• Published 14th May 2013
  • 1,377 Views, 9 Comments

The Necromancer's Forces - InTheNavy



A necromancer is accidentally brought to Equestria and another being is summoned to hopefully stop him.

  • ...
5
 9
 1,377

Chapter 7

The calm summer air wafted in through the window as Fluttershy awoke, although she felt as though she should not stir. Raising her head to peer around for whatever caused her to wake up, she found nothing. Although she felt as though she had slept through the night, the sun was still not up. She smiled as she thought of how she had a few more hours of 'bonus time' to sleep in, without seeming lazy. In her groggy state, she had either forgotten or ignored the past days, and she slowly drifted off again.

“That was cute” muttered Bradley to himself, waking at the slight sound of Fluttershy's movments. He usually awoke at the tone of his watch at five in the morning and nothing else could wake him, he was used to sleeping in buildings that were full of roudy men who fought and played while he slept. The silence of the cottage had lulled him out of his usual state of sleep, a small noise was able to wake him in this state. He decided that his strength was more important than tardiness, he would sleep in, he removed his watch and clicked off the timer. He had found it strange that the sun never seemed to move here, it just went up and descended in an instant on the same rough time every day.

He peered at his watch, the electronic display read four minutes past two. He recalled of his time in training; by now his bed would have been made and he would already be working on ironing his pants. It was always the same fashion, a drill sargeant would arise at half past four, and at the exact moment of five he would play loud music, or otherwise get the attention of the recruits. In an instant the calm barracks would explode into action; soldiers moving their beds, folding sheets, and getting prepared for the day.

He slowly tried to fall back asleep, hoping to continue his dream from before, some small fragments of which were still embedded in his mind. The floor creaked as he adjusted himself, trying to return to sleep. He was uncompfortable on the wooden floor, as the boards were roughly cut, and the splinters dug into his back and sides. He had tossed and turned all night, hoping that he would eventually find a comfortable position.

He sat up-right, scanning the room for a more comfortable place to finish his slumber. Back in rotation he had never needed a matress, there was almost always a place to sleep, from a grass patch to a pre-made bed. Slumping down in defeat, he decided that there was nowhere to sleep other than the floor, other than the bed.

His eyes snapped open as he debated in his mind wether or not to return downstairs to sleep on the carpet in front of the fireplace. After a few minutes of dileberation, he decided to move himself downstairs. He lifted himself again and began to gather his blanket when Fluttershy's voice cut through the night.

“Are you leaving?” her tone cut him deep. It was as though she was actually afraid of his absence.

“Uh... Yeah... I can't sleep on the floor. It's too rough.”

“Oh...”

He half dragged half carried his blanked to the door to downstairs. He was reaching for the handle when another option was presented to him.

“There is a lot of space here?” he paused for a second. It had been several months since he had slept on a real bed, one that wasn't the size of a showbox or made of steel, and the offer was very tempting. He stood still for a few moments, before turning and trudging towards the bed. It creaked and groaned as he flopped down onto it, as it was made for someone much smaller. Fluttershy attempted to offer him some of the blanket that she bore, but he pushed them back.

He began to doze off immediatley, the comfort of the bed taking him by surprise. She, on the other hand, had a hard time falling asleep, as she tried to stay as far as possible from her 'guard' while remaining on the bed. Eventually, they both fell asleep.

Author's Note:

Sorry for the delay, I'm very busy on Thursdays and Fridays.