The Beginner Writer's Club 39 members · 32 stories
Comments ( 3 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 3
BaitG
Group Admin

Do you have a tip that you want to share? No matter how small, please help writers enjoy their FIMFiction experience. This is getting way too cheesy...

Here's one of my tips:

READ!

It doesn't even have to be about ponies! I have been reading for a while now and let me tell you, that it is great fun and helps you to be better at writing.

I feel that grammar can be picked up easily when writing. I don't look out for specific writing techniques, I just pick it up along the way.

Find some famous stories to read on this site. It doesn't matter about what genre, just start reading!

Put your thoughts below!

Well said! I guess I should do something to add on. :applejackunsure::pinkiehappy: Got it! A mini-genre guide.

Romance Make sure it makes sense. Romance can be tough to understand if not done correctly. Also, if you're writing for a certain age demographic, make sure it's appropriate for them. What would go in a Mature romance would NOT fly in an Everyone's romance, and the age of the ponies counts, too. Fillies don't do what mares and stallions do. There are no Crusader clopfics I can think of; please don't make the first...:twilightoops: Another key point in a good romance is pacing, like any story. Finally, ship SOMETHING YOU LIKE TO SHIP! Some shipfics are by authors that can't stand what they're writing about. Some ponies. Sheesh.:ajbemused: Clop is something I have yet to read or write, but I've heard from hardcore clop-writers and readers that it can't be mindless. Have a romance story behind it.

Dark It needs to be terrifying; dark stories are supposed to make you scared. Fear is so simple, right? Just shivering and glancing at that dark corner? Nope. To write fear, it would be better for those of this group to write about something you've been scared of before, then build up from there. You also want to keep in mind that, if it's a horror story, you need to have a backstory. What causes Character X to murder Character Y? Insanity isn't gonna cut it unless you have a reason. The better ones are suspenseful for dark and horror.

Sad It needs to be really sad. Write about something you yourself had gone through. Have you seen the apocalypse? :unsuresweetie: Didn't think so. Has a beloved one died? :fluttercry: If they did, then sorry. Chronicling sadness like that is a way to be featured. But beware, beware! Characters would react differently to something; would Fluttershy and Rarity react the same way if Angel Bunny died? Even Scootaloo or Rainbow Dash would notice if one of their friends was down in the dumps, and they would do something about it. Go deep and good luck.

Comedy Comedy is widely known as the universally hardest to write in stories or TV. Just because you think something is funny doesn't mean your audience will. I recommend a proofreader, whether you're good at grammar or not. Two comedic people are better than one;. If not making sure your jokes are hilarious, adding some of their own. And, even though it's comedy, don't make it nonsensical. You're thinking random. What was funny in the show? Here's an idea: don't copy it! :ajbemused: The nerve of those who do that...

Adventure Adventures can be a lot of things. It could be a duo of fillies or baby ferrets on a little adventure of imagination. Or maybe an epic war capable of engulfing the universe. Or anything in between. For starting, the smaller, the better. Here's why: smaller doesn't need walls of text of description! No story does, but it's easier to convey what you are saying. Let's say the background fillies, Tornado Bolt and Peachy Petal, are going on an imaginary quest on an underwater adventure. It isn't real, but they think it is through willing suspension of disbelief, or the readers forgiving you for something that doesn't make sense, as long as the rest does. Describe what the fillies are pretending is which. And, in this example (rated E!) have a happy ending! If you were writing something like, say, a traveling showmare, like the Great and Powerful Trixie, you have something new. If she comes from Hoofington to Ponyville, describe what she's riding to get there or what the terrain is if she's saving a few bits. If it's a train, how'd the engine sound? How did the seat feel? Who did she meet? Pacing is important; a good story about this wouldn't be just a one thousand words. Maybe around two-thousand.or so. What color was the train? You really must describe with words. For example, describing her fur as 'blue,' what about 'cyan?' Or 'cerulean?' Perhaps even 'aqua?' Was it 'soft' cyan fur or 'plush' cyan fur? Or in the latter, was that rock she sat on hard or tough? Don't exaggerate and don't lack it. Repetition is a no-no in any adventure. A story like Dragonshy, as the FAQ says, would be a good example. Finally, a warfic. Wars are bloody and dangerous, right? Web wars or regular wars. Get some adrenaline pumping! Have your reasons for it, and describe things with advanced vocabulary. Proofreading for adventures is crucial. Repetition can happen in these, and a proofreader will pick it out.

