I Just Want a Comment 3,688 members · 15,788 stories
Comments ( 4 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 4

“Sunset Glimmer” by Ninjadeadbeard

https://www.fimfiction.net/story/456373/sunset-glimmer

This story is a sequel, one that is a part of a much larger universe which the story takes place in. Though the author says that the previous story is not necessary to understand this one, if you are choosing to go into this story blind to their timeline, then be aware that you will not have the full context that the author intended.

The story itself, however, manages to be clear, and you will understand what is happening. You just might not know why everything is happening. Everything will seem alien and a little unusual, especially since this is a story about Starlight having just given birth.

That said, the story is well written. If you know me as a reviewer you will know that I can have rather strict criteria for grammar and writing. But more than just the basics of good grammar, the author keeps a good flow throughout most of the story, interjecting it with some good comedic timing. Doing this review, I did not have a complete comprehensive understanding of the universe the author had created, nevertheless, I never felt lost or confused as to what was happening.

On the other hand, there were moments that I felt were a little uninspired. In two chapters, back to back, there are characters who exclaim that “they need a drink,” and while alcoholism is all well and good for comedy, it is a trope that is overused in a lot of media. This is just one small example, but my main point is that this story isn’t groundbreaking in its joke, but it’s not bad either.

Comedy helps keep up the flow and make the process of reading the story more enjoyable. Though tagged as a comedy, the jokes are not the highlight and thus are only as good as they need to be to keep the reader interested. You might not laugh out loud at any point, but a few hits here and there might get a chuckle. 

Because this story exists in its own universe, it’s difficult to give a clear rating. If you’re familiar with the author’s work, I’ll say this is going to be in the 9/10 range for you. It’s definitely enjoyable and a character-driven story. 

If you aren’t familiar, this story might hit around the 7 or 8 out of 10 range. Like asking people who don’t know anything about Fallout to read Fallout: Equestria, your mileage with this will vary. The characters are similar to their canon versions, but obviously the unique situation which the author has created throws a wrench in some of their behaviour, developing their characters in a new direction which they have chosen. You will be thrown off by the differences of this world without getting into the rest of it, so if you want to get into this story, it may be better to check out at least one earlier work from the author first.

Thank you so much for the review! Was there anything specific about the story that you liked or disliked? Any scene in particular that jumped out at you, one way or another?

I'm reading this story from the side of someone not very familiar with the continuity, since I haven't read everything. As a result, what I dislike is that the beginning assumes a lot from the reader. Exposition shouldn't be everywhere, but for writing it is very much necessary. Even for canon elements directly from the show, I like to give some background or detailed descriptions so the reader has time to frame how that element is being incorporated into the story. So I think it would've gone smoother in the start of there was some soft exposition that reminded the audience about what they're supposed to know.

I suppose I should have been more blatant about exposition then. I will think about that for when I start my next story. That's one of the things I struggle with the most; not wanting to overload a reader with an infodump.

Was there anything in particular that you liked? Or a scene you'd point out to anyone to see if they'd like/dislike the story themselves?

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 4