• Published 27th Apr 2013
  • 3,335 Views, 216 Comments

The Private Scrapbook - Cadabra



Ever wonder why Granny Smith gives Filthy Rich those 100 jars of zap apple jam? Or who her husband is? Or why zebras are treated differently in Ponyville? All the answers are in Granny Smith's private scrapbook.

  • ...
8
 216
 3,335

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 51: Homeward Bound

Chapter 51: Homeward Bound

The Apple grandchildren crowded around Granny Smithy, watching as streams of tears poured down her wrinkled old cheeks. She held her precious grandchildren tight as she as she turned to the ticket stubs taped to the scrapbook pages. “She decided to go,” she said in a sad whisper. “I couldn’t stop her even if I wanted to, and I did want to. But it was her decision, her life, not mine. I had fought fer her freedom to make her own choices, and I’d be a hypocrite to keep her from that. I just wish I coulda seen her again, but after that she was gone ferever.”

Big Macintosh’s heart ached for his grandmother’s loss. “Eeyup,” he said as he held his crying grandmother. “Sounds to me like ya made the right choice. Ya think she’d have been happier if she’d stayed?”

Granny Smith shook her head a she blew her nose on what was becoming a very gross handkerchief. “I dunno,” she said with a deep, sad sigh. “Segregation was gettin’ crazier and crazier 'round Equestria, and sad to say it’s still goin’ on today. It sure didn’t help that stories kept poppin’ up in the paper ‘bout zebras whose masters were tryin’ to keep ‘em against their will. Some of them zebras started poisonin’ their old masters to get to freedom, or settin’ up other pains so they could run away. Stories like that got rumors started spreadin’ like wildfire that zebras were practicin’ tribal witchcraft. Common folk were gettin’ scared, which just made the segregation get even worse. Kizzy didn’t want that kinda life, and neither did Lizza or Salty Ron. Ya really couldn’t blame ‘em. They were ready to go home…”

The Ponyville train station platform was filled with zebras waiting to go back to the land that bore their roots. Kizzy could barely stay still as she held onto her ticket, jabbering a mile a minute about how much she wanted to see where her father came from. “I can barely wait!” she exclaimed as she jumped up to a window to see if the train had arrived. “I hope it is as beautiful as you say it is, Lizza. I want to see it all! I hope there are bees in Zebrica!”

Lizza rested a hoof upon Kizzy’s shoulder to keep her from bouncing. “Be still, child,” she said with a soft smile. “You are stepping on the hooves of others. You do not want to cause a fuss.”

Smithy watched her daughter standing by the window, already feeling like there were miles between them. She dabbed at her eyes with a handkerchief to keep up the appearance that she wasn't bothered by letting her daughter go. She whispered a curse to herself for how much she was failing to keep up the act.

Crab Apple held Smithy’s hoof as soon as he noticed a tear rolling down her face. “Hey, it’s okay,” he whispered. “She’s gonna be fine. She’s goin’ back where she belongs, and she ain’t gonna be alone. She’ll have Lizza and Salty Ron there ta take care a her, remember?”

With all the commotion, Smithy had almost forgotten that Crab Apple was losing his best friend in the process. Salty Ron had fallen in love with Lizza, and it wouldn’t be long before they were going to have a baby of their own. “I guess Kizzy’s gonna have a lil’ brother or sister then since them two are gonna be like a mama and daddy to her,” she replied sadly.

Crab Apple lent her his handkerchief to wipe away her motherly tears, especially since Smithy’s handkerchief was sopping wet by now. “Come on, brighten up,” he said. “We don’t wanna ruin Kizzy’s adventure. It’s what she wants, remember?”

Smithy knew he was right. She smiled back at him, glad to know that he was there for support. “Thanks fer bein’ here,” she said. “I’d be a wreck if I had to do this all by mahself.”

Crab Apple took a deep breath to calm his emotions. “Ditto,” he said as he swatted at a tear that rolled around his eyelid.

The train station came alive with excitement as the train finally rolled up to the station. Kizzy rushed up to her mother and grabbed her by the hoof. “Mother! It is here!” she exclaimed, hugging her mother closely. “I am so excited, but I will miss you so much. Will you be alright?”

Smithy had to force a smile to help her daughter. “I’ll manage,” she replied. “I’m gonna miss ya everyday, but so long as I know yer happy, I’ll find a reason to keep on smilin’.”

For the first time that morning, Kizzy’s smile began to fade as she realized that this was it. She began to tear up as she hugged her mother for the last time. “I love you, mother,” she said as she buried her tearful eyes into her mother’s shoulder. “You have been so kind. I can never thank you.”

Smithy ran a hoof through her daughter’s stiff zebra mane, watching the black and yellow hairs stick back up as soon as she brushed them down. “Just keep bein’ yerself,” she said. “It’s what I always loved 'bout ya.”

Smithy reached for the onyx necklace around her neck. “I wanna give ya this,” she said as she held the precious trinket out for her daughter. “It belonged to yer auntie who I named ya after. Yer daddy gave it to me when we were separated fer the first time. Somehow it lead him back to me. Maybe one day it’ll lead us back together.”

Kizzy stared wide-eyed at the trinket as her mother put it around her neck. “Oh mother, it is so beautiful!” she exclaimed. “I will treasure it always. I promise!”

Smithy smiled as her daughter held the onyx in her hoof the same way she always used to. “Ya better be good to it!” she teased. “It’s brought me a bunch of luck, and it helped bring y’all into mah life.”

Kizzy smiled one last time before leaving. “You will look after my bees while I am gone, yes?” she teased, letting her mother tussle her hair.

Smithy laughed at the little concern as she watched zebras begin boarding the train. “I sure will, every day,” she said. “Now ya be a good girl. Mind Lizza and Salty Ron, and be sure to make some new friends when ya get there.”

Lizza approached the mother and daughter, her face uncharacteristically happy. She brushed away tears of her own as she threw her arms around her former mistress. “I can not thank you enough, Smithy," she said.

Smithy hugged back, relieved to know that all animosities between the two of them could finally be lifted. “Ya better take good care of mah girl,” she replied. “And make sure ya stay happy too. Looks like y’all are in good hands with Salty Ron.”

She watched as Crab Apple and Salty Ron exchanged their final goodbyes, trying to look as manly as they could given the emotional situation. Salty Ron gave Smithy one last hug and a sloppy kiss on the cheek. “I will be good to them, of this you can be sure,” he said. “We are in your debt of thanks.”

Crab Apple gave Kizzy and Lizza one last goodbye before their departure. “Go on, get outta here,” he said as he waved them on. “Don’t wanna miss your train!”

Smithy and Crab Apple stood at the platform until the train rolled out of sight, waving their goodbyes until the train was nothing more than a speck on the horizon. Smithy smiled longingly as she set her hoof back down on the ground. “It was a long time comin’,” she said with a big sigh.

Crab Apple turned to her to see that she had a far away look in her tear moistened eyes. “You know what?” he said as he elbowed her in the side. “I’m real proud a you. It takes guts ta do what you did. Other ponies would a crumbled, but you did good.”

Smithy blushed at the compliment. “I’d be lost without a support group,” she replied as she smiled at him. “Thanks fer stickin’ with me all this time. Celestia knows it ain’t always been easy.”

Crab Apple waved a dismissive hoof in front of her, hoping it would distract her from his own blushing. “Fogetta ‘bout it,” he replied. “It’s what friends do, remember?”

There was a small silence between the two of them at the mention of friendship. Crab Apple cleared his throat uncomfortably. “So, ah,” he said as he rubbed the back of his neck. “Come on. I’ll walk you home.”

PreviousChapters Next