white doily under the small stack of fine chocolate. She looked at the rest of the table to make sure everything looked perfect and gave herself a mental nod, making sure her actual posture remained impeccable as befitting a servant in the royal court.

Slow hoof steps drifted down the hall, dampened by the thick white carpet in the middle which only royal hooves were allowed to touch. Bonbon turned around and bowed deep as the foreign princess walked past without sparing her a single glance.

Princess Amber Heart, the young ruler of one of the outlying kingdoms, sauntered up the steps of the throne where the prince lay, resting upon his soft pillows. She snaked herself around him as he looked up with a smile. “Ah, so I wasn’t dreaming,” he said and turned his head to breathe in the perfumed scent dancing around him.

“Not in the slightest, fair prince,” the princess whispered. Her voice carried through the stillness of the court to reach Bonbon, who remained bowed further down the hall.

“Ah, but how may I truly know if this is a dream—” the prince asked and reached out an eager hoof to brush along her flank. The princess pulled away gracefully, denying him the touch with a teasing smile. “—when I can not touch thee, fairest of all mares?”

“Thou hast decided?” she asked, the faintest hint of impatience in her voice. “Fair I may be, but alas, even I can not wait forever for an answer from thee.”

The eyes of the prince showed a lingering doubt, even as they followed the entrancing dance of the mare before him with desire. “But the pegasi of the Silver Gate have always been our allies and friends,” he said, but the certainty of his words were no longer there.

“My warnings are dire but true, my prince,” the princess spoke. “Thou hast seen the evidence. Thou must act first and act fast. If thou dost act now, thou shalt win more than just the Gate,” she said and turned around. She waved her tail gracefully as she walked slowly down the stairs. “Act today, and mine hoof—and more—shall be thine … tonight. Stall thy decision, and I shall find another, to my regret.”

The prince’s eyes lingered on her swaying hips and tail. “I shall summon my armies within the hour,” he said, eyes never leaving her. “We ride out in the morning.”

The princess didn’t look back, and only Bonbon saw the dark smile she gave herself. “A wise choice, my prince. I shall see thee in thy quarters tonight, to discuss our … most sacred union.” She walked past Bonbon. “Servant! Follow.”

Bonbon bowed deeper before getting into line behind the princess, walking just outside the forbidden carpet. They left the throne room and turned down a corridor towards the visiting royalty’s suite. The princess led the way up the wide marble stairs.

Bonbon barely noticed the shadow falling into line behind them as they entered the winding hallway. “Fair princess,” a voice like a rusty dagger spoke behind them.

The princess turned around with a cold look of indifference. “Yes, your Eminence?”

Bonbon swiftly bowed her head to the ground as the Grand Vizier strode past her, his legs stiff with age but his eyes as keen as a sword. “I heard the joyous news,” he said with a steely gaze. “Congratulations are in order.”

“Indeed. I thank thee,” the princess said blankly.

The vizier considered her with barely veiled criticism. “Tell me if thou wilt, fair princess, in thine own words, art thou a humble soul?”

The princess’ brow furrowed and her eyes grew hard as she took a small step back. “I would not presume to call myself such a thing, your Eminence,” she said in a measured voice.

“A humble answer,” the vizier said with the joyless smile of a fox. His steely eyes flashed dangerously as they pinned the princess to the spot, and his horn blazed with the words he spoke. “But I know thee for what thou art, foulest creature! A snake to all, both friend and foe! A traitor of all things good and pure. Henceforth as a snake thou shalt be seen, and all thy line with thee, trusted and welcomed by none! Friendship and kinship hast thou forsaken, so friendship and kinship shall be denied thee, but for the love of a serpent’s heart!”

The princess stood stunned as the vizier vanished in a flash and roll of thunder. “T-thou darest to threaten me? I-I’ll have thee thrown in the deepest dungeon, old fool! The prince listens to me!” she cried out to the empty hallway. Bonbon dared not move or say a word. Finally the princess strode off in a fury, apparently forgetting all about Bonbon in her distress at the words of the vizier.

Bonbon closed her eyes tight.

* * *

She woke late in the morning to the sharp sunlight through the opening of her tent. Bonbon groaned and turned around. Sounds from outside suggested that the griffons were packing up their tent and preparing to move on. Bonbon remembered that they were supposed to leave too and grudgingly got up and rubbed her eyes.

Bonbon crawled out of her tent and blinked at the sunlight. Rainbow Dash was discussing something with Ethel, while Maurice was packing up the tent. There was no sign of Abigail at the moment. Lyra, however, was standing a bit off to the side, gazing sadly into the crater. She looked up when she noticed Bonbon was awake.

Bonbon’s heart took a leap up as Lyra came towards her. She looked sad, but perhaps Bonbon’s talk during the night had at least broken the silence. Bonbon looked at Lyra with equal measures of hope and sadness. “Lyra?”

Lyra looked away for a moment before facing Bonbon. “I’m sorry, Bonbon.”

“I’m sorry too,” Bonbon said and reached out a hoof to lay on Lyra’s shoulder. “I just hope we can talk.”

Lyra sighed. It felt pained. “Bonbon, I want you to go home. I’m … I’m not asking you,” she said and looked away. “I’m telling you to go home.”

Bonbon felt her breath escape her as her heart sank. She dropped her hoof. “Lyra, I—”

“I don’t want to hurt you, Bonbon, and I don’t want you to hate me.” She kept her eyes on her hooves as she spoke. “I just … I don’t know how not to hurt you or not make you hate me. I just don’t know how to … talk to you.” She looked up at Bonbon. She had tears in her eyes. “I need you to leave. I … I can’t have you here. It will only hurt you more and make you hate me more if you stay.”

“Lyra …” Bonbon struggled to regain herself. “I won’t leave you, Lyra. I love you, and … and I don’t care what’s going on or why you think I’d hate you. I would never hate you.” She stomped her hoof and tried not to cry. “I’m coming with you, Lyra. No matter how far, no matter what you say. I told you that!”

Lyra was crying openly. “Bonbon, don’t make me force you. Don’t make me ask them to carry you away. Please, just … just leave and go home. The griffons know a path you can take, and they have agreed to show you out of the mountains.”

Bonbon found no words as she stared at Lyra, only a sinking feeling of hopelessness filling her heart. “Lyra …”

“I’m sorry, Bonbon. Just … it’s better this way. I’m sorry.” She closed her eyes and turned around to leave. As the love of her life slowly walked away from her, Bonbon watched and felt more alone in the world than she ever had before, standing there in the cold snow among nothing but endless ice and rocks.