• Published 16th May 2013
  • 397 Views, 9 Comments

Cosmic Defiance: The Enemy from the Stars - Mamoru Kisho



After being driven from his hometown at the return of a corrupt and inhuman king, a young man seeks help from the only person he can count on - a studious royal mage.

  • ...
7
 9
 397

Prologue

Prologue: The Rule of Six

Terra.

A world so full of strife, its people knew of only one thing: survival.

Since the beginning of time, the Terrans fought one another in battle after bloody battle. Disputes broke out over land, skirmishes over supplies, even all-out war simply over the utterance of a stray word. Despite the existence of several tribes powerful enough to take the world for themselves, no one dared to do so. That is, no one….except for six tribe leaders with a dream for a better life. Not just for them, but for the people of Terra as a whole.

Radiance, the Sage. In his mind lay potent magics, strong enough to take on a platoon on his own without as much as a scratch. It is said that he is the sun incarnate, using its light to cast down any who oppose him. Even with an element so powerful at his disposal, Radiance is a man of peace. His desire: to see order and law become the norm in his beloved world.

Nocta, the Huntress. With vision is as sharp as a wildcat, she is able to find her bearings in even the darkest of night, as if the night itself was at her command. Her aim with a bow is true; not a single other living person can match her prowess. She longs for Terra finally being at peace, putting an end to all of the senseless bloodshed.

Comet, the Intuitive. A man known for his incredible luck and quick thinking, he can outwit even the most cunning of foes. His skill with a blade is unmatched, dancing around his opponents in a flurry of steel so fast that he seemingly disappears for moments at a time. His dream: to see the world as a proper place to grow up.

Astra, the Studious. Gifted with the power of magic and very active mind, she is always eager to learn more than she already knows. Her command of the arcane arts leaves plenty of room for improvement, but she has never turned down an offer from more advanced mages to expand her already voluminous knowledge. Her goal: to make learning a first and foremost priority in a world that desperately needs it.

Trevet, the Enduring. His large form makes it easy for him to intimidate those who go against him, and he made good use of this fact. Armed with nothing more than an axe, he reduces his foes’ numbers with each swing. The earth itself appears to rumble as he anticipates combat. His plan: to show the people of Terra that anyone can overcome their fear, given the right motivation.

Elpidios, the Enigmatic. Not much is known about this man, other than the fact that he rose to the top of his tribe in such a short amount of time. The shadows appear to quake at his presence, almost as if they’re showing their allegiance to him. His intention: to show the world that it has nothing to hide, even if he himself chooses not to reveal his origins.

This group of misfits banded together, all with the common goal of making their home world a better place. As expected, there were many who rejected their idea of peace. However, those who did were no match for their combined forces. One by one, their opposition either submitted to their will or were wiped from the face of the earth. The latter left such a heavy feeling of dread within each one of them, but they knew it was a price worth paying. Eventually, they had the support of a legion on their side. With such a vast following, the six tribal leaders finally planted their roots in the lands most appealing to them.

Radiance and Nocta chose to settle a vast continent, which they named Equestria. The land was rich with resources, both natural and magical. Comet and Astra decided on the fields of what became known as Uchu, both for its beauty and sensation of flowing energy that was both empowering and soothing to the soul. Trevet settled on the icy cliffs of Clawdor. This mountainous region was perfectly suited for raising only the strongest warriors that humanity would ever lay eyes upon. The biting chill was nothing more than a refreshing breeze for his combative people. Lastly, Elpidios ruled over the Valley of Froud, although for reason unknown to many except his most trusted advisors.

Many years have passed since that day. The people of Terra live their lives free of worry and strife, their new rulers benevolent and kind. However, this was not meant to last...for Elpidios had a son, a man who would one day herald the start of a conflict that will change Terra as they knew it.

Adrastos, the Instigator.

Adrastos grew up as any child typical of royal birth: He longed for nothing, was given the most advanced tutelage in the land, and was taught of his family’s role in the kingdom. However, his curious mind set into motion a much greater threat.

He asked his father as to why he decided to found his kingdom in Froud Valley. Elpidios only answered, “Although our kind has contributed much to the newfound peace that is known around Terra, we do not take that which is not ours. I am content is simply living our lives in normalcy.”

But Adrastos wouldn’t settle for that. Over time, his confusion grew into anger and contempt for the other kingdoms, cursing them for leaving such a comparatively barren land while they enjoy so much more. Equestria’s denizens were advancing in the studies of magic, Uchu and its people were in tune with the spirits, and Clawdor’s military prowess grew more refined and orderly. But Froud? Froud was nothing more than a kingdom of the valley. The boy knew nothing of his ancestors, despite extensive records on many other subjects. In his mental struggle, he formulated a thought. A thought so sinister, philosophers have long questioned what inspired it.

Adrastos would employ the services of an inhabitant of Tartarus.


History tells of a worldwide battle that occurred over ten thousand years ago, one led by the future king of Froud in an attempt to seize control of the other kingdoms. With each passing campaign, he unraveled the peace accomplished by the previous six rulers in an attempt to mentally break them and make them submit to his will. He’d use many schemes to ensure his victories, plots that could only be thought up by something inhuman. Adrastos was no more. He is merely a shell of his former self, inhabited by something far worse.

