• Published 6th May 2013
  • 19,257 Views, 950 Comments

Shepard's R&R - ed2481



It's been several weeks since the Reaper War and Commander Shepard has been chosen to once again represent humanity on the galactic stage. However this time the audience will be slightly shorter...

  • ...
73
 950
 19,257

The War is Won

Shepard’s R&R

Intro

Earth hung overhead, casting a bright glow of blue and green across the battle that was playing out in orbit. As the largest fleet ever assembled in the known history of the galaxy was pushed back by the unrelenting force of the Reapers, all that had lived... all that had died... now hinged on the choice presented to a single man.

A man who held the fate of all he saw... and all beyond... in his pistol ladened hand.

“The choice must be made, Shepard.” the glowing child, a representation of the god-like intelligence that had guided organic life for eons, looked to him, his eyes demanding, but without judgement. “Have you reached your solution?”

“Yes, yes I have.” Commander Shawn Shepard, Alliance Warhero and Vanguard of the Galactic Fleet stated stated. His head was pounding and his body felt as if he’d been hit by enough power to destroy a dreadnaught. The armor he wore was cracked and burned, covered in both his blood and in the blood of all those who he’d killed or failed to save.

“And what have you chosen Shepard?” The Catalyst asked.

“Freedom.” Shepard coughed before he began to limp towards the large, circular, generator-like object.

“I see, but what will you do with this freedom?” The Catalyst asked, its glowing form shimmering. “You save lives this day...at the cost of all life later... Organics cannot be trusted to keep their self-destructive tendencies in check. In time, you and your creations will destroy yourselves."

“We’ll make our own way... and we’ll do it without your help.” Shepard replied “Organic life may not be perfect, but we will endure... regardless of what may come... we will find a way.” he paused for a second to gather his breath before he turned to stare at the Catalyst. “You believe that we’re flawed, and that’s true,. We are flawed, but it’s those very flaws, that make us perfect. Without them we’d never work to get better, we’d never have a problem to fix, never be inspired to do better. We’d stagnate, like the Reapers have throughout all these cycles of extermination.” The man retorted before his limping came to a stop in front of the generator.

“So be it then.” The Catalyst stated simply, it’s form shimmering as it vanished.

Shepard said nothing as he limped closer to the connections, there was nothing left to be said.

Only one thing left to do.

He raised his Carnifex and began to shoot. Each shot ringing in his ears as everything crashed down on him.

*BANG*

Everyone he’d lost.

Ashley... Mordin.... Thane.... Legion.... Anderson...

*BANG*

Everyone he cared for.

Traynor... Joker... Chakwas....James.... Liara.... Kaiden...

*BANG*

His Best Friend...

*BANG*

His Love...

Sparks exploded as the systems reached their breaking point. A surge of energy building that had the power to change everything.

One child... looking up to him in his dreams.

A galaxy that would never have to be afraid of monsters again.

*BANG*

The systems ruptured. Energy lancing all around, lashing at him... out of control.

“Goodbye Garrus.”

It was over...

“Goodbye Tali.”

At last... he could rest.

Then... after a blinding flash of light and pain, everything went black.

It was finally over.