AppleDash 3,013 members · 1,061 stories
Comments ( 1873 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 1,873
Posted
Group Contributor

New thread at the request of the site admins.

I take off put on my wizard pants.

Tchernobog
Group Admin

I remember the days when things were really bugged, and we couldn't see the last page when a thread got to 4 pages... had to make a new one every 200 posts! :rainbowlaugh:

I'm not surprised about this.

I was reading creepy pastas, and I'm alone in my dinning room, alone in the dark... turning the light on... everything is normal here.:twilightoops: Sorry, I ramble!

Posted
Group Contributor

I remember when that last thread was around 200 posts. It sure has been awhile.

Roughhouse
Group Contributor

Aw, I wanted to see how many posts the main thread could reach. It feels like the end of an era. :pinkiesad2:

3132581 But is the beginning of another one!

First_Down
Group Contributor

Likewise. I think I remember you and I joined up within 48 hours of each other. There were about 130 members then. Now it's 10 times that number. Threads couldn't extend beyond a certain point due to limitations. There'd been a couple main threads already because of it. Fewer than a hundred stories to browse through.

The admins have done a good job here. Salud.

Rangelost
Group Contributor

I can't believe people are buying this crap. There is no technical limitation. The number of posts in a thread doesn't do anything. Unless coded by an idiot, posts in a thread are not calculated by the server. Roleplayers are not the cause of Error 502. THE SERVER IS MISCONFIGURED.

THE INCOMPETENCE, IT BURNS!

:twilightangry2:

Posted
Group Contributor

I don't know the technical side to the why, however the way these forums are done is unlike any other forum I post on. Care to chime in with any technical differences from the norm and why it may be an issue?

Roleplayers are not the cause of Error 502. THE SERVER IS MISCONFIGURED.

Just because something is misconfigured does not mean the X is not causing issues due to said misconfiguration.

First_Down
Group Contributor

I don't think you were addressing me specifically but just in case...

When I say "limitations," I was being vague on purpose. I have no idea if the real reason threads have needed arbitrary caps on this site for as long I've been here is the result of something technical, user talent, user (in)competence, or something else. I don't have access to alter the code and I wouldn't be educated enough to understand it even if I did (now my wife on the other hand...). I take it you've already PMed the appropriate people and made your pitch?

Rangelost
Group Contributor

I'm guessing these forums are different from what you're used to because from what I understand, they were coded from scratch. Most people use already existing forum software for maximum efficiency (which obviously isn't the case here).

I'm just venting. I've worked long enough in the field to know that a lot of (professional) programmers haven't the slightest clue what they're doing. There's a huge difference between "it works" and "it works properly", and most people are content with the former. I can't say I care enough to contact the people responsible, and judging from their decisions, I don't think they care enough either anyway.

:twilightsheepish:

It's actually reasonably common for there to be a page limit on forums. In many databases, the resources needed to load a thread grows with the number of posts in the thread.

Rangelost
Group Contributor

Because only a set number of posts are displayed at a time, and because the number of posts in a thread is a stored variable, all non-displayed posts in a thread are not loaded and do not use any resources.

:twilightsmile:

DbzOrDie
Group Admin

I call bullshit on your statement.

Threads used to have a hundred comments per page, so obviously the limit would've been 2 pages :)

Tchernobog
Group Admin

Nope, it was 50 per page, which I think was then changed. :moustache:

DbzOrDie
Group Admin

It was 100 in the very beginning, and now, it's 50

3133406 that depends entirely on how the database handles queries. I know plenty of forums cap threads at a certain number of pages because long threads break shit.

Rangelost
Group Contributor

If some threads had hundreds of millions of posts, I'm not saying; it would probably take a few more milliseconds for the DBMS to find the selected posts to display. Most forums have caps for semantics, though. They're there to encourage people making more threads with different subjects rather than all converse in one huge messy thread. It's not a technical reason at all.

:trixieshiftleft:

On a side note, I'm taking commissions if anyone's interested.

