AppleDash 3,014 members · 1,068 stories
Comments ( 23 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 23
LunaTheFox
Group Admin

Have something that you wrote, but don't want to put it up as an actual story? I know I do.
Because my writing is failing spectacularly tonight, I've decided to dedicate a thread to all of those bits of AppleDash writing that would never have seen the light of day.
So, in this topic, post whatever bits of writing, be it stories/scenes/paragraphs, that never made it onto this (or any other) website.

They say one learns most from his mistakes. As such, discussion is encouraged! The mane reason this exists is to learn. That said, if you cut something that was good but didn't fit, that can certainly go here, too!

Rules:
- Please only post your own work, not somepony else's.
- Post your work as a link to somewhere else unless it's less than 3 paragraphs long. (But post it as a link regardless of length if it contains mature content.)
- Make sure it's AppleDash! This is an AppleDash group, after all.
- Be kind and don't bash things. I'd also discourage criticism unless it's asked for. After all, these are deserted for a reason.
- Read at your own risk. See above rule.
- Tag mature things! Some of us don't like clop or gore, so please let us know before we make that startling discovery halfway through.
- If you're linking something, give us an approximation of the word count.

LunaTheFox
Group Admin

I'll go ahead and start this off with my abandoned, untitled fanfic (~7,000 words).
I've decided to not remove any of the comments as they could be useful to learn off of. The comments are notes I made from a livestream critique.

Since I've written this, I've come a long way in realizing just how atrocious it is. My writing is far better now, I assure you. :P

Tchernobog
Group Admin

"only your own work"

Aww. I mistyped fimfiction.net as fimfiction.com once. The site actually exists, and has an appledash story I'd love to see continued there... but doubt it will be :(

LunaTheFox
Group Admin

Yeah, I wanted this to be for things that won't ever be posted. Because of that, I think that only the authors themselves should submit things so that there's no fallout from anything. I wouldn't want someone else posting something I had no intention of showing.

Edit:
Perhaps another thread for the sharing of fics that aren't necessarily our 'go to' ones? Someplace to share things like that fic you mentioned.

bookplayer
Group Admin

So I had something in the works very similar to KrazyTheFox's Hearth's Warmin' Eve, but it's been sitting forever. Some of the ideas got scaveneged for The AppleDash Project chapter "What's So Great About Cider," and the rest of them would be a retread of Krazy's fic, so here's the abandoned beginning:

Rainbow Dash was cold. It took a lot to make a pegasus pony who lived in the clouds cold, but the wrestling match she'd just had with a cloud full of snow did the trick, and flying through more snow with the wind in her feathers as Celestia lowered the sun wasn't helping.

As she scanned the ground, she caught sight of the lights on in the Apple family's farm house, and a nice fire, a warm dinner, and some hot cider started calling her name. As she came in for a landing on the doorstep, she tried to figure a way to invite herself to dinner that wasn't going to get a nasty glare from Applejack.

She knocked on the door, thinking that she'd try something about wind velocity making it hard to fly home, since she'd figured out by now that Applejack had absolutely no concept of what wind velocity was, let alone how it affected flight.

AJ opened the door, and before Rainbow Dash could open her mouth she was pulled inside.

“Sweet Celestia, Dash, you look like a snow pony! Get on in here!”

The door closed quickly behind them, and Dash found the inside of the house toasty warm. Not just the temperature, though thanks to a roaring fire the snow covering her started to melt immediately. But the bright earth tones of the house and the Apple family combined with the smell of woodsmoke, apples, and something delicious cooking in the kitchen to give the place a feeling like no cloud house she'd ever been in.

“Thanks, AJ, it was a little chilly out there.” Dash said, smiling and shaking her wings in the doorway.

“A little chilly my hoof. It's so cold the cows are givin' ice cream.” She said, then she called quickly, “Apple Bloom! Rainbow Dash's here. You get her some soup, now.”

<Unwritten, because I usually write things out of order. Apple Bloom brings Dash some soup.>

“Thanks, kid.” She said, smiling at the cute little filly. She always thought Apple Bloom looked like the fillies in kids books, with her big eyes and big bow. That was not the kind of filly Dash had been, in her house there was a lot less 'Thanks, Rainbow' and a lot more 'Rainbow Nora Dash, get down from there!' But it was nice to think that somewhere there were other fillies picking up the slack.

DbzOrDie
Group Admin

WHAT?! How come you're not writing this? I would love a similar fic like Krazy's. You've never even mentioned this idea to me:fluttercry:

bookplayer
Group Admin

There was no real plot, other than "Dash thinks AJ's family and house are weird and amazing." I kind of stole that idea and turned it into what she likes about cider. So then all I had was "Dash hangs out at AJ's house one winter evening" which is not actually a story.

And I have a few ideas like that that I've never bothered to mention. If I don't have enough to write something, there's no point in asking you if I should write it. :ajsmug:

LunaTheFox
Group Admin

Way to put my fic to shame. :rainbowlaugh:
It's great to finally see this topic put to use. :pinkiesmile:

bookplayer
Group Admin

It's rare that I give up on an AppleDash fic. Yours was just so good that I no longer felt the need to write this one. (Now. Watch me around Xmas, I become a fluffy-winter-christmas fic writing machine.)

