Command and Conquer Headquarters 327 members · 33 stories
Comments ( 4 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 4
Nyerguds
Group Admin

There have been a bunch of updates on the Remaster project recently - gaming websites have begun releasing articles, and some high res footage has been released. An overview:

Previews on Twitter:

Articles on gaming sites:

Interview with Frank Klepacki on youtube:

Some full 4k screenshots at The Games Shed:

And finally, EA_Jimtern's latest Reddit update, on the Corona crisis and its impact on the project:

Nyerguds
Group Admin

Aaand now we got the biggest update of all. C&C1 and RA1 will be open source.

Remaster Update and Open Source / Mod Support
Announcement on Twitter (with an extra image)

MerryGold
Group Contributor

I think the remaster being open source move is meant to kill the open RA project or else take a significant amount of attention away from it.

Nyerguds
Group Admin

Hah. No. People in the OpenRA project are part of the Community Council. We made sure it had a license that made sure projects like that could use it, and they were involved in these discussions.

But honestly, OpenRA never even cared about making their game use the original mechanics. I kind of doubt they will ever integrate substantial parts of it in their project.

Honestly, it seems absolutely baffling to me that the move of making a game open-source could be misconstrued by some people as an effort to kill off a fan project. That's just... totally nonsensical.

Not to mention, other people involved in those discussions were those of the Assembly Armada project, who are reconstructing the C&C games' source code from reverse engineering (something that, for the record, OpenRA never showed any interest in). These projects will go forward by huge leaps because of this, but it also throws a decade of their work down the drain. They're still happy about it, though.

Do note, the code they will release is not complete. They never recovered the full source code of the original games, and filled in a bunch of missing I/O functions with Petroglyph's GlyphX engine. Meaning, parts are missing, and parts are modified where these aforementioned missing I/O pieces are replaced by calls to the equivalent GlyphX functions. Which are not open source.

So you can't just take that source and bake a new C&C or RA exe file out of it. What you get when you just bake a new thing out of it is a mod DLL for the remaster.

So even the Assembly Armada project will still have some work to reconstruct the remainders.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 4