• Published 17th May 2013
  • 1,314 Views, 20 Comments

Friend of the Nerevarine - DVAN56



Sanjuro, The Nerevarine, retells his tales in Morrowind, and of the best friend he ever had.

  • ...
3
 20
 1,314

Twilight's Letters - Week in Balmora

Dear Princess Celestia,

Vvardenfell Day 10(A week in Balmora)

A lot has happened this past week. But I shall start at the beginning, Book! Oh Celestia the books here are all hoof(hand)written! That alone put me into one of my reading trances but the information inside them. Some of it is scares me but also intrigues me. Unlike Equestria it seems strife is a common occurrence here. Whether it be from each other or a realm they have called Oblivion. I guess the easiest way to say it is that its like the Everfree Forest everywhere all the time. I actually can't help but admire the races of this world for having to face such hardships daily and not be broken down by it.

One of the books I found talked about magical artifacts that can do amazing things. There was one that caught my eye. It's called The Mentors Ring and suppressible it can allow any magic user to surpass their own ability 100 fold. Just the thought is scary I mean in your hooves you could move 100 suns at once! This ring my be helpful for getting home, or just surviving in this world. The only problem is it is one of the few artifacts that have been missing for the last 200 years(this world's years, don't know yet if its the same as an equestrian year). So if a clue on its whereabout come up I am going to convince Sanjuro to help me find it. But until i can find a starting point i’m going to leave the ring alone.

One last thing while I'm on the topic of books. Ajira, the guild alchemist for this hall though it would be clever to shave some of my fur to use as a potion ingredient and shaved me while I was lost in my reading trance. WHO USES FUR TO MAKE A POTION! Not only that but she shaved it off right where my Cutie-Mark is. You can't even imagine how silly this looks. I was angry, I mean really angry. My mane and tail turned to fire again as I yelled at her. Which has me asking a question. Is the “Royal Cantorlot Voice” an Alicorn thing because I swear I was louder than Luna their for a while.

After my little phase with the books, which lasted two day. A city guard came to find me and said that I needed to do something with my “guar” that it has been hanging around the gates for the past few days. The creature that had calmed me when I broke down a week ago had been waiting at the city gates for me. And it didn't take an animal lover like Fluttershy to see the guar was happy to see me as well. After some paperwork the guar was allowed into the city and hasn't really left my side when I leave the guild hall. After think of some ideas for a name I settled for Fox. It just sounded right. Fox and Sanjuro, the two best friend this mare has in this world.

….I miss home.

Then there is Sanjuro. Turns out Cauis wasn't the only Blade in the city. I found this out when looking for Sanjuro after my “new book phase”. It took me awhile before I found him. And when I did I saw him in a training yard practicing like Shining Armor would in his youth. I was about to go over and ask him how his training was going he was doing when another stopped me. Before I knew what was happening I was on a rooftop nearby. An Argonian(a Lizardfolk)was looking down at me.

At first I didn't know what to do. I wanted to scream but the Argonian just put his hand over my mouth and shushed me. He then told me his name, Nine-Toes, and why he stopped me. He want to see just how quick Sanjuro would “improve” without interruption. He also told me I could either stay and watch quietly or go about my business and leave Sanjuro be for the time being. Not wanting to make an enemies I thought it wise to listen to Nine-Toes, as he in a way gave me little to no choice.

So I watched Sanjuro train. I would even blurt out mistake Sanjuro was making. Though he never did hear me. Nine-Toes made sure I was not a “distraction” and he keep me on the roof of the buildings. As for Sanjuro's progression, I don't know how or where to begin. It was like he had been training his whole life. He was improving at such an astounding speed. I literally saw improvement changes take place in hours where with Shining it would take months before such changes happened. I was scared at first, I knew fighting for survival was a way of life for these people but to improve at that rate.

I don't know why but Nine-Toes willingly started telling me what he knew about the Blades interest in Sanjuro. I don't know if he was being nice or just trying to gain my trust but I listened nonetheless. They had been watching him since he first was released from prison up to now. No real changes and before this training section there was no doubt he would have died in the wilds. Why he was improving so quickly was as much a mystery to them as it was to me.

Anyway by the end of the week the Blades wanted to put Sanjuro through a test of sorts. It was a simple(for them anyway) test. A house had been infested with rats and Sanjuro was to get rid of them. What made me happy is Nine-Toes said it was alright for me to be seen and not “watch from the shadows”. So I followed Sanjuro to the house where he would be tested. Apparently he didn't even know he was being tested till we got their.

He went in and it was quiet for a while. Then there was the sound of things falling. It was loud and suppressed me and Nine-Toes as well. Before we could think on whether to go in or not we heard Sanjuro yelling as he flew out of the houses front door. My eyes grew wide at the sight as a rat the size of a medium dog was biting down on Sanjuro's butt. After the initial shock of what had happen I couldn't help but laugh at the site. Rith(the Blade that was training Sanjuro) was laughing as well. Nine-Toes however was already gone chasing after Sanjuro.

After some chasing I came in sight of Sanjuro again. He was crossing a bridge that went over a river. The rat still biting down on his butt. I wanted to help him and a plan formulated in my head. I quickly grabbed Sanjuro with my magic and throw him off the bridge into the waters below in hopes that the rat would finally let go.

Sanjuro hit the water and went under. I ran to the side of the river waiting for Sanjuro to come up. He never did and I started to worry when I saw the rat come up and not Sanjuro. Lucky Nine-Toes was nearby and saw what happened as he dived in and drug Sanjuro out of the river.

I almost killed the one real friend I have here Celestia. It was an accident but I still feel bad about it. I even cried myself to sleep on Sanjuro's chest once we got him back to the guild hall so he could recover.

Almost out of paper and time as me and Sanjuro are getting ready to go to a guild hall in a city north of us, a place called Ald'ruhn. Apparently the Mages Guild wants to see how unicorn magic effect something know as a “Dwemer Artifacts”. I'll write again once we get up their.

Your Friend,

Twilight Sparkle

Author's Note:

Woot, got these done quicker then I though. Have no idea when the next chapter will be out, hopefully less then a month.