Tchernobog
Group Admin

What's the commission cost of getting back to MS Paint AppleDash? :trixieshiftright:

*ducks*

Roughhouse
Group Contributor

What's the commission cost of you finishing In The Forest? :duck:

Tchernobog
Group Admin

I was in a bit of a snag decision wise on the next chapter, but decided to ditch something I was initially planning on in favor of something else. Now that that block is out of the way, I just need time to write it. :yay:

edit: if we're adding costs to it though... drawings! MOAR DRAWINGS!

Rangelost
Group Contributor

ONE JILLION DOLLARS!

:pinkiegasp:

Rangelost
Group Contributor

Food on my table sounds good.

:trixieshiftright:

DbzOrDie
Group Admin

Does five dollars provide enough food on ze table?

Rangelost
Group Contributor

Per answer?

:rainbowlaugh:

DbzOrDie
Group Admin

That would be your annual salary actually :twilightblush:

Posted
Group Contributor

It has been so long I had to access your user page to even remember what In the Forest is. :twilightoops:

Aww, I'm late to the party. :raritydespair:

Tchernobog
Group Admin

I gotta admit I kinda lost motivation for it for a while. Maybe was a bit too preemptive to release what I had there! :raritydespair:

DbzOrDie
Group Admin

This party never stops :pinkiehappy:

Wait, you're going back to it? :pinkiegasp:

Tchernobog
Group Admin

I'm gonna try to get a chapter of it out sometime. Like I said before, I've tossed out some of the plans i had for the chapter which I wasn't 100% sure I liked. Better now :pinkiehappy: Just gotta write it. :trixieshiftright:

Posted
Group Contributor

This isn't AppleDash related so I am putting this here instead of the art thread.

Someone got a commission made that involved the niftiest representation of a zap apple tree I have seen. The image is much larger and detailed with a full size viewing.

Source

DbzOrDie
Group Admin

Jake's answer in the 'headcanon questions' thread made me think.

Have people ever used Rainbow Dad in an AppleDash fic yet? I kinda wanna see a fic of AJ becoming a part of Dash's family, instead of the opposite happening. Although my headcanon is that Dash's an orphan, I would not be opposed to her parents being alive and well, and act like parents over AJ.

Tchernobog
Group Admin

I kinda did, in one of my chapters of my appledashlight, but he wasn't a large focus or anything.

Posted
Group Contributor

I would imagine that "joining the family" wouldn't amount to much more than visits as it seems that they/he are likely in Cloudsdale with all the logistical problems that represents for AJ.

Now substitute thousands of miles for walking on clouds and you have my family situation. :rainbowlaugh:

3140464 holy crap, I never knew ponies and grumps was a thing I needed

3147114 I have many ideas, though no headcanon yet.

bahatumay
Group Contributor

I've thrown him in one of the older prompt tag entries, but not in an actual story.
This is intriguing, though.

Tchernobog
Group Admin

I remember one where AJ was visiting Dash's family for xmas or something. Huge family with plenty of cousins, brothers and sister, nephews who stole AJ's hat, an ornery grandmother, etc.. can't remember it though.

Tchernobog
Group Admin

Looks like it!

DbzOrDie
Group Admin
BronyNeumo
Group Contributor

3161642 You're welcome!

3162223 I am seriously digging the looks on their faces.

Also, why does nearly every humanized iteration of Applejack I've ever seen feature those same extra-short cut-off jean shorts that look ready to snap right off?

DbzOrDie
Group Admin

Because Applebutt and Applethighs :rainbowkiss:

3162273 Oh you know why

Something random I just thought of...

Tomorrow is April Fool's Day.

I was a long term member of plenty of other shipping forums for fandoms I used to be into. Most of them had this really cool tradition on AFD to where every year, they would have anonymous users make accounts that were associated with characters from said fandom and sort of roleplayed as those characters just for that one day. They would pretty much jump around the forum as they pleased, and the regular users would typically interact with them or just have immense fun with putting those "characters" in awkward/hilarious situations.

Of course, the anonymous users had to act and respond as their respective character, and most of them would try to stay on for most of the day. They normally didn't reveal who they were by the end of it either, but it was always really fun. I was somewhat thinking it'd be kind of cool if something like that could happen here, but I'm sure there are a few reasons why it'd be kind of hard to pull off.

Nice. Though AJ's hat seems pretty huge. :rainbowderp:

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 1,873