Shadestone, the Shadow Tyrant.

The cruel conqueror rallied Froud and regaled his plan to overthrow the current regimes and unite all people under one king for all eternity. Some would think that the young prince had gone mad, but no one opposed him. Shadestone had an incredible way with words, charismatic with almost no fault. The people gladly took up arms for his selfish cause, as if brainwashed.

The following years were by far the bloodiest and most violent to ever have been witnessed by any Terran. Using forbidden magical knowledge, Shadestone’s mages would tear through soldiers as if they were nothing but paper. The invention of complex malicious weapons left soldiers with wounds that never healed. But the most unsettling part about all of this was that the Froudan troops seemed to revel in causing so much pain. The young prince of Froud was definitely not a part of this world any longer. The Froudan people had lost their prince to a demon, and they were its loyal puppets.

King Elpidios was exiled from his land, taking his only heirloom: a mystical shield that seemingly absorbed all light around it and giving it a pitch black hue. Gathering his old comrades-in-arms, Elpidios revealed a secret kept by his people for generations. As reluctant as he was to do so, he detailed the method with which to finally end his son’s spiteful campaign.

With this, each of the remaining five leaders forged an item that truly captured the essence of their souls. Radiance carved a staff from an elderwood tree and infused it with his own arcane magic. Nocta took the same kind of wood and fletched a bow, one with amazing precision. Comet forged a sword made of the finest meteoric iron, with craftsmanship so fine that the blade sang as it sliced through the air. Astra created a wand using both of the rare materials and poured her knowledge into it. And lastly, Trevet gave life to one of his trusty axes and filled it with his strength.

With the end of the conflict drawing near, Shadestone sets his sight on the capital city of Canterlot, the last stronghold of the free world. The tyrant himself led the siege, not relenting in his attack and displaying his formidable power. The royal guards gave it their all to delay him for as long as possible, but to no avail. Bursting through the main gates, he simply sauntered up to the castle as he tossed aside soldier after soldier with a mere flick of the wrist. Shadestone concluded that a monarch as proud as Radiance wouldn’t leave his home no matter how close the enemy drew. As he entered the throne room, he found the sun king right where he wanted him. Or so he thought…

A bright flash of white light surrounded the tyrant. Confused yet angered by this act of futile resistance, he lunged for Radiance but was stopped by the light. Drawn in silver dust around him was an arcane circle, trapping him within. One by one, the other monarchs made their presence known, each holding their relic. As Elpidios recited an ancient chant, the others held their items out. Before their very eyes, the objects became masses of light that pierced Shadestone one after the other. Just as the last spear of light lodges itself through him, the tyrant uses his command over shadows to mortally wound Comet. The Uchun emperor is taken by surprise, Shadestone laughing maniacally as the seal begins to shrink around him and trap him within a stone prison.

The boulder suddenly launches into the night sky, taking its charge with it. Comet watches as the man who has broken his idea of peace leaves Terra, hopefully for eternity. As the tyrant moves further away, the hold on the Froudan forces' minds is shattered and they realize what they have done, ceasing all hostilities immediately.

Drawing one last breath, surrounded by his fellow comrades, the emperor succumbs to his wounds.


“So, let me get this straight… Out of the various names of past heroes I could have been named after, you chose the one who died in battle.”

“It does sound like a terrible choice when you put it that way, but the emperor was one of noble intentions. One might argue the noblest.”

“Old man, I think you’re suffering from heat exhaustion. You need to stop spending so much time at the forge.”

Comet Blade sat at the breakfast table with his father, Temper. He was already halfway done with his meal when Temper decided to share the story behind his son’s name. During his tale, he handed Comet an old illustration of the fallen hero.

“I still don’t see the resemblance either”, said the young blacksmith apprentice as he held the drawing. “First of all, his nose is gigantic. If mine was that big, I’d die of embarrassment. Second, his hair is completely straightened.” He ruffles his own with a free hand. “This head here is untamable.”

“Third, he’s taller. Fourth, he’s stronger. Fifth, he’s more respectful of his parents than you’ve ever been”, Temper replied.

“Exactly, I'm nothing like-” The young man stopped before he embarrassed himself.

Temper sighs. “Let it never be said that I haven’t tried to elicit a sense of appreciation for the past.” He gets up from his seat and grabs his tools. “Be sure to finish up soon. We have a long day ahead of us.”

“I’m eating as fast as I can.”

Author's Note:

And it's done! The prologue of the newly rebooted Cosmic Defiance is finally here!

For those of you who have been waiting for this story to start back up again, let me just apologize for taking so long. I'll admit I've lost interest in writing anything for quite a long time, but I was struck with inspiration one night and decided to get back to work on it.

Despite Twilight being on the cover of this fic, she doesn't appear here. Sorry about that (and the lack of Equestrian anything of course). BUT! The next chapter will definitely have a gratuitous amount of paragraphs involving our favorite scholar, so don't feel as if she's a long way from appearing.

Before this drags on for too long, here are some of the major changes done this time around. Those of you who've read the original, you'll see these right away:
-The main character finally has a name consistent with Equestrian names
-Prologue change. No longer a "past experience" of the main character
-Will change MC encounter with T.S. in the upcoming chapter