Now if I had a graveyard for stories I abandoned because it somehow involved writing Fluttershy. . . I could fill a page or two with those.

LunaTheFox
Group Admin

I hope you do. There's not enough fluffy-wintery fics out there and that makes me sad. Winter is my favorite season.

DbzOrDie
Group Admin

Idea or not I love the concept of RD merging with the apple family

Lycan_01
Group Contributor

417182 Who says there needs to be a complex plot or anything? Why can't it just be a little window into the everyday lives of the Apple Family and how Dash interacts with them? I mean, that's what the "Slice of Life" tag is practically for! :pinkiehappy:

Seriously, though, that little selection looked pretty good. I liked the imagery. I could practically feel the warmth from the fire and smell the aroma of fresh country cooking. :rainbowderp:

DbzOrDie
Group Admin

417195>>417267
Write your fic about Dash visiting the apple family.

One of us.
One of us.
One of us.

Tchernobog
Group Admin

I had/have an idea for a sadfic, one of those "the mane 6 are old" type of thing. But rather than be one pony reflecting on the deaths of the rest of them, it's more "one last meeting" of the 6. Thanks to the elements of harmony, they've been kept alive together, through a magical bond of sorts. Eventually, all of them drift off into sleep except for one, essentially dying but being kept "alive" through the magic (probably Twilight, i figure).

Story would go through their various life accomplishments and all that (with a generous helping of Appledash, of course :rainbowkiss::ajsmug: ) reminiscing until the last pony falls asleep herself. And then, when she does, instead of just being a corpse, all six wold become beams of light, blast into the sky and fly over the horizon. Think of the dragon balls after wishes are made. I was figuring each beam (with appropriate color of course ;) ) would go to a hospital or something, where a foal is born right at that moment. Basically, continuing a cycle of sorts. And I figure one such beam would stay right in Ponyville. Probably the orange beam, heading to the very newest Apple family member :pinkiehappy:

I still might get around to it but we'll see :P

Lycan_01
Group Contributor

417273 I'm not gonna tear up. I'm not gonna tear up. Not gonna tear up. Nope. :pinkiesad2:

Tchernobog
Group Admin

:rainbowlaugh:
Probably part of my hesitation to write it. Mostly though because there's too many of them :P
For Appledash, I was figuring that Rainbow had indeed gotten into the wonderbolts, but a) she missed the others too much, and b) was too good for them. Comes back to ponyville, and AJ, whose farm has been doing wonderfully (exceedingly so. Maybe thanks to twi?) has enough money to build a stadium or something of her own, for Rainbow, who founds her own troupe that matches or outdoes the wonderbolts. And all this would bring the pair closer... :pinkiehappy:

(figure i'd put :pinkiesmile: with :yay: .Don't think I'd ship :twilightsheepish: and :raritystarry: together though)

DbzOrDie
Group Admin

I have only one gripe with it, be it a kinda silly one.
I rather want the mane 6 to be together for all eternity in heaven and staying themselves than have them reïncarnate as foals who live apart (I guess they'll form a close friendship again), were educated differently (no RD's cocky behavior, no AJ's family values). I believe that nothing happens twice and the strong bond in friendship and in love that they share now would be lost forever. reïncarnating them basically takes the original mane 6 apart, for-EVAR:pinkiegasp:

Tchernobog
Group Admin

Well, i was more implying that the elements moved on to a new set of friends. But the six themselves would indeed move on. I'd planned on a scene with a teary-eyed celestia talking to luna about feeling them moving on, and the torch passing to a new generation.

DbzOrDie
Group Admin

It would make no sense for the elements to go to foals. Nobody can predict how they'll turn out and I doubt the Apple family is the only non-lying family. Also, they HAVE to form a bond. Instead of the elements appearing when the 6 would became friends naturally, it would be more like: "Hey, I have the element of Honesty." "Cool, I have the element of Loyalty, we must now become Pony Best Friend Forever's."
It's the journey about discovering their element that forged the bond

Tchernobog
Group Admin

They're the elements! Magic! ain't gotta explain crap :P
The elements know what will happen! not nescessarily anyone else. Heck, i see it as celestia knowing that the elements have moved on, but not to where.

DbzOrDie
Group Admin

Well, you could have the elements lay dormant untill the bond is created so it wouldn't be forced.
Convenient timing is a must so nopony freaks out when a beam of light hits their foal, or so they don't know who the next elements will be.

This makes me think of the Air Nomads in Avatar who have thousands of toys but the child who picks 4 specific ones is the new Avatar.

After the test the truth is kept from them until they're 12 and in mlp it could be until the bond has been forged

bookplayer
Group Admin

Have to disagree here. Special connection before they met, anypony? That's a pretty big hint that we're talking about destiny.

DbzOrDie
Group Admin

fine, but still, the bond has to be forged first, the special connection reveal was just the icing on the cake.(the cake is a lie)

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 23