I'm really tired for now; if anypony's reading, I'll update tomorrow...

A few good examples of the stories I've mentioned.

Romance New Discoveries, Sweetest Gem, Total Magic Pony Island, Lately.
Dark Haven't ready any lately, but I've heard that Past Sins is a good one.
Sad Tiny Wings and Journal. They make you want to cry like crazy.
Comedy New Discoveries, Fluttershy's Bad 'Hare' Day, Cheer On. Total Magic Pony Island is good for if you want a more... mature kind of comedy.
Adventure Wingmares, parts of Fluttershy's Bad "Hare" day, Pirates for a Day! Another one is Equestria: Total War for a war-based fic.

As someone who has never been featured before, I thought that I should offer some advice.

First off, when you write, make sure you want to write. If it ever feels like you're forcing out the words, stop. You'll ruin the story by forcing.

Second, proofreaders are a gift. Keep in mind they are volunteers, so don't be too pushy with them, but if they offer their help then you should take it. The key is not taking the critique well or reading the criticisms with a grin, but to tell them that you're glad they're helping you. It's deceitful I know, but in my opinion it's more polite then going, "You're a douche and you just don't understand my story!"

After that, the next thing is to actually pay attention to their words and to decide if they are worth the attention. Some criticisms literally just say, "I don't like the story because your characters suck," and others will point out minor problems that don't deserve priority. More advanced things like flow and clarity, though important, shouldn't take precedence over grammar and spelling. Fix the big things before you start on the rest.

Third, after you've written your story, leave it for a week or so, then read it again. This makes you feel as if you aren't the author and it's almost as if you're the reader, so you can see some of the less obvious problems. This method works for me, but some of my friends claim it doesn't work for them. I can't promise anything, I can only reveal the method.

Finally, an obvious point, never go overboard. This applies to prose and characters, just don't go too far. Don't drown a paragraph with vivid descriptions unless the object is of the utmost importance in the story and demands the attention. Also, don't give a character so many good qualities that it becomes a Mary Sue, because it's hard to like a Mary Sue. They aren't easily relatable since the majority of people aren't, "amazing, sexy, genius athletes," and as such the Mary Sue will just be a character that's there and is often put into the spotlight that doesn't grab the attention of the reader as well as a balanced character will. Keep in mind that if you're writing is good, you can make it work a bit better, but if you're looking at these tips I'm going to venture a guess that you aren't a pro, so take it slow for now.

Now, although I've already finished with my general tips, I have something else to add that specifically applies to a genre.

Mystery

Although mystery doesn't have a tag of its own, it is a very real genre and it has it's own rules as to how these types of stories should be written. Literally. When writing mysteries in the sense of detectives and solving murders, it is essential that you follow:

Chandler's Law
Knox's The Ten Commandments
and The Twenty Rules

You don't have to follow every single one of these rules, but you should follow at least the majority of them. Chandler's law almost seems like a joke and it definitely isn't one of the necessary rules, but it is immensely helpful and so you should keep it in mind when you're writing a mystery.

I feel I should mention again that I am not a good author, and writing isn't really a hobby of mine, it's just something that I do in my spare time. If this was a list for tip and tricks about how to be a mathematician, my comment would have been 2000 words + :twilightblush:

Good luck with your writing! I hope you do better than me :scootangel:

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 3